Unplanned volunteering, howto?

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Unplanned volunteering, howto?

Post by sparr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm not a huge fan of bonfires and effigies, so at various burns I often do my volunteering at the time when almost everyone else is watching something big on fire. My usual approach is to find someone involved with volunteer coordination shortly before the big event, ask where they are shorthanded, then go do that thing. I tried this at Burning Man last year and it didn't work, because I couldn't find anyone to ask. Center camp seemed to have been deserted at some point prior to the man burning.

If I were to try this again this year, is there somewhere (more specific than "somewhere in Center Camp") that I might go to find a volunteer dispatcher with a radio who might have a mission for me?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Unplanned volunteering, howto?

Post by ygmir » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:19 pm

probably best to set that up beforehand, if you can.
There are plenty of places to volunteer, but trying to find anyone, at any given time during the event can be problematic.
maybe find some things you'd like and touch bases with a few, and just say you might show up on a certain night, and where to go?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:47 pm

We always recommend on ePlaya that individuals connect with their regional, including for volunteering. http://regionals.burningman.org/ That allows mutual vetting and lays the path for future collaboration. Frankly ePlaya or other social media is not good enough for mutual vetting of strangers at the trust level required for a Burning Man project.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:13 pm

ygmir wrote:probably best to set that up beforehand, if you can.
There are plenty of places to volunteer, but trying to find anyone, at any given time during the event can be problematic.
maybe find some things you'd like and touch bases with a few, and just say you might show up on a certain night, and where to go?
I'm specifically trying to fill in for the people who did this, and then they don't show up.
some seeing eye wrote:We always recommend on ePlaya that individuals connect with their regional, including for volunteering. http://regionals.burningman.org/ That allows mutual vetting and lays the path for future collaboration. Frankly ePlaya or other social media is not good enough for mutual vetting of strangers at the trust level required for a Burning Man project.
This thread isn't about project vetting. I'm asking about volunteering for the teams that make the event happen. Maybe manning a table or a clipboard, maybe carrying things from point A to point B, etc.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Why not plan to do something and then be reliable and show up and do it? That's better than trying to plan to be the unplanned replacement in case someone else is a flake.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Well here's the volunteer page...
http://burningman.org/event/volunteering/teams

And it reads...
If you’re at the event, and you (or your friends) get the sudden urge to volunteer on the spot, visit the V-Spot in Center Camp (located at Playa Info). They’ll hook you up with available volunteer opportunities.
Moments before the big burn is probably not the best time to visit. Perhaps if commit a little earlier you'll have better luck. But then you wouldn't be the "last minute saved the day" guy.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:37 pm

caffeineslinger wrote:Well here's the volunteer page...

And it reads...
If you’re at the event, and you (or your friends) get the sudden urge to volunteer on the spot, visit the V-Spot in Center Camp (located at Playa Info). They’ll hook you up with available volunteer opportunities.
Moments before the big burn is probably not the best time to visit. Perhaps if commit a little earlier you'll have better luck. But then you wouldn't be the "last minute saved the day" guy.
I don't think the advice will get any better than this.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:04 pm

sparr wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:We always recommend on ePlaya that individuals connect with their regional, including for volunteering. http://regionals.burningman.org/ That allows mutual vetting and lays the path for future collaboration. Frankly ePlaya or other social media is not good enough for mutual vetting of strangers at the trust level required for a Burning Man project.
This thread isn't about project vetting. I'm asking about volunteering for the teams that make the event happen. Maybe manning a table or a clipboard, maybe carrying things from point A to point B, etc.
You misunderstood my comment. It's entirely about people vetting.

It applies to new and all burners. And we are thankful for all the volunteers!

I agree, there is some great advice above from ePlayans.

On the playa there are many impromptu volunteer opportunities which one can enter into with a smile and a "Do you need help?" The event is always in need of deMOOPing in the high traffic areas, sound camps and at the trash fence. And you can make it social, "Would you like to join me on making the playa beautiful?"

The only person vetting for that is a smile and a chat.

The "managed volunteer" is best arranged in advance. The "self-managed volunteer" - that is what makes the event run. They sense what needs doing in the moment and do it.

We love self-managed volunteers!

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:09 am

If he were to come by the several of venues were I volunteer and if he were to ask if there were any last minute: lifting, toting or general running around jobs that he could do, the answer would be a polite NO.

The reason for the polite NO is that all the slots at the several places that I volunteer are filled pre-event via the Burning Man Shiftboard and there are hardly (if ever) any no-shows.

