Enthusiastic virgin from KC

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
RainbowOcarina
Burning Since: 2018

Enthusiastic virgin from KC

Postby RainbowOcarina » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:55 am

I've been researching Burning Man for a few months now and have decided that I'm going to save up to hopefully go in 2018. I've been looking up all of the tips and tricks as well as other people's experiences on the playa, but I know nothing can really prepare me for the event. Looking to see what others have to say and to get any more info I can. The biggest issue I've come across is how to get there with all of my stuff. I have a few friends who want to go with me, but they don't want to have to drive all the way from Kansas City to BRC. I don't see any other way to get all of our stuff there. Does anyone else have suggestions? I look forward to talking to other Burners and learning as much as I can about this amazing culture!
- Ricky

playavet since90
Burning Since: 1990

Re: Enthusiastic virgin from KC

Postby playavet since90 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey If you want to come from KC with pals you might try driving yourself and your friends flying in. Or you could buy an old cheap rv, trailer, etc. in Reno...lots of sales and give always on craigslist then try storing your burner stuff at a storage place. Or U bring your stuff get your rv, trailer, etc.....and they can fly in....the flight isn't that expensive on southwest airlines. Be careful that u drive under the speed limit...washoe county makes most of their funding on burning man speeding and reckless driving tickets. I got one for passing an rv once..800 bucks but that was in 00. So I'm sure its more now. Wadsworth on be careful with driving. One rule for us burners is to support the local area so it wont be bad to get stuff in Reno and store here. Plus a flight is faster and u can spend more time on the playa.... 8)

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm showing a 23 hour drive from KC to Reno. With 2 drivers, you could practically drive right through with a few gas and pee stops.
You could find a reliable van and a trailer and plan a cool road trip.
Also, you could fly in and find a place to ship your stuff. It all comes down to how YOU want to make this happen. Keep in mind, that there is every store along the way to purchase tents, shade, water and supplies depending how you want to work the trip.
I fly and rent a car. I ship a large box to a hotel and bring two 50 lb. suitcases.
It all comes down to what works for you.
Best of luck in your planning.

Sham....

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Dsm253
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dsm253 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

First timer going out this year from KC. Pretty much our only option is to drive, but I'm thinking it won't be too terrible. We can rotate drivers and stop for the night at any point if need be.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”