Bike Stealing needs to Stop

A forum to describe your long lost playacycle.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:19 am

A cheap carabeany combo lock for potty times.. In the front sprocket ..

Steve, Those 10 mile 12v 5grand out put, fence chargers run for months on a car battery..

Where handcuffs can double as a slap and tickle aid..

Spoted cheap small taser for under the seat cover heheheheheh $17

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Are you talking about the Kryptonite or a knockoff?
Also, be aware that many companies make cheap knockoffs and their good line.
The good master hitch pin is stainless and more expensive than the chinese version at walmart.

I use a master python cable lock with key.
It is also good for locking coats and so on.
It comes with a six foot cable but you can get much longer.
They make a cheap hoop lock and a heavy hoop lock, but I find it overkill on the playa.
Mine has survived the dust.

Triple barb fish hooks are good for thieves.
Have them removed from your bike at the med tent or at the rangers.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Rippers

Post by Rippers » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:21 am

This year my friend had his bike stolen (or taken) from center camp after it was locked to itself! Strange things happen.

My mantra has always been, "Don't take anything to the Playa that you really want to see back home with you and dust free". That goes for your favorite bike, or in this case my friends bike was his only transportation, ouch!

This is the lesson. The bike thieves are just there to be our teachers. It may sound a bit raw to say this but, it really is about detachment from objects. Take this how you will.

I do sincerely hope that people get reunited with their items. But, if not then this was meant to be. Let it go.

--Rippers

[quote="Chai Guy"]I've never heard of a bike being stolen that had any kind of lock on it. Locking your bike is advocated by the community and that information appears in numerous places.

It would be great to live in a utopian community where locking your bike or other valuables was not needed, unfortunately this is not the case.

It's not the LLC's job to make sure everyone has a bike.

There are several bike repair camps, you might want to join one next year and offer a free bike service to those who have their bikes stolen. It sounds like a project that you would be passionate about.[/quote]

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:41 am

A bike I had loaned to a camp mate and brought to Burning Man for just that purpose was taken while locked to it's self in a disabling manner. It bothered me a little as it was obviously a malicious taking but I totally expected to loose one of the four bikes I brought as loaners.
In the end several bikes were mooped on to the area Stag Camp occupied and I took them home so that DPW would not have to deal with them. As I left on tuesday morning I saw hundreds of bikes that were abandoned. In future years if you want to help with the bike problem you could stay until tuesday and pick up obviously abandoned bikes untill you have no more room. I will be fixing up the bikes I have for the next burn for some of you who get your bikes taken.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Rippers

Post by Rippers » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 am

Hey Motskyroonmatick,

Great idea. Have you checked with Bicycle Recovery Camp and the Lost and Found before doing this? I ask because maybe some of those bikes belong to burners who searched but, did not find theirs prior to leaving the Playa.

Personally, I think that RFIDs could be used to ease the bike stealing problem out on the Playa. The costs are coming down enough to make this type of system feasible. Kiosks could be set up at Center Camp, 3:00 and 6:00 where burners could track the location of their bike(s) on or off the Playa. Confrontation could be handled by the BRC Rangers where necessary. My guess is that bikes are mostly taken for a "one ride" purpose and just left as Playa MOOP. When you consider how large BRC is and that you're probably on foot looking for it, the odds are low that you will recover you bike just by searching for it.

--Rippers

somekind

Post by somekind » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:25 am

I often wonder how many bikes are 'lost' in a bike pile that grows after the owner sets his bike down. That happened to me at the Opulent Temple one night, and I spent a half hour looking for my bike and finally found it. I was worried that it was stolen, but fortunately it was locked to itself.

Where did I leave that bike? And if someone finds it, will they even be able to return it to me? Is my name and address or playa location on the bike anywhere? I doubt it.

How many bike thefts are from people who are too absent minded to remember where their own bike is and just pick up the next best one?

How many bike theft victims go on to the next unlocked bike and just take it?

I like to lock my bike to my friend's bike if I can. That way he doesn't have to fool with the lock, too, and can't ditch me to go to a better party (hasn't happened yet, but I'm not sure what I'd do with the second bike if it happened). Pretty tough to steal two bikes locked together.

plunkatone
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Post by plunkatone » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:01 pm

Same topic, slightly different question...

Our rather small camp (10 people) lost four bikes this year. We're mostly experienced, just spoiled by previous theft-free years, and realize the bikes should have been locked.

But I was wondering, does the BM management collect information about thefts? Not to prosecute or recover bikes, of course, but just for data purposes -- how many bicycles were stolen this year, where, and when. I'd like to report our thefts if it could help them just keep tabs.

Rippers

Post by Rippers » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:34 pm

http://afterburn.burningman.com/06/community/bikes.html

[quote="plunkatone"]Same topic, slightly different question...

Our rather small camp (10 people) lost four bikes this year. We're mostly experienced, just spoiled by previous theft-free years, and realize the bikes should have been locked.

