Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:29 pm

I think they are referring to the International Burner Hostel & The Black Rock Burner Hostel Theme Camp.
http://www.blackrockburnerhostel.com

Yes you can just pick an place that is not in a registered theme camp area and camp, or there are some loosely affiliated camps that don't do much if anything communally that are open to most if not all comers.

I camped alone last year ( my first year ) and was quickly absorbed into the camp that set up next to me. That seems to be relatively common. not being connected to a theme camp was a great way to go for the first time giving me the opportunity to get a feel for all of Black Rock City with out the commitment of group Camp obligations.

Janka

Post by Janka » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:03 pm

Yes, that's what they are referring to. As far as I understand it, you can basically do four things:

1) camp alone or with one or two tent-mates, in which case you camp wherever you please that is not registered for theme camps (see below), and stay that way
2) try to do 1), but get absorbed to a camp/neighbourhood setting up around your picked location :)
3) found or join a registered theme camp (getting a prime location and some - not strictly enforced - duties and requirements)
4) found or join a non-registered camp (in which case you just camp wherever, just like "solo" people)

All camps make there own rules and conventions about sharing food, work, etc. Some camps are not much more than a collection of solo campers, some have very elaborate communal kitchens etc. Whatever works for you is the thing.

Did I miss something? :)
"The great way is low and plain,
but people like shortcuts over the mountains."

http://www.iki.fi/janka/log/

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Re: hello my name is morgan

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:32 am

morgasma wrote:and i'm a BM newbie too (there's a lot of us virgins on here, eh?). this year i'm punctuating a month-long Yukon roots-search with the celebration on the playa. I'm leaving in 14 days and I'm so excited I can't hardly breathe.

Here's the thing: I'll be driving from the Artic Circle down thru Whitehorse, YT and prolly Edmonton and Calgary and Idaho (or Montana and Wyoming if I have time) at the end of August

***sssoooooo**** if you know anyone who needs a ride from any of these places to Black Rock City email me at [email protected]. We can share gas and camping/hostel fees. This is a ONE WAY ride only as I am a perma-resident of Oakland (five-n-dime represent) but be forewarned I've been known to meander and take one-lane dirt roads and I will have come out of the Bush so might smell funny. Oh and I might have a dog but prolly not. I drive a strawberry red '95 subaru wagon and shouldn't have too much shit. I'm female (I always forget that that's not apparent by my name) around a quarter-century old. I say "hella". I'm Canadian by nature and Californian by nurture and I LOVE meeting new, wonderful people who won't expect me to entertain them but will appreciate putting my ipod on shuffle and doing the cartrip boogie.

Any suggestions on where else I can post to find riders will also be warmly appreciated.

all my wet, sticky love,

mlf
Welcome, Morgasma. Nice way to join us by walking in the door with a giving hand. Glad you are giving a second thought toward bringing the pooch as dogs are turned away at the gate... thought you should know.

This will be my second year and again I am over extending myself on art and theme camp responsibilities but hope to set it all free after set-up day.

Have a great first burn and I'll see you on the Playa.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

morgasma

Post by morgasma » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:21 pm

Thanks Mister Jelly Fish! I did quite forget that Ruff wouldn't be welcome.

'Til then, then,
morganic
contributing to the ongoing orgiastic evolution of spirit

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

adding to Janka's comments

Post by swampdog » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:57 pm

Extending Janka's comments -

I don't think there's any limit to the size of an informal camp. Last year there were 7 of us (mostly newbies) in a loosely affiliated group, I don't think anyone on our block was an established named theme camp. There were camps from 2 people up to about 20. (We were kind of out in the further planets, the closer in you get the more planned the camps are) (we camped in URANUS which seemed funny at the time...)

Seriously, though, camp can be just a place to go when there's nothing else going on, or it can be the center of your burning man experience. You can go solo, or you can try to find a like-minded group on line. It's totally up to you (of course) and your initial plan/expectations may bear no resemblance to your actual experience.

oldskoolbetty

new here

Post by oldskoolbetty » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi to all, I am a virgin. I've known of Burning Man for years and I used to attend Moontribe parties in SoCal. Anyway, my name is Desiree and I am praying that everything goes right and I will make it to BM for the first time this year. I feel unprepared and overwhelmed. Ha ha. My boyfriend has been twice so hopefully he will have more knowledge than I can gain from all the web-info I find. :) We live in Lake Tahoe and well, yeah, we are mountain people. You realize that when it becomes a big deal to go anywhere "off the hill", let alone Burning man! :shock:

Stultiloquent

Post by Stultiloquent » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:34 pm

Hello Eh.

