Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 pm

Map in Black Rock City-

You Are Here

and Here...
and Here...
and Here...
and Here...

Antonym&RedCorruptor

Comming over from Blighty!

Post by Antonym&RedCorruptor » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Hello, we are Henry and Aimee... although to be fair, Aimee doesn't know I'm posting this. In fact she doesn't even know she's coming to Burning Man!
We live in England and have wanted to come for years. On the 30th of July it will be Aimee's 30th Birthday, sadley I don't get to be with her on the day, as I'm away for a month working... But to make up for it, I'm bringing her to the party!

I've got a lot of planning to do, so I'm off to read the rest of the forum, before posting a silly question.

Many Thanks and have a great time, Hx.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Welcome!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:54 pm

When do you intend to tell her?

Big surprises can be tricky.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

doctrdev

First timers!!

Post by doctrdev » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 am

Hi All!

My name's Devin, I'll be going with my buddy Sean. The gf doesn't like the heat, so we're having a boy's trip, should be fun.

This will be our first time at BM. We're regular goth/industrial club rats, so if you're ever in the LA area, check out Das Bunker (yeah I know it should be "Der" Bunker, but that's what it's called), or Perversion, Bar Sinister, you might run in to us =) Making the 12-hour trek from LA to BM in my small but mighty Scion xA.

We dig psytrance, electro house, D&B, looking forward to dancing to some good stuff at BM and giving some light shows. Oh, what else... I have a degree in Biology, I'm an entrepreneur now.. I'm 29, Sean is 21. I'm getting in to tabletop RPGs, been studying my Warhammer textbook (damn that thing is huge). Love glowsticking!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:58 am

Or "Die Bunker", depending on case und farfegnugen.

Samasutra

Post by Samasutra » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:47 pm

My name is Samantha and I have been a reader of eplaya for a few years but don't post as much as I should. This year will be my 5th at BM. I think about it everyday for about 6 months beforehand, its a sickness, and I got it bad. I am from Los Angeles but my home is San Francisco and I am currently living and working in the Philippines. I love being on stage; singing, dancing, love love love it. Just before I left the states for Manila I was Janet in a rock and roll review of Rocky Horror. Scandalous fun. :) Nice to meet you all, see you at home!
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

CheepingMerry

Post by CheepingMerry » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi-O!
My name is Chelsea and my boyfriend Drew and I are coming for our first time this year. Also coming for my first 20th birthday celebration! Arg! What better place to morn the loss of being a teenager though? Hahaha

Anyway, I love camping, being dirty, like really really dirty, and crocheting (no not knitting, crocheting!) If I meet you and like you expect to leave with a new hat. Though that's only if you can talk me into sitting still long enough to finish it. My suggestion? Keep me talking!

I'm from Michigan, but just moved to LA. Camping in the desert? Should be way different than in the woods but I'm so ready to be challenged. Also so ready to be naked!

Drew is a poet, a rapper, a magician with words and the most amazing human being I know. We are both great with our hands and plan on offering a little mini foot spa of sorts at our camp :)

Can't wait to meet you all!

CheepingMerry

Post by CheepingMerry » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:51 pm

oh dear, my first post was a double! how embarrassing! don't know how I did that...

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Honest mistake. :o :wink: 8)

yurtgirl

hello from Ohio!

Post by yurtgirl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:46 pm

Hey! I'm Yurtgirl and if all goes as planned my sister and i will be on our first Burning Man expedition. I just finished nursing school and got my licence to practice as a registered nurse and this festival will be the perfect transition from my very studious and stressful past life to my new re-awakening. I've promised myself I will seek a little joy and and come back to my life with renewed energy and more love for those around me and for those who need just a little TLC as they heal. I love to make earrings so if you stop by my camp and we get along, I may give you a pair to match your party dress. There are no words to convey my excitement for this opportunity. I can only say "squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

( i accidentally posted this in the wrong place, my apologies...I'm trying to fix it)
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:57 pm

This works.

Welcome to eplaya.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Giggle. I'm Dani. This is my first trip to the playa. Somehow I hornswaggled my sister into coming with me. I have been wanting to go ever since some friends danced with fire and said they had learned at burning man. I think that was about 10 years ago. Life led me away... but I am here now! I have been reading the eplaya, talking to people that have gone or are going, and planning for months and months. I got giggly excited when my printed survival guide arrived... and then even more so when the playa event calendar was posted!

I can't wait to meet you all!

Oh! And I already volunteered to sell ice at camp artica...

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 am

Welcome.
It takes many people awhile to get here.
Still worth it for most of us.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Ello ello. My names AJ and uh I'm an addict.

Welcome and have fun.

