Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:38 am

Hello and Welcome Home new faces!!

Thanks for the music link Eben… I’m going to check it out later tonight.

Grumble… You may already be aware of it, since you know about Nowhere, but here’s a link to the euroburner’s website and one to their playadust announce list. I know a few folks in Deutschland who come every year.

nowheregirl and glttrgrl…

You’d be surprised how what is planned as a solitary trip can turn into a shared adventure simply by hanging around in eplaya and tribe and finding others who are going to the event as well. Sometimes they are practically right in your backyard. That’s pretty much how it worked out for me. Assuming you vibe well with someone, it can turn a long drive into a great part of the entire journey. I enjoy the drive out just as much as the event. Plus it always helps to share the costs of transportation to make it more affordable for everyone.

And on the note of yahoos, you'll find that the really great people far outnumber them. Just use your head and don't expect every single person to be looking out for your best interests. Pinemom's advice of a closed lid cup is very sound and this type of approach could be applied to other areas of life in Black Rock City. Its important to be pragmatic... but it's just as important to be open to really beautiful moments that might pass you by if you are too closed off.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks, le chat....I appreciate any and all informative suggestions/advice.

I've been looking at the camp discussion boards and it seems fairly simple to get in touch with someone, get to know them, and then hang out at BM.

Hmmm, maybe I'll meet someone on this thread..... :D
Tish
:)

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.--Dubuffet***

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:16 pm

This thread over here is also a decent hangout and place to get to know each other.

It's the second version of the origonal and very popular Bar Thread (which has some technical difficulties lately) that spawned the Eplaya Bar Camp last year. Good folks hanging around in there. Drop in and say hello!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:51 am

And let's not forget the Sixth Annual Eplaya/3playa Meet & Greet at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, Thursday afternoon at 6 p.m. There have been several love connections made at that event (2003 was a particularly amorous year!) and countless times that "...falling in lust..." was the norm. So if you really want to get the supreme treatment and see your fellow burners at their finest, this is the event you should not miss. I can't be sure, but last year I think it was only one of very few occasions that the Eplaya Bar shut down because all of their clientele were at the M&G! And you should be too!

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:04 am

And again, WE WILL SHUT DOWN for this Fabu' event! To be followed by an equally AWESOME event!
Pinemom and Titwi's Wedding!!!!!!!!
Thursday night will never be the same, well it never was, thanks to the wonderful and gracious hosts of Eplaya Meet N greet/ Barbie death camp and wine bistro!!!!!!!!
A PYRO-Techinical Wedding on the Playa!
hmm.... One would say thats something you dont see everyday...but this IS Burningman!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Don't be afraid to come out by yourself.
Just say hello to people.
Everyone is there to have fun.
It's not hard to find people you get along with.
I think I had to walk about twenty feet to find people to camp with the first year.
Some camps have more amenities and different agendas is all.

It's not so bad to be stuck alone with 40000 people to play with.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

heazgoody

Post by heazgoody » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:41 pm

My name is Heather and my husband and I are thinking about attending burning man this year. Weʻre both really into outdoor activities - can anyone tell me whatʻs available in the area. Are there any hiking trails or rock climbing - what equipment is good to bring? Thanks

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:00 pm

Burningman is not what I would consider "outdoorsey". It's outdoors sort of... Once you're in, you'll probably want to stay in. I believe there is a small fee for taking your vehicle out if you wish to return. The playa, where it is held, is completely flat. You can hike around, but it's more like a crazy city walk than a nature walk.

If you're talking about before or after the event, there is some climbing around and some hot springs, but if you're thinking burningman is like a nature hike... you're in for a surprise.

