Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Gypsy

Thank's

Post by Gypsy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Why yes, and thank's . I have checked in to the local events,and I
have been contacted by some local Springs Burnners.I'm stoked .

I don't feel I have properly introduced myself so here go's :
Well I am a 38 yr young selfemployed craftsman. I travel around the country sell/barter/trading the goods that I make and create.
I have been road merchanting for 17 yr's now. I'm looking
forward to Burnning with you folks . For I believe most of my clientele
are /have been/would be likely to participate in Burnning Man !!
I'll be going to the local Burnning event hear in Colorado Dreamtime.
WWW.dreamthefuture.org
I am planning on going this yr if all my plans come through !Hopeing
But if not next yr's plans are as of know set !
All in all Burnning Man is with all it's people the most unique event
this world has ever seen ! My feelings are that we should be greatful
to have the opportunity to participate in such an experence !
Thanks,
Gypsy

webdvl

Hello Burners!!

Post by webdvl » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:09 am

Hey all! I'm a BM virgin and can't tell you all how excited I am about experienceing this years burn. I've known about the event for years, but for some reason, this year seems like it's the year to go.

By way of introduction, I'm a 35 year old web developer in Erie, PA. My business partners and I started a new business a couple of years ago and things are finially looking up. Our new online office/business application suite is starting to take off.

I have a MFA in ceramics and sculpture from Edinboro Univeristy here in PA and my grad school experience is how I first heard of Burning Man. (Anyone involved in ceramics HAS to be at least part pyromaniac,)

My friends and I also started a community theatre group a year or so ago called Stage Right Productions. So I'm also very much into theatre. Right now we are getting ready to open 'Cabaret'.

Anyway, as I said, this year is going to be my first Burning Man and I am stoked! I'll be going solo and driving out from Erie. I've read jsut about everything on the BM site and a lot of the forums. I'm trying to decide if I want to build a small dome or something simpler to call home while on the playa. I've got a lot of ideas for an art project, but need to figure out how much I can handle on my virgin trip.

Looking forward to an awesome time and meeting a lot of wonderful, interesting people.

webdvl

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:51 am

Hi gang. A lot of you know me, but with all the newbies and virgins signing onto this thread, I thought I would re-introduce myself. To my friends, I'm simply Doc. I have been going to Burning Man for the past six years and run "The Biggest Little Theme Camp On The Playa": Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, which last year and (ideally) this year is a part of Wheeeee!ville. We, for the past three years, have been hosting the Eplaya/3playa Meet & Greet, Thursday evening at 6 p.m. which is one of the few "don't-miss" activities you will want to pencil into your otherwise already-crowded playa schedule. If any of you playavirgins are looking for some sagely advice, e-mail me and I'll pass on what I know. But let me leave you with this tidbit: There is only one commodity that has any real value on the playa: Time. Use it wisely.

Doc

occupant

Post by occupant » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:52 pm

My name is Alan, I'm 26, live in Dallas, and I'm primarily a car guy. Haven't found a niche for this whole Burning Man thing yet, but I imagine with the resources available online, combined with discussions with a few people I know who have attended, I should have a pretty good idea of where I can fit in before I make my first event.

At the very least, it will be a thousand mile trip in each direction, and I know I'll enjoy that.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Hello Burners!!

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:43 am

webdvl wrote: I have a MFA in ceramics and sculpture from Edinboro Univeristy here in PA and my grad school experience is how I first heard of Burning Man. (Anyone involved in ceramics HAS to be at least part pyromaniac,)
Well there's been a ceremics studio on playa for at least the last two years. And one prominent eplayan is also a ceramicist. But you guys aren't as nuts as us glass people. (IMHO)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

sparkletarte

Post by sparkletarte » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:12 am

Hi everyone and especially hi to GoldE! I recognized your name from Shambles. Very cool that you're making the trip to BRC. There's a bunch of people who go to both, although on the eplaya no one knows about Shambhala that much, I try though...hahaha! We'll have a little Kootenay camp- I can tell you where it is when we figure it out, although connecting(on a time frame) can be challenging out in the desert.

