Just wanted to say Hi

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Denise

Just wanted to say Hi

Post by Denise » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 am

Hi my name is Denise. I am a new to eplaya. I am looking forward to coming this year (2006). Was just looking to talk with someone to find out a little bit more what a first time needs to know. Cant wait to hear from yeah. [color=blue][/color] :D
Denise H

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:19 am

Hi Denise,

You are starting just in time! There is alot to soak up, so become familiar with the burningman website (you posted here, so you obviously are on your way). Explore and read as much as you can there. Pay particular attention the "the survival guide", be sure to read every article at least twice. Wander around through past Eplaya threads and read them also (pay no attention to the sometimes negative attitude on Eplaya, it is a costume of sorts).

Many give the advice to Virgins to not worry their first year about setting up a theme camp or bringing gifts or elaborate costumes. On the other hand if you want to get involved right away, you can join a regional group near you and help with their theme camp (or costumes, or mutant vehicle, or...)

Once you have absorbed as much as you can through reading, begin asking specific questions (although it is considered good form for you to do as much research on your own before asking for help - part of the whole "self-reliance" value that all Burners espouse. Also one of the reasons newbies say Eplaya can be rude). There is a search engine on the Eplaya, most topics have begin discussed ad-naseum before (a good way to bring up an old discussion is to find a link to it and then post a uestion regarding that discussion).

If you are not experienced in car camping, start doing so ASAP. Your shade structure is probably the most important thing to get right (it will be destroyed by the wind if you do not).

Regards, Jafe

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:09 am

Also give consideration to your means of transport to (and on) the playa....Coming from Pennsylvania by car's about the same as from Michigan, as I do, and there's discussion about that in here somewhere or just ask for details. Last year gas was a bigger expense than ALL MY OTHER EXPENSES COMBINED, INCLUDING TICKET. I drive a Honda Element, and loaded it heavily with dome parts and junk, and spent over five hundred bucks on go-juice. (It's 14 full tanks out and back for me.)
The advantage to driving is that there's interesting country to see, and a car's good shelter in a dust storm. You can also get your bike out there more easily, and you (if you ask me) NEED a bike. If it's your first year, you'll want one so you can see EVERYTHING. (Which you won't. It's impossible.)
Lots of folks have no option but to fly, which obviously takes less time...(I take two days to get out and three to get back.) But you can carry less, which might be more okay for a newbie...NEXT YEAR you can bring the three large domes, inflatable rhinocerous (to play with Jellyfish's) and wooden scale Mount Rushmore with the flaming BMorg heads. The majority of fliers go into Reno, and rent a car or catch a ride from there, so be warned that plans should be made well in advance unless you're terminally happy-go-lucky.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:23 am

Inflatable Rhinocerus! Where do I sign up? Can I put it on wheels and DMV it?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:49 am

I insist! Provided it's lit at night...Ooooh, a white rhino, like the beautiful white whale-car! Me likey!

If we can get a few of 'em made, we could play Racey Racey Rhinos!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:44 am

robotland wrote:Racey Racey Rhinos!
Only if they're in skimpy underwear.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
robotland wrote:Racey Racey Rhinos!
Only if they're in skimpy underwear.
with giant oven mits of course...

Return to “The Greeter's Station”