Where Are You Volunteering in 2016..... ?

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Re: Where Are You Volunteering in 2016..... ?

Postby Rice » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Rice wrote:PG&E - Mostly Perimeter & Exodus - maybe pick up some Gate proper shifts this year...

No, I don't have extra tickets. Don't ask me how to sneak in. I don't care if you are Larry's lover. If you arn't on Gate road, you have to deal with me or my crew. (By the way, Since Burning Man happens of Federal Land - any LE related tickets/citations/etc have Federal consequences...)

Turns out I am not burning this year. No issues, just taking a year off to do different stuff in possibly less dry conditions...

Hope everyone has an AMAZING burn! :)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:49 pm

I am signed up with ESD-Medical again this year; please cruise by the 12 o'clock med station some night and say hi!

I will let you use our JOTS no questions asked, just sign in as a patient after, make it look like I am doing something please.

Also signing up again I hope for a few shifts at Ice, yay!!! Center Camp Ice is the best dance party on the playa, bar none, I have danced my ass off there for 3 hours straight in the teeth of a dust storm after a long EMS night shift and never stopped grinning! Oh and people gift us booze, which we drink while we are working. 8) Thursday morning after the Penquin Party has the most variety of booze 8) 8) 8) but there is always something tasty and cold to drink. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Come sell ice and dance with meeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby misfit » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:56 pm

>>>>I will let you use our JOTS no questions asked, just sign in as a patient after, make it look like I am doing something please.<<<<

the jots will be locked and you will not have a key... you do know your supervisors monitor eplaya.... :shock:
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Had to google JOTS and found Jews on the Streets. What have I been missing out on?

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:37 pm

Leap wrote:Had to google JOTS and found Jews on the Streets. What have I been missing out on?

JOTS: "Johnny On The Spot, " AKA "Sani-Jon," AKA "Porta-Pottie," all brand names for the Blue Rooms. 8)

misfit wrote:>>>>I will let you use our JOTS no questions asked, just sign in as a patient after, make it look like I am doing something please.<<<<

the jots will be locked and you will not have a key... you do know your supervisors monitor eplaya.... :shock:

Patients can use the JOTS, yes? Yes they can.

I can promise those JOTS will be clean, since, that's what I do between sweeping the station every few hours, to keep awake: spritz the JOTS with vinegar water and wipe them down. They deserve to be admired. They stay admirable a lot longer than the floor stays free of dust, that's for sure. :lol:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:08 am

MyDearFriend wrote:JOTS: "Johnny On The Spot, " AKA "Sani-Jon," AKA "Porta-Pottie," all brand names for the Blue Rooms. 8)

Ah. Thank you. My wife is Jewish but she isn't very good at it. So I wasn't surprised when she hadn't heard of Jews on the Street.

knobdyspcl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Existential Crisis

Postby knobdyspcl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:18 pm

lamplighters... yeah, I think it's gonna be lamplighters. may be able to see some of the city that way.
Mir
the next man burns in 399 days
An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value.

Moonbeams
Camp Name: L'il Orphan Annex

Postby Moonbeams » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:37 am

Ratty wrote:I just signed up for some Census shifts. Got my lab coat and hot pink decor. It's exciting. (Shhhhh. don't tell the Greeters.) I've got my pre-event and post event figured out but my burn week is still a blank. Double Wow! Maybe I really will see some art and stay up late with the grownups.

I am doing some Census shifts as well! I hope I haven't double-booked myself. :shock: Between Random Sampling and Earth Guardians LNT stints, I am going to come into contact with a LOT of peoples!!!!
I HAVE a plan. It doesn't mean the plan is going to work because. you know, GREMLINS!

Insanity in individuals is something rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. - Nietzsche

Moonbeams

Postby Moonbeams » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:46 am

^Rhino! wrote:
Moonbeams wrote:Earth Guardians. MOOP Patrol 4-EVAH! LOL

Earth Guardians here too. I give the "playa dust" lecture.

Darn! I will on Outreach/Compliance then. But we MUST meet! I LOVE desert dust! (I know, that's weird.)
I HAVE a plan. It doesn't mean the plan is going to work because. you know, GREMLINS!

Insanity in individuals is something rare; but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule. - Nietzsche

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Moonbeams wrote:
^Rhino! wrote:
Moonbeams wrote:Earth Guardians. MOOP Patrol 4-EVAH! LOL

Earth Guardians here too. I give the "playa dust" lecture.

Darn! I will on Outreach/Compliance then. But we MUST meet! I LOVE desert dust! (I know, that's weird.)

Playa dust is an obsession and an addiction with me. I've put it in my coffee, even.

