Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:35 pm

How appropriate. Would you be my cousin?

Anyway, welcome and talk to us some more when you're up for it.

ModernShaman

Post by ModernShaman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon, i am hoping that i will be able to attend this year. My friends and I are thinking up something share with you all.
Just wanted to say hello.
With Much Love... <3 ModernShaman

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:30 pm

w'sup ModernShaman? Planning on starting a cult?

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:39 pm

Hey Modern Shaman, welcome, and if you're starting a cult, please talk to me first, I've been researching cults with an eye for creating my own and I have lot's of ideas to share with you.

mahasamatman3

Greetings from Texas . First Time Burner Hopeful...

Post by mahasamatman3 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:27 pm

Hi All !

I'm William D. - first time burner / long time craver of the community in the desert.

More to follow... I'm still getting my Scholarchip App to work - naughty technology.

I'm open to ANYTHING and can't wait to find out if I'll be able to swing my attendance for real. Gotta buddy with a 32ft RoadHog RV and free air-fare... gotta get my ticket working.

Want to see it all, esperience everything ai can cram into the cortex / the journals / the collages and things I spring together...

Peaxe,
Rev. D.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." - Thomas Jefferson

Sunshine Elf

Post by Sunshine Elf » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi there, I'm new
hooray for Dr. Zoidberg...I mean for me.

Greetings Burnlings, I come in peace.

cheerio me maties,

{^whistle whistle whistle^}

the sunshine elf
Thank you for being us. Please come again.

teal1960

Post by teal1960 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi all,

My name is Meg and this will be my first trip to Black Rock Desert. I am extremely looking forward to attending. I have been facisnated since the first time I saw photo of the man burning as a pc background several years ago. My first reaction was what is that happening, it looks amazing. My coworkers looked at me and then said where have you been..that's a long story. I had a person to go with, but that is lookin a little shakey right now so I am looking to connect or converse with anyone close to where I live in Novato,
CA, 20 miles north of San Francisco.

Cheers

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 pm

Whoa, teal1960, Sunshine Elf, mahasamatman3... lot of fresh avatars. Take a look around the main site, cruise a bit... and dont fall for the spinning hubcap from a string pic, UFO's are too shy for that crap.

damn area51 conspiracy alien Larry freaks...

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:07 am

Hello all, it's nice to see some fresh faces around here. Thanks for introducing yourselves and if you have any questions just ask. Your sure to get an answer, though I can't guarentee it'll be a usefull one.

spork_the_magical

Post by spork_the_magical » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:30 pm

Hi all,
Another virgin here from the PNW. I am coming down with half a dozen or so veterans, so I feel my health and safety are well taken care of.

We've got some ideas for interactive games and I've already got an art project (small - near our camp) to get my feet wet.

I don't really know what to expect except that I've never been so sure about doing anything in my life, my conservative family be damned!

I look forward to chatting with you all.

spork
"Do it big, do it right and do it with style." � Fred Astaire

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:55 pm

nice to meet you spork! Thanks for stopping in and saying hello.

pwrstrm

Salutations & Greetings from Orlando, FL

Post by pwrstrm » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Salutations & Greetings from Orlando, FL. I'm Storm (Much catchier than my label, "Trisha", in the mundane world, don't you think?) From my mother, who is an artist that used to colorize b&w photographic portraits, I received the gifts of the eyes, hands, and heart of an artist. From my father, who is a college professor and textbook author, I received the powers of a strong intellect and reason. So the purpose of this lifetime seems to be to find a balance between these two strong callings. I'm currently submersed way too deep in the business world with my job, so I've decided that a deeper submersion in something creative is required to regain that balance. And since I am trying to experience as much as this life has to offer me (To date, I have enjoyed adventures as small and simple as cleaning the Wekiwa River from a canoe to encounters that would be classified as "daredevil" like jumping from a 727 jet), I figured a visit to the Playa was in order, especially since I attended a regional BM event in CO last year. I'm looking for a camp to shack up with, so if anyone has advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Blue Skies,
Storm

tmspmike

Post by tmspmike » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:22 pm

Howdy -

My name is Michael - I live in a Seattle 'burb, 2004 was first year for BRC, have tickets for 2005 (yay!). Have a question: What do the non-clock hand cross streets refer to on the 2005 city map? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Michael

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Greetings new friends! I've been mulling over a trip to BM for a few years now but had a few fears, including the supposed widespread drug use (I'm clean and sober). But a friend who's been going a few years now talked me into it (OK, he didn't have to work very hard) and I just got my ticket. Yeah!

The boyfriend is staying at home (no showers=no way for him!) and hopefully I can quit my icky job by then so I'll be free to, well, whatever.

Not quite sure what to expect but I'm looking forward to creating community and enjoying an adventure...oh and escaping the cold and foggy San Francisco summer.

