Charmed to make your acquaintance ❤️

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Olivine phoenix
Burning Since: 2020

Charmed to make your acquaintance ❤️

Post by Olivine phoenix » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 am

Greetings to One and all-

I am 47 years old and I am an artist.

I have recently been through a year of surviving things that would take most people down.. including a brain surgery. I am starting a new chapter, and one in which I am completely free of all chains that have bound me before. I am a phoenix rising from the ashes once again, but this time my strength is unmeasurable.

To celebrate this.. I have decided to come to burning man which is some thing I wanted to do for a while, but had not had the true desire, opportunity and the time has never felt right. That all changed last year. And I luckily have a friend who lives in California and has a really killer motorhome to make it super simple. As well as he is just an amazing person ..and I can’t think of attending this with anyone else.

I know absolutely nothing about the camps and such. I have done some reading on gifting.. as that is a huge part of why I would like to come. I have many talents.. material and otherwise that I am eager to share with others to bring them happiness.

Being an artist my entire life I am also excited to finally be in one place with tons of people where I will not be judged. I look forward to being in an alternate universe.. if only for nine days.

Any help on understanding what the camps are about, how to pick one, can we pick one? Would love to talk online with some people ahead of time so there are people there I can meet. And any other suggestions are warmly welcomed ❤️❤️
“Sometimes on the verge of burning out...we rise instead”

-Olivine Phoenix- Phoenix Wave Designs

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music“

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Charmed to make your acquaintance ❤️

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally, people just came and camped. Friends would of course camp together.
Sometimes camps grew pretty large.
This eventually evolved into camps soliciting new members to help with whatever it is they did, or new burners soliciting camps to join, often because they think it helps develop a “sense of community”.
Joining some camp is entirely optional.
If you don’t, you don’t have to worry about that sense of community. Your neighbors will be awesome, you’ll find camps you enjoy hanging out with, you can volunteer for any number of things on-Playa.
I believe that’s really the best way to end up joining a camp, if that’s what you want to do.
Just go, and see where you wanna be, IF you wanna be in someone else’s camp.
It can be advantageous to be self sufficient and independent as well.
It’s Burning Man. It’s all up to you.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:52 pm

Hey there, welcome to ePlaya!

Be sure to stop by the ePlaya Meet-n-Greet on Wednesday at 6:00PM and meet all of the ePlayans you may have befriended here. Further details on this year's location will be posted as it gets closer to the burn.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:50 am

Welcome to ePlaya! Aside from joining a camp, or not, if you don't have any experience camping, I'd suggest a couple weekend practice camping trips before you head out to the Playa for a week. The Playa is pretty harsh and it helps to know how to make yourself comfortable in the outdoors. Learn how to manage a cooler and what foods you will need for the week. Of course, if you're planning on joining a Plug and Play camp that provides an RV and food and everything else for you then never mind.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:21 am

For me each year has been a psychic reset. There is an active DC "burning man regional" and maybe more regionals in your area to meet. If you like costumes they are welcome. If your friend has been before, they will have plenty of advice. If not they might engage their own regional. Burning Man art may not vibe with art school art, but its beauty is it is open source-social practice art, which is very current.

Also "burning man packing list"
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:06 pm

Welcome, Olivine phoenix! :D

Camps are optional, and you do not need one. (My first 4 Burns I traveled with anywhere from 1 or 2 friends to 20 acquaintances; this was camp enough.) The motorhome sounds like plenty of infrastructure, so it is completely up to you. I'd actually recommend you consider having complete freedom your first year. You'll automatically have neighbors to introduce yourself to (unless you make a great effort to be on the very outskirts of the city).
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”