26 days and counting... Giggle.
:wink:
-AJ )'(

ZenoBoy

Post by ZenoBoy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:37 am

Howdy to all,

First time poster, 4th time burner.

My last adventure to the playa was in 2007. I took 2008 off. 2007 was an awful year on the playa for me. When I left on Sunday I swore I would never return things went so wrong but after some heavy introspection and a year off I am going to return, not letting my past experiences kick me in the ass. I can't quit you Burning Man!

I don't know how to explain it, I was on the receiving end of so much negativity that I just got overwhelmed. It started with an experience on Tuesday while helping my friend to the Medical Camp when he had heat stroke and having some asshole scream at me "Fucking Tourist!" because I wasn't in some costume. That was the beginning of the end for me that year. No matter what I did to turn things around they just went wrong. I got my ass kicked that year.

I have a question that I hope people will have some insight on. It will sound crazy but it is something that plagues me out there. I have a really hard time meeting people at first approach. Put me in a group with one or two people I know and I am great, but on my own, meeting strangers, I just clam up and then retreat inside my head. I realize that Burning Man is a large pile of friendly people but there must be other people out there with varying forms of social anxiety. What do others do to get over meeting new, unusual, fascinating people?

I can't wait to get out there and really want this year to be a great one.

12 DAYS until I can drive home!!!! YEEEEOOOOW

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:15 pm

I pretend I know them and give them joyous greetings and hugs. "Hey you freak! What are you doing out here this year? opw's it going?" Performance art as it were, so I can shed my shy personality. Better yet if you can ask a friend their names. Then they think they know you and laugh when they find out you're simply nuts.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:39 pm

Look through the WWW and find things that have people doing things together. Maybe if there is a singles bondage class, could be fun. or

buy a shit load of hot dogs, in the evening, about dinner time.. cook some up, put them on a bun with all the good stuff, walk out in the road and say "hot dog" someone will come over and say, "OMG, I was just dreaming about eating a hot dog and here YOU are, a dream come true" and you can talk between bites. It might even be fun finding drinks and all...

have fun, your attitude will make the difference.

Humm, hot dog...hummmm.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Zenoboy hey... A few things I can recommend is to get involved in some of the group participatory activities out there. Bring a friend from your own camp (maybe someone who has the same problem meeting new people) and volunteer to help out at some of the infrastructure camps out there. Lamplighters, Camp Arctica, Recycle Camps. You will meet tons of people. Involve yourself in some of the activities that are going on out there. Center Camp is a great place for this. Its nearly impossible to sit at Center Camp and not have someone come up and talk to you.

Also offer something to your neighbors. Bring them a beer or something and make conversation and get to know them. Meeting one person often leads to meeting five more people just through that one initial person. You meet one of your neighbors and your soon to meet all of their camp mates as well. And besides its ALWAYS good to know your neighbors.

Another surefire way to meet people... You can come by our camp and have a beer. :wink:
-AJ )'(

ZenoBoy

Post by ZenoBoy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

This year I have volunteered for some greeter shifts which I am really looking forward to doing. I have done Ice Camp in the past but I'm a big guy so I always got stuffed in the back of the truck unloading ice.

The Hot Dog idea is great. Adding that to the list of food supplies.

I will be with Destiny Lounge this year at 3:00 and Esplanade so that's going to force me to meet a whole lot of you lunatics javascript:emoticon(':D')

I have high hopes and am going with a great attitude, which is sort of what scares me. I almost needed to be medicated in 2007 I was so pumped up and excited. Maybe that's what made it so tough for me that year. I had such high expectations, created my first registered theme camp with a friend and nothing turned out the way I could have imagined.

I'm with a new group of people who are pumped up and are a lot of fun. I will stop by to share beers with any and all.

Thanks!

:D

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Don't you FUCKING hug me, you prevert.

Just kidding, welcome!

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 pm

ZenoBoy wrote:Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

This year I have volunteered for some greeter shifts which I am really looking forward to doing. I have done Ice Camp in the past but I'm a big guy so I always got stuffed in the back of the truck unloading ice.

The Hot Dog idea is great. Adding that to the list of food supplies.

I will be with Destiny Lounge this year at 3:00 and Esplanade so that's going to force me to meet a whole lot of you lunatics javascript:emoticon(':D')

I have high hopes and am going with a great attitude, which is sort of what scares me. I almost needed to be medicated in 2007 I was so pumped up and excited. Maybe that's what made it so tough for me that year. I had such high expectations, created my first registered theme camp with a friend and nothing turned out the way I could have imagined.

I'm with a new group of people who are pumped up and are a lot of fun. I will stop by to share beers with any and all.

Thanks!

:D
Everyone you meet is one on one.
I find center cafe the most standoffish area.

Email me (not pm) and I'll teach you a routine for the greeter's gate.