A dear friend from the Black Rock Beacon admitted one morning that she was a bit of a wimp....she got out her General Foods' International Coffee in the French Vanilla flavor....her 'sissy la-la coffee'. I had her look at the back label of the coffee. Under "Ingredients" is silicon dioxide, as an anti-caking agent. Then told her what silicon dioxide is...common quartz...in this case, silt-sized and inert. I then picked up a pinch of playa dust off the ground.

"Quartz silt like in playa dust!", I exclaimed, and then dropped the pinch in my coffee, which I promptly drank.

She was a noob, and I had to mess with her head just a little. Harmlessly.

There are some women from Gerlach who sieve the stuff, mix it with distilled, deionized water and make.....BEAUTY CREAM. Smooth and astringent. Picks up the oils right away.

I'm interested enough in playa dust to have had it analyzed using an ICP spectrophotometer, and have even come up with a geologic model for the Black Rock playa which I will use in my PhD dissertation coming up in a year or two. Playa dust with me is like a cat playing with a ball of yarn. FUN!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:29 pm

I've done Man Watch shifts the past three years via my normal BM "job" and I'll be back this year. It's generally pretty low-key- interacting, watching for climbers, tagging, and keeping bikes out of the area, although have been involved in a situation that involved a small blow torch.
Check it out. Civic Responsibility and all that.

From the JRS:
Man Watch is a group of volunteers from other crews at Burning Man who dedicate some time to protect the Man and enhance the experience of all who come to see it. Man Watch volunteers are stationed at the Man Pavilion around the clock starting on Sunday until early Saturday before the burn. They are promoters, guardians, and information givers who enjoy talking to attendees about each year's Man Pavilion and Burning Man in general. Man Watch volunteers also act as docents, facilitating interactive experiences associated with the Man.
Starting this year, Man Watch will be an independent crew open to participants looking to help on the playa. We are looking for volunteers who would like to help build and sustain the new Man Watch crew. If you're interested, please contact EZ Button at manwatch@ you should be able to fill in the rest dot org (joe)

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:54 am

I'm also volunteering as a Pyrocent at the burntanical gardens. I'll be keeping people safe from tripping and falling into the flames... :lol:

seriously though tutus are flammabke
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:58 am

Just got my shifts approved for Greeters for early arrival.

YEA!!!!

Thanks Ratty for the advice.

The dust is calling me home.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:51 am

I'll be volunteering with the Black Rock City Coast Guard
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:10 pm

I've been in every lamplighting procession since I started attending. No plans for that to change, although among the lamplighters nightly for four years really isn't that impressive of a volunteering streak.

kittyrodriguez wrote: Thinking of volunteering at lamplighters one night...

knobdyspcl wrote:lamplighters... yeah, I think it's gonna be lamplighters. may be able to see some of the city that way.

Do come by, guys!

I see knobdyspcl has already commented there, but for the curious, information about lamplighting has its own thread: https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=468&t=77616
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

^Rhino!

Postby ^Rhino! » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I'll be volunteering with the Black Rock City Coast Guard

Semper Paratus, Captain. Semper Paratus.

Works in life, too.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Boyscoutgirl, That is an impressive history. 'We love you lamplighters". Every year I think I'm going to make at least one shift. Maybe this year. Depends how busy I am with Census. Keep up the good work.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:58 am

Ratty wrote: 'We love you lamplighters"

Cheering the procession on is a great way to participate - many of the walk-in volunteers don't really have a clue what they're in for when we tell them about an hour+ of carrying something heavy on their backs for a mile. The cheering helps keep their spirits up.

<3 Ratty
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:35 am

I've often been accused of being an overachiever. In addition to putting together our camp every year, I volunteered for at least 7 four hour shifts for 8 of the last 10 burns. I usually do Greeters and Cafe, which are super fun, getting to meet and interact with tons of new faces and see lots of familiar ones as well. Last year, doing the full theme camp once again after a couple of years of stepping it back, I opted out of volunteering and focused on just the camp and on actually getting out and seeing more of the city. It was a really nice change, although by the end of the week, I was missing the interactivity a bit and took on a four hour shift at Cafe on closing Monday. That was so much fun!!! as it was mostly all of the Cafe managers and leads on the shift due to a lack of volunteers that day. This year I signed up for 3 shifts at Cafe to see if I can find a happy balance. Alas, no Greeters for me this year, but I may just show up there spontaneously... who knows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Postby Blue_Bike » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:24 pm

Now I am getting even more excited about this year's burn, as I have just connected with the DWP, the Department of Wedding Planning, and volunteered my services as an ordained minister to perform up to five playa weddings!

