Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
kevin428

Post by kevin428 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Ciao mi amici, my name is Kevin (no cool nickname) :( . I'm an Ohio native, moved to Florida 2 years ago (no, not to retire) and will be driving solo from Tampa Bay to my virgin burn this year.

I was on the couch surfing website 2 years ago, thinking about joining it, when I read something about burning man for the first time. I wanted to go but reluctance took hold until this year when I said 'fuck it I'm going!!'

Now I'm all in and I can't wait to get there!!! I've volunteered to be a greeter if they'll take a noob. That should be interesting and quite a fun experience!! 8)

See you all at BRC

cheers
Hugs and Hallucinations!!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:12 am

Hola and Hello...

gandolf21

Post by gandolf21 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello!! See you on la Playa!

Abigail J

Post by Abigail J » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

I can't wait to hook up with you guys. Kisses.
Flies spread diseases; keep yours zipped.

Abigail J

Post by Abigail J » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

I can't wait to hook up with you guys. Kisses.
Flies spread diseases; keep yours zipped.

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Mobility Camp

Looking for a way to get my manual wheelchair playa ready

Post by The Rat Lady » Sat May 21, 2011 8:15 pm

I've already got solid, off road tires on the back, but got scooter caster on origional frop legs on the front. Does anybody know how to build a large front wheel to attach and lift those little wheels off the dirt?
I'm actually gonna make it out for the first time this year!
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Re: Looking for a way to get my manual wheelchair playa read

Post by TomServo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:34 pm

The Rat Lady wrote:I've already got solid, off road tires on the back, but got scooter caster on origional frop legs on the front. Does anybody know how to build a large front wheel to attach and lift those little wheels off the dirt?
I'm actually gonna make it out for the first time this year!
my rat Eddie..R.I.P.

are you trying to trick out your scooter? If the playa is hard packed, this year, you should have no problem...otherwise steer clear of the dunes.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

The Rat Lady

Not a scooter

Post by The Rat Lady » Sat May 21, 2011 8:38 pm

it's a manual wheelchair. I have seen attachments where you can attach a larger front wheel in such a way as to lift up the small caster wheels so they don't sink into soft surfaces and the larger wheel is better suited to dirt areas
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Fatter tires? dont know much about wheelchairs. I think it really depends on the conditions. If you are disabled, and have a placard, you can get a permit for your vehicle, at the DMV.

The Rat Lady

I know about the DMV

Post by The Rat Lady » Sat May 21, 2011 8:48 pm

I've already got my letter but I want to be able to take my chair places too, so I can get up close and interactive to the artwork.
Groucho Marx

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat May 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Someone mentioned this once, but I don't recall if they found what they wanted.
It doesn't sound like a difficult concept.

There is a thread on wide rims and some on chairs.

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat May 21, 2011 8:54 pm

thus the vehicle permit. If you are disabled, you can use your car.

missdigital

Post by missdigital » Tue May 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Emmy ... first time burner RVing with a bunch of friends
I live in NYC currently will be a nice escape from the city
flying in to SF and driving from there :)

cant wait :shock:

momodumpling

Post by momodumpling » Wed May 25, 2011 1:54 am

Hello! momodumpling here, momo for short. Or any incantation of 'mo', MoBass, MoFlow, MoBurn - you get it...

It'll be my first Burn this year, and I'll be camping with the More Carrot theme camp, we run the Black Rock City Farmer's Market and lead the Countless Carrot march against those pesky natural resource depleting Billion Bunnies of the Billion Bunnies March!

Below is an approximation of my introduction to my fellow More Carrot-ers. I'm so flippin' excited about this adventure, I've found it hard to stay off these forums since I confirmed my participation. So, this is my first post ... lemme give a little back :)

It was probably about 12 years ago, the first time I heard about Burning Man. It sounded to me like a kind of dirty Utopia, and I’ve wanted to be a part of it ever since. Being from Australia, this is more difficult that it sounds!

In the late 90s when the Internet was really only just starting to have an impact on my life, I became part of a very small and unique (at the time) web community whose primary aim, harm minimisation in drug culture, became a focus for the next few years of my life. It was via this community, and common-cause, that I made long-lasting and international relationships, (some I still have to this day), and first heard about Burning Man (via a sweet internet romance experience with fellow 19-yo and Burner named 'Pyro'). There were parallels between what we were all experiencing socially from our different corners of the globe, albeit in much smaller concentrations, and what was happening on the playa… except the Playa had the advantage of capturing attention, for an entire week of desert-extreme-environment, punter-built, self-sufficiency. This was Mecca. But I had no money, ironically given that Burning Man is a commodity-free venture it's bloody expensive to get to, and this was what had me suffice in living vicariously via trip reports from my good buddies. (I *just* got in touch with Pyro again after 11 years absence…wow. Burning Man is already having an emotional effect on me!)