TOA's got nothing on the way I do the gate.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:06 pm

hey Zenoboy. Very similar, 4th time burner, 04, 05, 07, and this year. 07 kicked my ass too in a different way. I was with a big camp of GREAT people but somehow I let my own self be overshadowed. My problem, not anyone else's, but still it was a struggle.

This year I am intentionally creating as many interaction opportunities as possible. I HAVE to get outside myself and let that inner crazy out to make this work. PM me if you want more details. A simple example - take a sound recorder, or video, or whatever, and go interview people. It gives you a bit of a role to play - you're not shy old you, you're just doing an interview. One guy I camped with in '07 took around a bunch of old empty picture frames and gave people frames to have their portrait done. They'd pick a frame and hold it up however they wanted for their "portrait".

Good luck at the Island of Misfit Toys.

cyberwicklow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by cyberwicklow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 pm

My names Dave and in 2010 ill finally make it to BM from Ireland with one of my house mates Squish. I dont know yet if ill be flying from Ireland or Canada yet though as it depends on work. Hoping to learn alot and get to know a few of you on here before making the journey.
~Dave~

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:47 am

Greetings Dave and the Squishy guy (do tell us how he got that nickname please LOL)

Good to start planning ahead. A wealth of info here if you can put up with occasional snark :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

cyberwicklow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by cyberwicklow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 pm

actually no ones really quite sure hes had it for at least 5 years and before that he was called bread, so how busy are the forums these days seeing as burning mans just over and not on again till last year?

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:55 am

cyberwicklow wrote:so how busy are the forums these days seeing as burning mans just over and not on again till last year?
It is the slow season for the forum, but there are quite a bunch of us (20-30) who continue posting and reading year round. There will be visits here and there from the virgins, and then it'll get busy again around when tickets start going for sale, die down again for a bit and then get super busy again come late spring.

chris2010
Burning Since: 2010

Newbie from Florida... See you all in 2010!

Post by chris2010 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:13 am

My name is Chris, I'm a photographer from Citrus Springs Florida. I'll be at Burning Man for the first time in 2010! I can't wait!! I'll be going with a friend who was there in 2009. I hope to be taking a lot of photos when I'm there! If you have any helpful photo tips for shooting on the Playa it would be greatly appreciated.

See ya in 2010!
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: Newbie from Florida... See you all in 2010!

Post by ibdave » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 am

chris2010 wrote:My name is Chris, I'm a photographer from Citrus Springs Florida. I'll be at Burning Man for the first time in 2010! I can't wait!! I'll be going with a friend who was there in 2009. I hope to be taking a lot of photos when I'm there! If you have any helpful photo tips for shooting on the Playa it would be greatly appreciated.

See ya in 2010!
Hey Chris, welcome to the eplaya.
Read the survival guide 5 times and then 2 more times and then click your heels 40 times...
I see from your other posts, that your a eager beaver photographer.
I'm not but I do want to point out to you to leave your expectations at home. Do come to the Playa with a OPEN mind and very low Expectations. This seems to help insure your experience to be a great one.

12 years and I think I have taken 20-25 shots.
I love the gift that the highly skilled Photographers give to us post event. When someone wants to know about Burning Man I just pass on the links and let them explore through your lens.

i know, i know....... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

chris2010
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Newbie from Florida... See you all in 2010!

Post by chris2010 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:31 pm

ibdave wrote:
chris2010 wrote:My name is Chris, I'm a photographer from Citrus Springs Florida. I'll be at Burning Man for the first time in 2010! I can't wait!! I'll be going with a friend who was there in 2009. I hope to be taking a lot of photos when I'm there! If you have any helpful photo tips for shooting on the Playa it would be greatly appreciated.

See ya in 2010!
Hey Chris, welcome to the eplaya.
Read the survival guide 5 times and then 2 more times and then click your heels 40 times...
I see from your other posts, that your a eager beaver photographer.
I'm not but I do want to point out to you to leave your expectations at home. Do come to the Playa with a OPEN mind and very low Expectations. This seems to help insure your experience to be a great one.

12 years and I think I have taken 20-25 shots.
I love the gift that the highly skilled Photographers give to us post event. When someone wants to know about Burning Man I just pass on the links and let them explore through your lens.

i know, i know....... 8) 8) 8)
Hello Ibdave,

Thanks for your reply. I have read the survival guide a few time already, and I will a bunch more times before BM 2010. I've also been reading posts others have made these past few years on here and on other sites. I don't really have any BIG expectations, and I will go with an OPEN mind :) I do plan on having a great time, and taking a lot of photos. My friend who went this year would have take a lot of photos but the Playa got the best of her camera. I hope not to have the same problem she did.

Thanks again! :)
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?

Return to “The Greeter's Station”