Foresight is 2020

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Nymh
Burning Since: 2020

Foresight is 2020

Post by Nymh » Tue May 14, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello! My husband and I are looking forward to our first Burn in 2020. We are beginning prep now. I've been camping solo for years but there is so much more to Burning Man and we've never camped together. We are going to do our best to hit some regional burns between now and then to get started meeting people and experiencing camping as a team.

We are gamers in our 30s who run school board games clubs and gaming meetups in our spare time. We're of course really looking forward to everything! We will benefit a lot from the prep work that we will do over the next 14 months or so. It's already a positive addition to our lives. And now I'm off to read about camps :D

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Foresight is 2020

Post by Popeye » Tue May 14, 2019 4:02 pm

FWIW, the biggest difference I noticed between camping and camping at Burning Man is that there is absolutely nothing at BM except what you bring. Camping in the middle of nowhere and you forget your hammer then use a rock. Camping in the middle of nowhere and your tent pole breaks then use a willow. None of that at BM. However your neighbor probably has something you can use AND is willling to gift it. Of course you will bring some mightcoulds and are willing to gift them.

Oh, welcome!
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue May 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi Nymh, Welcome to ePlaya. You are so lucky that you have a good long time to prep. Most of us did it on the fly. (And we lived to burn another year.) Research and prep is so fun. Hang out here and read everything twice. Join in the conversations. Get to know us and we'll hug you in the dust. Welcome.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Tue May 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Nymh
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Nymh » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 am

Thank you all for the welcome! I am glad to be here!
Ratty wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:40 pm
Hi Nymh, Welcome to ePlaya. You are so lucky that you have a good long time to prep. Most of us did it on the fly. (And we lived to burn another year.) Research and prep is so fun. Hang out here and read everything twice. Join in the conversations. Get to know us and we'll hug you in the dust. Welcome.
I'm not saying I'd pass up an opportunity to go 2019 or anything! :lol: but I am glad we have time to work on this.

My husband and I actually met on a forum several years ago for a game we both played at the time. We were both really active on the forums until we moved in together :oops: That time in our lives is past now and that forum is dead, so it is kind of lovely and nostalgic to have a reason to be on forums again.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 pm

Welcome! Your regional plan is what we love to hear on here!

One of the things that has helped me is a packing list. I use a version for my local camping trips too. There are dozens on the interwebs to start with. Costumes - not everyone does it, but it's a creative outlet and a conversation starter, and it can take some time to gather them.

You never know what camps might be interested in some kind of game interaction with passers-by. And regionals are a great way to find camps.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “The Greeter's Station”