Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
tigzxone
Burning Since: 2016

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by tigzxone » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:19 am

hello friendly people of the playa my name is Vince or you can call me tigz if you like. I have been reading up on BM for a while and would like to make the life changing journey to BM in 2016. I have read a lot of survival guides and things about camps and villages and trying to learn as much as I can. I would like to connect with a local group in nyc or around the boroughs and hopefully make some dope connections. NYC is a tough city and I'm hoping to meet some down to earth people I can ride out with next year! So if anybody is interesting in taking in a virgin and teaching him the ropes please do. personally love the rave culture and believe in plur so If anybody is cool with that hit me up please
I'm shy and introverted but I give a lot love and hope to make real connections on here

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:04 am

Welcome! The board gets a little quiet as we are all shaking out the dust and prepping for Decompression events. Try to find your local people, see what's bubbling and brewing over the winter. Go into Open Discussion and poke around.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:57 am

Welcome Michelle and Tigz. Great! You have an entire year to gather information, connections and stuff. Eplayans can be a coarse group, (caustic in fact), but in person they are sweethearts. Do some research. This is the absolute best place to find answers. Ask some questions. The experts are hiding here. We'll be hugging you in the dust next year.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

TinBasher
Burning Since: 2013

Post by TinBasher » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:14 am

Hello Everybody!

My name is Mike or Tonebender (orTinBasher).
I'm currently living in Alberta, Canada home of the Canadian Rockies. Formerly of Halifax, Nova Scotia - stop by for a good time.
I've been to Burning Man twice: Cargo Cult and Carnival of Mirrors. Solo both times and I'm looking to connect with some of the people I've met at BRC and others that I haven't. I would also like to join a theme camp - I know which end of the hammer to hold and can drive anything with wheels.

Slainte!
Mike

aheim234
Burning Since: 2015

Post by aheim234 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:40 pm

Hello! My name is Aubrey and I am out of San Franisco, CA! This was my first year attending BM and had a totally wonderful time. I am on this site to track down an unfortunate bike loss and sending out some love in hopes that it will return itself to SF.

~Aubrey

LandL

Post by LandL » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi! We are so excited about the possibility of attending BM next year and becoming part of the community. Live in Redondo Beach and looking to learn tons and making some new friends along the way!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Hola and hello to each and everyone of you.

Stick around, join in the convos, we don't bite

much
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Crawf1965

Post by Crawf1965 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:49 am

Hello to all

I'm Tim and me and my most excelent wife Stacey are from the suburbs north of Philly PA and we hope to be making
our first trip to Black Rock in 2016
She and I are hitting the over 50 hump part of life and putting together our list of "shit to do when the
Kids are out the door list". I only had one, and I been dreaming of it for 5 years. So may 2016 be the year
I finaly get over my red haired/pale skinned fear of the desert and make it happen. Im doing a lot of research
And trying to get involved with the local guys in the Philly area to make some friends and collect some hugs

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:28 am

Crawf1965 wrote:Hello to all

I'm Tim and me and my most excelent wife Stacey are from the suburbs north of Philly PA and we hope to be making
our first trip to Black Rock in 2016
She and I are hitting the over 50 hump part of life and putting together our list of "shit to do when the
Kids are out the door list". I only had one, and I been dreaming of it for 5 years. So may 2016 be the year
I finaly get over my red haired/pale skinned fear of the desert and make it happen. Im doing a lot of research
And trying to get involved with the local guys in the Philly area to make some friends and collect some hugs
lol dont worry there's sunscreen for that. my daughter is a red haired/pale skin and she is a burner. Though she was born here in n.nv and is of course quite acclimated...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Kitten Wasabi

Post by Kitten Wasabi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm Kitten Wasabi, and will be joining for the first time in 2016. I like to volunteer and plan on doing so, and I will be bringing my massage table and sharing massage and Reiki with people. Our area is having a regional event (Art Bikes & Picnic - YAY!) here in Portland that I'm looking forward to. I am really grateful for ePlaya and all the useful information participants provide here. So....HELLO, and THANK YOU!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Kitten Wasabi wrote:I'm Kitten Wasabi, and will be joining for the first time in 2016. I like to volunteer and plan on doing so, and I will be bringing my massage table and sharing massage and Reiki with people. Our area is having a regional event (Art Bikes & Picnic - YAY!) here in Portland that I'm looking forward to. I am really grateful for ePlaya and all the useful information participants provide here. So....HELLO, and THANK YOU!
Welcome, Kitten Wasabi! :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

RaineLore

Post by RaineLore » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi! My name is Raine.

