Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
dancemaker30

Post by dancemaker30 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:01 pm

Hello i will be attending burning man for the first time this year. I am thrilled to be a rookie. I have no idea what to expect. I am a choreogrpaher and my dance company and I will be attending together, my only hope is to make a dance that is reflective of my responses to the experiences
I will be attending Burningman for the first time this year. I 've already bought my ticket and can't wait. I would love to hear anything anyone wants to tell me about it

timber mischief

Post by timber mischief » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:41 pm

" my only hope is to make a dance that is reflective of my responses to the experiences"
Get ready, your in for a wild ride of sensory overload. Pictures and stories can't explain it. Once your feet hit the playa you'll understand. Let me know where you will be performing I'd love to see your troupe perform. :)
Imagine of you will ............ round squares..... Not spherical cubes.............But round squares.

Judders

Post by Judders » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:27 am

Hello!

Whilst working at Glastonbury festival in the UK last year some guy gave me a book of Burning Man matches and told me that I have to go.

I'll be in Vegas right before BM starts, and I have to figure out how to get there with everything I need on my back. I don't have a driving lisence.

Advice?
"And I stand,
On the mountains of Mars,
Sparking up,
Man, I'm a god."
-The 'Dorf

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:36 am

Welcome new folks.

Judders, check the ride share section of the board closer to the event. You should be able to hook up with someone coming from Vegas.
It's going to be alright.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:35 pm

Welcome everybody!!!

Hey dancemaker,

You should get in touch with BlueNightOwl, Zulegoona, or Karine. They’re all on this board from time to time and are from your neck of the woods. A quick search should turn up a post by any of them (or better yet, check into The Bar thread every now and then and find them). You can then click the little “PM” button underneath any of their posts and send them a Private Message. They could hook you up with the rather sizable burner contingent in the Twin Cities area.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

searock420

Post by searock420 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:37 am

Hi Everyone
I'm Bill
this is gonna be my first BM and it's hard to wait
I've heard from lots of friends that it can be the best time of your life,I can only expect to ? who knows?
Can't wait to meet some of the people who come here
Never know
We might end up being everything we expect

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:12 am

Welcome Home, Bill...

Your friends are correct, it may well be the best time you’ve had yet. Or it could be a long, miserable week. The less preconceived notions you have the better off you’ll be. For me, I can be walking along and feeling that I can’t stand the place and then turn the corner and be brought to tears by something and never ever want to leave.

It’s as if you took the whole of life and poured it into a huge pot, then boiled it down to it’s essence. That little bit of super concentrated stuff left at the bottom is what the event for me.

Read everything you can find on this site starting with the survival guide. Hang out... use the regionals section to find people in your area if you wish.

See you around!!

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Hello Bill/searock420- Yeah, you're in for a week of (FILL IN THE MEANING OF WHAT BLISS MEANS TO YOU HERE). It's hard to explain the event to someone who's never went. Plus, when I talk to people in town and they are curious about going, it's hard for me to restrain the excitement in my voice, and I have to remember to talk like a normal human being! Good to hear you're coming to the desert. Yeah, like what LeChat metioned, reading the survival guide and pretty much any other info you can get your hands on is a good thinking. See ya in 06'!
☕ COFFEE CAMP:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.:🔥)'(🔥:.

bambi

hi

Post by bambi » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:10 am

hey everyone, bambi here 25yo girlwoman living in ireland and hoping to get back to bm this year. had a great time there in 2000, best week of my life and trying to raise the funds to make it over again this year..keep you fingers crossed for me :)
it's bad enough being a donkey without being a fool of a donkey
---Tommy Tiernan

Steamboat Ed

Post by Steamboat Ed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:56 pm

Howdy y'all, Steamboat Ed here. Still trying to get the hang of this forum, but here I is. Working on the shortest pirate ship art car on the playa at the moment; I call it Short John Silver because it's only 7ft long..
Deets on construction of innards and outards here: http://www.nmpproducts.com/artcar.htm
Would love to get some help on doing the pyrotechnic aspects of the contraption.. :?
"Steamboat Ed" Haas
Living on the fringes of bell curves...
www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:00 pm