My name is Shane Fera. I am a writer, photographer, lover of life. I'm one of them fabled shy folk. Well, I say fabled because I have gotten the impression that there are few shy folk on the Playa. The thing of it is, this is my first year going to Burning Man. Or, rather, it will be my first year... so I can't be sure of any of my preconceptions. I live in Canada, and work for a living in a field that is not my passion.

I'm sure I could spout a bunch of lables that might fit me right now, but the truth of it is the best I'd be is an open minded mix of everything I've ever read, seen, heard, experienced, loved, hated, been passionate about or just plain wondered at.

I'm 25 years old. I just woke up this year.

I feel like I'm in a circle right now. Among some who have been awake all their lives, and others who are like me and are only just beginning to wake up. The fact is "My name is Shane and I just woke up this year."

This is a leap for me. And one that comes with the most fitting theme existence. The Psyche. Considering I spent the first three months of this year folding in on myself only to find that I'll never have all the answers, but that it doesn't mean I should stop asking the questions.

And that it also shouldn't mean that just because I didn't have the answers didn't mean I should fear what those answers might be. That one thing I could be sure of is that every morning that I open my eyes on this absolutely beautiful planet that I'd be grateful.

So, I'm greatful to meet all of you, I'm greatful that I'm going to Burning Man. And I'm also greatful that everything is exactly as it is at this very moment.

So, I'll see you under the starry sky and in the desert heat.

And let me just say this. With all my unkowing about exactly how this is going to be, I have a strong feeling like this is going to be like coming home. And a stronger feeling that I'll be hooked like a well tugged salmon on a line.

Peace,

Shane Fera

oldskoolbetty

hello shane!

Post by oldskoolbetty » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:31 am

great to see that you'll be making it out for the first time. it's an illuminous curiosity to wonder what it will be like, and to know that it will be better than you'd ever imagined. it's my first time too and it is incredibly exciting.

i love your honesty about life and how you feel and where you fit in.

gawul

Post by gawul » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:25 pm

this year is my 7th time at burningman. i have very few expectations, other than arriving and departing safely. i hope to not lose my film this year (again).

i will be camping with my best friend and my sister this year. the three of us have it all planned out, as usual, but it never turns out the way we plan

last year was the first time i had a camp that was not destroyed by the weather. i think i may have finally figured that part out

last year i bought a deep cycle battery, but never figured out how to use it. this year i'm getting a power inverter and we hope to string christmas lights in the canopy of our shade structure.

we are, as you probably are, counting the days
gael

Watchnc

introduction

Post by Watchnc » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:13 pm

Hello all! New here and just trying to figure things out. Never been to Burning Man...but one can wish. Looks very interesting. Have a friend that loves it.
Somebody said the it couldn't be done, But he with a chuckle replied that maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't say so until he had tried.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:27 am

Watchnc... Please allow me to be the first to welcome you here, my friend. So glad you could make it. Look around and wander through the various avenues. Oh, and stop by the bar and I’ll fix you something myself.

Stultiloquent, as the unofficial official greeter of shy peoples (and creatures) let me say welcome, welcome, welcome. I am also very shy in any environment I’m not comfortable. But here... I’m pretty comforatable and so, like to extend a paw to those who might need it.

Home? yes... welcome home to you both.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

akatom

Post by akatom » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:39 pm

Hi. I am Tom. A month ago I got a strange text message on my phone, "are you interested in going to BUrning man?". Now I've got plane tickets, an SUV rental, several nights in the non-burning-man Reno hostel on either end of the week, and a terrible fear that the next thirty days will be insane while I rush to find silver non-loudly-flapping tarps, bulk glow products for new-moon gifting, bicycles, lip-balm, goggles, and other stuff that I don't know I need yet.

Etoile

Hello, y'all

Post by Etoile » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:20 am

Etoile is young and burnerly, on a journey of discovery that's taken her to a lot of interesting places, so she thought she'd get online and find some other beautiful shiny people to share her newfound bizarreness.

