Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
dillweed

hello - first burn

Post by dillweed » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:53 pm

this morning, i sat at my desk and considered when i would eventually go to BM. someone asked why i wasn't going this year.... and i couldn't think of a good reason. so, i bought a plane ticket. i don't even have the event ticket or a camp yet. i'll make it. i'll see you all there.

i went to firefly this year. amazing. i can't wait to wash in the playa dust.

dillweed
notetoself.net

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:03 pm

Go, Dillweed!

Try to buy a ticket when you're in reno if you can.
Good luck.
Don't forget all your stuff.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:23 pm

I learned when I moved out here and met all these fascinating people who had fascinating lives that really the only difference between them and the way I'd lived before is that they didn't ever say "one of these days". That's kind of why I'm going to. And that --^ fellow convinced me that I should put my doubts aside and just go. Glad I did.

Now as for tickets, this Friday's the big cutoff for both retail and internet, so you're still in luck! Unless you're flying into Reno before COB on Friday, I'd probably buy my tickets online. ABOUT INTERNET TICKETS
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

purplegirl

Just coming in

Post by purplegirl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:24 am

hi,
I'm jill from Santa Cruz. my 5 burn and my family's 4. my 8 year old son rejoices in all the penis worship and my 11 year old daughter is happy to realize she doesn't really have to grow up.
i just got an email forwarded with some info about current playa conditions, and i want to respond to some of the querys about this.
see ya'll soon

djero

Post by djero » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:28 pm

Fellow Freaks and Explorers,

Hola, i'm Djero from Colorado, a musician, woodworker, father and passionate seeker (long story short). Tomorrow I leave for a new adventure! I feel lucky I will be arriving early to my first BM, i'm helping with construction at an amazing camp called Cyphertown which very synchronistically brought me into their fold.

I am awash with excitement and some anxiety, mostly financial stress and wanting to be well prepared.

Deeper than all of this I feel nearly consumed with the feeling that I am supposed to be on the playa this year. It is at times ecstatic, and at others a bit overwhelming. I've lived my whole life following my heart radar, and it's bringing me to black rock city. I have no expectations, but am bringing a lot of positive intentions, skills, and a deep desire to share.

See you there!

fracturedguy

Post by fracturedguy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:30 am

So I'm joining ePlaya and posting a bit behind the game... I've spent the past two months without internet, though, so I've at least got the excuse.

I'm Court, a guy from Middle Tennessee. I just moved away from there, but I've only spent about 5 days in my new home of Tucson, AZ. I just returned from 3 weeks of camping on O'ahu. I've quit my job, run into the red financially, and am essentially homeless. In other words, things are pretty good.

I've wanted to attend Burning Man since I first heard of it in 1995, and this will be my first time. I've got a car packed with a tent, a bathmat, a sleeping bag and 12 gallons of water, but once I hit the road, I have no idea what comes next.
--Cr d.

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:38 am

I think I'm s'pose to say "Welcome home", but since I'm new myself, not sure what that's supposed to mean, really. ;-)

Tips? Well, you need more water to start. They recommend a bare minimum of like 15 for the week. I'm bringing 55, but I intend to bathe! Read up on the survival guide that came with your ticket. And there's a lovely first-timer's guide on the web here. I've read it a lot, but then again, I'm a nervous type.

Bathmat? That's... interesting!
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

ron5657

Post by ron5657 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:44 am

Bathmat lol thats funny! Val where u camping at? I recently had to sell a ticket cuz my friend couldn't make it. The board seems like a ghost town now since its so close to BM.

fracturedguy

Post by fracturedguy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:09 am

55? You intend to swim, not bathe! I've got more water in bottles; it's only 12 in the larger gas-can-styled water recepticles. I've also got a tent much larger than I need (there was originally going to be more than myself), so I've got a tent with some space, if anybody needs a place to store anything.

I've been looking and haven't found it on my own, so I'll ask--are we supposed to know where we're camping already? Most people seem to, but is this only in the case of theme camps?