Damn....I went out there to your site on a whim, not sure what to expect. What I found looks like an interesting idea and on top of that your mention of "woven wire" solves a pain in the rear problem I've had with another project. That is precisely what I needed. Thanks for posting the links!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Steamboat Ed

Woven wire

Post by Steamboat Ed » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:11 pm

--Update: I've since gotten rid of the stuff as it was a PITA to work with. I've replaced it with plastic "hardware cloth", which is held onto the metal frames with RTV. Doesn't hold it very well and I'll have to reapply the stuff B4 I head back to the Playa, but it's a *lot* easier to work with than the cloth stuff..
"Steamboat Ed" Haas
Living on the fringes of bell curves...
www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:14 pm

I need it for something off playa that's in a very controlled environment so it should be ideal. But I'll remember what you wrote and avoid it for on-playa use. By the way welcome to the eplaya. Later after you've looked around check out the Open Discussion thread and find "The Bar". It's a pretty interesting thread and the most used one on the board. A very colorful place....if I do say so.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

rob easy

why not

Post by rob easy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:54 pm

Hi,

My names Rob. I'm another Aussie and I've never been to Burning Man either but a number of my friends have. I've been meaning to go for years but something always came up. So this year I've got a ticket and started the planning.

I've told a number of people I'm going and they've asked "What is Burning Man?". The only answer I've been able to come up with is that it's a good question. I guess I'll see when I get there.

Rob

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:57 pm

Rob
You will see when you get there, but after a week you still won’t be able to explain it to people.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:03 pm

