Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Wrong Tom

Post by Wrong Tom » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:49 am

Dear LeChatNoir,

I don't know for sure why my name is Wrong Tom. I believe it is a nickname given to me by my close friends because of my tendency to take jokes a little too far. Or I might have picked it up over the summer of 2002 when my favorite insult was "wrongcock". Either way, I prefer to think that now it just serves to inform people of my humble nature and self-deprecating humour.
Incidently my childhood was splendid. Especially when Daddy let me touch his 'special place'.

Tom
"The only true knowledge is in knowing that you know Norfolk."

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:27 am

Emrys wrote:Hi all!
My name's Stephan, and it will be my first time at BM this year. It's a great experienced, just to learn about this kinda city and people growing in the middle of nowhere just for one week. Sounds crazy enough to me!

Well I'm from France and I'll try to manage everything prepared for this BM season.

Cheers
Bon Jour, Emrys!!

(you have now witnessed almost all the French I can speak)

Check out this link right hereto find lots of helpful stuff for finding other Euroburners and events. There's a link to the "playadust" mailing list, the website, and the regional contact.

Lots of people come over from Europe and they could help you find out the best way to do it!!

Welcome home!

...Incidently my childhood was splendid. Especially when Daddy let me touch his 'special place'.

Tom
Ah, I see... as in "Oh Tom, that is so, very very wrong". I think you'll find this place to be quite fitting, indeed.

Hello notonmysofa!!

Welcome to eplaya, and thanks for all your years of coming to the event. Its good to see new faces here, but its also good to see the expierienced ones too. We need that, you know.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:01 am

LeChatNoir wrote: Bon Jour, Emrys!!

(you have now witnessed almost all the French I can speak)

Check out this link right hereto find lots of helpful stuff for finding other Euroburners and events. There's a link to the "playadust" mailing list, the website, and the regional contact.

Lots of people come over from Europe and they could help you find out the best way to do it!!

Welcome home!
Bonjour LeChatNoir,

Nice accent indeed ;)
Thanks for the link and help.

I just called a friend of mine who told me that there's a participation fee of about 200$ to get in Black Rock City? Is it true or hoax? I can't find any information on that point on the website.
Also what is the location of BRC?

Cheers

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:39 am

$200 to get into Black Rock City is indeed a hoax. These days, it's closer to $280.

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:45 am

Errrk :(

Begins to be a bit harsh

The Hosh

Post by The Hosh » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:00 am

You can parachute in for a lot less.
2007 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoshq/collections/72157601792465754/
2006 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoshq/collections/72157601425440501/

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:11 am

Emrys wrote:
I just called a friend of mine who told me that there's a participation fee of about 200$ to get in Black Rock City? Is it true or hoax? I can't find any information on that point on the website.
Also what is the location of BRC?

Cheers
At the gate they'll call them "tickets", but I like the sound of "Participation Fee", myself.

Tickets go on sale early in the year and start out around $200 dollars (US). but then go up in price as the year goes on and eich levels sells out, to around $300 at the gate, I think.

But with current exchange rates for the Euro, you're coming out with a better deal than those of us on this side of the pond. Check this link out for ticket info:

http://tickets.burningman.com/

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:17 am

Emrys wrote: Also what is the location of BRC?

Cheers
If you have Google Earth, you can open it up and paste in this location:

40.76684, -119.22770

If not, then on a map, it is in a place called The Black Rock Desert, in the northwest corner of the state of Nevada, western US.

Emrys

Post by Emrys » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:34 am

Well, thanks that's ok I finally found it :)

I'm gonna check on my bank account now :D
I would love to be part of this, but plane+hiring car+participation fee... lead me far over what I expected :(

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 am

Well, then, time to start saving for 2008, yes?

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:43 am

Emrys wrote:Well, thanks that's ok I finally found it :)

I'm gonna check on my bank account now :D
I would love to be part of this, but plane+hiring car+participation fee... lead me far over what I expected :(
But don't give up yet...

Get on the playadust emailing list (on the link from earlier) and put the word out. Pooling resources is how many people do it when coming from abroad. There may well be someone else wishing they could find someone to split that car rental with.

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:58 am

Oi! I'm C, and this is my introduction.

