Admitted noob....2018

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
CRZ8888
Burning Since: 2018

Admitted noob....2018

Post by CRZ8888 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 pm

Admitted Noob, might be doing it wrong

Mid march: flight for big burn. Purchased Volunteer ticket for Regional burn.
Late March: Outbound hotel room. Picked up year old Siesta tent, sold old mesh domeTent
First week: of April inbound hotel. Scheduled build days for regional.
This week: Set aside camp dues. Filled forms regional for Theme Camp/placement, Sound permits, FAST, Art installation.

Sham

Re: Admitted noob....2018

Post by Sham » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:05 am

CRZ8888 wrote:Admitted Noob, might be doing it wrong

Mid march: flight for big burn. Purchased Volunteer ticket for Regional burn.
Late March: Outbound hotel room. Picked up year old Siesta tent, sold old mesh domeTent
First week: of April inbound hotel. Scheduled build days for regional.
This week: Set aside camp dues. Filled forms regional for Theme Camp/placement, Sound permits, FAST, Art installation.
Welcome CRZ. No, you are NOT doing it wrong. This is Burning Man, there is no wrong.
I bumped your post over to the Greeter's Station so you can hopefully tell us a bit about yourself.
Where are you from, what makes you tick, what are some noteworthy things about yourself?
I hope you take some time to read the First Timers Guide and the Survival Guide that are in my signature below.
See you in the dust in 4 short months.
Sham....

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:32 am

Welcome Aboard!

CRZ8888

Post by CRZ8888 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the warm reception.
I'm new to eplaya and playa proper, but have been doing regionals since 2014.
I've had the Big Burn on my to do list since 2000ish. But square life (house/marriage right out of college) kept me from it. I had written off adventure and extreme camping since my partner was not really the outdoorsy type.
Things fell apart and they left to explore the wilds of Netflix while I decided to reconnect myself with the outdoors and my dreams of the desert. I've returned to backpacking, bike touring and mountain biking after injuring myself playing roller derby I was hoping to play with BRCRD but didn't get a ticket last year. I've spent the last three years talking to the experienced burners, gathering tips/ info/ lore, down loading survival guides, WWW's, and Podcasts.

My first burn was a bit of a debacle so from 2015 to present I've been running a theme camp. We are based out Detroit with 20-30 people for Lakes of Fire. We provide on site bike repair and a fleet of yellow bikes and racks for the event. I've also fabricated a Keg carrying trike that we serve off of at the event. The camp runs 100% Solar for lighting and sound. Last year we were given a grant to build a bike powered fire tornado.

As mentioned in my first post, I'm doing a lot of the prep a little while prepping for my regional in June. The bulk of the expenses have been taken care of. I'm flying in and taking BE to the playa. One of my campers hooked me up with her camp and a ticket already(she's buying a house and can't come).
I specifically chose a camp where I know nobody, I am not in charge and I can have a freeform burn. I come to the dust with no expectations.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 pm

welcome , dont forget your protective gear :)

Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Elliot. :lol:

Welcome, CRZ8888! :D

You sound like you're doing it right, whatever that is. Here are 5 random tips:

* Bring a backpack or messenger bag and pre-pack it before you hit the playa, and restock every morning.
* You'll need at least 2, even 3 pairs of well-broken in shoes.
* Expect temperatures anywhere from Mid-30's - 120F (although the weather report can help a little when viewed in advance, and both extremes do not usually happen in the same week, but can).
* Gifts need not be something that can be held in your hand. Assistance is often the best present.
* Have food, drinks, sunscreen and a pee bottle near you on your way in and out.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”