Older Minimalist Vanlifer Burner Virgins

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
beheavilymeditated
Burning Since: 2019

Older Minimalist Vanlifer Burner Virgins

Post by beheavilymeditated » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:21 pm

Hello everyone! We are 48 & 53 and this is our first burn. We have been married 30 years, have been minimalists for about 5 years (we rarely make purchases, buy used and pre-owned wherever possible, and make our own things from recycled items, all our belongings fit into a van, etc.) and we were Vanlifers (living and traveling in a passenger van we camperized) for two years. We gave away all of our lifelong belongings to our adult kids and Goodwill, left six-figure incomes that made us feel empty, guilty, stressed out, and unfulfilled, and traveled around the US and Western Canada. I now design and create jewelry (bringing a bunch to gift to others!) and sell stock photography and video. I am also a writer/professional sharer, and digital strategist/web designer. My husband is a licensed journeyman plumber and gas fitter. Last year we had to return to house-living to help with our grandbaby, and I also had to return for a full hip replacement. During the past year back in our hometown my husband suffered two strokes. :cry: :cry: Lucky thing we were back home, and not in the middle of the Mojave! So it was a bit of a tough year and we decided it was time to stop putting off our bucket-list items. My husband saw a photo of the sign from last year's Burn "You could die tomorrow." and that was it; he was convinced we needed to attend BM this year. So here we are. :D

We are not in a camp, we will be free-camping (I think that's what it is called?) Being on the "outskirts" may be what suits us, as anti-consumerists and non-conformists. We will see. I am struggling a bit with outfit creating given our minimalistic lifestyle, but I am managing to create one or two outfits with items we either already have, or that I have acquired from friends and thrift stores. It's a lot of fun hunting and creating! But I hope I don't "burn out" before the Burn. heh heh.

Since we've lived in the desert for months at a time in a van with no running water and just solar power, we are pretty prepared, the only worry we have surrounds bringing the cannabis hubby needs medically to help with his stroke-related health issues. I've read enough surrounding that on here and on Reddit to be concerned and paranoid about bringing it with us onto federal BLM land, especially being non-US citizens who desire the ability to return to the US. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: So that's something we have to work through.

So greetings everyone! Now I'm off to read more about preparations, see you on the Playa!
We are dedicated minimalists and ethical consumers, living in a van.
We believe that kindness is the cure.
First Time Burner This Year!
BeHeavilyMeditated - Jewelry Artist

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Older Minimalist Vanlifer Burner Virgins

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:05 am

Welcome Aboard.

First, a mod note, eplaya doesn't allow drug related discussions for legal reasons, being the official board, we are constrained. Hopefully any advice will be in a PM, not posted.

You are so right about life taking unexpected turns. My husband of 31 years passed away last year, on 8/27, from lung cancer. Only ill for three weeks and gone. A non-smoker at that. My life is totally upsidedown. I am glad we did travel and grab life while we could. If I could drive, I'd look hard at being a vanlifer too.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:50 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:17 am

I sent you a pm.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

beheavilymeditated
Burning Since: 2019

Post by beheavilymeditated » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:08 am

AntiM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:05 am
Welcome Aboard.

First, a mod note, eplaya doesn't allow drug related discussions for legal reasons, being the official board, we are constrained. Hopefully any advice will be in a PM, not poasted.

You are so right about life taking unexpected turns. My husband of 31 years passed away last year, on 8/27, from lung cancer. Only ill for three weeks and gone. A non-smoker at that. My life is totally upsidedown. I am glad we did travel and grab life while we could. If I could drive, I'd look hard at being a vanlifer too.
Oh my gosh, I'm sorry about posting that now. Should I delete that from my post?

I'm so sorry for your loss. That must be so very hard for you. I just can't imagine. :cry:
We are dedicated minimalists and ethical consumers, living in a van.
We believe that kindness is the cure.
First Time Burner This Year!
BeHeavilyMeditated - Jewelry Artist

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:58 pm

Do not be sorry, it is very true, and I just happen to be a real example of it. I don't mind talking about MyLarry and the loss, I'm already sad, can't make me sader.

Here's a picture taken in 2017:
09-01-2017 Burning Man DSC00697.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”