Looking forward to join any group of people on the way to 2018's event

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
denismakogon
Burning Since: 2021

Looking forward to join any group of people on the way to 2018's event

Post by denismakogon » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello to All!

My name is Denis, I live in Ukraine, which is kinda a bit far away from the US, but it's not a problem! Been considering to go to Burning Man this year, basically, one of my #2018goals, hehe. I've watched almost all videos on the YouTube from last year event. I felt like I'm missing the whole life, so I decided no matter it takes to go to the Burning Man 2018 event.

But here's the thing, I'll be travelling alone (at least this is what I have right now), so would like to know if that is possible to join someone or the group of people on the way to the Burning Man as well as would love to join any camp (still trying to figure out where I can fit at its best). Of course, I do agree to share any expenses (gas, RV fare, etc.). As the gratitude I would take pictures of you, folks, to share the moment of the unity (i'm a semi-pro photographer, https://500px.com/denism).

Hope to join the community this year! Kind regards!

Moderator note: Moved this post over to introductions.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Looking forward to join any group of people on the way to 2018's event

Post by Ratty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Welcome to ePlaya Dennis. Your best bet is to search out Russian travelers/burners to hook up with. There are plenty. When the board here gets more active in the spring you'll find camps to join. You should do some research and contact them. Don't expect individuals or camps to read this and contact you. Eplaya is a great source of information. Tap it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

denismakogon

Post by denismakogon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 am

Ratty wrote:Welcome to ePlaya Dennis. Your best bet is to search out Russian travelers/burners to hook up with. There are plenty. When the board here gets more active in the spring you'll find camps to join. You should do some research and contact them. Don't expect individuals or camps to read this and contact you. Eplaya is a great source of information. Tap it.
It just doesn't matter would group of people whom I'd join be russians, it just doesn't matter. Okay, i get that, spring is the right time to refresh this post more often =)
Regarding camps, that's what I'm kinda doing at this moment, so hopefully, i enough have time to do so.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:11 am

Welcome Aboard.

Other than photography, what else drives you and makes you yourself? Passions and interests? Are you handy? Do you love food? Art? There are many people looking for camps, etc., but there's only one you!

Also, youtube videos tend to show the best things and the prettiest people. Burning Man is so much more ... people primarily, which is why we are so curious about each other.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am

Hi Dennis and welcome.
I suggest that you decide what you want to do at BM and what type of camp would share your interests. Camps at Burning Man do things, they are not just a place to eat and sleep although that is what a lot of newcomers seem to think. Once you discover a group of likeminded folks it will be a lot easier to get tickets and find transportation.
Coming from the Ukraine I'm guessing that you will land in San Francisco. There is a huge Burner population there, you might find a ride with one of them. Anothere option is to take the Burner Bus but I think I remember that there is not room for a lot of luggage from SF. Google Burner Express. You could rent a truck or van and give a ride to someone else too.
It's early yet, get on facebook and read eplaya. Make friends and you will find something that fits.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

denismakogon

Post by denismakogon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:57 am

AntiM wrote:Welcome Aboard.

Other than photography, what else drives you and makes you yourself? Passions and interests? Are you handy? Do you love food? Art? There are many people looking for camps, etc., but there's only one you!

Also, youtube videos tend to show the best things and the prettiest people. Burning Man is so much more ... people primarily, which is why we are so curious about each other.
Okay, what me myself? This is a quite broad question, but I'll try to answer. So, the photography, Latin dance, street food (from every place around the globe I've been so far I tried to learn culture (after being many times in Asia i decided to follow Buddhism as the only kind of philosophy that really makes sense in our life). I enjoy cooking mostly Asian dishes (Thai, Cambodian, Chinese), Italian street and restaurant food (took numerous "al cousine" courses). But i can't say that i'm in love with food, i do enjoy cooking for people, this is what really makes me happy as well as the well-packed kitchen (sharp knifes is the most attractive thing).

Am i handy? Well, generally, yes indeed. But i can't force myself to do things i don't like or dangerous. People often say that i'm helpful during camping (establishing tents, campfire, food), so they might know better and can speak more about me.

ART! Hell yes, i do enjoy art in photography, paintings, architecture. I often spend most of my time at places where i can enjoy the art of visual: temples high in the mountains, street arts somewhere in poor districts, huge number of paintings in the galleries in Paris and NYC (i've spent 2 weeks just walking through Louvre and 10 days for Metropolitan Museum), but the only art i can create by myself is the photography. Anyways, i do want to take part in creating a masterpiece, especially at the BM.

I do hope i answered your questions, i hope people who would read this reply will consider me more than just someone looking for a ride.

denismakogon

Post by denismakogon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 am

Elderberry wrote:Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
Thanks! Looking forward to getting to the real Playa!

denismakogon

Post by denismakogon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

Popeye wrote:Hi Dennis and welcome.
I suggest that you decide what you want to do at BM and what type of camp would share your interests. Camps at Burning Man do things, they are not just a place to eat and sleep although that is what a lot of newcomers seem to think. Once you discover a group of like-minded folks it will be a lot easier to get tickets and find transportation.
This is what I'm doing at this moment. I've found the list of camps from the 2017th event and going through the projects they've been developing. So, I do want to find the camp where I can contribute and people I would love to get familiar with.

That is my goal for next few weeks.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Ratty wrote:Your best bet is to search out Russian travelers/burners to hook up with.
Russia and Ukraine are distinct and separate countries. At this moment, there is quite a bit of tension and some might say hostility between the two nations.

But it’s OK, we are ‘Merucans so this is expected :P

Awkward ;)

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 am

Token wrote:
Ratty wrote:Your best bet is to search out Russian travelers/burners to hook up with.
Russia and Ukraine are distinct and separate countries. At this moment, there is quite a bit of tension and some might say hostility between the two nations.

But it’s OK, we are ‘Merucans so this is expected :P

Awkward ;)
I thought so, didn’t feel like actually looking it up but yeah it’s pretty current that these 2 countries aren’t mano y mano.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:46 am

Oops, Sorry. I just looked it up to try and keep up. (2014 till now) .

I can understand making the trip to go to the burn. I just can't fathom the logistics. Dennis, I bow to you.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

singh3m
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: desi

Post by singh3m » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:22 am

Hello Denis,

My name is Sing, It's going to be my first burn as well. I am based in Abu Dhabi, which is equally far from US. I make travel video and share my stories on Instagram.
Like you even I am attending burning man alone.
I have joined CAMP FUEGO https://www.facebook.com/campfuegoburningman/?ref=br_rs as I could very much relate and feel comfortable being part of this smaller camp .
We can meet up in playa and go for photoshoot someday.
We can also share and talk about our burn preparation to help each other.

Regards
Sing
One person’s #LOL is another’s #WTF.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”