volunteering with GPE

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

volunteering with GPE

Postby ygmir » Wed May 11, 2016 2:16 pm

If you have any curiosity (Gate curious?) of how the Gate/Perimeter/Exodus dept. works, what it takes to get people in and out of the city, securing the boarders, all that, you might consider volunteering for GPE.
We work hard, and play hard.
Most wear black, and we always have cool tshirts and swag.
Drink at the Black Hole bar.
It can be hard, hot, cold, dusty, and or muddy.
You can end up dealing with some of the greatest, or most frustrating participants.
You can learn the ins and outs of how the people and event are kept within the BLM and other rules, and what it takes.
See the city, from another perspective, whether it be 1/2 mile outside the trash fence, day or night, in the lanes during ingress, or helping with traffic and such, for exodus.
Shifts are available 24/7, and mostly 6 hours.
There are snacks.
You get respect, and a job that really is important to each event, and ensuring it's future.
The more shifts you do, the better the perks.
If interested, post here, or go to the main BM web page, where you can read about the different departments, jobs, and how to volunteer.
The V.C. team will take your application, and be in contact, if you so choose.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Re: volunteering with GPE

Postby Sham » Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 pm

I like it. :D

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed May 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Those shirts are pretty cool...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Let me add in a couple links....

Gate Perimeter and Exodus team web site - check it out

And this piece is a couple years old, but still pretty awesome and worth watching....

highwayman
Burning Since: 2013

Postby highwayman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:27 pm

I have been wanting to be in Black since 2014 when I met Ziptie & others at The Black Hole. I was amazed that I finally found my peers. It i one thing to participate in our intentional city but its another to find your species & breed. I recall asking a ranger for directions to the Black Hole was & he was like" are you sure that you wanna go there" He said that he went there once on his duties as the postman & that they were mean to him? I chuckled & rode my exterminator chopper bike there.

I was greeted like a long lost brother in arms. I happened to be wearing all Black in a sort of hybrid default world attire, some Prickies brand cargo shorts, a pair of Chuck Nailer leather hightops, my dusty mohawk & a Dropkick Murphys tank top. Wouldnt you know that the only people who complimented me on my shirt & even knew who my fav fucking band was were the guys of Gayte. I was newly sober in 2014 & didnt make it to party with them & ended up leaving the playa before the Temple burn in order to drive out to Baker Beach for a little private secondary BM pilgrimage. I have been a member of small teams where camaraderie runs deep like that back when I was in the USMC, on tour with DKM & elsewhere in the default world. I could feel the connection instantly, may be even before (there was like a curious magnetic force that led me to visit the black hole in he first place) and I havent yet done a shift there.

I sent a few emails to the vc last year but didnt end up making it to BRC for 2015. I just recently reached out to their VC again. Again for 2016 I have yet to secure my ticket. I have however been gifted a seat aboard a small 4 seater prop airplane from Boston to Black Rock City airport, NV88 So I must get home & be among "my" people and experience these attainable bucketlist type stuff. It appears that the universe is attempting to allow me to get back in 2016. Hopefully the VC will accept me into the ranks of G, P & E.

#nohugs #onceyougoblack
No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun."

Suicide note of Raoul Duke aka Hunter S. Thompson.

winterdream28

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:11 pm

trilobyte wrote:Let me add in a couple links....

Gate Perimeter and Exodus team web site - check it out

And this piece is a couple years old, but still pretty awesome and worth watching....

Thanks for sharing this video Trilobyte, very education for me. I always tried to understand the different vibes, this made me open my eyes and understand more.
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:31 pm

I thought the video rocked, too. Keep your eyes open for other pieces put together by the Love Project, I think they do an excellent job of shedding light on different groups at Burning Man and all the things they do to make it all happen.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joeln » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Yggy,
not going this year but very interested for 2017.

-Joel
Collapse first and avoid the rush

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 am

Joeln wrote:Yggy,
not going this year but very interested for 2017.