If he would like to make a meaningful and non-disruptive volunteer contribution, I would suggest to him that he fill out his Volunteer Profile and select those venues where he would like to volunteer. At the venues where I volunteer, most all the volunteer slots well sought after and they fill very quickly - Pre-Event.

If he were to complete his Volunteer Profile and indicate those venues where he would like to volunteer, In a short period of time he would receive a Welcome Letter from the Volunteer Coordinator(s) of those venue(s) that contain information regarding how to volunteer at the venue(s) that he selected.

As an alternative, he could just walk around the city and MOOP -- which might actually be a much better and non-disruptive arrangement for all concerned.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 am

caffeineslinger wrote:Well here's the volunteer page...

And it reads...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:01 pm

If you are adamant about not volunteering ahead of time then on the morning after an art project burn go look for someone crawling in the dust & ashes picking stuff up. Ask "Hey, I would love to help out. What do you need?"

I think it's pretty common for about 20% of the LNT volunteers to actually show up so it will be appreciated. I did this for Anubis & then volunteered ahead of time for Alien Siege Machine.

I get your point about filling in for someone who blows off their shift but in a sense you are doing that anyway if you volunteer & actually show up.

I'm not going this year so I don't know if Chief Dan Fox is doing a project, but he & his crew are awesome to work with. Great swag too :-)

I would highly recommend showing up early the morning after a burn because the wind picks up after about 9:00 & moop is easier to pick up when it's not going 20 MPH.

If LNT isn't your bag(pun intended) then see what else they need. One thing is for sure, someone is going to bring something really cool & burn it & will need help cleaning it up the next day.

Perimeter is a fun job too & since you don't care if you see stuff burn you would be perfect for it.

Or just be an unsung hero & de-moop by yourself.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

sparr

Post by sparr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:54 am

caffeineslinger wrote:
If you’re at the event, and you (or your friends) get the sudden urge to volunteer on the spot, visit the V-Spot in Center Camp
Moments before the big burn is probably not the best time to visit.
Any idea when they shut down prior to the man burn? I think I was there maybe an hour or 90 minutes ahead of time last year.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:30 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:If you are adamant about not volunteering ahead of time then on the morning after an art project burn go look for someone crawling in the dust & ashes picking stuff up. Ask "Hey, I would love to help out. What do you need?"

I think it's pretty common for about 20% of the LNT volunteers to actually show up so it will be appreciated. I did this for Anubis & then volunteered ahead of time for Alien Siege Machine.

I get your point about filling in for someone who blows off their shift but in a sense you are doing that anyway if you volunteer & actually show up.

I'm not going this year so I don't know if Chief Dan Fox is doing a project, but he & his crew are awesome to work with. Great swag too :-)

I would highly recommend showing up early the morning after a burn because the wind picks up after about 9:00 & moop is easier to pick up when it's not going 20 MPH.

If LNT isn't your bag(pun intended) then see what else they need. One thing is for sure, someone is going to bring something really cool & burn it & will need help cleaning it up the next day.

Perimeter is a fun job too & since you don't care if you see stuff burn you would be perfect for it.

I see what you did there
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:37 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:If you are adamant about not volunteering ahead of time then on the morning after an art project burn go look for someone crawling in the dust & ashes picking stuff up. Ask "Hey, I would love to help out. What do you need?"

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:13 am

:lol: ^ yep
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

sparr

Post by sparr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:19 am

I'm already comfortable with the amount of time I put into art projects. I'm aiming more here for contributing to main event volunteering teams as well.
FlyingMonkey wrote:Perimeter is a fun job too & since you don't care if you see stuff burn you would be perfect for it.
If I sign up in advance, it's likely to be for perimeter, but that won't be until at least when I know I have a ticket and can go, and last year they weren't accepting more volunteers by the time that happened for me.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:35 pm

projects are always looking for perimeter crew before the burns. depending on fueling or other needs, perimeter may need to be established as early as noon. First day you get to the event, go to the Artery(closed 12 -1 ) and ask about volunteering. The perimeter volunteer list will likely be at the Fire Art Safety Team desk.

Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:31 am

you know if you can't find the volounteer spot at playa info right by centre camp you might not want to do any volounteer work. because if you are unable to find on of the most visible spaces on centre camp you will probably be one of those no-shows you are looking to replace
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:29 am

If you were really wanting to contribute to main event volunteering teams you'd make things easier for them by signing up, then showing up and doing it.
That's what they need. You're not interested in that, you're interested in being that square peg in the round hole.
You're trying to get the credit/glory/praise for dropping in and saving the day without actually having to be one of the reliable people they can count on.

