free bikes for everyone!

A forum to describe your long lost playacycle.
no frets

free bikes for everyone!

Post by no frets » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:39 am

hey hey, fellow capitalist slaves! here's a serious idea brought to you by those heathen communists, burning in style. I noticed that there's a FUCKLOAD of bikes on the playa, as it's a great way to tour-de-burn, and there's also a lot of spontenaety going on, as well as a shitton of bikes lost in the drift, abandoned or other wise. what if instead of worrying about keeping track of "MINE bike" just ride a bike, walk when you want to, ride when you want to, ANY bike, ANY time. who gives a fuck if you can't keep tabs on your precious two-wheeler, which is going to have it's shit sandblasted by the end of the week anyways? just a thought. who knows?

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:30 am

I'd recommend tagging them with "Free Bike Exchange" or something. That way, people who brought their own bikes -- whether just expensive ones or ones they spent a lot of time decorating -- they could feel assured that some yahoo doesn't think it applies to all bikes.

But yeah ... I had talked about "bike decorating camp" a while back but couldn't figure out how to get past the moop factor. The thought crossed my mind to bring prefabricated pieces to attach to bike tubes and such.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:07 am

hey hey, fellow capitalist slaves! here's a serious idea brought to you by those heathen communists, burning in style. I noticed that there's a FUCKLOAD of bikes on the playa, as it's a great way to tour-de-burn, and there's also a lot of spontenaety going on, as well as a shitton of bikes lost in the drift, abandoned or other wise. what if instead of worrying about keeping track of "MINE bike" just ride a bike, walk when you want to, ride when you want to, ANY bike, ANY time. who gives a fuck if you can't keep tabs on your precious two-wheeler, which is going to have it's shit sandblasted by the end of the week anyways? just a thought. who knows?
I have a specialty four wheeled bike as I cannot ride a regular bike for reasons which are none of your business. Touch my ride and die hippie!

And hey, It has been to the playa five times and is doing just fine, fuck you very much.

Rippers

Re: free bikes for everyone!

Post by Rippers » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:28 am

I like the premise of your proposal. However, would you bring a bike out on the Playa and just leave it for someone else to deal with to get off of the Playa??

I concur with the reply to this post that encourages you to have a sticker made up to the effect of "Free Bike Exchange" and put them on your bike(s). Then you would still have to relocate "your" bike to responsibly remove from the Playa after the event. (See my earlier post regarding RFIDs for tracking purposes).

What you want to avoid is people bringing their old, funky bikes that serve a purpose for one week and then are left as junk out on the Playa for someone else to deal with. That said, if you get approval from BRC they could be picked up and donated post event to the towns of Gerlach, Empire and Nixon. But, I would check this out first.
--Rippers

[quote="no frets"]hey hey, fellow capitalist slaves! here's a serious idea brought to you by those heathen communists, burning in style. I noticed that there's a FUCKLOAD of bikes on the playa, as it's a great way to tour-de-burn, and there's also a lot of spontenaety going on, as well as a shitton of bikes lost in the drift, abandoned or other wise. what if instead of worrying about keeping track of "MINE bike" just ride a bike, walk when you want to, ride when you want to, ANY bike, ANY time. who gives a fuck if you can't keep tabs on your precious two-wheeler, which is going to have it's shit sandblasted by the end of the week anyways? just a thought. who knows?[/quote]

pitchblue

Re: free bikes for everyone!

Post by pitchblue » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:29 pm

[quote="no frets"]hey hey, fellow capitalist slaves! here's a serious idea brought to you by those heathen communists, burning in style. I noticed that there's a FUCKLOAD of bikes on the playa, as it's a great way to tour-de-burn, and there's also a lot of spontenaety going on, as well as a shitton of bikes lost in the drift, abandoned or other wise. what if instead of worrying about keeping track of "MINE bike" just ride a bike, walk when you want to, ride when you want to, ANY bike, ANY time. who gives a fuck if you can't keep tabs on your precious two-wheeler, which is going to have it's shit sandblasted by the end of the week anyways? just a thought. who knows?[/quote]

Actually, bikes coming off the playa aren't necessarily "sandblasted." The dust is so fine it doesn't blast anything. The bikes just need a thorough (ok, super-thorough) cleaning. Also, some burners bring their daily drivers to the playa. Losing one's primary means of transportation on the playa can be a serious setback after the burn is over.

travisbikes

Post by travisbikes » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:30 pm

You are promoting bike theft. That makes you a jack-ass. Yellow bikes are for communal riding, no others. To give people the idea that is alright to take things that don't belong to them is the worst kind f-up you can make. Do not take anything that isn't yours! People like you are the reason that hundreds of participants have their property stolen each year. Anyone caught by me, or my crew, taking things that are not theirs, will be punched in the dick!

Return to “2007 Bikes”