-Joel

dang Joeln. We'll miss ya, but yeah, next year, come have fun and chase hippies with us!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Blue_Bike
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: As of 2017, Rootpile Bluegrass Camp

Postby Blue_Bike » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 pm

Ygmir,

Sure I am gate curious. Isn't everyone a teeny bit curious at least? But I am even more perimeter curious. Like Highwayman, my default world attire is almost exclusively black. And like many others here I really like those t-shirts, and would love the chance to wear GPE's black. My volunteer questionnaire is already filled out (and I believe uneditable at this time}. I have volunteered for duty as a Minister for the DWP (Department of Wedding Planning) and am waiting for assignments/schedule. And although GPE was compelling, on my questionnaire I checked DWP (under other) for this year and DPW (Department of Public Works), indicating my interest in working with them in 2017 pre and post event helping with the build and strike teams.

It is looking like I may be arriving early (Saturday at sunrise with an EA pass). After setting up I will be looking to volunteer my time and efforts on the spot where needed. I will certainly know my wedding schedule by then and want to do multiple additional shifts with another department or two. Last year was my first burn and I did not volunteer with any groups, although I stayed over until Tuesday, spending most of Monday working solo as a MOOP Abatement Devil (yes, 2015's abundant airborne playa dust had made me a MAD man :evil: ).

Might GPE be interested in considering another volunteer at that point? I have seen the video and read the requirements and description of duties on the GPE web page. I believe I am prepared for the toughest and most rewarding of jobs in BRC.
Fearlessly be Honest.
Honestly be Kind.
Tirelessly be Passionate.
Passionately be Creative.
Openly be Joyful.
Mindfully be the Person You Want to Be.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 am

Blue_Bike wrote:Ygmir,

Sure I am gate curious. Isn't everyone a teeny bit curious at least? But I am even more perimeter curious. Like Highwayman, my default world attire is almost exclusively black. And like many others here I really like those t-shirts, and would love the chance to wear GPE's black. My volunteer questionnaire is already filled out (and I believe uneditable at this time}. I have volunteered for duty as a Minister for the DWP (Department of Wedding Planning) and am waiting for assignments/schedule. And although GPE was compelling, on my questionnaire I checked DWP (under other) for this year and DPW (Department of Public Works), indicating my interest in working with them in 2017 pre and post event helping with the build and strike teams.

It is looking like I may be arriving early (Saturday at sunrise with an EA pass). After setting up I will be looking to volunteer my time and efforts on the spot where needed. I will certainly know my wedding schedule by then and want to do multiple additional shifts with another department or two. Last year was my first burn and I did not volunteer with any groups, although I stayed over until Tuesday, spending most of Monday working solo as a MOOP Abatement Devil (yes, 2015's abundant airborne playa dust had made me a MAD man :evil: ).

Might GPE be interested in considering another volunteer at that point? I have seen the video and read the requirements and description of duties on the GPE web page. I believe I am prepared for the toughest and most rewarding of jobs in BRC.

HI Blue_Bike.
If you have filled out the questionnaire, and have gotten word back of acceptance, I believe you can sign up for shifts on playa, as they open.There is a kiosk of sorts, usually in or near the Black Hole, which shows *pretty much* real time shift availability.
It might be a good idea to send a message to the V.C. team and ask specifics of eligibility, but I think once in the system, you can sign up. Also check to see if there is mandatory training related to any of the jobs you want to try. If so, most of said trainings are available on playa.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Slug
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CampDIY

Postby Slug » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:24 am

I fucking LOVE working Gate. 2014 was my first year and enjoyed every second of it. It does take a certain breed to enjoy standing in the lanes for 6 hours; I actually prefer gate to sitting in AC working Perimeter. And you run the risk of getting run over by sleep-deprived, hyper excited Birgins. That said, to anyone considering volunteering: DO IT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Ano » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:58 pm

Gate is great. Makes my burn complete. My favorite part of Gate is where I gate the hell out of some crazy shit.

