Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:07 am

Chief wrote:Any suggestions on what would be a good first camp to volenteer with?
Welcome Chief! From past experience, planning in the real world and then being on playa with those plans are kinda different :D I've noticed alot of the pre-planning goes to the wayside once I get that first foot down in that delicious dust. As far as volunteering, anything and everybody appreciates help, big and small. It could be as simple as helping your fellow neighbor set-up their tent when they show up or joining a larger scale (i.e- Lamplighters, BRC Post Office, Piss Clear Newspaper, etc.). It's a "help-when-feel-compelled" feeling as opposed to a requirement/obligation. If it's your first year, I'd say roll through the dust, have fun, and listen to what your heart says :wink: My volunteer day in year's past has been to help pick up scrap wood pieces as they build The Temple.
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Chief

Post by Chief » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:11 am

'd say roll through the dust, have fun, and listen to what your heart says
Thank you Clarkcon, that is very good advice.
Forgiveness is something that you have to earn.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Part of Shock the Karma Conglomerate
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

diverdude

First timmer

Post by diverdude » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:39 pm

[color=red][/color][size=18][/size]

Hey, I am a newb hear. My name is nick. I have done lots of backpacking and camping Just not at BM. Right now it is looking like I will be comming solo. Been reading alot and there is some good info on hear.Thanks!!

NICK

Drock

Post by Drock » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Derek. I heard a lot of great things about burning man from a friend at work who went so I thought I'd check it out. Now I'm totally excited for it and have started preparing. I feel kind of stuck where I am now and that I need to travel if only for a week and have some fun. Unfortunately I'm only 19 and most of my friends are ether too poor or too lazy to commit to such a large event. But I don't want to let anyone ruin my chance to go so I may have to show up solo. I'm sure id make friends there (that's the point of going) but has anyone here gone solo? is it really the same experience? later all :)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:28 pm

Welcome home, Derek. Plenty of people go solo, and plenty of folks find other s to connect with here on on the playa. It is never the same experience from hour to hour, so don't worry.

CLARKcon

Post by CLARKcon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Drock wrote:...but I don't want to let anyone ruin my chance to go so I may have to show up solo.
Hey Derek/Drock- Never went solo yet (although idea sounds tempting :) ). First time went with an older friend from town who'd been before, and prepped me well and answered my questions. As long as you pack well & have your questions answered (asking here or when out on playa) then I say "Game On!". Try to remember, though- 'Self Reliance'- whether by yourself, friends, or a camp, you have to have the idea to sustain yourself for a week in a desert (physically, mentally, emotionally) and entertainment, oooh, humanity's got that covered :D
☕ COFFEE CAMP :

gnostikoi

Post by gnostikoi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:11 pm

For what it's worth, I recommend going solo, especially for your first burn. It just worked out that way for me; I had been planning on going with a group, but things fell through for everyone except me. I even thought about not going, but I decided to go through with it. It ended up being better for me. I didn't have a bunch of baggage from the default world and I was free to be whoever I wanted to be because there was NO ONE there who knew me - it was an opportunity to reinvent myself in a context unlike anything I'd ever experienced, and that was a pretty cool thing.

Also, just because you're going by yourself doesn't mean you have to camp by yourself; you might try hooking up with a theme camp that's recruiting. You can make some really great new friends that way. Have fun! :)

CrowSpirit

Post by CrowSpirit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 pm

Ello everyone, I have been informed by a seemingly reliable resource that this is the place to post if you are new and wanting to meet the eplayan people. *curtsies* ...I come in peace. *looks around*...I promise you I am not an alien...please don't take me to the president!! *begging and wailing* ..anyways I'm Nicole, I look forward to meeting everyone...*raised chin and stern trump face, coupled with the uncle sam finger*...that means you. If you ever want to talk feel free to email me, message, aim, whatever form of communication you see fit, and I guarantee, I will try to respond with humorous whilst intelletually engaging conversation.. *crossed fingers* ...no promises, I only work miracles on tuesdays, alas, it is a sunday, and I am beat down tired.
So farewell, ado, to you, and you, and you, good-bye.....
~Crow Spirit

*that last line was a sound of music reference, hope that isn't copyright infingment, I have no money for a lawsuit*

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Hello CrowSpirit!

Welcome to eplaya (twitches tip of tail).

This is a pretty good place to hang out. People sort of flow in and out, and there’s a pretty reliable cast of interesting, diverse, and witty characters. Lots of good information to learn and help to be found around here as well.

So again, welcome... and be sure to read up on the First Timer’s guide.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

CrowSpirit

Post by CrowSpirit » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Ello LechatNoir, thank you for the advice. and if your picture is any evidence *wink* ...you are a very lovely kitty, much like the one that lives with me...

Stray

hi!

