Am I doing this right

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
melbjerregaard
Burning Since: 2020

Am I doing this right

Post by melbjerregaard » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:33 pm

Right, hello. I've been lurking, watching burning man unfold for years, trying to learn, generally quite terrified about the prospect and sheer monstrosity that is attending burning man from half way across the world. I wanted to wait until I properly understood what it means to burn, though that realisation has turned out to be bitter sweet - my biggest dream is to be a part of something bigger than myself, to see, through my own two hands, the creation of such a breathtaking concept.
But Ive come to the realisation that, that likely wont happen my first year. Ive been told that virgins should just go, and experience, and give back in whatever ways they can. I'll have to live with doing what I can, from where I am. And that's showing itself to be challenging, but Im optimistic.

Have I mentioned that I can ramble?

Im supposed to talk about myself. But what do I tell? Im a bit of an odd mash of everything. Im an immigrant in my own country, daughter of counter culture hippie musicians, growing up all over the world, though some of my fondest memories take place in deserts. That's also my best guess as to why the playa calls so strongly to me - Ive never been, but in a strange way, I feel I have. I may be wrong, but I feel the spirit and essence of burning man can wear many faces, and I have seen some of those faces.

This is just me, hoping that, despite all the monumental obstacles in my way, I will get my shot to give to the playa.
not my scrunchiesss aAnD i OoOoOp - Brandon Farris

Sham

Re: Am I doing this right

Post by Sham » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Welcome Mel, I love your intro. You'll fit in with this dusty bunch just fine.
The idea of first timers coming and enjoying the city without going really big on art is pretty simple. So many don't quite grasp the lay-of-the-land prior to their first visit. Many have spent the better part of the week trying to assemble something they've cut from cardboard boxes. Come and enjoy and lend a helping hand if needed.
I hope you got a chance to join your regional burner group. I'm not sure what country you're in, but most have groups.
Coming for the first time can appear to be terrifying, but it's really just a camping trip in a desert with a bunch of fun and like minded souls.
All in all, it appears that you are doing this right.
Hopefully we'll see you in the dust in 11 short months.

melbjerregaard
Burning Since: 2020

Post by melbjerregaard » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:42 pm

My wanting to be a part of more, has less to do with the art and more to do with just seeing the city rise from nothing.
But practically speaking, waps are given sparingly, and to people with special skill sets (I’ve been told) so.. that clashes with my ultimate wish to solo camp for my first burn.
Though as an international virgin (Denmark) its starting to look like the only way to not completely rough it is to join a local camp.
not my scrunchiesss aAnD i OoOoOp - Brandon Farris

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:28 am

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:41 am

melbjerregaard wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:42 pm
My wanting to be a part of more, has less to do with the art and more to do with just seeing the city rise from nothing.
But practically speaking, waps are given sparingly, and to people with special skill sets (I’ve been told) so.. that clashes with my ultimate wish to solo camp for my first burn.
Though as an international virgin (Denmark) its starting to look like the only way to not completely rough it is to join a local camp.
Definitely join the Denmark group. They will have infrastructure and logistics that you can benefit from. They may also be able to help you with tickets. Bring enthusiasm and charisma with you and good things will happen.
Also, watching Black Rock City rise from the dust is a lot less exciting than it sounds. Trucks full of dusty wood and supplies being unloaded and the occasional piece of heavy machinery driving past. Lots of tents and pipes laying on the ground--all waiting for people to help assemble. Should you get a WAP, you'll be working usually in the same area. It may be fun, but not very exciting.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Mr Sham has a good suggestion for every potential new burner planning for 2020 or beyond.

Find your "Burning Man Regional" and connect with them. If you start on burningman.org, you will find the regionals may have an email, a Faceb**k, list of bar or cafe meetups and they have official and unofficial events.

Burners like to have a "decompression" or other parties after the burn, around now. In our area we have a Halloween event, NYE events and camp benefit events plus house parties and potlucks - not officially "Burning Man" but mostly burners, builders, and yoga kids.

Sometimes they have Spring and Summer regional mini-burn campouts. And sometimes they have Summer "precompression" parties.

The sooner you meet them in person and make friends, the more opportunities to exchange knowledge, gear, event transportation and get secondary market tickets. You may even be asked to join a camp or work on an art project.

And welcome to ePlaya~
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “The Greeter's Station”