I'm from 'the suck' (Ohio) and know some of the burners around the Detroit metro area. I'm join' the ePlaya BBS now because my close friend informed me a few hours ago that it did indeed exist.

I'll be going to BM this year. Assuming my ticket comes in the mail.

Yep... thats it...
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:25 am

Doggy here... Just want to thank you all for making me feel at home here on the board! I have really enjoyed the interactions and info that comes flying by on here! Wish I had paid attention and found it sooner! Thanks again!!!

*WOof!* :-P
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:48 am

Oi C!!

Welcome to eplaya. The ticket will get there and youwill get to the desert. Takes a lot of effort to escape the gravity of the various forms of "The Suck" that we each face, but you can do it.
Doggy here... Just want to thank you all for making me feel at home here on the board! I have really enjoyed the interactions and info that comes flying by on here! Wish I had paid attention and found it sooner! Thanks again!!!
And I, for one, am happy to have you around here BlueDoggy!! I'm sure many more feel the same.

TripKnight

TripKnight - signing in

Post by TripKnight » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:04 pm

We started this account, so we can Stay in closer contact with our Black Rock Family whom we love so much. Collectively TripKnight has Been to Burning Man many years. However, every year we bring a fair amount on new people. We are the crew behind the upcoming FreeStyle Palace. Look us up if you would like to get involved in the project. Also, If you are going to the Participation weekend, our crew will be performing Saturday at the Burning Man office parking lot from 1pm to 6

The TripKnight Party Crew. A.K.A. THE Sound & Art Collective.

IslandTartan

Saying Hello

Post by IslandTartan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:19 pm

Anthony here, previous burn in 2003 and I haven't been the same since. Such a good thing that is! However my absence from home *brc* has left me feeling lost and out of grace. Looking forward to my chance to return home again this year............love and light
Do your duty, leave the rest to the gods.......

C187
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Welding & Repair / Black Hole

Post by C187 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:45 am

[quote="LeChatNoir"]Oi C!!

Welcome to eplaya. The ticket will get there and youwill get to the desert. Takes a lot of effort to escape the gravity of the various forms of "The Suck" that we each face, but you can do it...[/quote]

Thanks. eh.. J/W but does any one know what the current wait time is for receiving a ticket in the mail after the amount has been deducted from the buyers bank account? (1st time pay'n with checking account...) I need to watch the mail, because sometimes things become missing. eh...
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:17 pm

I just want to give a heads up, especially for all of you wonderful newbies, to not miss the ePlaya Meet & Greet Thursday at 6 p.m. at Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro (we'll be on the corner as part of Wheeeee!Ville, location TBD shortly). Just bring yourself, perhaps something to share (beer, ice, absinthe, munchies) and come by and take a gander of all of these very special people. If it turns out to be anything like 2003's M&G, suffice it to say the term "Burner virgin" would have no use whatsoever.

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:14 pm

and don't forget to wear your name tag. It should read Hi, My Name is Bob!

*WOof!* :-P
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Thunder Monkey

How do!

Post by Thunder Monkey » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:06 am

My names Jake, I first heard about the event back in the mid 90's most likely from some publication, got invited to go in 99, that fell through. I've met some burners over the years at various events and would still like to participate just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Thats an accurate albeit brief description of my life this far.

I unfortunately will not be attending this year, but preparations are already in the works for next year provided there is still an event. The plan thus far is to bring several close friends and family members. I actually live relatively close to Gerlach (about 300 miles) so logistics would be rather simple.

The idea of self reliance and leaving no trace really appeals to me. I've always camped this way, or "leaving it better than you find it". So when I started reading up on grey water and the various evaporation pool ideas I really felt I would feel comfortable in the "scene".

I've already started creating models of various dome concepts from toothpicks and scotch tape. And I'm beginning to hash out ideas for some kind of large "machine" to do a menial task ala Rube Goldberg.

I'm also looking for other burners in Southern Oregon and Northern California so I'm certain you'll soon see other posts related to that, or if you're in Southern Oregon or Northern California you may begin to start seeing my physical postings out and about.

So I look forward to taking it all in and gifting it all back! Lets make it happen!

LeChatNoir

Re: How do!

