All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.
mojo

Postby mojo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm

My sweet Robbidobbs - I have a couple of suggestions. I've been a greeter for years and I think a couple of things will make it easier for me to get the message across EACH AND EVERY TIME.

In a dust storm, the greeter is often face into the wind, eating the dust by having to talk. I will volunteer to make some laminated signs for greeters to hold up. These would be of particular good use during the times when the greeter's station is slammed with cars. It's just a message that requires redundancy.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:49 pm

That is an excellent idea. I remember that Sweethang use to have on the Greeters white board: "If you say nothing else, talk about the porta potties." I would like to have this modified: If you say nothing else, talk about baby-wipes. I think the more specific the better. If we can nail this one aspect the quality of life for USS could be greatly improved.

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 am

Greetings Campers,
Below is an open letter to all Mayors and leaders of this year's theme camps. As listeners of this broadcast, I am asking you to help me with the daunting task of distributing this message. Thank you very much for your support.

Dear Camp Leader and Participant,
The goal of any well-managed camp is to reduce trash and determine ways to pack and/or dispose of it properly. As part of the responsibility of a leader, you are tasked with educating all of your members in how to do this for the comfort and enjoyment of all. There is one item of trash that continues to get through the cracks of our education however. This is trash that is often not considered trash, but erroneously thought of and treated as a type of toilet paper. I am of course referring to baby-wipes, wet-wipes, personal wipes, etc. This kind of trash never goes into to porta-potties, regardless of what the package states. The fabric is too sturdy for the cleaning process, and seizes up the cleaning equipment.

Every year, the porta potty vendor has to assign their employees to manually rake the mountains of baby-wipes out of the screens and pick the debris from the gearing with rakes and pliers. This is more than an icky inconvenience to the poor individuals tasked with this horrible job. Because the equipment must be stopped (and this is because it becomes seized up) and it can take hours to dislodge the offending material, the entire sewage treatment flow slows way down. If it becomes too slow, or halts altogether, the vendor faces disturbing consequences, even catastrophe.

The task I am asking you, as a leader in your group, is to educate your people on how to properly dispose of baby-wipes in a manner consistent with your own and BM principles. They can be kept in ziploc baggies for later burning or with the trash going home.

I realize this is a subject that is quite personal, and nobody is going to follow an individual into the privy to enforce this rule. But if the subject can be broached at your first camp meeting, when minds are fresh and focused, we should all see positive results. I ask you to use language that is clear enough for the entire camp to easily understand, and not make light of it. The gentlemen I've interviewed aren't amused and desperately want to see results this year. So please, put this item on your camp's agenda, and help all of us have a great burn this year.

Thank you for participating.

Warm regards,
RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator Special Projects, Porta-potties

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I wouldn't say that good trash habits are the goal of any theme camp, just one goal. Otherwise, well done!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

she said

Postby swampdog » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 pm

heh heh heh. She said "bm principles" while talking about toilet paper. Heh heh heh.

philosopher

Postby philosopher » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:33 am

I'm sure something in this thread will remind me to make a sign for the BRCPO:

You can't put baby wipes into a mailbox and you can't put them in the porta-potties either.

pinemom

Postby pinemom » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 am

Hey Robbidobbs...i cut and pasted your letter and hung it on the wall in the back room!

We can do our part again too this year and hang a no wipey poster in Bar.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:42 am

Thank you everyone.
There are a few revisions I'll make for later publication, like define who these "gentlemen" that I interview are, and use One task instead of The task. Also find another word for "task", I use it too many times. Job, assignment, goal...I'll work on it again.
Get loud and proud, folks, we need to see some improvement this year.

Now for the headline nooze...

I spoke to Mike this morning and he's giving me a reference!
YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

That 5 minute conversation eliminated a HUGE stressor in my head.

Friday is BEER DAY!
Whoopeee!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:36 am

Just watched "History of the World (part I) aagain..

OH piss boy..

