Burning Flight

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
acbca1
Burning Since: 2022

Burning Flight

Post by acbca1 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:01 pm

Hello all, Artemus here. For many years I've wanted to fly my Skymaster into Black Rock, and every year either work, tickets, or Pandemics has prevented that life's mission. Well next year I don't give 2 damns what's happening in my life or around me. I will be flying ol'Betty to Black Rock doing loops, roles, and buzzing either camp grounds or a spot on the map where BM would've been held. Either way, I'M COMING!.

With that out of the way does anyone have experience flying there personal aircraft into the event?
Life is what you make, so make it good.

Sham

Re: Burning Flight

Post by Sham » Mon May 31, 2021 1:12 am

acbca1 wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:01 pm
Hello all, Artemus here. For many years I've wanted to fly my Skymaster into Black Rock, and every year either work, tickets, or Pandemics has prevented that life's mission. Well next year I don't give 2 damns what's happening in my life or around me. I will be flying ol'Betty to Black Rock doing loops, roles, and buzzing either camp grounds or a spot on the map where BM would've been held. Either way, I'M COMING!.

With that out of the way does anyone have experience flying there personal aircraft into the event?
Hello Artemus. Welcome to eplaya and the unique world of Burning Man. Don't put off your trip to Black Rock City when it returns in 2022. Many people find it life altering--most in a very good way. There is an airport set up at Burning Man and recognized by the FAA as NV88. I don't know much about it, but there are dozens of planes that fly into the event and parked for the week.
There is a lot to read up on in preparation for a week in the desert, and there are links in my signature below. Some may be from years past, but the info is still accurate.
Good luck with your planning and look forward to seeing you in Black Rock City in 2022.
Sham....

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon May 31, 2021 6:48 am

Hello and welcome to ePlaya and, in the future, Black Rock City!

Adding to Mr Sham's excellent introduction, you will find http://airport.burningman.org/, all its branches, and its email lists a critical read.

The Black Rock Desert Playa is about 3900' above sea level, so density altitude is important. On your way to and from, be very careful if you are flying up canyons at altitude.

The Black Rock airport and intergalactic space port is one of the gates to the city. We are a much more fun gate than Point 1 or the Main Gate!

If you search for past year's Burning Man Black Rock City satellite or aerial image photograph, you will see the airport and the airport village. If you do an image search for burning man airport (though a few images are falsely labeled) you can get a feel for our little corner of the world for a week. At least one of our pilots worked as a bush pilot in Botswana.

Between 100 and 200 private pilots fly in per year to camp. People have even brought small jets.

The playa is a primordial dry lake bed. The cars and trucks driving in and out crunch that dry mud up into a fine dust the consistency of baby powder which smells like ammonia and is alkaline in pH, corrosive in the presence of moisture. The community of pilots you can meet online in advance can tell you how to prepare your aircraft and your self for the dust and the winds.

Other pilots can also share their strategies for managing stores of fuel and drinking water supplies. There is a community around the Bay of burner pilots.

I'm not a pilot, just an airport volunteer. Look around/inquire on the link above for the social media where BRC pilots congregate.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:15 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:52 pm

I think it’s actually 4900 feet up.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “The Greeter's Station”