I'm a first time Burner, trying to get there for 2016.

I'm a hair dresser in Alaska, recently an empty nester, and I am almost finished with my DIY home remodel. I'll be turning 40 next Halloween and I decided it's time to make the trek to BRC.

I'm looking for a camp to help in, but I'm a little concerned about the environment.

I have chronic lung inflammation from autoimmune disease. Though, to be fair, I wear a mask here in the winter during dust storms. I'm not sure how my body will handle the big temperature changes from day to night. So, I'm looking for suggestions and the best ways to deal with it.

I badly want to go to BM, so all info is great!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:27 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:30 pm

RaineLore wrote:Hi! My name is Raine.

I'm a first time Burner, trying to get there for 2016.

I'm a hair dresser in Alaska, recently an empty nester, and I am almost finished with my DIY home remodel. I'll be turning 40 next Halloween and I decided it's time to make the trek to BRC.

I'm looking for a camp to help in, but I'm a little concerned about the environment.

I have chronic lung inflammation from autoimmune disease. Though, to be fair, I wear a mask here in the winter during dust storms. I'm not sure how my body will handle the big temperature changes from day to night. So, I'm looking for suggestions and the best ways to deal with it.

I badly want to go to BM, so all info is great!
Welcome! :D A year is an excellent amount of time to prepare.

If you've got the obligatory all-clear from your doctor, of course: as a person with tricky lungs, you might find the best chance of success with an RV or trailer (shared or not), as it can be pretty hard to keep dust out of a tent. (Canvas tents are the exception--they generally don't allow any through the fabric or seams, other than anything you might track in).

It was very dusty and windy this year, for hours at a time, so you're right to take things seriously. Here's one of many threads about masks, found by typing "mask eplaya" into Google (you can find others, too, in that fashion).

Playa Lung Dust Masks
viewtopic.php?t=56557

It was also pretty hot sometimes during the day (90's--not sure if it reached 100) and very cold at night on at least 3 nights (low 40's, I think). So you'll probably like light, breezy, loose things for day, and for night, you're going to want layers--a thick, warm, coat (something fun if you have it--& some lights to clip on) and maybe a hoodie or two, long johns, and/or pajamas.

I'm so glad I brought soft pajamas this year. I slept in three layers of clothes, and between 2 comforters and a blanket. (It would not have been nice if any of those layers were constricting.)

Slaphappy
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Slaphappy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:53 am

Hi, I am new to eplaya as of this past weekend. I have put in a request to change name to Slaphappy, apologies for all the consonants above.

2015 was my first burn and it was phenomenal, just added my experience to many others on the '2015 stories' page. Writing here to say 'hi' to all, and to encourage those newbies like me who find it tough to connect all the dots to make a Black Rock City trip actually happen to keep at it. If it wasn't extremely difficult, a million people would show up and it wouldn't be nearly as special as it is. So stay determined and hope to see you out there! :D

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:18 pm

blbpdsusa wrote:Hi, I am new to eplaya as of this past weekend. I have put in a request to change name to Slaphappy, apologies for all the consonants above.

2015 was my first burn and it was phenomenal, just added my experience to many others on the '2015 stories' page. Writing here to say 'hi' to all, and to encourage those newbies like me who find it tough to connect all the dots to make a Black Rock City trip actually happen to keep at it. If it wasn't extremely difficult, a million people would show up and it wouldn't be nearly as special as it is. So stay determined and hope to see you out there! :D
Welcome, Future Slaphappy! :)

Kelsier
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Hello All! I've been wanting to post in here for a while, but I don't think my words can properly express my excitement at the potential for joining the burn in 2016. I decided about 6 months before the LAST burn that I was finally going to go. I figured a year and a half should be a good start to planning. Sadly, I'm obsessed, and many nights fall asleep thinking about shade structures, meal plans, costume ideas, and fun ways to decorate my tent. Makes that year wait almost unbearable (and forget about even considering the possibility that I may not be able to score a ticket)

I was going to build a Hexayurt, but practicality won out. I realized I would get much more use out of a tent in the default word, so sprung for a 10x14 Kodiak. It is supposed to arrive towards the end of this month; I'm so EXCITED! And I've already started testing my vacuumed-sealed-frozen-meals-warmed-up-in-hot-water plan. Glad I did, because I never would have thought Breakfast Burritos would float that much!

