Aussie Burner Virgin

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
buckojr
Burning Since: 2021

Aussie Burner Virgin

Post by buckojr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Hey all,

I have been thinking about trying to make it in 2021 (I know I'm way early). But just trying to work out logistics.
The plan was to fly in to San Fran. Is there a way of travelling with a group?
I'm from Adelaide in Australia and my reps. seem to mostly be in other cities so not sure who to get in contact with.
I know one of the fundamentals is self reliance, but concerned as to how to hire(?) a tent given I'll be flying in all the way from Aus?

Sorry, still have to do alot of research.
Thanks,
Bucko

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Aussie Burner Virgin

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Welcome to ePlaya! Adelaide is on my list to visit.

A good tool is a "Burning Man packing list" - there are many on the interwebs you can customize. Then you can break down if an item is bring from home or purchase in the US, and where. Also include disposing of it if you are not taking it home.

In addition to the Regionals you found, there should be some OZ Faceboo groups, and tap friends, and friends of friends who have gone through your existing student, professional and social networks.

You might consider including it in your walkabout, there are spectacular National Parks - https://www.nps.gov/ suitable for as long a road camping trip as you like.

Leave plenty of time between flight arrival and the event. Especially leave several days after the event to air departure time. The outbound gates and roads have long delays and even closures.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:47 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:56 pm

You can take the bus- Burner Express from either San Francisco or Reno. The San Francisco bus has limited baggage, the Reno bus much more- you pay extra of course. Read through past years posts and you will learn much more. Come back here with questions.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Return to “The Greeter's Station”