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:56 am

You underestimate the dryness of the desert! (Did I mention I like to bathe daily?) Granted, I was only going to bring a 30 gal drum, but decided what the heck. Size is an issue, though.

That's a very good question about camping locations. It's pretty confusing. The people staying in the larger, registered camps know where they're staying because they've been "placed". Most of the area of BRC is "unzoned" which means, open to anyone who wants to camp there. I'm not going to be part of a larger camp myself, so I am thinking I'll be somewhere off to the right a bit from center camp, hopefully close in.

If you're looking for people to meet you, I think there are message boards, and you're encouraged to make a sign for your camp.

fracturedguy

Post by fracturedguy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 am

Unfortunately, I got re-wired so late. I imagine most people I can meet via message boards are on the road already; I'm about to hit the road myself in a few hours. I'll definitely be trolling the ePlaya for now, though.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the camping situation. That is what I had imagined it would be, but I couldn't find confirmation one way or another, other than the info about Theme Camps.
--Cr d.

PDX Burner Gurl

Virgin

Post by PDX Burner Gurl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:01 pm

It's my first time... we leave tonight at midnight! I am scared to death!
I will be with camp MIPL hope to make some new friends :0) around grassland and 5pm!

TD-2441
Burning Since: 2008

Hello from The Empire

Post by TD-2441 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi all I'm Rachel and I'm so jealous of all of you who, right now, will be setting up camp on the Playa!

I've joined the forums to start the long process of learning how to survive at BM, and research into what I need in order to have a successful trip with a group of mates. Will be a year maybe more as we'll be coming from the UK and will have to hire a campervan and buy all our kit out in the States (unless there are alternatives which I can discover on here!)

I was dead impressed by the Jawa Sandcrawler that popped up at one event, as I am an Imperial Sandtrooper with the UK Garrison, 501st Legion. Yes I'm a scifi nerd and I love it, and this July I met Mark Hamill when he came over for Celebration Europe and did a TV interview - I was there spotting for two Stormtroopers they wanted in attendance for the interview, it was awesome!

Anyways I'll be nosing around and asking lots of irritating questions so get ready ;)
"I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert". - Demetri Martin

abairn

Post by abairn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi , My name is Andy, i just moved to nevada and keep hearing about the lore of the Burning Man. I would like to experience it first hand but I can not find tickets or make it before Friday. is there any way to get in this year?
Andy

DJ Jenns

Post by DJ Jenns » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:10 am

Hi my name is DJ Jenns aka Dave, I'm 24 from Scotland and I'll be attending next year's gathering. Im a die-hard music electronic music lover and digital DJ.
I'm just planning out what exactly im going to build, probably one-hell of a giant perspex turntable... should be interesting hehe, anyways I'm really new to all this so I look forward to getting to knowing you all in the next 368 days.
P.s. Over here in the UK we get next to no news about any of this so thank god for the internet!

wannaberavin
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by wannaberavin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:54 am

Hello...... Have fun this year, maybe next year I will join all you.
When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the World Will Know Peace

debbaleereno

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by debbaleereno » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 pm

[quote="Last Real Burner"][b]Hi my name is Rabbi Dali Rick. I frequent this board a lot. What's your name, and how did you hear about this place? We are really glad you're here. We love meeting new people, sharing idea's, community, and the general koas of life.[/b]

[img]http://www.slygreetings.com/images/pics/KingBeasts.jpg[/img]

[b]Just remember who's in charge and everything will be fine.[/b]

"Never get into an argument with an idiot...he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
welcomingly,
the rebbi[/quote] :D :D [quote]"Who put the ART in pARTy?" Hi Im debbaleereno.Found this place looking for a 07BMwebcam since we didn't go this year. [/u][/quote]

misspennylane

Post by misspennylane » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 pm

HI. my names laura.
im sixteen [yes, im "young"] and have been wanting to go to the burning man for 3 years now.
im attending next year, in 2008, but honestly i feel so unprepared. even as its a whole year away i dont know what to expect.
im a BM virgin. hah.
id appreciate anyone who would take the time to tell me about their expriences at BM.

the whole bohemian-free-expression non-money-regulated free thing just intrigues me completely.

i cant wait to participate.