Anyway, I wanted to say thank you to all the regular posters on here; I recognize so many of your names now after months of reading these boards. I've learned a lot and have you to thank you it. I Hope to see you on the playa!

(Also, Slaphappy, I read your experience post yesterday... LOVED it!)

Kelsier

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:49 pm

Hola and hello...

Looks like you're hooked! It does become obsessive :lol: I love your post and enthusiasm, hopefully you stick around and join in the conversations here. I was a lurker myself for quite awhile...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Welcome Kelsier! You've come at a very slow time for eplaya. People are off at Decompressions and generally trying to get back into the swing of everyday life. It's great that you're planning so far ahead. Don't burden yourself with art and gifting the first year. (Most people get the gifting wrong on their maiden voyage anyway.) Just get your butt out there and you can pick up a couple of volunteer shifts to 'give back' and be a part of the community. Bring more socks and underwear than you planned on. Less fancy costumes. Keep it as simple as possible. Refrigerating your prepared food is fine till you run out of ice. It's hot. It's cold. It's dusty. Prepare for that and you're ready. Quit lurking and ask us some questions. Then come to the Meet & Greet. We'll hug you. Welcome to eplaya.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:20 am

Uh Ratty? You forgot wind. It's windy as fuck at times. Windy as fuck
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:39 am

Yes Lucky. High winds. It's high as fuck. And sometimes wet.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:33 am

All good advice, thank you! I've found a benefit of starting to plan so early, is that I have time to become more realistic and pair down some of the chaos of what I will bring/wear. There is also a good chance that I will be camping with a relatively large established camp, so that will definitely alter some of what I bring in terms of infrastructure. So far I've been doing all my planning as if I were camping entirely by myself; taking self reliance to heart.

It's hard to stop lurking! Seems that most every question I ask, I'm able to find "answers" already here on the board. Granted, they don't always agree with each other, but it is good to get different opinions and experiences. I do have one question involving aluminet and tarps with kodiak tents, but I'll post that on the proper thread.

I look forward to those hugs!

Kelsier
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:18 pm

Kelsier wrote:...
Seems that most every question I ask, I'm able to find "answers" already here on the board.
You are doing it right! Some of us get tired of answering the same questions -- when they are questions that ought to have been covered by the newbie's most basic research. The self-reliance thing. So, you are a breath of fresh air!

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:59 pm

I haven't been able to figure out... which camp sells water?

:wink:
I'll get the net.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Kelsier wrote:I haven't been able to figure out... which camp sells water?

:wink:

keep lookin :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:58 pm

I found it! Reno Camp! Apparently it's bit beyond the borders of BRC, but I hear it is well lit.

Kelsier
I'll get the net.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:16 pm

The standard joke is that Arctica sells water. You just have to wait for it to melt first.

ninsquad

Post by ninsquad » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Good Morning from Australia...
We plan to Burn next year, if we can manage to find all the answers to the many questions we have. I feel overwhelmed and excited just beginning to plan :) These message boards look like a good starting point. For work I help people transition from living to dying but I am looking at reversing my role and becoming a midwife. I love my dogs, my friends, flowers and mother nature. I heard about BM from my ex husband, he had good advice when it came to having fun. :shock:

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Welcome Ninsquad. I really, really admire people that come from other continents. Logistics, extensive planning, sacrifice, it's amazing. Those of us that live nearby complain about every inconvenience and hardship. My suggestion to you is read and then read some more. the answers are all here. Make lists of things you need, things you want and things you don't understand. After getting a rudimentary grasp on the event, ask us. 10 people will give you 5 different answers and you can pick. (Winner to be announced). Welcome to eplaya. Don't be a stranger.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Agaton
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Ninsquad! You are just in time for today's announcment of the 2016 Theme: da Vinci's Workshop. What might you do with that?
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Return to “The Greeter's Station”