first time burner here

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
pyrexbabygirl
Burning Since: 2023

first time burner here

Post by pyrexbabygirl » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:02 pm

first time burner here!
my partner (22,m) and I (21,f) are going to be first time burners in 2023.
any first time advice would be really appreciated. we have a van that we've converted into a camper and are excited to make the cross country road trip from the southern us.
i think we will stick to camping on our own for '23 and will hopefully find a camp that suits us!

my biggest question is how soon should i prepare, how soon did you prepare? i'm a big prep person and hate going to any new experience unprepared....i'm hoping by 2023 covid will be over over and that will give us enough time to soak up all the info and advice we can get...

nice to meet y'all!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: first time burner here

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:25 pm

Hello, welcome to ePlaya!

It is not necessary to plan 23 months in advance, but there are a lot of fun things to do between now and then!

You might meet other burners by way of your Burning Man Regional https://regionals.burningman.org/region ... h-america/. They may be online or quiet with the Covid break, but they will come back with in person parties and campouts.

There is all kinds of information on preparation on burningman.org and their official YouTube.

I have found a packing list useful for the burn, and camping. There are starters all over the internet to use as a base.

If you enjoy outfits, that is fun to work on. If you just want to wear camping clothes that is fine.

If you have the flexibility to take longer on your 2023 road trip, there are all kinds of camping and sightseeing opportunities. You don't have to see them all, because you can come back!

The dust is the consistency of baby powder and smells like ammonia. So as it gets closer to the event, you might follow some of the suggestions on the ePlaya threads about dust proofing your vehicle, or at least making it more resistant to dust.

Being friends with your regional you can get a lot of advice, and it can help getting tickets if there is a shortage.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:01 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:56 am

pyrexbabygirl wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:02 pm
first time burner here!
my partner (22,m) and I (21,f) are going to be first time burners in 2023.
any first time advice would be really appreciated. we have a van that we've converted into a camper and are excited to make the cross country road trip from the southern us.
i think we will stick to camping on our own for '23 and will hopefully find a camp that suits us!

my biggest question is how soon should i prepare, how soon did you prepare? i'm a big prep person and hate going to any new experience unprepared....i'm hoping by 2023 covid will be over over and that will give us enough time to soak up all the info and advice we can get...

nice to meet y'all!
Welcome Pyrexbabygirl!

Two years is a ton of time to prepare. While some of us waited years for conditions to be right in our lives, I would be very hard-pressed to identify anyone among us who needed 2 years to truly prepare for the nuts & bolts of the Burn.

A year is more than adequate for the average newbie. I probably had 5 or 6 months the first time. Note: I had a ride lined up, and tickets weren't sold out, back then.

Habitual Burners can often get ready absurdly fast. I won't tell you how fast, because it's misleading if you haven't been before. :)

My recommendation would be:

* Make some friends and acquaintances in the city you suspect you might depart from, or a city with which you have a prior connection of some kind.

https://regionals.burningman.org/

* Read the most recent Survival Guide. Certain details change, like when you can enter the event, & where you can legally take your trash afterwards, etc, but the nature of the desert & what it takes to survive it: really do not.

https://survival.burningman.org/

* Save money. It's more expensive than it looks on the surface. You might find yourself with a surprise vehicle repair costing hundreds, a speeding ticket on Native American land, or an extra night on the road requiring an additional $100 for a hotel. But there are also smaller things like realizing: "Oh, I would really like a much better hand-picked First Aid kit, and geez, I need a carton of bungee cords, an extra coffee cup and some caribeeners, and dang, I want a fur hat that makes me look like a ferret."

* If you're proficient in Microsoft Office: Start making a packing list in Excel, or a Word table (Word is my favorite; I do 2 wide columns to the right, for Stuff, and 2 narrow columns to the left, for checkmarks). I put "To Do" and "To Buy" lists at the end. "To Do" should include the things you need to do before you roll out, like pre-paying bills, renewing prescriptions, watering plants, double-checking ticket info, etc. I like to Bold the things that are not done. Printing the list and taking it with you can help you shop for remaining items while on the road, and reassure you that yes, you really did pack the lip balms.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “The Greeter's Station”