BM is really different than Shambhala, but similar in ways. It's great to have more people going to both because there's things we can share from each experience. Being in the desert is soooo different than being on the ranch. I miss the river at BM but that's part of the fun of it too. You'll have a great time.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:15 pm

Wow, Missouri burners, eh? (St. Louis girl here, originally!)

Just a reminder to all you far-flung types: check out the map at http://regionals.burningman.com to find out if there are other folks in your area -- like Missouri, where there's a whole statewide group...plus my dad in Lake Ozark is coming this year and he's planning a burn at his property coming up in April, in addition to the other regional activities the Regional Contacts can tell you about...

We also do have contacts in Edmonton, Alb., and all over the world.
Cheers!

RandomX

First Timer.....

Post by RandomX » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:06 pm

Hey all.

My name is Eric and I am 23. This will be my first burn.

I am looking forward to this years burn as it will be an experiance that will open my eyes to a more open and hopefully happy world for myself. Expose myself to more art and music and people then what I am currently used to.

I am an aspiring actor (enrolled in private acting school), having recently discovered that acting is a serious love, and is something that I can do with out fear or self doubt that usually plagues me, so I am hoping to hook up with some people for some improv theater or something like that, anyone that will have me that is. I want to participate, and maybe give a little something to Burning Man, as I know that I will be given so much from the experiance.

It will be a bit of a hike for me in that I am going to be flying from Maine and then renting a car or taking the train to the Man from Reno. But I am extreamly excited about it.

Anyway, only 206 days now!

Han O1

Post by Han O1 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:13 am

Howdy Eric,

Prepare to be suprised by what you find, no matter what you read beforehand. I imagine you will find BMan a great inspiration. I know I certainly have. As far as improv theatre, it kinda sorta seems like the whole shebang is an improv theatre.
Well, anyway, Im a 4 time burner just saying hi to the good peoples here, I missed out last year after 4 in a row and am really getting stoked by the idea of this years event. got tickets, got the juices flowin. Im a 26 year old English teacher in Japan, painting away in my free time. you may see me painting out on the playa sometime this next year, or in center camp. Hope y'alls are havin a good one out there, see ya round.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:30 am

randomX wrote:Expose myself to more art and music and people then what I am currently used to.
How many people do you currently expose yourself too? Yoiu should be careful with that in reality camp. You can get arrested.

You might want to reconsider the train, it's not a very practical method of travel in the west, and you'll still get only as close as Reno. Hit the Rideshare section of Burningman.com, or the Share section of this board to find someone with whom to ride. You'll save money, and they'll get to have someone to share expenses of fuel. See you out there.

Oh, and I have a cat named random. Meow.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:33 am

[quote="Ranger GeniusOh, and I have a cat named random. Meow.[/quote]

...I may or may not have a cat named "Shroedinger".
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:57 am

Boo! Hiss!
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Gold-E

Post by Gold-E » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:04 pm

sparkletarte
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:12 am Post subject:
Hi everyone and especially hi to GoldE! I recognized your name from Shambles. Very cool that you're making the trip to BRC. There's a bunch of people who go to both, although on the eplaya no one knows about Shambhala that much, I try though...hahaha! We'll have a little Kootenay camp- I can tell you where it is when we figure it out, although connecting(on a time frame) can be challenging out in the desert.

BM is really different than Shambhala, but similar in ways. It's great to have more people going to both because there's things we can share from each experience. Being in the desert is soooo different than being on the ranch. I miss the river at BM but that's part of the fun of it too. You'll have a great time.
Sparkle tarte,

I got back to ya! I am stoked....i keep thinkin about sham then Bm, sham then BM....Hopefuuly I can come this year...I want to ever so bad, ny mastercard won't be so forgiving though....I don't care money has no comparison in my time and what I want to do for fun....it aint gonna stop me. My boyfriend suggested that we skip sham this year and go to BM instead....HELL NO! I'm doing both if I have too...Sham is way to precious.

keep in touch! :)

Prime Duchess

Post by Prime Duchess » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:58 am

Hey I'm new here. This will be my first burn, most likely taking the train(48 hour trip) there and meeting some friends. I'm in Grand Rapids Michigan. 23 years old. I'm a fashion merchandising student here at the community college.
I am not sure how I first heard of this place, probably just searching the web. I've heard tons about the even itself and I decided I needed to go. My boyfiend and I are both artists so it seemed right up our alley.
I've been reading anything and everything about BM and I am really excited to go.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:02 am

