Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:17 pm

Welcome to eplaya Dawn. It is a wonderful thing and I hope you get to attend.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

zombiepetter
Burning Since: 2015

Post by zombiepetter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi, I'm the outsider looking in. I am from a chemical chain reaction that occurred and spontaneously produced life. I have been told I have a home but I am still looking in from a distance. This home does not look like I belong. I have been told I have a place but I may not enter. I have been told I can use my voice but it has been censored. I am until I am not that is me.
So expected this to be deleted. Guess I painted in the lines this time ;)

charlsieball
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: School of Safe Sex

Post by charlsieball » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 am

Hi all! My name is Charlsie. I actually joined up in 2012 (not sure why my profiles states October of 2014 but I'm not losing sleep over it) in order to prepare for my first experience at Burning Man but never posted any comments. Since I have a ticket for this year and we are crossing our fingers that our theme camp is approved, I thought I should give an official shout out. First off, I would like to thank everyone for the great advice offered here, the wonderful and diverse personalities that make Burning Man a reality and for welcoming everyone with open arms. There is nothing quite like a burner hug! My husband and I have attended our regional burn, Element 11, every year since 2007. We have participated in theme camps there as well as various other activities throughout the year. As I mentioned earlier, our first big burn was in 2012 and we are super excited to be returning home again this year. Can't wait to see everyone in August!!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:28 am

:D
Zombiepetter, I don't know how we missed your introduction here. That is one of the best I have seen!

And Charlsie, welcome back!

TimmyXD

Post by TimmyXD » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:03 am

Hey :) my name is Timmy, I am 23 and from London.

I have never been to Burning Man before but am hoping to make it this year after recently meeting some new friends and them inviting me to join them. Burning Man has always been somewhere I have been inspired to go to and be a part of but have never had the opportunity, so when these new friends invited me to go with them I jumped at the idea!

I am really into my music and creativity, I have a passion for psychedelc trance and have been an avid party-goer here in London for many years as well as organising a few parties myself and been a part of organising community events including yoga ansd hooping. I also enjoy spinning poi, meditating, and live...

I look forward to getting to know you guys ! Also is it possible to get the eplaya as an app for an iPhone or any other useful apps, groups, websites to keep me up to speed?

Many many thanks :)

Timmy

[edited - Eric]

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:11 am

Charlsie, Welcome. Good luck with your camp. I'm glad to meet you and can't wait to hug you!!

Zombie, Welcome. I hope you find a home that fits.

Timmyxd, Welcome. Hope you find a ticket. BTW It's not all about the party. It's also about working to make the party. Just Google Burning Man tickets and start researching where to post. Post everywhere and buy carefully. Good luck.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

zennara
Burning Since: 2016

Hello All

Post by zennara » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:16 am

Hello everyone, my name is Zennara, aka Zen. I have yet to attend a burn. I'm hoping to go this summer but 2016 is looking more and more like my year!

I'm 36 and completely new to all of this. But what drew me to it in the beginning was a documentary. The idea of community and people coming together year after year was enticing.

I have a degree in both computer graphics as well as studio art which I in turn wanted to take further and become an Art teacher but that has yet to pass. I've always been interested and completely submerged in the arts. My love and passion for it is something I cannot define. I think maybe another reason I'm drawn to this as well. A collaboration of hundreds of people year after year is amazing to me.

Anyways,, hello and I look forward to learning and teaching as I move along this enticing romantic twist of The Burning Man!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:52 am

Welcome to eplaya Zen. You have come to exactly the right place. If you are planning to attend next year then you'll have plenty of time to prepare. Our on-line community here is a resource unmatched for information and advice. Hang out. get to know us. Look around eplaya and after some research start with the questions. We have the answers. good to know you.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:49 am

Welcome, Zennara! Ratty covered it well. You might also want to read the Survival Guide and the rest of the First-Timer Information, and subscribe to Jack Rabbit Speaks.

megahertz

Post by megahertz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm completely stoked to attend my first burn this year. I'm driving in from the bay area with one or two other buds. I'm currently living in Silicon Valley but I grew up in the desert of AZ, so I'm not a stranger to the heat. I still need my shade structure but other than a good Playa bike I should have what I need to survive the event. Now I'm looking for ways to thrive out there.

Cheers
It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth - and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Welcome, megahertz. I'm glad survival is locked down and now you're on to thriving! Come by Lamplighters in Center Camp one afternoon :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

megahertz

Post by megahertz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks boyscoutgirl. I will drop in and see what I can do.
It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth - and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:40 am

Welcome Megahertz! Have the time of your life. Hang out here and enhance your experience there.