Hangin'Chad

Back from First Burn

Post by Hangin'Chad » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:13 pm

Howdy, folks.

I just signed up here today. I love the idea of a forum where I can stay connected to the BRC state of mind year-round, and perhaps learn from more experienced Burners.

I usually just go by Chad in both BRC and the default world, but the "hangin' " bit is a legitimately given nick-name based on a bit of jewelry I wear and the religious significance it has.

This year was my first burn and my wife's second (2005 was her first with some university friends). Those of you who were there this year will understand when I say we were part of the massive influx of citizens after Thursday's dust storm.

My only misgivings coming into my first Burn all stemmed from wondering how I'd react to public nudity. I actually had a false impression about how prevalent it is from the photo galleries on this site. I expected to see only about 1% of BRC's denizens less dressed than is legal "on the outside", but I think this year it might have averaged out to 40% depending on what time of day you took your sample.

I didn't know if I'd avoid people's eyes in embarrassment, or stare too long and embarrass *them*, etc. You never know how you'll react to that sort of thing till you meet it.

I think I handled it quite well. I was mildly surprised when I suddenly realized on Friday morning that I could easily see two young ladies in plain sight taking standing baths. I simply saw them and went back to what I was doing. By mid-morning Saturday, I'd come to see the various states of undress as yet another form of *art*, because the context is completely non-sexual when you're just passing fellow Burnizens on the street or playa.

Despite (or maybe *because* of) the one-two punch of the double dust storm on Friday, I had an *awesome* experience during my first residency at BRC. I met some awesome folks who invited us into their camp for shelter during the first hard blow (up near 7:30 and Kelp, Valerie and crew), and then got acquainted with my across-the-street neighbor Zeus while we rebuilt our own crumbled camp. He also saved us during the second Friday blow, since we are both too short to get the canopy top down in such winds. All we could do was hold it up to prevent another break in the frame.

(But lemme tell you, that physical fight with such winds and trying to hold that fabric and frame together *loudly* resonated in the connection I have with my Viking and Saxon ancestors!!)

We did what we could to also build community, by sharing our food and ice with our neighbors freely, and offering water and conversation to a wanderer on Sunday as we packed up.

Further, we were the first to stop and offer help to some fellow Burnizens with a vehicle break-down on the highway to Gerlach after they'd guesstimated 100-200 vehicles had bypassed them. We didn't successfully get them out, but we did our best and saw them safely into the company of someone who could do so. We're also keeping in touch with them post-Burn, in the hopes of seeing each other between events. Maybe we'll even camp together some time in BRC, we'll see what happens.

In the coming months I'll be collecting materials and supplies for next year. I've also got a concept for a new shade structure that I may run by some of you folks to take advantage of the greater knowledge that only experience can bring.

Looking forward to next year already (and I bought a bunch of playa clothes today, too!)
"A guy who's painted all blue is calling you "hippies" and you're taking it!"
-Mark Day during his comedy act at Center Camp
BM 2007

waterlyric

Post by waterlyric » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:31 am

Okay, since Chad wrote basically everything I needed to say, I will just say that I'm waterlyric (from Sacramento) and this year was my first Burn. Funny, I camped with a Chad... Anyhow, I too love the idea of being able to connect with fellow burners throughout the year, sharing anticipation of the event to come. Chad, don't forget the best part of Friday's dust storm -- the rain followed by the gorgeous technicolor double rainbow. It was unbelievably surreal, as was my entire experience on the playa.

I am definitely interested in your shade structure idea, as ours wasn't altogether brilliant. I learned so much this year about how not to do things next year :wink: Our camp was pretty minimalistic, but one upside was that it was super easy to tear down and pack out.

