First Time Burner From Colorado 2018!!!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Burning Since: 2018

First Time Burner From Colorado 2018!!!

Postby juli0617 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am

Hi Everyone!

First time burners! My boyfriend and I finally we decided to make it out to the playa in 2018 and are kind of overwhelmed with excitement and questions on how to really do this the best way for us.

Unfortunately my first day of classes are the day burning man begins so I am planning to make it to the playa the LAST four/five days of the festival. Would I be advised to not do this? Do theme camps allow for you to come in that late?
And first of all how does one even find theme camps for 2018?

Sorry for all the questions we are clearly virgins of burning man :roll:
so any tips or answers are super appreciated!

Much Love!<3

Re: First Time Burner From Colorado 2018!!!

Postby Sham » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am

Welcome to eplaya.
There are several theme camps who are open for new members. It will take some poking around, but you can find the perfect one for you.
Coming in half way through the week is fine. Many people come mid week and stay until the end.
Read up in the links below in my signature. Lots of great information.
See you in the dust in just 5 short months.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Welcome to eplaya (from another Colorado participant).

First things first: please be aware that you don't need to be part of a theme camp. The notion that you do has become an extremely common misconception among virgin burners, but you can also just show up with the gear you need to survive and take any free spot in the unreserved camping area (there's plenty of room).

Many people advise you do just that. Theme camps can be awesome (I camp with one myself), but they can also be a lot of work and a lot of drama. They're usually groups of people who know each other well and have decided on a specific gift they want to give. If that group feels right and that gift is the sort of thing that you'd find to be a labor of love, then by all means go for it - but don't do it for any other reason.

If you haven't already, you should go read the survival guide and first timer's guide on the Burning Man website. Seriously, it's important, and worth re-reading a few times. If you're still interested in a theme camp, there is a list there of all the ones from last year - if you find one that feels right, just reach out and contact them using the info you find there.

I'd also recommend seeking out the local Colorado Burning Man community. It's good to get to know people who have already been and can help steer you in the right direction, and since there are a number of Colorado-based theme camps, you might find one of them to your liking. You can find information about the official regional contacts on the Burning Man site, and there are also a number of Facebook groups, etcetera - including groups for different parts of the state.

There are two regional events coming up in the next few months - Colorado Burnal Equinox up near Bailey in March, and Apogaea down near Valdez in June. I'm personally not someone who would want to camp on that particular property in March, but your mileage may vary. Both are always in need of volunteers, and volunteering is one of the best ways to get to know the community and the ethos, as well as show that you are interested in being participants and not just spectators.

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 am

Welcome Aboard!

Our Utah regional burn, Element 11, draws burners from Colorado. Held in July, it is a good practice run up to the Big Burn, as we have desertish conditions and a good chance of high winds. It is a nice little burn, only four days. If you can take the time for it, and can afford two burns, I recommend it.

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby AfricanFire » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am

Colorado has a huge contingent that makes the trek out west every year, and a thriving burner community. I'd second everything Papa Bear said above. You definitely don't NEED to camp with a group. In fact adding a camp on top of the experience with the associated fees, required work shifts etc can be a lot for a first timer to deal with. Also take a look at a village. Depending on the village you may have a built-in community on a more informal and unstructured basis.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”