Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:25 am

YUCK! I hate camping. :evil:
illy dilly wrote:An idea dawned on me this morning.
Will there be tickets for sale the day the event starts?

If I lived less than 20 hours from BRC, I would have all my shit packed up and ready to go Saturday night. Then I would spend the next 48 hours checking every craigslist city between me and BRC. Someone, will have been asking too much for their ticket, and not sold it. Or they would have tried to hold out for more money, and gotten screwed. Or at the last minute found out they can't go.
They would probably be desperately trying to sell their ticket, since the event has already started.

And lets say you don't find a ticket... screw it, you got a car full of camping gear! Go camp!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 am

Welcome to ePlaya, Harry! Burning Man is a week-long festival, and in the temporary city of 50,000 you'll see and hear just about every genre and style of music you could imagine. As well as epic art installations and mind-blowing performances and unusual feats of humanity. Sounds like you haven't heard a whole lot beyond those whispers, you can start by checking the main site for the first-timers/survival guide (this isn't the countryside, your survival is not assured if you're not prepared), and read some of the message boards here to get a sense for the sort of things people put together and get up to out in the Black Rock desert. There are even a few UK-based theme camps out there, you may want to reach out and get in touch with them to connect with some resources and helpful people in your neck of the woods. Good luck planning your first trip to Burning Man.

'P'

Post by 'P' » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Hello my name is Patrick. I am a five year burner that will not be making it this year :( Spanky new baby boy JP. He was there in the womb last year with my lovely wife and two year old daughter. We live in Redding, Ca which is about 180 miles due west of the MAN. I camped with the undesireables the first and second year ( second year was our honeymoon), Misift island two years, and last year with spampirish. I really think I signed up for this before but I'm not sure. Kinda have De JA VUE right now. I wish the best of luck to all the burners looking for tickets, I hope that every alotted ticket is used. Just remember its a 'rite of passage' but its not a free ride.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:13 pm

Welcome to ePlaya, Patrick, and congrats on the new addition!

semiautomagic

Post by semiautomagic » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm Noah and this year will be my first burn. I'll be camping with Darwin Fish Tank. I'm looking forward to participating in an inspiring experience. You'll see me around here in the next few weeks asking for advice on some of the things I'm preparing for our camp. Cheers!

jahokc

Post by jahokc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:13 am

Hola and Howdy.

I'm Joe from Oklahoma. I'm the only OKC friend returning for a second year. Last year I enjoyed camps that encouraged expressions of yoga. Are there yoga themed camps this year? And, If so, will they be located in close proximity to one another. The Yoga/Spiritual District, if you will.

Thanks for existing so beautifully.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am

Hey Jahokc, welcome to eplaya.

There will be more yoga than you know!

Check the Whos'n'whats-it they give you at gate. There will be morning, noon, and night yoga. Sun rise yoga at the temple is pretty common most years.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:26 am

HarryK wrote:Afternoon all,

My names Harry and I'm 25 and from UK. Caught whispers of this event from a friend of a friend and thought I'd check it out, defo want to come down for 2012!! Few questions though if anyone can help out, is it wise to come alone? I was planning on making it a solo mission and seeing how I got on. Secondly what exactly goes on music wise, is it a bit like a huge festival or is it more like a "if you wanna rock out and mash up feel free but there's enough to get on with if that's not your scene" kind of affair? And how long does the whole thing last? I'm already looking to book the time off work for 2012 and was wondering if it'd be worthwhile booking enough time off to check out Vegas aswell?

Cheers all and happy burnin for this year you lucky guys an girlies! ;) I am sooooo jealous!
Hey Harry!

The Burn always ends on the American "Labor Day" holiday (beginning a week before, on 12:01am the previous Monday). So Burning Man 2012 will likely begin on Monday August 27th, & end Monday September 3rd. Double check that on the Burning Man website after this year's Burn, & for the love of God, buy your 2012 ticket as soon as you can. Ticket first! You can always sell it, quite obviously. :)

Going alone to the Burn can be fabulous--camping with others is optional if you can set up & solidly stake a tent & some shade by yourself. You'll have neighbors & friends anyway. However, you can meet other UK Burners by going to the main site, clicking on "Regionals" at the top, then on the map, & adding yourself to the mailing lists. It's very smart to meet other local burners, share stories & strategies, etc.