Etoile is Jewish, in a way that permits her to speak to you goyim and only look down on you a little. Just a teensy bit. Etoile is from an area somewhat outside of Austin Texas originally.

Etoile is an artiste and part time job collecting desperado who is leaving the city that has become the love of her life (Baltimore) and moving to Boston approximately 3 days after she gets back from Black Rock City and sleeping on the floor of the smallest room in an apartment with one bath and 5 strangers, 3 of whom do not have the best English, but that's okay because Etoile speaks French too.

Etoile would like to say hello to everyone and send them lots of love because once she gets on the playa she will become a screachy naked mess of dust and and screaming and screachy nakedness and she won't have time for any introductions until she has fed the predator that lives inside her with the delicious viscera of unsuspecting looky-loos.
La ou il y a la haine,
que je mette l'amour.
La ou il y a l'offense,
que je metter le pardon.
La ou il y a la discorde,
que je mette l'union.
La ou il y a le doute,
que je mette la foi.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:48 am

akatom wrote: several nights in the non-burning-man Reno hostel on either end of the week, .
Okay, Tom, welcome and I'm sure you'll have an intence month--and week. Just rest assured that if you don't treat Fred Hageymon right the fish of the acopolypse will hunt you down and make you suffer.

Have fun at your first burn.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

akatom

Post by akatom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay, Tom, welcome and I'm sure you'll have an intence month--and week. Just rest assured that if you don't treat Fred Hageymon right the fish of the acopolypse will hunt you down and make you suffer.
I'm going to be at the wildflower village, not the black rock hostel, but I'll still be on good behavior; I help out at a local hostel at home. Guests can be big not-in-the-good-way pains in everybody's butts when they are careless or demanding.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:51 pm

Okay, so long as you understand that. Hageymon's an event treasure and sometimes he don't get treated right.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

akatom

Post by akatom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay, so long as you understand that. Hageymon's an event treasure and sometimes he don't get treated right.
You come and get me if'n that happens and we deliver the appropriate suffering. You bring the honey, I'll bring the fire-ants with lasers attached to their thoraxes.

SwankSpike

Hullo, hullo

Post by SwankSpike » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:45 pm

I'm Spike, and I haven't been to BM in a few years, but I'm ready to go back!

I'm currently living in Dallas, and am of the transhumanist persuasion. I'm a doctoral student in neurophysiology at UT-Dallas.

Here's my most recent photo (I'm the chick):

nacard01

Nebraska Burners

Post by nacard01 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:16 am

My boyfriend Peter, myself (Nate) and our friend Des will be down for Burning Man this year. We are very excited. We went to our local burn in Missouri a couple of months ago and had a really great time. Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people and having a really great time.

Nate

Squeaks

Post by Squeaks » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:37 am

Hey! My name is Squeaks! My first burn was 2003. I am from the San Francisco East Bay. Unfortunately, this year I am not going to be able to come home. I had to make a choice between a wedding and Burning Man and as hard as it was and as much as it hurt, I had to choose the wedding. I will be there next year though.
--------------------------
Squeaks

[/img]

MrGAJ5001

Post by MrGAJ5001 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:52 pm

My name is George. My Screen Name is MrGAJ5001. My nick-name (for the sake of things like Burning Man, and other events I attend) is Thai'Po Zjii (pronounced Tie-Po Shj-ee). My galaxy is Kauri (for those who understand).

I'm from Reno, Nevada, and despite the onslaught of Mutant Vehicles this city has seen for the last decade, dusty and stacked to the top, I have never attended Burning Man. So...I figured I'd better go, this year (2005).

I'm a musician (despite my Engineering carrer path), and will be found wherever they're pouring Guinness.

I'm REALLY hoping to immerse in this event. I'm looking for people who want to get loose and DANCE to some good tunes, and have a good drink. So my question is: Where can I find those people? Are YOU one of those people?
"No sense in mentioning these bats", I thought..."The poor bastard would see them soon enough."

aeQea

virgin burner

Post by aeQea » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi this is aeQea in Minnesota. This is going to be the first time for my wife and I. Does it hurt. Will we get pregnant?