Like so many other volunteer opportunities this one should be a fun way to meet new people and make new friends. I became ordained in 1996 to provide ministerial/ceremonial services for friends and acquaintances (many of whom are heathens, outcasts, pirates, and the like who fear they may be struck by lightning or beset upon by plagues attempting to enter an established organized church), so why not for burners too?

As it may be a few weeks or more before I find out what my wedding schedule will be, and wanting to keep my time open for the weddings and the ePlaya meet & greet, I will wait until I arrive at BRC to volunteer for a few other miscellaneous shifts elsewhere. Greeters, Center Camp Cafe, Icelandia, the Airport, all sound fun to me, as does Gate, Perimeter, and Exodus (I wear black most of the time as is). Really all the opportunities sound interesting. I will be shooting for working with the DPW pre and post event next year. (hmm...both the DPW and the DWP...)

Anyway, this year sign me Reverend Dave. Now, where did I put those vestments. Must have stored them after inspecting the sacramental absinthe.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Postby Blue_Bike » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:30 am

Blue_Bike wrote:...Greeters, Center Camp Cafe, Icelandia, the Airport, all sound fun to me...

Ha. I am sure Icelandia is a cool spot (wherever to f that is), but Arctica is what I was really referring to. :oops:
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Postby winterdream28 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:27 am

This year I have a handful of shifts over at Greeters:) 2nd year doing that, LOVED my first year. Best hugs I have gotten my whole life! I am also doing two shifts over at airport because it seems like a really fun new adventure!
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

Moonbeams

Postby Moonbeams » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:17 am

^Rhino! wrote:
Moonbeams wrote:
^Rhino! wrote:

There are some women from Gerlach who sieve the stuff, mix it with distilled, deionized water and make.....BEAUTY CREAM. Smooth and astringent. Picks up the oils right away.

I'm interested enough in playa dust to have had it analyzed using an ICP spectrophotometer, and have even come up with a geologic model for the Black Rock playa which I will use in my PhD dissertation coming up in a year or two. Playa dust with me is like a cat playing with a ball of yarn. FUN!

Oooo. Women pay LOTS of money for clay masques; I bet this one would go over great in the trendy, expensive spas. The latest and greatest craze in the search for youth! LOL

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:17 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:I've often been accused of being an overachiever. In addition to putting together our camp every year, I volunteered for at least 7 four hour shifts for 8 of the last 10 burns. I usually do Greeters and Cafe, which are super fun, getting to meet and interact with tons of new faces and see lots of familiar ones as well. Last year, doing the full theme camp once again after a couple of years of stepping it back, I opted out of volunteering and focused on just the camp and on actually getting out and seeing more of the city. It was a really nice change, although by the end of the week, I was missing the interactivity a bit and took on a four hour shift at Cafe on closing Monday. That was so much fun!!! as it was mostly all of the Cafe managers and leads on the shift due to a lack of volunteers that day. This year I signed up for 3 shifts at Cafe to see if I can find a happy balance. Alas, no Greeters for me this year, but I may just show up there spontaneously... who knows.

"Ambivalent Man", hahaha! . . . Love the outfit. :D
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:39 pm

If there is anyone on e-playa who is still thinking about volunteering at the Airport this year, you might wish to go ahead and schedule yourself on Shiftboard.

About 85% of the shifts are already spoken for - which means that 15% of the possible ~1,000 shift are still available. There are still an good number of fun shifts, at desirable times and days that remain open.

If anyone needs any help with signing up for a shift at the Airport on Shiftboard, please send me an e-mail and I will help you get signed-up.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:58 pm

I just read that somewhere. Cross posting?
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:49 pm

Ambivalent Man... he just doesn't care. Or does he?
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

^Rhino!

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:55 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:Ambivalent Man... he just doesn't care. Or does he?

He's a friend of Procrastinating Man, who keeps putting off posting, let alone volunteering.
And Apathetic Man, who just doesn't care about the name at all.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

knobdyspcl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Existential Crisis

Postby knobdyspcl » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:22 pm

^Rhino! wrote:
bigbluedoggy wrote:Ambivalent Man... he just doesn't care. Or does he?

He's a friend of Procrastinating Man, who keeps putting off posting, let alone volunteering.
And Apathetic Man, who just doesn't care about the name at all.

I think he's Nihilistic Man.
Mir
the next man burns in 399 days
An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:25 am

Working on trip logistics, but have tickets and pass so I'm leaning in and have scheduled shifts at the coffee shop for my third year.

A man named Pope told me about the good of the coffee shop crew at center and it has become my thing so far.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”