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:50 am

Welcome TripKnight and IslandTartan (any particular clan?)

And Thunder Monkey!!!
Thunder Monkey wrote:And I'm beginning to hash out ideas for some kind of large "machine" to do a menial task ala Rube Goldberg.
Oh, yes... you're in good company around here for those kinds of projects.

longobord

Hi there

Post by longobord » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm Christie. I've heard about you guys for years. I'm finally to the point where I'm ready to throw all caution (and vacation time) to the wind and finally make it out there. Although, living in the bay area, I've heard a lot of people talk about it, I don't really know anyone who's going, so I'm very interested in hooking up with folks.

Of course, the last time I threw all caution to the wind I wound up with a bit of damage, so for a limited time, I'm mobility challenged, which makes it hard to get out to the newbie events, although some that are easily accessible to public transit are possible.

IslandTartan

Re: How do!

Post by IslandTartan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:48 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]Welcome TripKnight and IslandTartan (any particular clan?)

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to finally at least, get into contact with my *family*.

BTW Clan Hunter :D would be my association, :) other portion is my mothers side who are hawaiian, interesting mix there.

LeChatNoir

Re: Hi there

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:35 pm

longobord wrote:I'm Christie. I've heard about you guys for years. I'm finally to the point where I'm ready to throw all caution (and vacation time) to the wind and finally make it out there. Although, living in the bay area, I've heard a lot of people talk about it, I don't really know anyone who's going, so I'm very interested in hooking up with folks.

Of course, the last time I threw all caution to the wind I wound up with a bit of damage, so for a limited time, I'm mobility challenged, which makes it hard to get out to the newbie events, although some that are easily accessible to public transit are possible.
Heya, longobord!!! Funny thing that. We've been waiting for you to show up for about as many years.

Welcome Home!!

Thunder Monkey wrote:BTW Clan Hunter :D would be my association, :) other portion is my mothers side who are hawaiian, interesting mix there.
Aha!! Hence the username. Well, an even bigger welcome, then from Clan Leslie. Maybe we can find big heavy things on the playa and toss them about and tell people its a game.

IslandTartan

Re: Hi there

Post by IslandTartan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:46 pm

[/quote] Aha!! Hence the username. Well, an even bigger welcome, then from Clan Leslie. Maybe we can find big heavy things on the playa and toss them about and tell people its a game.[/quote]

LOL, Hail to Clan Leslie, Well the last time I was there, there were plenty of heavy things to throw about, but no worries, there are also plenty of burners to throw about, we just have to REALLY convince them that it is our artistic expression and they are REALLY part of an art demo :)

jbugg

Post by jbugg » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:06 am

hey everyone, my name is jessica, i'm from philly, and i'm a BM virgin. i have been lurking for a few months now, but just posted for the first time today.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:18 am

Welcome Home Jbugg!!!

I lurked too for a long time, trying to take it all in...then of course when I finally arrived at the gates...I cried!
When we exodus'sed I again cried!!
Ive never felt more welcomed in any place on this world till I went HOME!

p.s. leave your expectations at the gate, open your mind and your heart!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Rabbi Dali Rick

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS....

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi all, we're glad you finally got here, so glad you came home. We have been waiting for you so long, we were afraid you were'nt gonna make it...

Now that you're here everythings fine. see you on the playa.

Wow! theres a lot of you better put some more some more fish on the grill, "Somebody Call the Tuna Guys and tell them to bring more Tuna!"

you're bestest pal,

the rebbi

(oh yeah, welcome home, now go outside and play....)

lena

Hi, I'm Lena

Post by lena » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Hello, my name is Lena. I am a graduate student studying electrical engineering (specifically optics & DSP) in Los Angeles, CA. This year will be my second time at BM.

I enjoy physics, good beer, Nethack, hiking, bicycling, and reading. The aspect of BM that I most want to get involved in is engineering - so if anybody needs a campmate that owns a soldering iron and knows how to use it, contact me!

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:13 pm

Hey Lena. Good to have more nerds joining up. So what's your funky electrical project for this year? You still have 30 days left!!! If you like the engineering aspect the first few days of the event will be the best for you. That's when people are putting things together and the nerds who design and build the stuff aren't diluted by all the people who just come to party.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”