Man Watch!

A unique and distinctive culture emerges from the Burning Man experience. Rooted in the values expressed by the Ten Principles, this culture is manifested around the globe through art, communal effort, and innumerable individual acts of self-expression. To many, it is a way of life.
Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Man Watch!

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:04 pm

I decided to become a full fledged Man Watcher for 2016. I've usually had opportunities to volunteer for a shift or two during the event, but this year Man Watch has become it's own department and I dove right in. It's a pretty interesting gig and if you want any info on what it entails, check out the JRS from late June: Jack Rabbit Speaks

Anyway, I got so excited about it, I drove up to the playa last weekend and camped out at the coordinates of the Man, which were conveniently marked out with a few nice doughnuts. It was pretty surreal-sleeping on top of my trailer with not a person or vehicle in sight, stars up above with the only music coming from the wind.
Here's some "Before" video. Fingers cross I get permitted to shoot some "During" video over the course of the event.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Man Watch!

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:30 pm

I've been a full fledged man watcher for years...

Cool video
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:38 pm

What do you fly Joe?
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:01 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:What do you fly Joe?

Plain old DJI Phantom. I started with a 1 then 2 and now a 3. I use a third party app for fpv.
Flying is easy. Editing, as I'm learning, is a whole 'nother science.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 pm

Gorgeous, without everything there! . . . . (Gorgeous, WITH everything there).

I guess it's always gorgeous. A lovely change, seeing it so empty.

Thank you, Joe!
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:03 pm

Just_Joe wrote:Plain old DJI Phantom. I started with a 1 then 2 and now a 3. I use a third party app for fpv.
Flying is easy. Editing, as I'm learning, is a whole 'nother science.

You fly FPV with goggles or flat screen? What app? I thought DJI had those pretty locked down. (short of jailbreak) Haven't got into FPV yet. Still scratch building and flying LOS. Fell for the Pocket Drone Kickstarter fail. (another example of poorly planned execution) Ended up moving all the gear to another Hobby King 'tri' frame. I have it and another about an hour from flying.

I have a couple of Hubsan X4s I learned on, a 350mm 3s, Open-X quad and a 600mm 4s Hex. I throw them around the sky pretty good, all orientations. Started playing with Flight Controllers to do more 3D flying. Then BM happened and I haven't done anything with them since March...... To bad they don't have an area opposite the airport, outside of the camping area we could fly for fun. But too many idios with $1000 to burn and no skills to fly.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:57 am

That video is just so awesome. The idea of "Before" and that a city of 70K people will soon be there is just mind blowing. What a beautiful experience that must have been to be out there all alone.

Kind of makes the dust pulse in my veins.

Thank you.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Roundabout » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:04 am

I am curious about how it is that the man site is already staked out. I have not seen anything about the "golden stake" ceremony taking place yet. The golden stake places the point from which all other points are determined. Did I miss it?
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

Roundabout wrote:I am curious about how it is that the man site is already staked out. I have not seen anything about the "golden stake" ceremony taking place yet. The golden stake places the point from which all other points are determined. Did I miss it?

Nope. I saw a photo of several people milling around it on an official channel but can't find it now on either "Voices" of FB. In any event, after a little Googling, I found it at : http://innovate.burningman.org/dataset/ ... -map-data/
It's the same spot as last year.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Being marked out with donuts is vastly different than the whole golden stake and official survey point. The closure order goes into effect in a couple weeks, and from that point building Black Rock City will begin on site.

I think the geo-coordinates of the man are popular amongst people who go out there with a GPS.

Great video, Just_Joe! Good luck in getting one of the coveted drone permits for this year - you've got a good eye for aerial photography, I'd love to see you get to take some footage of this year's amazing art.

winterdream28
Burning Since: 2013

Postby winterdream28 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:09 am

I really loved the video:) It added a spark to my day. Thank you:)
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Corvus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:58 am

trilobyte wrote:I think the geo-coordinates of the man are popular amongst people who go out there with a GPS.

Yup. I've been putting the Golden Spike co-ordinates into my navigator for a few years now. When I made it for the first time to Fourth of Juplaya this year, I made a point of driving out to the 2015 location and looking around. There was nothing to see (duh).

It's odd this year's spike is exactly the same as last year's. The BLM likes to move things around to keep the streets from making perma-grooves in the playa surface like has happened with the east and west roads. I suspect they just haven't updated anything yet.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:23 am

Moving the location of the city is something that Burning Man instigates (though I'm sure the BLM likes it too), and it's generally done every 2-3 years. Stay tuned to the innovate site, should they decide to make a location change for this year the updated coordinates will be posted there.

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm doing it again! Watching the Man.
This year there will be no spinning and no handstands---Just a Man in a Temple.

If you want any info about this fun volunteer "job", shoot me a pm.

I probably posted it somewhere in here, but if not, here's the "after" video from my OP.

Return to “Get Involved Year-Round”