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Yay Robbidobbs! Good luck with the job hunt!!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens. Come visit us at Florin and 3:15!

The Vortex of Destiny is back! This time with more daylight hours!

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Revision done for clarity:

Dear Camp Leader and Participant,
One goal of any well-managed camp is to reduce trash and determine ways to pack and/or dispose of it properly. Part of your responsibilities as a leader is to ensure that all of your members know how to do this for the comfort and enjoyment of all. There is, however, one item of trash that continues to get through the cracks of our education however. This is trash that is often not considered trash, but erroneously thought of and treated as a type of toilet paper. I am of course referring to baby-wipes, wet-wipes, personal wipes, etc. This kind of trash never goes into to porta-potties, regardless of what the package states. The fabric is too sturdy for the cleaning process, and seizes up the cleaning equipment.

Every year, the porta potty vendor has to assign their employees to manually rake the mountains of baby-wipes out of the screens and pick the debris from the gearing with rakes and pliers. This is more than an icky inconvenience to the poor individuals given this horrible job. Because the equipment must be stopped (and this is because it becomes seized up) and it can take hours to dislodge the offending material, the entire sewage treatment flow slows way down. If it becomes too slow, or halts altogether, the vendor faces disturbing consequences, even catastrophe.

As a leader in your group, I am asking you to educate your people on how to properly dispose of baby-wipes in a manner consistent with your own and BM principles. They can be kept in ziploc baggies for later burning or with the trash going home.

I realize this is a subject that is quite personal, and nobody is going to follow an individual into the privy to enforce this rule. But if the subject can be broached at your first camp meeting, when minds are fresh and focused, we should all see positive results. I ask you to use language that is clear enough for the entire camp to easily understand, and not make light of it. The porta-potty workers I've interviewed aren't amused and desperately want to see results this year. So please, put this item on your camp's agenda, and help all of us have a great burn this year.

Thank you for participating.

Warm regards,
RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator Special Projects, Porta-potties

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:03 pm

Greetings Campers,
I've been thinking again about how to get the important message into the minds of our fellow participants. And I came up with this idea: MORE SIGNS.

I have over 100 signs that are not used because there are too many words to fit in 36 point on a half sheet. Great shit from participants like yourself that have been submitted to me over the years. This is the famous poo-etry and hai-poos that were passed over a couple years ago, and I am bringing them back.

Now here's the gimmick: I'm going to be spending the next 6 months collecting "testimonials" from participants specifically about baby-wipes. Please post them here so I can collect them in time for publication.

What I'm asking for is for you to write a little something that's less than 25 words about this issue. It will be published and cited. The half-sheet signs will be posted on the interior of the doors at eye level if you're sitting on the potty. Yep, I'm usurping the pee-funnel space because I get there before she does.

Also, if you're on various burner message boards or in contact with your camp leadership, please send them a copy of my open letter.

Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement. I am so going to recruit your ass this year to get these signs up. I assure you I need help.

Stay regular,
RobbiDobbs

mars

Postby mars » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:48 am

Baby wipes will keep you clean,
But dropping them in the pot
Is just plain mean.

Remember the guys who clean our crap
And take your baby wipes home
To your lovely camp.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Yay Mars! That's terrific. Thank you.

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Job search update 2/23/08: Web Research
This morning I was practicing positive thinking. I was trying to determine what fabulous talents I have to offer a porta-john company like USS. I realized that I barely know anything really about the industry. So I said to myself, SELF, just go online and read EVERYTHING on it. Find out what THEY'RE interested in, what their issues are, their language, and what they want in an employee. So I just spent 3.5 hours researching, and holy hell there's a shit load of information online: trade magazines, company websites, product line information, quote charts, blogs, regulations, standards, job descriptions and salary estimates. It was fucking FASCINATING. I definitely feel I'm onto something. Yep, my butt is definitely asleep.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 am

I just want to go public and let everybody know that Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro will do our part! We are behind the Pottie Project 100%, after becoming enlightened just over the past few days. And damn it, if I catch any of you throwing your babywipes into the portapotties, I will personally kick your ass. Or kill you with kindness, depending how much I've had to drink.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:50 am

It's time to get pottie mouth about potties..

