Unplanned volunteering, howto?

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Unplanned volunteering, howto?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:25 pm

It probably also requires someone with the wits to distinguish reality from sarcasm.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:It probably also requires someone with the wits to distinguish reality from sarcasm.
I half understand what you mean here Cap'n.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:52 pm

That's why you're still just GP&E and haven't made Playa Info yet.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:That's why you're still just GP&E and haven't made Playa Info yet.
Ashamed-Achiever.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:34 pm

in the spirit of inclusion, i have decided to volounteer for something and not turn up. i just havent decided what yet.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:50 am

It's never really been cool to act jaded about stuff that everyone else is excited about. No one thinks "Oh that guy is so blasé and jaded and cool, he doesn't even care about the burn, he's trying to find a clipboard to stare at instead. My pussy is now dripping."

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:49 pm

maladroit wrote:It's never really been cool to act jaded about stuff that everyone else is excited about. No one thinks "Oh that guy is so blasé and jaded and cool, he doesn't even care about the burn, he's trying to find a clipboard to stare at instead. My pussy is now dripping."
I know. It's less cool to act excited about something I'm not excited about, though.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 am

sparr wrote:I know. It's less cool to act excited about something I'm not excited about, though.
And that my friend is why, at lest on this message board, you come across as a self-absorbed, narcisistic prick.

It's called empathy and is a core part of any social experience.

Who knows, you might be a genuinely pleasant person face to face, but man, in message board posts ya go South real fast.

Fixing that might be a great volunteering experience.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 am

Token wrote:
sparr wrote:I know. It's less cool to act excited about something I'm not excited about, though.
And that my friend is why, at lest on this message board, you come across as a self-absorbed, narcisistic prick.

Who knows, you might be a genuinely pleasant person face to face, but man, in message board posts ya go South real fast.

Fixing that might be a great volunteering experience.
+9
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

sparr

Post by sparr » Sun May 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Token wrote:
One of us doesn't know what empathy is, and it's not me.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 am

You could go home early and beat the traffic, rather than roaming around feeling at loose ends. I'm thinking....Monday morning before the burn? Should be a smooth Exodus.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon May 02, 2016 8:24 am

sparr wrote:
Token wrote:
One of us doesn't know what empathy is, and it's not me.
Sparr, one of you is a troll and it is you.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Mon May 02, 2016 9:43 am

Bear witness to the amazing troll-boy in his natural environment... Could have been part of last year's sideshow act
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

sparr

Post by sparr » Tue May 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Dr Helix wrote:Sparr, one of you is a troll and it is you.
You, too, seem confused. I am not trolling. I am honestly and actively looking for answers to the question I posed at the top of this thread, for reasons directly related to the substance of the question. I am not asking questions just to make people angry or start arguments. The people who disagree with what I'm looking for are the ones who want to argue.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Well you can't plan to show up at the right place and time unplanned.
If you really wanted to volunteer and be of usable service, you'd work WITH the departments and people trying to get shit done, instead of insisting on working against them. You come across pretty screwy, expecting to just show up and be the man.
You don't have to volunteer for anything. But if you do want to, people are telling you how it works and you reject it. That's what looks like trolling.
It also makes it clear you don't really want to be helpful you just want to be the guy who appears to save the day.
If I need a volunteer to teach a spur-of-the-moment class in bottoming while tied up, I'll send out the bat signal, maybe you'll see it.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 pm

It's more like he knows how it works, comes in pretending not to know, gets told how it works (verifying what he already knows), and then proceeds to tell everyone how it SHOULD be while offering nothing in the way of making that change happen.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Tue May 03, 2016 4:45 pm

sparr wrote: If I were to try this again this year, is there somewhere (more specific than "somewhere in Center Camp") that I might go to find a volunteer dispatcher with a radio who might have a mission for me?
No.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue May 03, 2016 5:22 pm

If you're unable, or unwilling, to commit prior to the event, visit Center Camp and ask around early in the week to see who can put you in touch with people on the ground. Who specifically? Who knows. The situation is fluid once the event begins, so you'll have to play it by ear. It's just how it happens. It'll be a detective adventure.

You may also sign up for volunteering now with the expectation that you'll be available. Then when confirmation comes around later this year you can inform them whether or not you can make it. It's not a problem. Plans change, etc. Anyway, your volunteering is predicated on whether you get a ticket in the first place, so you're not "flaking out" and earning a bad reputation. In fact, it'll at least give the people in charge an estimate on the number of people they can have involved, either this year or next.

Whatever you do, the earlier you get in contact with whomever is in charge, the better.

There's not much else to it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 am

BBadger wrote:Anyway, your volunteering is predicated on whether you get a ticket in the first place, so you're not "flaking out" and earning a bad reputation. In fact, it'll at least give the people in charge an estimate on the number of people they can have involved, either this year or next.
Whatever you do, the earlier you get in contact with whomever is in charge, the better.
That idea is so alien to me. It blows my mind that people are signing up for volunteer shifts without having tickets.

maladroit wrote:It's more like he knows how it works, comes in pretending not to know, gets told how it works (verifying what he already knows)
Am I imagining the people who said "how it works" includes going to the volunteering spot at center camp, or are you just as bad at reading today as you have been in all the other threads you've been trolling me in?

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed May 04, 2016 9:32 am

Sparr, one of you is a troll and it is you.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed May 04, 2016 9:46 am

sparr wrote:
Dr Helix wrote:Sparr, one of you is a troll and it is you.
You, too, seem confused. I am not trolling. I am honestly and actively looking for answers to the question I posed at the top of this thread, for reasons directly related to the substance of the question. I am not asking questions just to make people angry or start arguments. The people who disagree with what I'm looking for are the ones who want to argue.
Pretty sure you have received many genuine answers & suggestions. Do what ever you want.

So.......... I guess there's nothing more to say on this topic.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed May 04, 2016 9:52 am

Lock it up mods...

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed May 04, 2016 10:04 am

Jackass wrote:Lock it up mods...
He will start a new thread :-)

I just looked & my foe list was nearly empty so I just added one more. *Plunk*

So I guess that's one less person to spar with :-)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 am

These threads are about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. Although they're great to visit if you need a quick lesson on how to argue over minutia, or if you want to learn more about failed logic.

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed May 04, 2016 11:31 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:I guess there's nothing more to say on this topic.
I wish the people with nothing more to say would stop saying more. I'm still hoping to hear from the people who suggested visiting the volunteer spot at center camp, re how far ahead of the burn that spot closes down.

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed May 04, 2016 11:57 am

Commenting about or arguing with Sparr is useless. He will just find another way to twist it back to more responses, more arguing over nothing. My Dad's take on this is this: Discussions with someone like Sparr is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while, you get the impression the pig is enjoying himself. And so it is with him. I agree that this topic has been beaten to death. But hey, I also admit to a perverse sort of enjoyment in this so stop or go, I'll be watching.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed May 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed May 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Jackass wrote:These threads are about as useless as a screen door on a submarine. Although they're great to visit if you need a quick lesson on how to argue over minutia, or if you want to learn more about failed logic.
The OP started with a what I thought was a reasonable question, received a fair share of snark but also some good advice. it should have died on page 1.

I have to admit that this thread is much better now that I can't see about 1/2 of the replies :lol:

I try to help out where I can but when someone argues just for the sake of arguing then my foe list gets new members. I don't do it often & it takes a lot for me to do it at all. I don't think that I'll miss his insight.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”