Greetings from Boston :)

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
scriptorpress
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: No Borders Free Bookstore

Greetings from Boston :)

Post by scriptorpress » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am

Hi everyone,

My life changed in 1999 when I first when to the Burning Man Arts Festival. Period. Coming to Black Rock City felt like coming home. I attended every year until 2009, with my lovely wife most of those later years. We had moved out to the West Coast, Seattle, Portland, in part to be nearer BRC.

In 2009, I was burnt out, but the desert and BRC has never ever left my heart. My Burning Man 2003 pendant, gift that year, has hung on my neck every day since.

I brought No Borders Free Bookstore to the playa, to Center Camp, every year. Gave out thousands of little chapbooks. Bet they're still in homes here and there :) Here is the link: No Borders Free Bookstore at Center Camp in Black Rock City!

I also run an online radio station: SpiritPlants Radio - take a listen sometime.

Right now, it is snowing here, and BRC and the desert seem far away, but I wanted to join in with all of you, to feel nearer to my distant (Western) home :)

Peace,
Raymond

Sham

Re: Greetings from Boston :)

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 pm

Welcome back Raymond. BRC has changed a bit over the years, but the overall feel is the same. I've been afraid to skip years for fear of losing momentum. 2020 was tough, but I don't feel I've missed anything since it didn't happen.
I guess you're planning on coming back in 2021? Indications are that (if it happens) it will be a smaller event taking place. It might be more like the old days.
In my signature below are some useful links for preparation. Where in Boston are you now?
Hopefully we'll be seeing you in BRC in just 6 short months.

scriptorpress

Post by scriptorpress » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:18 pm

Hey Sham :)

Thanks for the welcome. No to 2021. I don't feel like this is the year for my return. Hope, if it happens, it happens safely as possible for all Burners and the local towns-folks.

I'm curious: what things have I missed since 2009? I remember it just kept getting bigger and bigger, and there became more a sense of "famous" people coming, rather than all equal on the playa. I also get the sense that tickets became even harder to get than before.

I have kept reading the Jack Rabbit Speaks, and even in 2016 went to the New England BM event, Firefly. Was nice, in woods, but I could only conclude: for me, Burning Man is Black Rock City in the Black Rock Desert. The whole of that is what I wish to return to.

In 1999, I came from Boston, with a friend, driving cross-country in a station wagon. So much fun. Later years, my wife and I drove down from Seattle, then Portland.

Coming from the East is more problematic, but one year we took the Green Tortoise from Seattle (my wife's first year - to ease her in). May do that next year. Fly to the West Coast, Green Tortoise in.

We live in a suburb just north of Boston. Where are you?

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:33 pm

That cross country trip is a lot of fun. I did it with my artcar a few times. It's like a traveling carnival.
The area reserved for Burning Man is 7 square miles, so the open feel is still there. You can be out in the open playa and do a full 360 spin and not see another person.
I'm in the suburbs south of Boston.

scriptorpress

Post by scriptorpress » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Wow! You are in this area! :)

How many Burns have you been to?

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:45 pm

scriptorpress wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:35 pm
Wow! You are in this area! :)

How many Burns have you been to?
I had a full head of curly brown hair when I first came to Burning Man. Now I'm a burned out shell of the man I used to be. Do the math. Uggh! I'm near that 20 year mark.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”