Helping an art crew clean up ashes isn't fun enough... no glory in that. You'd be more actual help if you did that, but that's not the mission here.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:41 am

Adding to what is said, the department front line managers (most all are unpaid volunteers) who you are requesting to accommodate you at the last minute are under the stresses of BM every minute on playa. If you look back at the history of the event, I can't think of a serious error made by a manager that affected the participants in a serious way. And every year the departments review what went right and what to improve. And they do it.

That is because they are largely working with prescheduled volunteers with a proven track record, who have done the job before. Their minds are not distracted by unwanted last minute unproven volunteers to train and supervise.

But here is a thought experiment, join DPW for the entire event. That's the real no-bullshit bootcamp. Or volunteer for Playa Restoration, same.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Wants to sit at a desk or hold a clipboard, certainly not looking to help too much or break a sweat.

Next avatar will be a candid while in "volunteer" mode with a cape on...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:09 pm

You ask so many inciteful questions that it's difficult to tell whether you're trolling, or you're genuinely unsure about some of these things. Taking your question at face value, I'd say your experience is the result of your own self-fulfilling prophecy.

Walk-up volunteering tends to be low-responsibility, minimal stuff that requires little to no training or supervision. It's great for a start, or when you genuinely know you won't be able to make any kind of prior commitment for training or scheduling... but that's it.

The bulk of things that people need help with do require some kind of prior planning and effort. A team or project looking at a prospective new person needs to get a sense of that person's skills, or provide some kind of training or supervision before they let a stranger loose with whatever their thing is. Not doing that could result in stuff getting broken or stolen, or lead to people getting hurt (or even killed, depending on what's going on).

Sure, a lot of camps and projects find themselves hard up for coverage during big burns... but they often will choose the more responsible route of shutting things down during a big burn rather than leaving things in the hands of a complete stranger (who could easily do more harm than good).

If you just want to help and don't care what capacity you're helping in, then by all means keep it low impact. At the very least, just turn up at any bar, sound camp, or art installation that isn't prepping for a big burn... and start MOOPing. It is genuinely helpful stuff that an artist, crew, or camp would need to do themselves anyways... so go for it. If you want to do something more significant, then step up and commit. Whether it's pre-event, or just stopping in on-playa at the start of the burn and letting them know you're interested in helping and would be available on a burn night... that gives them the chance to get to know you, assess you, and train you (if needed) first.

Good luck!

sparr

Post by sparr » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:17 pm

graidawg wrote:you know if you can't find the volounteer spot at playa info right by centre camp [...] if you are unable to find on of the most visible spaces on centre camp
I found it. It was unmanned.
Last edited by sparr on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparr

Post by sparr » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Helping an art crew clean up ashes isn't fun enough... no glory in that. You'd be more actual help if you did that, but that's not the mission here.
That's not the mission here because I already do that. I'm quite content with the amount of volunteering I do for art projects. I'm looking to also do some volunteering for the event.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Anyone looking to volunteer can simply go to their Burner profile, (you'll find it in the 'stuff and things' drop-down list), and click on BRC Participation. Put a check mark next to the department that you would like to help and wait for an email. That dept will contact you and fill you in on what the job entails. Most have a sign up board available before the event. It's both helpful and satisfying.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

sparr

Post by sparr » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Ratty wrote:Anyone looking to volunteer can simply go to their Burner profile
I'm not going to commit to a volunteer shift before I have tickets, and I might not have tickets until a month or week before the event. And I'm not going to commit to a single department because that makes me unavailable for anywhere else that might have need. I recognize that some people need a lot of structure. I don't. I'm hoping that my flexibility is valuable to someone. If not, so be it.

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:29 pm

sparr wrote:
graidawg wrote:you know if you can't find the volounteer spot at playa info right by centre camp [...] if you are unable to find on of the most visible spaces on centre camp
I found it. It was unmanned.
You could volunteer to man the volunteer booth. It appears that they're short handed there.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:53 pm

sparr wrote:I'm not going to commit to a volunteer shift before I have tickets, and I might not have tickets until a month or week before the event.
You're doing it all wrong.

Sign up for a dozen things right now. If you don't end up getting tickets, fuck 'em. Its not like the BORG gives a rats ass one way or another.

Might actually motivate them to rethink their whole ticket shtick if enough people treated the BORG with the same kind of consideration they individually receive.

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:13 am

>>>>You could volunteer to man the volunteer booth. It appears that they're short handed there.<<<< :twisted: classic
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

sparr

Post by sparr » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Sham wrote:You could volunteer to man the volunteer booth. It appears that they're short handed there.
I doubt it would work, since that's a position that probably involves radio training, among other things, but it's a thought. I'll ask, if I catch them while they are still there.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”