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:24 am

MikeVDS wrote: but if you're thinking burningman is like a nature hike... you're in for a surprise.
What do you mean?.... at times it is quite natural....hehe... 8)
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:35 am

heazgoody wrote:My name is Heather and my husband and I are thinking about attending burning man this year. Weʻre both really into outdoor activities - can anyone tell me whatʻs available in the area. Are there any hiking trails or rock climbing - what equipment is good to bring? Thanks
This outdoor event, is more like circus, with a BUNCH of tents instead of 3!
Walking shoes...yes, Hydra pack...yes, natural and quiet...HELL NO!

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:50 am

SO True Booby Bar Crew,.. but the region must have many natural wonders and experiences to be had ,... besides your selves,..... Any great stuff they could do on the way to or on the way home from the event?

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:05 am

The lake is beautiful.
You can camp there.
There are some historical trails in the area.
A few springs.
Some are hot and unpredictable.

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

wavephaser

Post by wavephaser » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 am

I guess its time to stop lurking and say hello. :oops:
This will be our first BM event and we are really looking forward to it. Its going to be extra special since I will also being turning 29 on Aug 30th.Looks like we'll be with a theme camp and it looks like it going to be a blast. It'll be a long drive though and that is part of the excitment, drving from South Carolina all the way. We ( my husband and I) have done our homework, so we are planning all the H2O needs and will be wary of crankiness etc...Oddly enough things do seem to be lining up for the trip, extra camera bags and tripods have shown up suddenly...thw wind seems to be pushings us that way. I think I'll take that as a good omen. :mrgreen:
Proud Zombie Survivors. Wavephaser is the online identity of two people.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:52 am

Welcome Home WavePhaser!

what theme camp are you with this year?

wavephaser

Post by wavephaser » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:07 am

Hi pinemom! We'll be with Big Puffy Yellow, I do believe. We kinda snowballed into all of this because of a friend of ours..lo and behold here we are.

stormfeather

Hi darlings

Post by stormfeather » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:15 pm

Stormfeather here from Portland, Oregon.

See some familiar names. Hubby and I are thinking about doing 2007.
Have been encouraged by the community we've met here in Portland.

Buckets of love to you all.

SpacedMonkey

Post by SpacedMonkey » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:13 pm

Hi burners,

I'm 28, British and as definitions go, I suppose I'm a peculiar blend of goth, hippy and geek. I'm intrigued by BM, but I'm not sure about the logistics of coming over from the UK. I'd like to help rather than merely observe, but obviously can't bring much. If I go I'd most likely be going solo as friends I've asked just don't seem to get it.

So how does one do long distance Burning Man?

Phil

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 pm

Hello SpacedMonkey, there are a number of different ways people do it, I don’t imagine any of them are cheep but some might make more sense for you . It would be a good idea to check out your regional contacts to see if there is some best way people from the UK have found works for them.
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_uk.html

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:43 pm

Hey wavephaser

Welcome Home!!

Do you know that there is a regional burn very close to you? I went last year and had a blast.

http://www.transformus.com/

heazgoody,

The area where Burningman is held is a really wonderful part of the world. but the event is sort of a destination unto itself. it's in the middle of miles and mile of open, dry lake bed and once you're there, you won't want to leave. There's too much to expierience.

The hot springs right around the area of The Burn are closed during the event, but there is some serious natural beauty all around the Black Rock Range. But if you have time before or after, you could check out some interesting vistas.

Try here for starters:

http://www.nv.blm.gov/Winnemucca/blackr ... R_home.htm

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:12 am

Hello all. Though I suppose I've already technically introduced myself in the thread I started, I don't see why I can't re-introduce myself here as well!
This will be my first time and I'm VERY excited. Perhaps a bit too much so, I don't want my expectations to be..well...anything.
I am very green, in terms of camping and life in general (that is normal for a nineteen year old, no?), but always willing to learn and contribute. I do have a hard time dealing with gigantic assholes or just mean people in general, sometimes I have to tell myself to chillax and not let the little things get to me.
I have a vague idea about "playa names" (not sure what else to call them). How does one obtain said name? I'd imagine some are self-appointed while others are bestowed by necessity. When I volunteered at the little 'uns science camp a few years ago, we all had to choose nature names. Mine ended up being Rainbow Avocado. I'm actually not quite sure how we got there, but I like it.