Fast forward a few years, post degree in Media Production, random bits of festival and theatre work and LOADS of outdoor parties, and in the last 5, I've lived in NYC (still couldn't afford the Burn), and London, (timing was never right) and now, I’m currently in Berlin, in transition, in the midst of leaving my life in London behind, and travelling for the rest of the year via sojourns in The Americas, to return to my homeland, Australia, which I departed in 2006.

And so, for me, Burning Man is a kind of nostalgic yearning for those intense years of self-discovery and deep relationships (i'll be visiting some of those forum friends I've known for over 10 years and still never met in real life) and a chance to help build and belong to this kind of community again. Personally, I hope to spend some time consolidating the last five years of my life and look forward with some (hopefully) new perspective, enjoy good earnest hard work and, without doubt (let’s not get toooo serious here) have some unbridled fun!

I am wholeheartedly welcoming the opportunity to be inspired by all your creativity and intelligence, and to inspire, and to experience something unique with a brilliant group of people who are after the same thing.

Wow. That was epic.

See you on the playa!

moplaya x

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Moplaya!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu May 26, 2011 5:27 pm

MoPlaya, welcome!
Sounds like a super amazing adventure! I'm glad your sorta wrapping it up with Burning Man.
LOL, be ready to decide to stay in NV for a couple years after your first burn.

I bet you have some amazing stories to tell! It would be fun to grab a beer and hear all about some crazy outrageous stuff!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Lowz
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hostel (but CNV stays in my heart)

Post by Lowz » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm

remind me ..my "more Carrot" are actually growing
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu May 26, 2011 9:46 pm

Dirty Utopia?
What's for an Aussie NOT to like? :)

momodumpling

Post by momodumpling » Thu May 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Lowz, More Carrot was started a few years back by old friends of mine from Oz ... do you know them?!

As usual, there seem to be a lot of Australians around - we've definitely got the global travel thing down.

momodumpling

Post by momodumpling » Fri May 27, 2011 1:09 am

And Illy... I almost definitely know already I'll be back for more :) If not just for Burning Man, to see more of this kind of spectacular North American landscape!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri May 27, 2011 9:20 am

Awesome!
At some point we godda have a drink, and you godda tell me some awesome stories!
Its really hot during the day! The perfect time to sit in the shade with cold beer and shoot the shit!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

delinquent

Post by delinquent » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:49 am

My name is Ashley. I've wanted to go to Burning Man for at least a decade. I've met a few lovely faces and seen a few pretty places but the playa has eluded me thus far.

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I'll be flying to the US, and I will have enough time to recover from jetlag (and have a gin & tonic in New York) before the festival starts.

I'm really excited, but also really stupid. I've bought my ticket to the festival, and now all I need to do is organise a passport, get a loan, book a flight, cross the sea, choose an outfit... and find a desert.

Expect many questions from me on this forum as I slowly realize the mess I'm in.

Thanks in advance :)

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:45 am

Welcome, Ashley.

You do know nyc isn't too close to the desert?

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 am

Melbourne to New York City? And then to the Black Rock Desert? You my dear win the Friends of OPEC Award. Might I suggest Melbourne to LAX or SFO, then either fly or take the train to Reno (fly if LAX, train if SFO), and catch a ride from there? That would save you at least 36 extra hours of traveling and who-knows how much more money. We have several campmates, one a wily veteran, coming in from Australia. If you'd like their emails, PM me and I will send it along.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:13 am

Try Perth. ;)

oxanika
Camp Name: Wild Oasis

Post by oxanika » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:44 pm

My name is Oxana and I'm from Moldova (it's a tiny country in Eastern Europe). I live and work in the Bay Area, which I love immensely. My first BM experience happened in the fall of 2009, in the hall of my beloved company – the wall from the entrance was (and it still is) full of A3 photos from the event. At the orientation, my first and only question was about those photos. When the lector started explaining, we kind of drifted from work to festival topics and, suddenly, I had a distinct feeling that my life in California is going to be quite awesome :)

This is year is going to be my first BM year. I convinced another friend of mine to join me and that's about it. Need to start serious preparations, thus, joining the forum. I'm insanely terrified and excited at the same time. Terrified because I suck at meeting new random people and being open (pretty common disease for most of ex Soviet Union people) and excited because I wanted it to be the BIG change that made my life different.

Thanks a million in advance for all the advices and help on the forum.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Welcome all! Now go open your own personal intro thread in "introduce Yourself" and get a proper welcome!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Oxana. Love your name!

It's quite, quite normal to be nervous. I sure was.

Just prepare like crazy, let go of expectations, and be flexible. :)

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:33 pm

Welcome Oxana.

We've all heard of Moldava, and thanks to a skater, we've all heard a variant of the name.
It is musical.

Relax.
Nothing to worry about, even though we already know your deepest secret fear.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:34 pm

"When you drink enough of my beer
You will find this magic brew'll
Make your every joke a jewel
You'll drive drunker than Oksana Baiul!"

Return to “The Greeter's Station”