Arthur Schopenhauer

TCMBurn
Burning Since: 2014

Post by TCMBurn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:18 am

Hi there! I'm Nicolle!
2014 was my first burn, and I absolutely loved it. I won't be able to go to this year's, but I'm planning on being back for 2016!

brucewould
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Gruvhaus

Post by brucewould » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Greetings, My name is Brandon but People call me Bruce. I call the Puget sound area Home and work as a CDL driver for an organic and Natural foods distributor. I first learned of Burning man in 2006 from a man I will forever be grateful to. My supervisor, Tom, at the time says to me on a Friday afternoon at the end of my shift that he is going out of town for a week or so and when I asked him where he was going he tells me "Burning Man". So I ask him "whats Burning Man"? A question I have come to learn has an infinite number of possible answers. His answer was "google it and ill show you pictures when I get back". So I did, I spent hours checking out pictures, videos, and reading articles. Tom was true to his word and when he got back he showed me pictures of his Trip and I was sold. The same year my son was born, so Burning man 2007 was a bit out of the question. 2008 was a mess, divorce, unemployment, and Dad got sick. 2009 Dad passed away. Here I was, an unemployed single dad trying to make ends meet. Dad left us a bit cash, just enough to float us through for a few month. I knew I was going to have to get daycare figured out and get back to work but my head was in a messed up place and I needed to clear it up. So august 2010 rolls around and Gramdma wants the boy for a week and I decided to just go to burning man like a week before the event. I actually bought a ticket to burning man on the burning man ticket page a week before the event. The last year the event didn't sell out. Because it was such short notice I wasn't able to convince anybody to go with me so I posted on the ride share. I rolled to the Burn with Krista and Matt, also Virgins. We drove straight through from Seattle to Gerlach and arrived at 12:01 am on Monday like good burners should. The line was backed up to where 447 meets 34, so we waited. About the time the Sun came up we rolled into our camp site. At this point I had been awake for about 30 hours but the sun revitalized me and we were at Burning man! My first art installation I climbed on was The Mant Farm and that evening BLM busted me with weed and I got a $525 fine. It was an amazing year. We camped next to a group from LA and another group from Denver I made many life long friends that year. People that I have been camping with every year since.
In 2011 I brought along more Seattle people and Volunteered for BRC Rangers, I made it to alpha but in the end I got a free coffee a "please try again next year"
2012 We formed The Molotov Cocktail a non-placed theme camp serving flaming Cocktails and cold beer to anyone 21+ who happened by. This was the year I also first started working for Gate, and I also volunteered on the Seattle Core project "Tendrillar Woods"
2013 The Molotov Cocktail was awarded placement on Three O'Clock and Many new friends were made, particularly The fine folks at DeMentha, they make yummy
mojitos, and Blood Bath and Beyond, Jeff you Rock!
2014 Molotov was placed again with more of a focus on daily beer tastings. We Poured over 100 gallons of beer, much of it Homebrew.
2015 our camp will evolve under the Name "Gruvhaus" with 40+ people confirmed to help build this camp we really hope to put on something amazing. Check out my post under 2015 theme camps if you want to know more. Thanks for reading

Soliton

Post by Soliton » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi Burners & Burners-to-be!

I'm Dean, and heard about BM many years ago, but this is the first year that I'm going to go (well, assuming all my ticket is real and arrives on time :shock: )

It is super useful reading all the advice and wisdom on these boards --as it is somewhat daunting to plan on camping for a week in the conditions described. A big thanks to those that have posted their experiences: it helps those of us that are new even many years later. I'm preparing for the fall now, spending more money than is wise and thinking of art that is well beyond my capability to make at this point -like many virgins?

I did join a local burner group (East Bay Burners, near Oakland CA, USA), and have started to meet people. Being a bit shy/introverted, this is going to be a slow process but I think I am more likely to find interesting, friendly, and wondrously nerdy people through this venue and hopefully at the burn! I've been teaching myself neon and plasma sculpture for many years now, and hope to a few items lit and unbroken to bring with me to BRC. We'll see, but it is useful to have a target date to finish some projects.