Anyway, as you will quickly find out, I tend to ramble about almost nothing for very long periods of time. It's quite an amazing feat really. I also say "anyway" a lot. In real life too.

Anyway. . .

wavephaser

Post by wavephaser » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:42 am

LeChatNoir,

Thanks for the info! We try and get around to our local(ish) Meet and Greets, but we did miss out on going to Transformus and Element last year. If we are fortunate enough we might be able to make it to the Florida burn :)
Have a good one,
wavephaser(1of2)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:03 am

Blackbird wrote:
I have a vague idea about "playa names" (not sure what else to call them). How does one obtain said name? I'd imagine some are self-appointed while others are bestowed by necessity. When I volunteered at the little 'uns science camp a few years ago, we all had to choose nature names. Mine ended up being Rainbow Avocado. I'm actually not quite sure how we got there, but I like it.

Anyway, as you will quickly find out, I tend to ramble about almost nothing for very long periods of time. It's quite an amazing feat really. I also say "anyway" a lot. In real life too.

Anyway. . .
Playa names, hah! Indeed, they just happen most of the time. I know people who made up cool burning names with stuff like "flame" and "fire" in them, but no, they end up with different monikers. Like BoyToy. Or Sqeezit. Just let it happen!

Welcome Home.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:43 am

"BoyToy" is taken?!! DARN! :P

B. (Practicing the Avoidance Theory of job hunter, apparently)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

dullac

New to Burning Man

Post by dullac » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:52 am

Hi there,

Have spent ages absorbed in the Burning Man website. Never been myself (am UK based...so it's a fair distance away) but am fascinated.

Would be great to hear any first hand experiences of the festival...from anyone willig to share!

:wink:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:28 am

BAS wrote:"BoyToy" is taken?!! DARN! :P

B. (Practicing the Avoidance Theory of job hunter, apparently)
Yep, that would be our own Ranger BoyToy. But he joined the Navy, so I don't think he'll make it out this year. you never know though.

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:30 am

The name that has stuck with me since I was 21 is probably the one I will take with me....GG (or GlitterGirl). Yes, it's rather self-explanitory. My love of glittery things just won't go away. It's also going to be a little challenge for me on the Playa. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "large" glitter considered MOOP? I think I'll have to compromise with glitter "dust" or something. Any suggestions? I'm sure there are a handful of substitutes. Who knows, maybe I'll be christened with a new name....
Tish

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.--Dubuffet***

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:00 pm

glttrgrl wrote: I think I'll have to compromise with glitter "dust" or something. Any suggestions? I'm sure there are a handful of substitutes. Who knows, maybe I'll be christened with a new name....
Welcome home Glitter!
Just remember, whatever you come up with, if you bring it in, YOU gotta take it out.... Leave NO trace..... So the less moopy the idea the better.
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Yeah I know....glitter is rather "moopy". I'm thinking about something that won't fall off very easily.....maybe sticker-like....so I can just peel it off and put it away AND take it with me. Hmmmm.....
Tish

stormfeather

Post by stormfeather » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:22 pm

just wear glittery fabric and skip the fairy dust tossing.
Lots of cool, pretty and shiny clothes to be found at thrift shops!

Make yourself a glitter fabric wand if you must bestow your glitteryness on others..And it is always best to ask first if they'd enjoy the honor!

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:28 am

Dullac, check out Tales of the Playa.
If you want to know what the feel is out there,
read the Man Burns Tonight, fiction.

The Girl Who Tried to Catch the Man is here.

http://burningnovel.blogspot.com/

This Is Burning Man is a history.
There are a few stories posted here and there on eplaya.

Book thread- http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=11375

Return to “The Greeter's Station”