Hunter S. Thompson. WHERE R U?

Trying to reconnect with someone you met once? Think of it as "Missed Connections" for Burners.
g love

Hunter S. Thompson. WHERE R U?

Post by g love » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:33 pm

R U alive?

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:18 am

He is alive and well and living in all of us. I just read his "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". I could not put it down. It caused me to miss some important assignments. What an amazing man. I wonder if he had ever been to Burning Man. He would've really dug it.

Yes Hunter, I do see the bats!!!
BOOBIES!!!

Ink_Burn

Post by Ink_Burn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:55 am

even the movie was good, i have the criterion edition... yes, i think i have seen him lurking around out there
Creativity begins with one, and ends in all....

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:25 am

Yeah, I got that for Christmas. Is it that 2 DVD set? Its got that great footage with HST and Steadman. To this date I am now on my 9th HST book. If you haven't read it yet, you must read "Songs of the Doomed", "Screwjack", and "Kingdom of Fear". "The Great Shark Hunt" was great too. I have learned more about politics from him than what I've learned in any classroom. I think my next book I'll read will be Rum Diary. His first novel. Have you read it?

Well, thanks for writing me. Glad you like Hunter.

Peace,
L'Orgasm
BOOBIES!!!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:02 am

When the going gets weird...

.... the weird start putting water bottles in the freezer. ;)

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

I DID AND I'M GONNA!!!
BOOBIES!!!

dirge

Conspiracy

Post by dirge » Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 pm

I don't believe that Hunter Thompson killed himself.
1. He thought people who killed themselves were cowards.
2. He didn't leave a note unless you count "Dear, Counselor."
3. He let himself be found by his wife and son.
4. Just before he died he wrote a book bashing Bush.
5. I just can't believe it.

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Tue May 22, 2007 7:48 pm

It's hard to find peace & insperation in Colorado! so when the book is done I'll be back.....right Gonzo?
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re: Conspiracy

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:14 pm

dirge wrote:I don't believe that Hunter Thompson killed himself.
1. He thought people who killed themselves were cowards.
2. He didn't leave a note unless you count "Dear, Counselor."
3. He let himself be found by his wife and son.
4. Just before he died he wrote a book bashing Bush.
5. I just can't believe it.
I can. Hunter had lived a life full of hard living with lots of chemical additives. He could have easily been entering the first stages of Alzheimer's or some other form of dementia that impaired him mentally.

To a man that lived based on his quickness of wit and clarity of mind, to realize your abilities were diminishing would be a sentence far worse than death.

So while healthy, Hunter may have believed suicide was a cowards way out but when confronted with the reality his brain may be turning to oatmeal, he may have viewed suicide in a totally new light.

Just something to ponder instead of fabricating conspiracy theories. If any president was going to have had Hunter whacked, it would have been Nixon.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 am

My girlfriend and I were on a bike ride in Virginia City, NV one day early last summer. Just outside VC there's this little house that publishes some tiny, nothing newspaper that I guess you can subscribe to if youhappen to know about it already. Anyway, there were these guys standing on the porch talking and I swear...I swear I saw Thompson on the porch in the whole get up. Khaki jacket, floppy hat, sunglasses...the works. I slowed down, but it was getting late and cold out, so we pressed on. Still...I hold out hope that maybe he's out there...
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:19 am

I saw Hunter walking in the back door of the Pitkin County Courthouse in Aspen in May 2001. I was shootin the breeze with a client when he walked by. He had the yellow tinted Ray Bans and was wearing a tight fitting Fire Department T-shirt. He looked to be in excellent health and in great shape. I always regret not being able to thank him for those articles I read as a 12 year old about teenage girls with nipples the size of erasers or his tales of four-wheel drifts off freeway exit ramps while posing as a Road and Track magazine test driver.

waltsnipe

the end

Post by waltsnipe » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:29 am

As for the question of whether Hunter really killed himself, check out Ralph Steadman's excellent book about his relationship with HST (written after Thompson died):

The Joke's Over: Bruised Memories: Gonzo, Hunter S. Thompson, and Me

After reading it, and other sources, it seems that Hunter had been suffering physically for several years from hip and other othropedic problems, and was in constant pain. This, coupled with the inevitable toll that his lifestyle had otherwise taken on him (not to mention his despair over a country that would elect the Shrub...twice) brought him to the decision, I believe, to end his own life. Yeah it sucks that he did it where his family could find him, but (and let's not whitewash the truth) Hunter was a pretty selfish bastard in many ways, so the fact that he blew his brains out in his own house is not entirely inconsistent. It's like so many great artists....be careful when you read about their personal lives, because you may not like what you read. Still, he was hugely influential in my formative years, and he's one of my absolute favorite writers. With him and Vonnegut gone, we are all greatly diminished. Thanks god for John Irving....

ROLLINGFIRE

BOUGHT THE TICKET, TOOK THE RIDE.

Post by ROLLINGFIRE » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:53 am

VALE HUNTER S T.

Paul Kemp

Post by Paul Kemp » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Huh... I had never thought of Irving as being in the class of Vonnegut and Thompson, but I can kinda see it when someone else suggests it...

Return to “2007 Humans”