Hey! I'm newbie!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
KayBur
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: no

Hey! I'm newbie!

Post by KayBur » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:38 am

Hey! My name is Kay and I'm new to your community. Last year I wanted to go to the festival, but it didn't work out because of COVID. I really hope to visit Burning Man in the future. In everyday life, I work as an engineer, interested in technology, films, and DIY. Not so long ago I got carried away with working with wood (and cutting patterns on wood, and creating furniture). Hope to be a part of your community.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Hey! I'm newbie!

Post by lucky420 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:06 am

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat May 01, 2021 8:24 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat May 01, 2021 2:46 pm

Welcome!

Burning Man is many things, including a community of engineers and makers like you.

Burning Man has "Burning Man Regionals," worldwide, with their own meetups, projects, and events you are welcome to join.

There is a large art, design, and engineering project at "Fly Ranch" with LAGI. "Burners Without Borders" needs makers. And through your regional, there are many art sculpture projects.

Many of the regionals are limiting in-person events. We have a zoom meetup here to replace our weekly happy hour, a costume exchange with masks and distancing this Sunday, and an unofficial Labor Day campout. Many regionals and ad-hoc events will resume in the Fall with "decompressions" and often NYE events.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm

Welcome, Kay!
I cannot possibly compete with the excellent reception Some Seeing Eye gave you.
But I will venture to add the following, based on a couple key words in your fine introduction:
KayBur wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:38 am
... ...hope to visit Burning Man...
...part of your community.
If I may paraphrase Yoda:
There is no visit (as in spectating).
There is only participating (in the community).

So, your desire to be part of the community is spot on. :D

KayBur
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: no

Post by KayBur » Fri May 07, 2021 4:43 am

Elliot wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm
Welcome, Kay!
I cannot possibly compete with the excellent reception Some Seeing Eye gave you.
But I will venture to add the following, based on a couple key words in your fine introduction:
KayBur wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:38 am
... ...hope to visit Burning Man...
...part of your community.
If I may paraphrase Yoda:
There is no visit (as in spectating).
There is only participating (in the community).

So, your desire to be part of the community is spot on. :D
Hey! Thanks for the friendly welcome. I did not know a lot of what is said on the forum. I’m a beginner, and I don’t know many aspects yet. For now, I want to get acquainted, ask my stupid questions, and then plan trips when the situation in the world stabilizes.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm

You are doing fine.
And there are no stupid questions -- only stupid mistakes we make because we failed to ask first.

That said... you can minimize the number of questions you ought ask... by reading old threads right here on ePlaya. Most of your BM-related questions have been answered before, numerous times.

You will have to wade thru a lot of snark and other nonsense, but you will also stumble on various topics you had not even thought of to ask about yet.

To search for topics of interest to you, try using a default world search engine with the key-words "ePlaya" and the words of your search. This tends to work better than ePlaya's internal search function.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”