Please give me a shout out and let me now what I absolutely have to see and do...I know there probably won't be nearly enough time!

Andy
I love monkeys and boys but especially monkey-boys

spectabillis

Re: Salutations & Greetings from Orlando, FL

Post by spectabillis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:53 pm

pwrstrm wrote:... since I attended a regional BM event in CO last year.
hey low storm, not to knock the CO regional because I have not been, but the main event is a hell of a lot different and more extreme.

pwrstrm

Bring It On!

Post by pwrstrm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm

...the main event is a hell of a lot different and more extreme.
I sure hope so, because the regional one wasn't nearly extreme enough for me. It just increased my fever for the real thing!
~Storm

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:30 pm

tmspmike wrote:Howdy -

My name is Michael - I live in a Seattle 'burb, 2004 was first year for BRC, have tickets for 2005 (yay!). Have a question: What do the non-clock hand cross streets refer to on the 2005 city map? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Michael
You mean the theme?psyche
Underwhelming, huh.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tmspmike

Post by tmspmike » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:57 pm

Nope - not the theme - I get that. The actual cross streets on the BRC 2005 map. Not the clock face avenues, the 4-digit number streets. Are they measurements in feet from the Man?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:29 pm

Yes they are. Feet, I believe. THey will be named names during the actual event. I believe "mania" is one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

spectabillis

Re: Bring It On!

Post by spectabillis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:41 pm

pwrstrm wrote:I sure hope so, because the regional one wasn't nearly extreme enough for me. It just increased my fever for the real thing!
Oh yeah.

I have to ask, how did you jump out of a 727? I mean, are those the ones with the engines on the tail?

pwrstrm

727 jump

Post by pwrstrm » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:44 pm

I used the back door ;)

This was a cargo jet so the rear hatch was accessible and had plenty of clearance. You get sucked out the back so fast that there's no real danger.
~Storm

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:48 pm

Hello all you newbies (too many to name).

spectabillis

Re: 727 jump

Post by spectabillis » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:55 pm

pwrstrm wrote:This was a cargo jet so the rear hatch was accessible and had plenty of clearance. You get sucked out the back so fast that there's no real danger.
Now thats awsome. Never dived before, but cant even imagine at that speed.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:31 pm

Hello, Hello all you new faces!!!

WOW!!!

Jumpin outta planes... cults... Topcats and sporks!!! It's gettin' better by the minute

So happy to see you here. Please do come talk, ask questions, and read, read, read. Shy? That’s ok. Consider me your official greeter of shy peoples/creatures.

(Exits to go and hang a sign in the Bar saying, “Strays Welcome”)
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:11 pm

Top Hat,
Greetings new friends! I've been mulling over a trip to BM for a few years now but had a few fears, including the supposed widespread drug use (I'm clean and sober).
I don't know your situation and I'm not a twelve stepper, but I do know there a at least a couple of 12 step groups that meet in Black Rock City over the week, check out the theme camp listings to find out more if you think it could come in handy for you.

Have a good time!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:19 pm

There are quite a few. A good number of them register pre-event with the theme camp listing.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:59 am

Isotopia wrote:There are quite a few. A good number of them register pre-event with the theme camp listing.
Zulegoona wrote:but I do know there a at least a couple of 12 step groups that meet in Black Rock City over the week,
Really? Thats new to me, and pretty awsome. I remember a friend who worked a coffee shop and told me it was a popular place for AA'ers. Dont know if its the caffine, but wonder if they meet up at the Center Cafe?

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:14 am

spectabillis wrote:Really? Thats new to me, and pretty awsome. I remember a friend who worked a coffee shop and told me it was a popular place for AA'ers. Dont know if its the caffine, but wonder if they meet up at the Center Cafe?
Subsititue addiction

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Island of Misfit Toys

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:47 am

Welcome Michael, Spork, teal1960, Sunshine Elf, mahasamatman3, and any I missed. Last year was my first burn and I was concerened if I would "fit in"- felt like I had to bring or do something to earn it. So let me say this: If you sometimes feel like you don't belong... you belong! Welcome to the Island of Misfit Toys! Now please dress appropriately. :lol:
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:51 am

[quote="spectabillis"][quote="Isotopia"]There are quite a few. A good number of them register pre-event with the theme camp listing.[/quote]
[quote="Zulegoona"]but I do know there a at least a couple of 12 step groups that meet in Black Rock City over the week,[/quote]
Really? Thats new to me, and pretty awsome. I remember a friend who worked a coffee shop and told me it was a popular place for AA'ers. Dont know if its the caffine, but wonder if they meet up at the Center Cafe?[/quote]

Well they say all you need to start an AA meeting is a coffee pot and a resentment. Damn dust everywhere (my expected resentment)...see you in the Cafe!
I love monkeys and boys but especially monkey-boys

Return to “The Greeter's Station”