I got asked that very question tonight. And after 4 years of going I didn't have a clear cut answer for her either.
K-IV
~~~~

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Welcome, Rob!!

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:51 pm

Rob,
You've answered half the question already by getting the ticket! The actual trip and week out there is a make your own adventure! Go to the "The Bar" thread (in the Open Discussion Topic) here on eplaya, and you should be able to get (if not informative) atleast entertaining answers! Hope to see you out there!
☕ COFFEE CAMP:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.:🔥)'(🔥:.

rob easy

Post by rob easy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:04 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
from all I've heard BM's going to be an adventure!

moonbelly

moonbelly here

Post by moonbelly » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:41 pm

This year of hope and fear for the future will be my first time at burning man. im excited and a little intimidated. this year will be my reinventing.
[i]a little bit about me[/i]: I lose my identifacation all the time. drivers liscences, id cards, ss card, planners...anything that identifies me according to governmant standards. this truely represents my attitude of who i am right now. i can't define myself, really. when i think i know who i am...i change. i am a jack of all trades and master of none. so this year burning man will help me focuse on what makes me... me. and to do it with great artistic expression! colors! Lights! and naked body parts everywhere. i want to identify with the elementals that will not change for me as the future does. What will be the same with me over the years to define my character?
we the people shall see:)
sal

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:47 am

Welcome Home, sal...

Glad you found your way. Take your time and poke around this place. Good folks hang out here. Do your research and don’t be afraid to ask questions if there’s something you can’t find an answer to.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:51 am

I really should spend more time on greeter duty.

Hi all.
It's going to be alright.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:59 am

searock420 wrote:Hi Everyone
I'm Bill
this is gonna be my first BM and it's hard to wait
I've heard from lots of friends that it can be the best time of your life,I can only expect to ? who knows?
Can't wait to meet some of the people who come here
Never know
We might end up being everything we expect
Welcome Home Bill.

This year will be my third burn. My advice to you would be to leave your expectations at the gate. Just bring what you need to survive, and plan on being there.
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

Curmudgeon

Signing in

Post by Curmudgeon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Just signed up as "Curmudgeon". Studying engineering, been to Burning Man once, felt I'd been more a spectator than a participant, aim to change that in the future.

Studying to be an engineer, and have already dealt with the kind of non-techie who expects politics to trump physical reality, and doesn't understand why those nerdy science types won't just go along to get along when, say, he decides that he wants to replace the etch in their tank with something more environmentally friendly, like this lovely organic blueberry smoothie mix his encounter group leader just whipped up. "It's tart, so it must be acidic, right?" he asks hopefully, about three seconds before somebody smacks him across the head, in one sense or another.

Some of us will waste all day trying to reason with the man, until some nasty curmudgeon comes along and takes him down, even if some people mistakenly think of that as meanness, hence my name.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:59 pm

Hurrumph...

(Eyes curmudgeon warily)

You’ll do just fine... there’s more here like you.
Studying to be an engineer
(putting on his best grumpy voice) And you stated that twice, by the way...

Welcome!!!

moonbelly

Post by moonbelly » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:55 pm

I like the quote here:

[i]We might end up being everything we expect[/i][/quote]

how appropriate. lets act like gently giants building a great city within ourselves.
moon

Sorejack

Post by Sorejack » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:13 am

my friend john sent me this way, and my first and only serious question is: does the dust get you here too :P names jack and a tripper from way back, one time was all it took, and from then hooked, but I know the only home I ever made, is still on the playa to this day, poet surely the cake had consumed, a chrysalis for a gypsy moon, and gypsy I have become, and moving again, olympia bound for love and friends, so if your there, holler my way. this looks to be a fun place to play.
what chances we take
with hearts and olive branches
to us all partake
the mystery of love

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:06 am

Play? Play! Yes, I’d say.
So glad you stopped in here today.

A leaf adrift, blown to this place
By winds that help us find our way...

Welcome Home
does the dust get you here too
Within a few weeks of registering your account, you should be receiving a package containing an item marked “Orifice, Dust Despensing”. Unpack and mount it to your monitor. It will work seamlessly and automatically with your computer and at random intervals during your eplaya expierience, will blast you with copious amounts of gypsum dust at speeds of up to 70 mph. Just for that extra little touch. Please wear goggles.

Sorejack

Post by Sorejack » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:54 am

thanks graciously for the warm reception,
I hope to keep the mud on here
I am traveling anew to a new place
and this welcome is all I need to carry me through to olympia
that and the train
to love again
to mysteries and the rain
but a desert heart beats fierce
a gypsum gypsy at his worst
funny enough I am getting my goggles back today,
though will probably get a new pair if this poor vegabond can make it
I almost want to curse john but I love him
he reminded me what I had left, simply by mentioning the word
and sent me packing here for a network of souls
I had not forgotten
but it is like dreams that you remember only when your back to sleep again, no doubt I will be yearning for the heat as well as the cold as well as the love I am chasing so bold
Ah, john if you read this, thanks much ass :P
what chances we take
with hearts and olive branches
to us all partake
the mystery of love

nicdicdawg

Can any body help me?

Post by nicdicdawg » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:05 pm

Hello fellow burners. I have become a stranded camper. I want to become more involved in a theme camp but do not know where to turn to?
The folks I have gone with for the last couple of years have abandoned our camp. I have gone it alone for the last three years, but I wish to become involved with a group. Does any body have room for me? I am fully self contained camper and I am looking for new friends. I live in a small river town in California between San Francisco and Sacremento. I am a steam fitter by day, and a pyromaniac by night. My trade allows me to work with fire and get paid for it! I look forward to the festival and with only six and a half months to go, I am becoming concernd with my prospects of joining up with a group of campers. I enjoy the rhythms of Mutator, the taste of Rum and truly believe that it is not art until it's on fire. I am looking for new friends to enjoy the festival with......Nickdicdawg pilot of the "Plane Insane".

Return to “The Greeter's Station”