My bike was stolen from SF, taken to Playa!! :cry:

A forum to describe your long lost playacycle.
Reama

My bike was stolen from SF, taken to Playa!! :cry:

Post by Reama » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:45 am

I'm ultra bummed. My bike was taken from my mom's garage here in SF by her room mates, and then LEFT on the Playa. I've been crying daily ever since I learned it was gone.

This bike is a 2000 Specialized Hard Rock Sport, with front suspension, 24 speed grip shifters, a black & silver paint job, a greenpeace sticker, and rear rack with folding metal baskets.

I'm heartbroken that my bike was:
1) taken without permission
2) treated so carelessly and left on the Playa.
3) not returned to me.

My bike has a name, it's Louis. For those of you who only ride a bike at the Burn, I have to tell you how important our bikes are to us year round riders. I don't own a car, so Louis was my version of an SUV, the bike I took when I needed to go grocery shopping for my little family.

I also have fond memories of toting my little boy around in a trailer attached to Louis, of riding from town to town to commute before I moved to SF, and Louis was the bike that I first rode to get my urban riding skills down pat. He was also a birthday present from my husband for my 21st birthday. My husband saved for months and months to buy me that bike, because we were so darn poor at that time.

If you saw this bike (it was mainly used in the Dustfish camp), or took it home, please please please contact me. I have one last top secret detail I can share with you to prove it's mine... the sticker from the shop where I bought it years ago is still on the bike.

Please, please please let me know if you have this bike. :cry:

barnz

Post by barnz » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Reama - I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm sure Louis will always have a special place in your heart, but your Mother's Roommates who stole your bike must replace it. This is straightforward theft, and you could do a good thing by offering not to prosecute them if they replace your bike willingly and speedily.

Reama

Post by Reama » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Thanks, Barnz. Honestly, crazy as this might sound, any cash is simply blood money. I imagine, on the other hand, that it's probably not gonna be the same Louis after a week on the dusty Playa, if I'm lucky enough to be re-united.

They will pay me back (willingly or not) because I'm not one to be pushed around like this. In addition to being sad, I'm also livid.

I left them all a note, telling them what it was worth, and stating that I wanted my bike back, CLEAN, or money to buy a new bike.

Louis was a good bike. He'll always have a special place in my heart. :)

pitchblue

Post by pitchblue » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:20 pm

Reama, I know the feeling. Sucks! Wish I could help. Following your story keenly, hope you get Louis back.

Reama

Post by Reama » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks for your kind words as well, Pitchblue.

I learned I prolly shouldn't become so attached to things, and hopefully they learnt something I learned when I was 4: don't take people's stuff without asking. Louis is probably a loss, tho.

Return to “2007 Bikes”