Looking forward to meeting a few of you, and getting a bit more in tune with the culture of group :D

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi Dean, Welcome to Eplaya. I'm glad you're hooking up with ebb. they are a good lot and a great source of info for your prep work. You are NOT bringing glass artwork to the burn are you? Anyway, welcome and I hope to see more posts from you.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi Brucewould! I read about your camp earlier today and it sounds like you guys got it together. I put you in my 2015 journal as a 'must visit'. Thanks for doing what you do. See ya in the dust.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Bege81

Post by Bege81 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:57 am

Hi Burners! I'm a newbie who will be attending for the first time this year with three friends. From UK but currently living in Belgium, and feeling excited and daunted in equal measure! Not quite sure where to start with affiliation to a camp..guess it's time to do some serious research! Something tells me this will be my best festival yet.... :mrgreen:

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:49 am

Welcome Bege81! If not the best, certainly one of the most memorable. I love your attitude. Time to start prepping. Alot of us work at that all year. You do some research and if you need help bring us your questions. I can't wait to help you.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:02 am

Welcome Bege! Since you can use words like "daunted" and "affiliation" correctly in a sentence, you are all right by me! :lol:
Burning Man is very-very different from any other festival you have been to. Start reading the First-Timer Guide and such, and you will soon see what I mean. :D

AngelDust

Post by AngelDust » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:07 am

My name is Angela and I am going to attend Burning Man for the first time this year...hopefully I will be helping the Flaming Lotus Girls build Serpent Mother. I am in the San Francisco bay area and I am still looking for a group to go with. How do I find one?

jeanerz66

Post by jeanerz66 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Hello from LA! My name is Jeanie and this will be my first burn. I've been wanting to go for years but never actually made it -- till now. Super excited! Bought my first pair of playa boots a few days ago and did a happy dance! Can't wait to be home and meet you lovely playa people :)

Javaman59

Post by Javaman59 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:37 am

HI, Burners!

Another newbie, joining the conga line. I'm a first-timer, have meant to attend for years, but am only just getting a chance to do it this year. I'm working hammer and tongs to finish a novel I've been working on more-or-less steadily for five years which focuses on Utopian ideals, relationship, and the modern meaning of "home." This year's BM will hopefully signal the start of my endgame, since I've known for quite a while that the final chapter or so would need to take place on the playa. I'm hoping to connect with an established camp (both for the hand-holding and also for the research connections it will provide for me); ready, willing and eager to provide service in the spirit of the fest, and eager, too, to make your collective acquaintance.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat May 09, 2015 6:17 am

Welcome Javaman. Well, after attending Burning Man, you may need to go back and edit your entire novel from the beginning. Home will mean something entirely different once you leave the playa. Since you've studied this so in depth, it may give you a whole new perspective. (maybe not)
In any event, please be sure to click on the links in my signature below and do all your prep.

See you in the dust.

Sham....

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Welcome, Javaman!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

jhman89

Post by jhman89 » Sun May 10, 2015 12:44 am

Hi,
My name is Jake. I am a creator and an improver, a drummer and a cook, a flowartist and a moonchild.

This will be my first year at BurningMan, I cant wait to come finally share in this experience.

I have been working on a very cool art piece to display at my campsite. I will be contributing some art (to the ones I find most intriguing) and bringing some fun things to trade :mrgreen:

I cant wait to spin fire with the Conclave!
Live in Love

CRA5H
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Thumper

Post by CRA5H » Sun May 10, 2015 9:10 am

Hello, my name is Taylor and I'm 34. People call me crash because I'm good at crashing things including myself. 2014 was my first trip to the big burn and I went face first into the playa while riding my bike which left a nice mark. So, the name has stuck. My first burn was at the Michigan regional Lakes of Fire in 2013.

I am now the sound lead for our camp, Thumper which was birthed from an almost unbelievable serious of serendipitous events leading up to and surrounding my first burn at the Michigan regional Lakes of Fire. Thumper is a camp located at 3 & G. We play music from around 6pm to midnight and give our neighborhood a place to gather and socialize before heading out for a night on the town.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 17, 2015 7:35 pm

So many new faces here! Welcome everybody. I hope you ALL stick around and become part of our little on-line community. Eplaya is your best resource for the unnecessary prep work we all do. Research your interests and then ask questions or just join in the conversations. Get to know us now and we'll hug you in the dust later. The best way to search this board is using Google. Search for whatever you're interested in plus 'eplaya' in the search. ei...'unicorn camp 2012 eplaya'. Or 'eplaya pickleback'. You get the picture.

Arthur Schopenhauer

crease

Post by crease » Sun May 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Nice one, Never thought of searching via Google. Been using the native search box which is definitely limited!
Irish virgin hoping to make it to 2015

Return to “The Greeter's Station”