Set Alight

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Cracked Key
Burning Since: 2018

Set Alight

Post by Cracked Key » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello all. I'm a never-before-burner. Reading and watching videos of what Burn culture is really about has piqued my interest and completely re-shaped the way I think. That alone makes me want to attend and become part of the culture itself, give back in any way possible.

Currently, I'm in the Eastern US and have already begun planning and asking questions. What should my diet be like by the time I get there? What talents do I have that I can contribute? How will I change?

Already, I'm thinking of skills and talents I might be able to pick up between now and the event itself (and hopefully longer due to volunteering).

The core culture inspires me. I will join you all.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Set Alight

Post by Elderberry » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 am

Welcome Aboard!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Welcome, Cracked Key! :D
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Cracked Key

Post by Cracked Key » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Thank you all!
"Still I remind myself
how I define myself." from Deadman by Karnivool

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:44 am

Diet, like pretty much everything else, is all up to you and what you’re willing to do to provide for yourself.
For a lot of people part of the fun is living decadently in the middle of nowhere and eating great food.
Some folks get by on MREs and peanut butter.
I think you have a better time if you eat real food.
The best skills you can have are being self-sufficient and leaving no trace.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:23 am

Diet?

It’s not Some cross-fit extravaganza or some such.

It’s just a camping trip.

Eat what you like, bring a bunch with you, pack out the trash when you leave.

Welcome!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:54 pm

I bring a mix of stuff, some MRE's, some canned stuff, and some fresh stuff. When I get hungry, I just dig through my food bin or cooler for something that looks good at the time. I like to cook up fresh food on my camp stove but sometimes there isn't time for that. Sometimes you'll only have time to change into your night clothes and grab a quick bite and head back out to the fun. That's when a Mountain House, MRE, or just a quick ham and cheese sandwich is perfect. I usually try to cook a good hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, and potatoes every morning and then wing it for the rest of the day. Salty snacks are good as well like potato chips, nuts, pickles, stuff like that.

Your appetite will get all screwy anyway, you may end up ravenous all week or not hungry much at all. Meal plans go out the window, at least for me. You'll find food at other camps if you go exploring but you can't really count on it all the time.

The first year is a crapshoot, bring enough food to survive for a week and next year, you'll have a MUCH better idea what to bring.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Token

Post by Token » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am

TT120 wrote:
Your appetite will get all screwy anyway, you may end up ravenous all week or not hungry much at all. Meal plans go out the window, at least for me. You'll find food at other camps if you go exploring but you can't really count on it all the time.

The first year is a crapshoot, bring enough food to survive for a week and next year, you'll have a MUCH better idea what to bring.
^ This - spot on! Everyone reacts different wrt food on playa.

There are a few points that tend to hold true:

Bacon - it just tastes triple-orgazmic on playa. Don’t know why or how, but it does.

Pickles, olives - preferably fermented - electrolytes because that’s what plants crave.

Omega 3 fatty acids - however you can get them - they are key to cellular hydration - i.e. getting all that water you chug to actually get into you cells and organs. Canned fish, seeds etc.

And finally, if you haven’t pissed in 8 hours, get help. ;)

Cracked Key

Post by Cracked Key » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 am

This is all extremely helpful. BM's site says to bring a lot of the same stuff you all mentioned, especially pickles. I knew salty stuff was good for retaining water/electrolytes and I'm planning on bringing 2 (as opposed to the suggested 1.5) gallons of water for every day I'm there. Just need to find a way to transport everything I need/want to bring.

There is obviously so much to cover before I get even get close to the date, let alone Reno and beyond. I'm doing the research while also researching and studying in school so it'll take time, but I'll get there one way or another. I definitely want to volunteer during the event.

Thanks you all, again. I'll probably lurk more on the forums just reading suggestions for questions I might have myself or haven't thought of.
"Still I remind myself

Token

Post by Token » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Cracked Key wrote:
I definitely want to volunteer during the event.
Do everyone a favor and don’t. At least not until you know how your body and mind will react to the environment.

There will be plenty opportunities to volunteer on-the-spot after you get acclimated.

It’s 4000 feet elevation, high-desert, 3-7% humidity during the day, and sleep deprivation is the norm.

It will tax your system!

Just go, be self-reliant, have a good time. You can volunteer later.

Picking up moop, flashing a smile, throwing pants at a shirtcocker... all of that is volunteering. :)

Cracked Key

Post by Cracked Key » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Token wrote: Do everyone a favor and don’t. At least not until you know how your body and mind will react to the environment.
HA! I hadn't seen anyone say 'don't volunteer' as of yet. You've given me further insight though and you're most likely right. I'll just contribute what I can.
"Still I remind myself

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 pm

Of course we want you to volunteer but time flies out there. You spend 2 days wandering around. 2 days trying to buckle down and figure it out. One day stuck in camp just because. Then it's burn night and time to party and cry about having to wait a whole year for another event.

Go to the volunteer section on the BM site. Take a look at the different volunteer opportunities. Later this year sign up for a shift that requires no training on Tuesday or Wednesday. (That gives you a full day to find your way.) Don't miss your shift. If you like it you can do it again or switch to a different department. the 'V' Spot is the Volunteer Resource Team. They have several locations where you can see who needs volunteers and go.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 am

Using your first year to figure things out, helping when and where you can, is perfectly fine. A friend of mine did that, found her groovy place her second year, and volunteered enough so she has a ticket (and shower and commissary privileges) for her third year. This is not a sprint!

Cracked Key

Post by Cracked Key » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 pm

AntiM wrote:Using your first year to figure things out, helping when and where you can, is perfectly fine. A friend of mine did that, found her groovy place her second year, and volunteered enough so she has a ticket (and shower and commissary privileges) for her third year. This is not a sprint!
Ah, maybe it's just my personality then. I usually go full spring into everything before I hit a wall and am forced to figure it out. However, having to live in a harsh environment for a few days does make me think twice about it. Helping where possible is probably the best thing I can do. I know the night life and burn nights would be invigorating and humbling all at once when witnessed in person.
"Still I remind myself

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 am

Cracked Key wrote:... ... ... What talents do I have that I can contribute? ...
... ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public areas, please.

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

Return to “The Greeter's Station”