I am a video artist and I am looking for a techno dance club camp looking for a VJ. I am going to browse the board some but if anyone could direct me to someone/where specific, that would be ultra.

thanks.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:14 pm

Hello All,

I'm Chang. This year will be my first Burning Man. I've been meaning to attend for years. Even going so far as to buy a ticket for BM 2000 and attending decompression parties with Burning Man New York Mailing list. Unfortunately even year BM I've been unable to attend due to either school, work, or other.

However! This year i've made a commitment to myself and others that i would attend Burning Man in 2005. I've finished college in May, and i recently quit my job in New York City.

I contacted some of the Burning Man volunteer co-ordinators and have agreed to help with setup this for Burning Man. Unfortunately i live and worked, on the East Coast in Greater New York Area. I was unable to secure a motor vehicle for a Burning Man. So i'll be flying into San Francisco on the 11th of August. When i asked the co-ordinators how i might be able to secure a ride to the playa for presetup. I was told to post here in the BBS. So here i am.

Is anyone else on the board going to Black Rock between the 11th-29th? I'm looking for a ride share for myself and one other companion who will also be volunteering for BM setup.

Thanks,

-Chang

tonytohono

Hello

Post by tonytohono » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:42 pm

I don't think I have ever posted on this thread. Guess what? Now I have.

My name is Tony and I will be camping with the Beacon this year at 9:00 and Amnesia. Oh, and I was going to say something else too, but I forgot.

Anthony Bondi

Post-survival-guide tip

Post by Anthony Bondi » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:12 pm

You've read your survival guide and your vehicle is almost stacked to the gills. Right up there where those gills are is where to stash your firewood. Your heart and body and soul will certainly be welcomed to BRC but a truly fine way to introduce yourself to BRC is to offer firewood to the pyre of your choice. With the exception of propane cannons and cigarette lighters; every flame you will see in BRC is the product of all of us transporting firewood there.

mmmagenta

Greetings

Post by mmmagenta » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:01 am

Hey there....my name's Michelle and I am also a first time burner. I'm really looking forward to the event and to an awesome new experience. I had heard about Burning Man for years, but when I finally learned about what it was, I was and have remained extremely excited. It sounds like a community i've dreamed of being a part of.

I would love to meet some seasoned burners who I can talk to, ask questions, and get to know in general. If you have the time and interest, please feel free to message me on yahoo or via a PM here.

I will be travelling out to BRC with a friend of mine from the East Bay, and would love any advice. We are currently not connected to any camps, but are open to joining one. So far, we've been going through family, friends, craigslist, and other resources to gather different things we need and other things we'd like to have to make our experience comfortable, fun and memorable.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from some of you, and seeing the rest of you there!

Paz y Amor,
Michelle

magikfrogg

Post by magikfrogg » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:00 pm

Bryan. second time. ready for adventure. bringing up a new burner this year. cant wait.

Ovid

Neubie

Post by Ovid » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:51 pm

My Name is Dave. I live in Western Massachusetts and New York City. (sometimes London too). I'll be a first timer this year. I'm looking for a camp or a group to go with. I will play hard, work nice, be kind and come up with crazy ideas. I'm also thinking about driving out from New York/Massachusetts.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:59 pm

Gadzooks!!! New faces!!! Hello to all...

Etoile... Spike...nacard01... Squeaks... George...aeQea in Minnesota, there’s a fair number of people from your area hanging around here... Chang... ummmmmmmmagenta... and magikfrogg

Did I miss anyone?

And Ovid Dave!!! Long drive for you my friend. Even longer than me. Well worth it.

Plenty of people here to help you all out if you need it. Do your homework and stop by The Bar thread for a beer every now and then. Lots to do and less than a month to do it!!

Welcome and welcome back!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Nayrika

I am in need of a TICKET, please assist...

Post by Nayrika » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:27 am

[list]Dear Lovers and Friends,

Hello, my name is Nayrika. I bought a ticket for Burning Man last year, however, I got hyves and was too ill to atend. I would like to try it again this year however the orice is just too high. I am requesting a generous soul to give me a reduced ticket or a free one and make my trip.

Love is Beyond,

Nayrika
213-268-2638
and/or
[email protected][/list]

Return to “The Greeter's Station”