Come Say Hi To This New (Virgin) Burner

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
pavan
Burning Since: 2019

Come Say Hi To This New (Virgin) Burner

Post by pavan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello to my fellow burners!!

My name is Pavan and I have been trying to go to Burning Man since I was a teenager. Being an Indian female... that seemed almost impossible at a young age and with parents who forbid it :cry: . Once I turned 18 I planned to finally attend, but college kept getting in the way. Now I am 25 and I am freaking ready to finally go this year! :lol: I will be graduating with my master's this August and done with college forever (I hope). I have always wanted to attend Burning Man to feel like I belong to a community since it was tough for me to fit in growing up. I have always been considered the "odd" one with my interests/music taste/clothing/etc, but I mean what exactly is normal and what exactly is odd right? I feel as though this is the perfect time for me to finally express who I am without any judgments, make a ton of new friends that I would love to call my family, to come back a changed woman, and experience the burn once and for all.

If you all have an advice, tips on how to get passes since they sold out quick last year, campsite info, ANYTHING in general to help me or to simply say hello I would love that! HELLO :)

Can't wait to meet you all!!

Please stay connected <3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Come Say Hi To This New (Virgin) Burner

Post by lucky420 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:11 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Lina222

Post by Lina222 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi! Welcome! I am hoping to make it out to the Burn this year too. I hope to see you on the playa!

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 am

Hi! Nice to meet you (in that virtual sort of way)!

Enjoy the forums and get ready for the ride of your life. It is a hoot! Well,.....that is if you make it a "hoot",.....or take the time to enjoy the ride.

Well darn,...it is all about what you make it. Yeah, that is the ticket.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Doktor_Catu
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Opulent Chill

Post by Doktor_Catu » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 am

Hello Pavan!

May you be free from college soon!
I have always wanted to attend Burning Man to feel like I belong to a community since it was tough for me to fit in growing up. I have always been considered the "odd" one with my interests/music taste/clothing/etc, but I mean what exactly is normal and what exactly is odd right? I feel as though this is the perfect time for me to finally express who I am without any judgments, make a ton of new friends that I would love to call my family, to come back a changed woman, and experience the burn once and for all.
Yeah, about that, let me offer you my two cents.

Make no mistake: BM is one of the places in the earth that I felt more welcome. It is huge, and awesome, and changed me in fundamental ways, forever. Until BM I had believed that people like us where 1 in 1000. And we are. But in BM, the proportion is somehow inverted, and douches are a minority. But they are there. So do not expect that you will not find bad apples there, ok? BM is not a mythical land where everybody practices the 10 principles and are all enlightened and shit.

Once that have been said...
If you all have an advice, tips on how to get passes since they sold out quick last year, campsite info, ANYTHING in general to help me or to simply say hello I would love that! HELLO :)
You know what? Back in 2017, the main preparation I did was connecting with older burners on this forum and reading it all.

When I hit the dust, 10+ years burners looked at us and said "you sure this is your first time? you guys are prepared!!!!" Best praise I ever received ;)
so:

1. Plan. And remember no plan survives contact with the dust.
2. Make an equipment/food list. There are a lot of shared lists on google docs. Parse through and see what makes sense and whats not.
3.If you are traveling from India, you probably will have to procure equipment in the good old U.S. Get there a few days earlier if you can to be sure you will find everything.
4. DO NOT plan to board a plane on the day you leave.
5. If you never camped before, try to do it before BM. The experience will help you.
6. READ THE SURVIVAL GUIDE. Can't stress that enough. It is a desert. It may kill you if you are dumb.
7. Understand the culture. I see you probably are familiar with this, but the less you expect it to be a festival, more you will enjoy it
8. Find people to camp with in the first year. Camping solo on your virgin year may be challenging to some.

I am as good as you, only have attending BM one year. But if you need anything let me know ok?

May we see each other in the dust.
“Be authentic to your dreams. Be authentic to your own idea about yourself. Grind away at your own minds and bodies until you become your own invention. Be Mad Scientists.”
― Warren Ellis, Doktor Sleepless,
-findme at berzins*at*gmail------

pavan

Post by pavan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 pm

Gosh you all are so kind! I appreciate your warm welcomes and comments :) I will definitely be analyzing the crap out of the forums and more. Hopefully I will be able to get a ticket and join all of you and maybe even meet you !!! Thanks so much again :)

pavan

Post by pavan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:25 pm

Skuzzy61 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 am
Hi! Nice to meet you (in that virtual sort of way)!

Enjoy the forums and get ready for the ride of your life. It is a hoot! Well,.....that is if you make it a "hoot",.....or take the time to enjoy the ride.

Well darn,...it is all about what you make it. Yeah, that is the ticket.

Hi Skuzzy!! You and your camp are soooo welcoming and kind, thank you for replying to both of my forums and I hope to see you out there in the Barbie Death Camp! :)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:59 am

Welcome. If you truly want to count on a ticket, purchase one of the expensive presales. This way you don't have to take your chances with the Main Sale, or the scammy third party sales later.

Poke around eplaya, and maybe Reddit, see who you click with. Be wary of purchasing a spot in camps with high dues, they are on the radar. Do you camp? Have you camped?

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:53 am

Pavan, welcome home! And I can guarantee you'll meet Skuzzy at BDC&WB. The only downside is that you'll have to put up with me as well...

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:42 am

Hehe,....what he said!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

solidarytom

Post by solidarytom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Hi Pavan! Welcome :)
I´m a first time burner as well... from Argentina! I really dont have tips or suggestions, only hopes that we´ll both get the tickets to experience BM.
Would love to meet up in burning and hear more about your life story!
Cheers,
Tom

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Welcome, Pavan! :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”