Make sure you read the survival guide, and read through the FAQ's on BM and here on this board. There's no such thing as being too prepared. Welcome aboard. Start planning out your camp, and if you have any questions, look through the threads on this board, and if you can't find the answer or want a more specific one, feel free to ask us. There's a lot of experience amassed here on this board, and I've seen some really great ideas spat out. Got a limeric for ya:

All was well with the Dowager Duchess
When trapped in the Mad Rapist's clutches
'til he turned on the light,
took one look, said good night;
so she smacked him with one of her crutches.

Welcome aboard.

Prime Duchess

Post by Prime Duchess » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:59 am

Yup, I think I have read the survival guide at least 2 times and the faq. I think I have combed though the website pretty damn good heh.
I've been maintaining a list of stuff to bring/remember/get prepared. I have also been saving $$$.

Ha I quite enjoyed that lil poem.
Thanks!

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:07 am

I'm glad to hear it. On both counts. why not stop over in the bar in General discussion and introduce yourself for real? Don't bother trying to catch up there...just walk into the middle of the discussion like in a real bar.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:18 pm

Anybody else?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Vego

Post by Vego » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi My name's John Paul, I'm 28 and happily married with a 20 month old daughter and 1 unknown on the way (I think it's hermaphrodite twins but my wife disagrees). 2005 will be our first Burning Man and we're damn excited. It was a tough decision with her going to be 7 months pregnant, but she's tough, we've done our homework and have quite a supportive group of friends going along. We'll have to miss 2006 because she'll be nursing (in the dust...blah) so we're just saying no to putting it off another year.
Been reading the forum the weeks now and it's refreshing to find such a large group of like minded souls...and incredibly different minded souls, which is just as interesting (The subsonic, nausea-headache-sore throat-so you can't rest better-inducing, interrogation tool super speaker scared the shit outta me, frankly) on the net. Look forward to chattin' JP
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Welcome Vego, and wife to be named later, It's good to have you around! stop into the Bar down in the General section some time.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:40 am

Welcome Vego!

That’s a big choice there. In no way trying to discourage you, but only make sure you’re being realistic and prepared. It’s a pretty harsh environment out there in the desert even for someone who's not "in a family way". But there’s plenty of people around here to help you be informed about how that might affect a late term pregnancy. Be sure to do your research here and elsewhere for the safety of the child. There’s several burner moms around here that could probably comment on it better than I.

Again... Welcome!!

Vego

Post by Vego » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome Zulegoona and LeChatNoir (do you have short names?)
We researched as well as we could and expect, and will be prepared for, harsh desert conditions coupled with a week long party beyond our belief. Of course my wife (Tiphany by the way, Zulegoona - I'm not really possesive, just taking shortcuts - she'll heretoforth be dubbed Tiph, pronounced Tiff) will not be able to fully partake in all the activities but she is excited to be going. We've wanted to do this for years. We're very active and she was in better shape at 8 1/2 months pregnant at The Oregon Country Fair '03 than I have been since ditching the military. Yeah, I know the OCF has nothing on Burning Man but it's a 4 day 24 hour a day party living from a camp. Call it prep school for serious partyin' while preggars. Anyway, I'm working on some alternatively powered ways to keep her cool and comfortable (what do you think of me towing her around in a decked out lawn cart equipped with recliner, me in a S&M style harness and her with a bull whip. Or under her own power a La-Z-Girl equipped trike-maybe some large mister fans with a plastic back/under cloth to catch the water)
She's one tough cookie and I have the utmost confidence in her ability to judge whether we are putting our beloved unborn in any sort of jeopardy. If this was our first I'd probably call it off, but knowing what to expect she says she wants to go. She is my soulmate, I couldn't imagine going without her to experience Burning Man.[/quote]