I look forward to getting to know some new friends to meet up with next year!
=waterlyric=

Gooloo

Post by Gooloo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:12 pm

Hello eplaya people. How I would have liked to have been with you all this year. I have spent the last two weeks immersed in anything and everything I can find about Burning Man. Somehow I felt a calling. You see I'm not some 20 something or even 30 something guy anymore. I have found my responsibilities and my escapes in this life. I have endured the corporate structures and the mortgage and the monkeys for much too long. I'm kind of a rock that way. Takes me a while to figure things out. But I'm here now and hope to find some friends because, well this seems like a friendly place. I'm making my commitment now for 2008, lead me to the light brothers and sisters, this man has a lot to burn.
Analytically fun and spontaneous

swifty mcshepherd

Post by swifty mcshepherd » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 pm

hi everybody,
my name is swifty mcshepherd. i am new to eplaya. however, i have been a burning for four years now. i love brc and can not wait until next year, although, i am a little hesitant of the theme.
its hard for me to think of good things to say about what makes me proud to be called an "american". how do you express your love to your country when you despise all that your leaders tell the rest of the world you are fighting for?
happy burning,
swifty.

tinkereese13

Post by tinkereese13 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:48 am

[color=darkblue] :D :wink: 8) Hey all you eplaya people. My name is tinkereese13 - aka Tina. This was my first year going to BM. We took my daughter, who I must say was very excited about the whole trip. We had planned for the last two months and didn't really see some of the events we would of like to. So next year we will be so much more prepared. Thank you to al of the people who took time out to talk with us. You are all of the most kindest people. My daughter really enjoyed sitting upon one of the art cars and watched all the people from up high. Thanks again to that burner.
This was the most aw inspiring, life motivating, experience in our lives and we will cherich it everyday. No longer virgins here.

See you next burn!![/color]
"Follow the directions and directly you will be directed into the right direction" - Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland

Hangin'Chad

Shade Structure Idea

Post by Hangin'Chad » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Howdy again, folks.

This probably belongs in a different section of the board, but I'm putting it here since Waterlyric expressed interest in my idea.

This idea I've got requires a vehicle with a luggage rack on top to execute, but it's likely it can be modified to work around that. Nothing will inspire your creativity like having your shade structure break when you've got a full day and a half left in the Black Rock Desert, lol.

I'm gonna get an 8' section of PVC pipe, not yet sure of the diameter, and two pieces of wood, either 1" X 2" boards or those poles you see used to support young trees against the wind. Then I'm gonna find some tent stakes or similar item that can be adapted to that use. The design for these stakes must involve a flat expanse that holes can be drilled through.

So, I drill two holes each in four stakes, three if there's room. The stakes then get screwed onto opposite sides of the wooden posts to anchor them into the ground. Near the top of each post, I'll attach two screw eyes 90 degrees apart to attach rope guy wires to, and another to secure the top.
Above these I'll drill a hole through each post.

The PVC will get holes drilled all the way through it to accommodate the grommets on the short side of an 8' X 10' tarp, and said tarp will get tied to the PVC through both sides. Then a section of 3/8" to 1/2" rope goes through the inside of the pipe.

To assemble, I'll stake the wooden posts into the ground, take the rope from the middle of the PVC through the hole in the top of each post and tie each end to the third screw eye on the post at each side. Guy wires get tied to tent stakes and attached to the other two scew eyes on each post. Then the tarp is unrolled off the PVC (which is now perched atop both anchored posts) and the other end is tied off to the luggage rack on our Rodeo. Since the strongest prevailing winds on the playa this year seemed to be from West or South, I plan on parking the Rodeo facing SE and setting this structure up downwind from it.