If you don't throw wipes in my pottie, I wont shit in the middle of your camp.. Deal?

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:53 am

I participate in the porta project at least 2 times a day at BM!

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I just want to go public and let everybody know that Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro will do our part! We are behind the Pottie Project 100%, after becoming enlightened just over the past few days. And damn it, if I catch any of you throwing your babywipes into the portapotties, I will personally kick your ass. Or kill you with kindness, depending how much I've had to drink.

This sure looks like a winning sign to me Doctor. Thank you.

RedheadBarbie

Postby RedheadBarbie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:31 am

I'm very particular about my pottie experiences so I will make some Poo Purses to gift. Over the shoulder bag made from scrap cloth which I have tons, with a ziplock to hold the used wipes, and of course directions to explain the purpose. I'm not one to carry my used wipes in a baggie in view.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:35 am

You might want to skip the instructions, if you can. Taking out the time to explain it will increase the interactivity and decrease MOOP.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:37 am

A similar idea, bags which can be slung around your neck in the potty but which contain feminine "needs" and trash bags, are called Moon Bags. I've made some before. We have a Husher who thoughtfully puts out OB tampons for the ladies, but even without applicator trash, they end up in the potties. A Moon Bag provides a way to cart away personal trash.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Yo, fuckos, do not make me drop a piano on your heads.

RedheadBarbie

Postby RedheadBarbie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Instructions, meaning brief verbal direction. I'm not that motivated to mass produce so many that I hit half the playa with them (but thanks for believing). I've never heard of moon bags but it's a great idea!

I've gone to faires across the US and have to say that Texas is the most disgusting place for potties, even the highway roadside ones are generally unusable here. It has made me a vigilent potty advocate.

ragabashpup

Postby ragabashpup » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 pm

I just want to share my BRC potty experience. I am not sure which night I experienced this but there was something deeply disturbing about every potty in the row. Too dirty was the typical problem, but there was also glowing potty, and singing potty. I opted to use the singing potty but was aggrivated by the fact that people were tossing their MOOP in the toilets.

plowman

Postby plowman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 pm

the Potties are here for relief
but baby whipes are just like a thief
they clump in a lump
and clog up the pump
and then we are all in for grief

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Outstanding, plowman. Thank you!

The Moon Bags are a great idea. It's always a good idea to have some kind of satchel to carry water, ziploc baggies, pee-funnel, schwag, moop, essential and personal whatevers. I always recommend that if a girl is "on her cycle" as it were, that a buttpack is your best friend. It's positively unthinkable to NOT have something to carry shit around with out there.

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Some random guy just asked me about providing single-use cardboard tubes to pee in.
Here's the straight poop on that idea.
Lessening the amount of liquid in the port-johns isn't a good goal, as it's too thick as it is. Pissing on the playa isn't my problem. His label clearly states: biodegradable. That guarantees that they'll be dropped into the blue schmoo. Pee-funnels are designed for multi-use. (I still have mine) Reminder: there's no vending. Bottom line: Don't make a problem for me and I won't get nasty.

This job hunting issue is really getting me down. The porta-potty companies are definitely being affected by the housing mess. "Don't count on it" is what my 8-ball is telling me. Plan B is to get something that I can live with and hope like HELL that I don't crash and burn before August.

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Utterly random potty-thought:

I USE A MEGAPHONE BECAUSE THIS TOWN IS HARD OF UNDERSTANDING.

Now get off me.

robbidobbs

RobbiDobbs Then and Now

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:25 pm

This was me in 2000, before the Pottie Project.
Just look at all that energy ready to get tapped in 2001.

On-shift:

Off-shift:

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Postby ibdave » Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 pm

Robb, You still hanging around??? 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Return to “Get Involved!”