Vego

Post by Vego » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome Zulegoona and LeChatNoir (do you have short names?)
We researched as well as we could and expect, and will be prepared for, harsh desert conditions coupled with a week long party beyond our belief. Of course my wife (Tiphany by the way, Zulegoona - I'm not really possesive, just taking shortcuts - she'll heretoforth be dubbed Tiph, pronounced Tiff) will not be able to fully partake in all the activities but she is excited to be going. We've wanted to do this for years. We're very active and she was in better shape at 8 1/2 months pregnant at The Oregon Country Fair '03 than I have been since ditching the military. Yeah, I know the OCF has nothing on Burning Man but it's a 4 day 24 hour a day party living from a camp. Call it prep school for serious partyin' while preggars. Anyway, I'm working on some alternatively powered ways to keep her cool and comfortable (what do you think of me towing her around in a decked out lawn cart equipped with recliner, me in a S&M style harness and her with a bull whip. Or under her own power a La-Z-Girl equipped trike-maybe some large mister fans with a plastic back/under cloth to catch the water)
She's one tough cookie and I have the utmost confidence in her ability to judge whether we are putting our beloved unborn in any sort of jeopardy. If this was our first I'd probably call it off, but knowing what to expect she says she wants to go. She is my soulmate, I couldn't imagine going without her to experience Burning Man.[/quote]

Vego

Post by Vego » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:29 pm

What the fuck! I hate double posts - sorry, I really don't know how that happened - yes...I did hit the freakin' button twice but it acted like it didn't register my first click.

Can some administrator remove that? Please?

Now I feel shitty about thinking somebody was an idiot for posting twice. It's just too easy :?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:43 pm

(We all point and laugh)

yeah, we never do that!!!

My friend, I’ve seen plenty of double posts over in the Bar. Don’t’ sweat it.

Elemental666

Post by Elemental666 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:01 am

*stumbles in out of the rain*
*trips over his own feet*

ooof!

Um...

Hiya, despite my aggitation at the name, my friends call me Pez... If you wanna know my real name, you gotta find me in real life... till then you can call me Elemental666 or any derivative thereof... Anywho, I'm turning 30 right before I leave for BM for the first time this year. I plan to explore, meet and party with folks and escape the ho hum what's your net worth world. I figure I'll have plenty of inspiration for more involvement next year after my experiences this year. I am however building a dome in back yard to serve as my camps chillout/cooldown/shower spot for this year's burn.

So um yeah, Merry meet and all that jazz! See you on the playa!

now where's this bar I hear so much about?

*stumble out into the rain*

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:47 am

Watch that first step......

*Bang, crash, thump, thud splork, splat, drip drip drip).

Uh, it's a killer. Nevermind.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:53 am

Vego wrote: It was a tough decision with her going to be 7 months pregnant, but she's tough, we've done our homework and have quite a supportive group of friends going along.
Just to be prissy I'm including the links for playa pregnancy.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... gnant.html
and
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 0&start=20
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Vego

Post by Vego » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks for the links and your concern, Cryptofishist. We had seen the first page/link but although we saw some references from that 2nd link/ thread we hadn't found the actual thread.
I also had some PM's with Alpha who had his wife at BM when she was 7 months. Tiphany and I don't expect she'll have as much fun as she could not being pregnant and will definitely not be as comfortable as I, for example, will be but we're performers, the show must go on.
In all honesty, we know it's a risk that need not be taken. But life is a series, a really loooong series, of risks. We're calculating that this risk is worth the reward. We view the reward as furthering our enlightenment. Learning more of life, the possibilities of our minds and maybe just maybe gain a little more knowledge of what the hell we're all here for (it can't be he who dies with the most money wins)
Money doesn't mean shit except comfort and comfort is a perception anyway. If we get there and she says I don't feel good about this we're outta there - I'm not sweatin the $550 pair of tickets and $1500 plus I plan to spend on gifts, projects and preparation. It's not going to make an ounce of difference to our decision to keep our unborn safe.
I'm going off on a tangent here - all I wanted to say was thanks and let you know we won't risk a life for our own enjoyment.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:52 am

Ya know, I have no problem with children on the playa and no problem with pregnancy on the playa (although 9 months seems pushing the envelope too far), I do have a problem with people who just sorta do something stupid and risky (esp. to others) thoughtlessly. I don't sniff any of that here. My one thing is--have an "escape plan." You probably won't need it, but if things get too much, you'll be glad you had it. (My husband has been helicoptered off the playa for dust--so I have some perspective on it.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “The Greeter's Station”