Part of our downfall with the pop-up canopy this year was that we had our tarp attached to the south side with zip ties to block those slanting afternoon sun rays. For additional shade on the sides next year, I'm gonna buy a few of those silver "emergency blankets" and tie them to the PVC or the grommets on the long sides of the tarp, but I *will not* attach these blankets to each other or to the ground. Based on this year's experience, the shade structures that survive BRC's winds the best are those that let it go around or through.

If anyone has tried anything like this before, please let me know how it worked/why it failed. Anybody who's interested in trying my idea for yourself, feel free, and certainly do let me know if you think of an improvement to my design!
"A guy who's painted all blue is calling you "hippies" and you're taking it!"
-Mark Day during his comedy act at Center Camp
BM 2007

BRITTAINYPALERIDER

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by BRITTAINYPALERIDER » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:03 pm

BRITTAINY

[img]http://www.slygreetings.com/images/pics/KingBeasts.jpg[/img]

[b]Just remember who's in charge and everything will be fine.[/b]

"Never get into an argument with an idiot...he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
welcomingly,
the rebbi[/quote] :cry: :cry:
I AM................ **COLORBLIND**

3rdto1st

Post by 3rdto1st » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:39 am

Hey everybody. My name is Alex and i have heard about burning man since i was 13, my father had never been but always talked about it. I forgot for a while, but now at 21, i read about some experiences in a book and decided to check out the site.

I feel a great sense of dissappointment for not being able to come this year. Im out in school in NY, so it will be rough to do, but i am trying to begin coordinating 08 with some other friends interested in being first timers.

Im just a little unsure of how i can get all the stuff out there and back, but im sure after cruising these forums i will find a way. Hope you all have a good time, see you next year!

wannaberavin
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by wannaberavin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:43 am

[quote="Gooloo"]Hello eplaya people. How I would have liked to have been with you all this year. I have spent the last two weeks immersed in anything and everything I can find about Burning Man. Somehow I felt a calling. You see I'm not some 20 something or even 30 something guy anymore. I have found my responsibilities and my escapes in this life. I have endured the corporate structures and the mortgage and the monkeys for much too long. I'm kind of a rock that way. Takes me a while to figure things out. But I'm here now and hope to find some friends because, well this seems like a friendly place. I'm making my commitment now for 2008, lead me to the light brothers and sisters, this man has a lot to burn.[/quote]

I feel you Goo. I am here for the same reason and the same calling that I have been feeling. But I am 30 something, and not quite so far into the "corporate structure" of life. And I to have made a commitment I WILL be there for 2008, if its the only thing I do. Coming all the way from FL should be an adventure all in itself.
When the Power of Love Overcomes the Love of Power the World Will Know Peace

Chad-Pierce

none

Post by Chad-Pierce » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:37 am

[color=blue]Well this was my first burn. I only went because my wife realy wanted to go. When we got there i looked at it and just knew I was going to hate the whole thing and have a realy boring time. That's probebly because i'm an metel monster. I live and breath metel out here in the world away from home. I finaly relaxed and let it flow through me (the rythem of the playa), and found a whole new me. My relationship with my wife has been strenghthend, and we can't wait to see you all at the next burn. Love you all.[/color]
it's do or do not, there is no try. Master Yoda.

JNGLST66

Post by JNGLST66 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:21 am

Well hello to everyone! My name is trish, this year was my first.
I now know why everyone comes home sad that its over.
BRC has to be one of the most amazing places Ive been to yet.
Proud to finally be apart of the community, let the imagination fly for next year!
Blessings and love to you all!
MUSIC MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND

Skrýtinn Qveldriga

Post by Skrýtinn Qveldriga » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 am

hello all, my name is jake.
ive never been to bm as im in england this year. (was going to go)
but im looking forward to next year. ive been wanting to go since i moved to this country, and im definately not going to miss my cahnce in '08.

what do you guys think of a dune themed camp? giant sandworm cars and crazy stuff like that. i reckon the playa would be the perfect backdrop for something along those lines...
anyway rambling sorry..
love
Meow
Sad Little Panda Bear

Return to “The Greeter's Station”