Do Gate. 'Cause it's great.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 am

Perimeter is pretty cool - even just the training for it, very unique experience.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:01 pm

C.f.M. wrote:Perimeter is pretty cool - even just the training for it, very unique experience.

haah you were in on quite the cluster ride along...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Ha ha, it was pretty exciting. I don't know if I could handle it, if it was that crazy the whole shift. :P

I'd already done something similar earlier in the week on my Ranger shift, driving around Esplanade/playa keeping an eye out for untagged, speeding, and otherwise nope art cars. Not quite as thrilling.

But it was cool to see the city laid out on a GPS...

Jack Wolf

Postby Jack Wolf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Is there still an opportunity to volunteer here? My girlfriend and I have our tickets and we are both strong workers.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:20 pm

Jack Wolf wrote:Is there still an opportunity to volunteer here? My girlfriend and I have our tickets and we are both strong workers.

have you filled out the volunteer forms on the main site?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Jack Wolf

Postby Jack Wolf » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:42 pm

ygmir wrote:
Jack Wolf wrote:Is there still an opportunity to volunteer here? My girlfriend and I have our tickets and we are both strong workers.

Just updated my profile and filled out the questionnaire.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Jack Wolf wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Just updated my profile and filled out the questionnaire.

you may have missed the cut off. It depends on when the questionnaire gets in the queue
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

codaks2
Burning Since: 2016

Postby codaks2 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi I would like to volunteer.

otakup0pe
Burning Since: 2012

Postby otakup0pe » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Here's another fun video. This was my first perimeter shift.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 am

otakup0pe wrote:Here's another fun video. This was my first perimeter shift.

well congrats, and welcome!
How was it?
Who, was your lead (s)?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Picky
Camp Name: Black Rock City Census

Postby Picky » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Hey there, just wanted to say that this thread inspired me to volunteer with Gate this year, and I'm so glad I did. The people were welcoming, funny, hardworking (when necessary), and badass. Also got in a little training/shift goodness with Exit Lane on Friday morning, and that was also a great time. These departments have their business together and made sure us new bloods had plenty of training, support, and laughs. Also, I got to meet Elliot on the transpo bus one verrrry early morning, which was a nice surprise. :) My only regret is that I didn't climb the tower!

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:02 pm

yay Picky!!
did you any other than "gate" actual?
feedback is always appreciated.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Picky
Camp Name: Black Rock City Census

Postby Picky » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24 am

Only at gate actual this year, since I didn't have too many shifts (I work for another department as well, and I was on-boarded super late - my fault). Next year I'll sign up sooner and explore some other options. Could be fun to do airport or staging, I think. What are the most sought-after spots?

It was pretty awesome - Friday morning (6am) ingress was super slow, and I asked my shift leads if some of us could get exposure to other roles until it picked up. They were very flexible and open to letting us move around and learn more, which was great for someone like me who likes to stay busy. Exit lane that morning was definitely a highlight, I think that's a pretty good fit for me. Hoping to get an invite back next year. We shall see!

Another thing that worked well was the mentor system. My mentor (Tyrone) was knowledgeable and thoughtful - and he checked up on me whenever we ran into each other out and about. Definitely felt welcomed by everyone over there.

ygmir

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Picky wrote:Only at gate actual this year, since I didn't have too many shifts (I work for another department as well, and I was on-boarded super late - my fault). Next year I'll sign up sooner and explore some other options. Could be fun to do airport or staging, I think. What are the most sought-after spots?

It was pretty awesome - Friday morning (6am) ingress was super slow, and I asked my shift leads if some of us could get exposure to other roles until it picked up. They were very flexible and open to letting us move around and learn more, which was great for someone like me who likes to stay busy. Exit lane that morning was definitely a highlight, I think that's a pretty good fit for me. Hoping to get an invite back next year. We shall see!

Another thing that worked well was the mentor system. My mentor (Tyrone) was knowledgeable and thoughtful - and he checked up on me whenever we ran into each other out and about. Definitely felt welcomed by everyone over there.

thanks,for the thoughtful feedback. that's all good info, and good to hear.
I work for the Perimeter dept. on playa along with another role for GPE in general. I have a third role mostly off playa.
We encourage people to explore other roles and departments, and find what they like best. one or several roles, the most important is that you have fun and feel valued, because, you are!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”