And there's PLENTY to do at Burning Man, it's not like an outdoor concert with one focus or one mainstage; it's a real city with lots to do. Astonishing art, little cafés, bars, dance/yoga classes, indescribable events, things to ride on, workshops, dance clubs, etc.

Make sure you read this, especially including the Survival Guide: http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/

deepaks

Post by deepaks » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi My name is Deepak, I am new to Burning Man, looking forward to go this year...I have a ticket and looking forward to it. Everyone tells me it is a life time experience which you can have every year. Need suggestion and help to join a camp. Any suggestions…. am Vegetarian.. :D

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Deepak, welcome to ePlaya! Best place to start looking for campmate connections would be to check out the theme camps message board, where people tend to post openings in their camps (as well as just talk up their awesome camp projects). Another place to look is on the main site, on the list of theme camps. Read through the camp descriptions, and reach out to camps that seem appealing to see if they're still looking for campmates.

Chauncy

Post by Chauncy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Hello,

names Jeff, but ppl call me Chauncy! Attended BM before, but unfortunately not last year!... and in 09' I was part of the "my bike got stolen" club :P

Anywho, been away helping family on the East Coast b4 comin back to So Cal, and after my break last year I'm lookin to get back into the thick of it! Always looking for poi spinnin pals, or music mixin frendz! or hike\bike\outdoor ppl, etc... haha!
the fuk? is rawng with. you.

Raymaker

Post by Raymaker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:34 am

Hello everyone, I am Andrew from London UK, I am 53 and discovered Burning Man through Burning Life that is held in the virtual world of Second Life (SL), I am a artist in SL and work in the 'art world' in real life. My name in SL is Dekka Raymaker and will be coming with my SL & RL partner Penumbra Carter (SL name), so I guess I will use Raymaker for my Playa name. I have started making 500 art tags for the occasion which can be used as camera/equipment tags, or just worn around your neck or attached to your clothing, looking forward to being there.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:28 am

Chauncy wrote:Hello,

names Jeff, but ppl call me Chauncy! Attended BM before, but unfortunately not last year!... and in 09' I was part of the "my bike got stolen" club :P

Anywho, been away helping family on the East Coast b4 comin back to So Cal, and after my break last year I'm lookin to get back into the thick of it! Always looking for poi spinnin pals, or music mixin frendz! or hike\bike\outdoor ppl, etc... haha!
Hey Chauncy, its nice to see ya back!
Are you trying to make it to the 2011 burn, or gonna wait tell next year?
As I'm sure you know, if you don't have a ticket or a ton of money, its gonna be very hard to get a ticket.
Good luck and I hope we meet in the desert!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:29 am

Raymaker wrote:Hello everyone, I am Andrew from London UK, I am 53 and discovered Burning Man through Burning Life that is held in the virtual world of Second Life (SL), I am a artist in SL and work in the 'art world' in real life. My name in SL is Dekka Raymaker and will be coming with my SL & RL partner Penumbra Carter (SL name), so I guess I will use Raymaker for my Playa name. I have started making 500 art tags for the occasion which can be used as camera/equipment tags, or just worn around your neck or attached to your clothing, looking forward to being there.
Hi Raymaker!
The Art Tags idea sounds really cool!
Are they sorta like dog tags, but individually unique?
Can folks write on them with normal old permanent markers, or do they need some sorta special art supplies to put there contact info on them?

Raymaker

Post by Raymaker » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:40 am

illy dilly wrote:Hi Raymaker!
Can folks write on them with normal old permanent markers, or do they need some sorta special art supplies to put there contact info on them?
I have used standard card tags, like luggage tags. I noticed in the archive gifting section, someone does 'camera tags', well they are like that but in my and Pen's style. You can write with pen on them.