Post by Stray » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:50 am

*waves*
I can't recall anything.
But I can call again and again until they pick up.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:39 am

(waves back)

(points to sign in the corner that reads, "Strays Welcome")

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:15 am

(waves back)

(carefully concealing the rest of the sign that says "then boiled and eaten"}

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:52 am

Oh.. um... we won't bring that part up until later...

CLARKcon

Post by CLARKcon » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Hello CrowSpirit, Stray! First time out to the dust? Like LCN mentioned, the main page and ePlaya are good resources for preparin' up. Be excited, be amused, just b e :D
☕ COFFEE CAMP :

CrowSpirit

Post by CrowSpirit » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Hello to you too Clarkcon, ...I always try to just be... Okay, luckily I'm not a stray because, I'm quite happy in hot water, but boiled is a whole diffrent story...

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Yee Haa

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Hee Yaa!!!

thirt33n
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Post by thirt33n » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:59 pm

blow.

journey

Post by journey » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:21 pm

Hey everyone. I'm Jody. This will be my first year at the Burn, though I know quite a few Burners--Kitty Kamp, Surly...Right now I am unsure who I will be camping with--no worries, though. Just looking forward to the experience. I have done extensive camping in the high desert in Central Oregon and feel fairly secure in my abilities to sustain myself on the playa. My biggest worry stems from my interaction with large crowds--I can deal, but also like some space for peace and quiet, occasionally. Any suggestions regarding that would be appreciated.
I found ePlaya via Tribe, where I also go by the handle Journey--a shortened version of the earth name I earned while working for a wilderness therapy program here in Central Oregon.
When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:36 pm

Welcome Journey!!

For some quiet, be sure to head to deep playa every now and again.

And by Surly, do you mean Surly Tart?

journey

Post by journey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks LeChatNoir. When you say deep playa, do you mean out of BRC on the playa, or is there a camp called deep playa? And I was referring to Surly Camp and the Surly Bird Art Car.
When you look out of your window, you do not see the world as it is, you see it as you are.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:17 pm

Deep playa is the part of the event area (within the trash fence) that is way, way out away from the city. It’s a different thing out there. There are plenty of places way out there to go and find solitude. I try to see the city from there at least once each year. And going on out to the trash fence is pretty cool, too. Two years ago there was a solitary couch out near the trash fence and 12:00. It was turned away from the city and looking out into the greater void of the Black Rock Desert beyond the fence.

Karine and I sat there for a while.

journey

Post by journey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:52 pm

ahhh, deep playa sounds very nice as a solution for my sometimes crowd anxiety...Thanks Noir

charleshstle541

Post by charleshstle541 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:42 pm

Whats up Burners! Going to be my first year and already looking forward to Burn for the rest of my life... My dad actually invited me to go with him! Its his first year as well. He's an old hippie from the 60's, haha. He's a creative son-of-a-bitch, he makes dolls and is making a whole bunch of 'peace/burning man' necklaces to give out. See you guys there!

Whats up journey? I live in Bend, OR as well. How you getting down there? Are you rolling down there solo? or flying?

CLARKcon

Post by CLARKcon » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Welcome Journey/charleshstle541- ePlaya is a good source for information, discussions, and if not anything :D entertainment. Get ready to explore in 08' on all levels. P.S.- I'm an NE Oregon burner (La Grande). My sister went to COCC in Bend 8)
☕ COFFEE CAMP :

journey

Post by journey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:30 pm

Hey charleshstle541 and CLARKcon. Glad to see some Oregonians from the desert-side up in here. Charles--not sure yet how I am getting to the burn, probably with a group. It will all come together, I am sure. Going with pops sounds pretty cool, too. Its a shame my family is not so into it...

Vampira

Hello

Post by Vampira » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:20 pm

My Name is Linzie, I live in Northern California, Redding or Anderson.
This will be my first burn, I got my golden ticket, it's a little gaudy but it is beautiful to me. :D . I've wanted to go to BM for many years, never had the balls to go alone, this year I said F it, I'm going no matter what, so here I am babbling on the eplaya because I can't wait to get out there for the most anticipated event in my life so far. I have a great fella that has to work while BM is in operation, but doesn't have the desire to go any way, weirdo, giggles. I don't have a job at this point, but getting a throw away job soon to get some road cash, I still don't know what I wanna be when I grow up. I'm a gemini, loves cats, hot pink, the ocean, conversation, anything that is out of the ordinary I change my mind a lot. lol. I'll stop now before I write a book.

Can't wait to me you all out there this year.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 pm

cool - youll have a blast. I also like the term "throw away job"

you'll fit right in.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:28 pm

Welcome Vampira

My other half isn't a burner either. He would rather sit at home and play video games for the week while I am gone. Works for me though.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”