Hello! Newbie looking for like minded peeps! :) :)

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
SugarK
Burning Since: 2019

Hello! Newbie looking for like minded peeps! :) :)

Post by SugarK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi I'm Kate, and I need some "real" friends ;)

BM has been a bit of an irresistible "TUG" on my heart for a little over a year now, put simply - I feel a strong calling to go. I've known about BM for years, but if you'd asked me 10-15 years ago, even 5 years ago I wouldv'e NEVER thought of going!, my eyes, heart and mind were simply pretty damn shut tight during the bulk of my life, and I wouldv'e rolled my eyes along with my fellow white, suburban, starbuck's and red wine drinking Girl Scout moms and laughed at "that weird thing with the naked people in the desert" ....

Things are different now, and I am too - isn't life weird and amazing?? Very excited to hopefully attend 2019. I am a complete newbie and honestly feel more than a bit "MOOP-y" ie...out of place haha. If you knew me you would know I do NOT fit maybe the "typical" Burner stereotype...but of course, that is one thing that appeals so much to me about BM in general - there doesn't seem to be a "typical" Burner ;). But - here I am, a pretty standard suburban mom with a teenager, post - divorce and the last few years have been absolute tremendous amazing growth and change for me. I feel like BM is not just a "fun thing to do" for me, personally, it's a real calling and a necessary part of my own evolution at this stage of my life.

SO exciting, and kind of scary too - as it's as far out of my previous comfort zone as you can probably get ;). I've spent my life rather subconsciously setting my life up(as many women do I think) in such a way as to simply "do what everybody else does" -ie...find a man, get married, buy a house, raise some kids...it's only now occurring to me that I never lived or acted from a strong place within myself to direct my own life, make my own choices, as to what I actually WANTed!! :)...maybe cliche, but it's 100% true. I've had a great life thus far, don't get me wrong, and I have zero regrets. But I'm trying to live my life more authentically ME now, and embracing that paradigm and also learning to treasure the few people in my life who do "get" me, and love me for me. But the reality is - there are sadly, far too few of those people, surrounding me. CHANGING that!! :) :)

Sooo...the gist of it is this - I'm going this Burning Man adventure alone at this point, but I'm so OPEN and eager to embrace it FULLY and find FRIENDS!! A real family ;), local and otherwise, to connect with. I literally have not a SINGLE friend or person from my current/former life who would "get" BM or even want to go...crazy, but true. This is a true authentic calling for me and has ZERO connection to the life I've previously set up for myself, and so OF COURSE everyone I know now anywya, just can't relate. I'm literally starting from scratch here! Family/friends all think I'm a little (or a lot) nutty for wanting to do this (or they think it's just a stupid midlife crisis thing which is just as lame haha :) . As a good and real friend recently observed - I'm going through a midlife REVELATION, not a crisis ;).

So - I'm looking for a camp to join, ways to volunteer and participate, and most of all, connections with awesome people..!!

Aaaanyway, HI!! haha and if any of the above resonates in ANY way with you or makes you laugh or whatever - please say Hi and let's chat. meet for a coffee or drink if you're local to Los Angeles, etc. Diving ALL IN here. ;)

Much love and here's to new friendships and new experiences!

K

Sham

Re: Hello! Newbie looking for like minded peeps! :) :)

Post by Sham » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Welcome to eplaya SugarK. You've come to the right place. So many people that come to Burning Man are not your "typical burner". Everything about Burning Man and nothing what you expect they really are. It's a regular working city where you dress like yourself--not like everyone else. Come with an open mind and you can find what you're looking for. I have made true, lifelong friends on the playa. You don't need to know a single person when you head to BRC, and will start meeting people while shopping for supplies. You will continue making friends in the entrance line. The longer the wait, the more people you'll meet.
Read up as much as you can, and make yourself at home here on eplaya to get yourself jump started.
See you in 2019!!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Welcome Aboard.

Typical burner? I guess there may be one around here somewhere if we search long enough.

Sham is right, burners can become family. I don't know what I'd do without my eplayans.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:16 pm

There’s no typical burner.
I live in a suburban neighborhood full of Starbucks and red wine drinkers. I even drink Starbucks and red wine sometimes. I’m certainly not a hippy. I don’t even like hippies.
Burning Man is absolutely not what the general public thinks it is.
It’s way more high tech, it’s way more expensive, and way more regulated.
You’ll make some great friends along the way. The only thing that sucks is a lot of them will live hundreds or thousands of miles away! Then you’re stuck going to that dirty dusty desert just to see them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

SugarK

Post by SugarK » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Thank you so much for the welcome Sham, Anti and Captain!

Feeling the warm vibes already!!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:22 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

SugarK

Post by SugarK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 pm

thank you Elderberry!! starting to feel soo giddy and excited - just browsing your camp pics and webpages etc. Like a kid at Christmas!! wheee....!! lol

K

Garyoler
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: N/A

Post by Garyoler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:27 pm

Hello, Kate! Welcome aboard! :mrgreen:

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Welcome, SugarK(ate)! :D

I'm not a typical Burner either. Doesn't matter!

"Mid-life REVELATION" . . . I like that. Not enough people say anything close to that.

Perhaps go to this!
http://www.ladecom.com/

And maybe join these!
https://regionals.burningman.org/region ... s-angeles/
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

SugarK

Post by SugarK » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:55 am

thank you Savannah!! yes I was thinking Id try to make the LA Decom...would it be weird for a Virgin burner to go??I mean, what am I decompressing from lol...😉

superpickle

Post by superpickle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:50 pm

LOL im a recovering Californian . San Diego born lived there 50 yrs.. escaped in 99 EVERYBODY in LA needs Decompression and De programming as well.. a task that takes YEARS as it is still ongoing for me ;-)

SugarK

Post by SugarK » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 pm

ok I just had to post as they announced 2019's theme..."METAMORPHOSES".

Can this be real? It's like they are speaking directly to ME, and demanding (not asking) that I BE THERE, THIS YEAR (see my post above).

I hear you Universe!! :) :) I am being summoned...see you all in the dust in 2019!

K

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:14 pm

SugarK wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:55 am
thank you Savannah!! yes I was thinking Id try to make the LA Decom...would it be weird for a Virgin burner to go??I mean, what am I decompressing from lol...😉
Not weird at all for you to go! :)

I think you should strongly consider it. Meeting other Burners is key. You might meet future campmates, rideshares, art collaborators . . .
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”