But I was wondering, does the BM management collect information about thefts? Not to prosecute or recover bikes, of course, but just for data purposes -- how many bicycles were stolen this year, where, and when. I'd like to report our thefts if it could help them just keep tabs.[/quote]

Kinky

Post by Kinky » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:38 pm

I don't see anywhere where to add your bike to list of stolen bikes on that link. My unfortunetly was stolen too. Could of sworn I locked it but unfortunetly that must not of been the case as it was taken Friday night at center camp. Spent most of Sunday looking for it but wasn't able to find it, which is a shame. I know it probably ended up as MOOP but I did my best to find it.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:13 pm

Rippers,
I really like the RFID concept. I am not computer savy but in the best circumstances with the right number of RFID reader stations and a wireless information network real time tracking would be possible. That would be so cool. I guess there could be an RFID art car that could cruise the city looking for "stolen" bikes. Interesting.

I was unaware of a bicycle recovery camp and did visit lost and found to try to recover my missing bike. I however did not check with them before removing the mooped bikes from the playa. I understand that they might be someones but I know also that abandoned bikes are such a huge problem that my recycling them for next burn is probably the lesser of two evils. These bikes are prety junky so I don't think they are someones pride and joy....but you knever know. Damn now I feel a little guilty.
It seems like timing is the issue. How can we deal with the bike moop before the DPW has to and not be taking somones stolen bike?

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:48 am

I was a little disgusted at the fact that so many "yellow bikes" were being covered in fur and painted. I saw 3 PRISTINE yellow bikes on the back of a trailer leaving BRC come Monday evening. I had to go out in the dust just to verify the California tag on the vehicle. I saw one person removing a basket from a yellow bike, after inquiring as to the reason for removal I was told "it makes the bike look faggy". I tried to educate the person that the basket was handy for ice and other items but they would not see the reasoning. I wonder how many of the 1200 are going to be available in 08. If I saw 3 in NEW and UNUSED condition I gotta wonder how many in total wound up in someones home. They'll let anyone into Burningman these days.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

retropsycho

re: picking up obviously abandoned bikes

Post by retropsycho » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:58 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:several bikes were mooped on to the area Stag Camp occupied and I took them home so that DPW would not have to deal with them . . . In future years if you want to help with the bike problem you could stay until tuesday and pick up obviously abandoned bikes untill you have no more room. I will be fixing up the bikes I have for the next burn for some of you who get your bikes taken.
Reno's Black Label Bike Club has taken on the task of dealing with the abandoned and recovered stolen bikes post-burn. They were handed-off the lost bike forms from Bicycle Recovery camp and Playa Info. They would prefer that only their crew pick up bikes post-burn. In fact you may be mistaken for someone stealing bikes if you collect them. Best to contact the BLBC and work with those guys. I'm sure they'd appreciate another set of hands:

http://blacklabelbikeclub.tribe.net/

They are also the crew that assembled the community bikes, BTW.
I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone . . . there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:06 pm

My bike was stolen Sunday night-the person who stole it left a yellow bike with a bent front tire...the bike was borrowed from a non-burner friend-and had my googles in the basket.... :cry:
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

motskyroonmatick

Best bike procedure

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:46 am

Retro-
Thanks!

Reama

May bad Juju rain upon bike thieves

Post by Reama » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:50 am

My bike was stolen from the city of SF and taken to the Playa.

Bike stealing DOES have to stop. My bike was not a playa bike, but it was left there, and IF I get it back, i suspect it will be seriously damaged. I ride my bike year round in lieu of driving a car. This is like someone stole my car... except I'd care less about a car. My bikes are like my friends.

GG

Bikes

Post by GG » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:18 pm

Ok .....I have a really funny ...trippy...bike stealing story that just happened last week.

But first I want to say hi to Barbie and I wish we could have met. I went to look for you with the Red headed Viking gal when that storm kicked up so we never made it. I'm sorry to hear that your bike was stolen last Sunday.

A few hours before the Temple burn I was getting myself packed up. I was camping with the awesome staggers at stag camp...and had a lost little stagerette hanging out with me. I had a real connection with this gypsy, so when she asked if she could borrow my "spare" bike to go to the porta potties I said yes. Keep in mind this stagerette blew her knee out dancing a few nights before and was injured. ( The spare was a loaner from a burner friend of mine who didn't make it this year). (Hi Bethany).

Several hours later and no bike and no stagerette. I ended up missing the Temple burn...helping another friend of mine. But afterwards I proceded to go out and play. I was gone for a few hours and decided to come back to camp and say goodbye and head to Reno where a room awaited me.

When I got back to camp there was my little stagerette friend, but without my friends bike. I asked her if she was ok and where was the bike?????
She said Oh the Barbie bike? ...well the chain popped off on the playa and these nice people gifted her a bike and a T-shirt, a pack of cigarrettes and a lighter. She said the bike was for me...to replace the other one. OK????? I picked up the bike and I must say it was a total upgrade! My friend is slightly disappointed because of emotional attachment to her burningman bike, but understands and is psyched on the upgrade because really...her Barbie bike was a total piece of shit.

I hope bike theft ends and everyone gets a bike back.

Return to “2007 Bikes”