Rough ideas using stamps and will add other bits too, like collage, trying to make sure the bits do not fall off.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dekka_raymaker/6001780297/
Last edited by Raymaker on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 am

Raymaker wrote:Hello everyone, I am Andrew from London UK, I am 53 and discovered Burning Man through Burning Life that is held in the virtual world of Second Life (SL)
This makes me ridiculously happy. And I don't even play SL. I just like how the "real world" weaves in and out of things, and turns back in the oddest ways.

The tags sound neat, too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 am

Welcome Raymaker/Dekka, and hooray for another SL'er!!! My girlfriend and I 'discovered' Second Life through a documentary we saw back in 2008 (my name there is TriloByte Zanzibar). We couldn't make it to Burning Man, and soon found ourselves planning a virtual campsite at the Burning Life event. We have an incredible amount of fun designing anything from structures to clothing (no runs to the hardware or fabric stores!) and connecting with friends all over the globe.

If you should find yourselves in the vicinity of 9:00 and Graduation, look us up! Our camp is called Eridu Society, we're building a steampunk airship outpost. Ask for Trilo and BlakOpal :-)

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:10 am

Raymaker wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Hi Raymaker!
I have used standard card tags, like luggage tags. I noticed in the archive gifting section, someone does 'camera tags', well they are like that but in my and Pen's style. You can write with pen on them.

Rough ideas using stamps and will add other bits too, like collage, trying to make sure the bits do not fall off.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dekka_raymaker/6001780297/
Those are cool!
I'd say put everything you want on each one, then laminate them. O wait, then a normal pen couldn't write on them...SHOOT!
Do you remember as a kid, using clear packing tap to "laminate" things. Maybe that would work? Or even, doing the camera tag, then putting a little white label on the out side of the tap so that there was place to write on.

mhb1225

Post by mhb1225 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 am

Hey there everyone!

My name is Miriam and I'm from NJ. This will be my first time and I'm having a blast making some outfits. I was debating playing with glow in the dark paint (for my boots!) and I was wondering if anyone has some advice on what the best kind of paint is.

Can't wait to experience this with all of you!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi Miriam, welcome to ePlaya!

Hmm, you may want to pose the question over in Q&A, but my first thought would be to look for silk screening ink (used to make t-shirts, etc). They do have UV inks for silk screening, and from a class on screening I recently took I'm told silk screen inks can be used on leather. In your case though, rather than all the rest of the silk screening process, just use a brush and paint on. Applying heat after could be a trick, but I'm sure you could figure something out. That and someone on the Q&A boards may (probably) have an even better idea.

Good luck!

kelizabeth

Post by kelizabeth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi!

I think I'm making frenemies on the ticket 2011 boards, so I thought I'd waddle over here and introduce myself all proper.

I've been going to burning man for several years. Took me a few years to work up the nerve/logistics to go. I first heard about it when the population was still at a comfortable 20,000 through several friends while living and going to school up in Humboldt. Went twice to a regional burn up there and decided it was definitely my thing.

For my first burn, I was really excited about simply getting prepared. I wanted large shelter, so I learned how to build a dome with the crudest of tools and metal conduit. I built a jig and I flattened the ends of ~60 poles with a sledgehammer, drilled holes, bent the ends, and put it all together on the roof of my partner's then-residence. Years later, I have a custom-built form fitting cover made out of salvaged silver tarp, tons of velcro, grommets, and industrial ties, that breaks down into six sections. There are air vents, as many doors as I feel like, carpet when I manage to salvage some (otherwise painter's blankets), lots of deep-cycle battery-powered led lighting, and measures 16 feet across and 8 1/2 feet tall. It bl In total, the dome and cover cost me around $350 to create, and I am happy to teach anyone how to construct their own with limited budget/resources! I also build custom corsets if anyone is interested in fresh Playa gear!

I'm a member of a camp, Camp Wannaburn, based out of Grass Valley/Nevada City, a real fun, friendly group of folks, and have ties to a few other camps as well. A bunch of us DJ and have a pretty sweet sound system in our main party dome, and throw at least one dance party each year for our neighbors and any passers-by to have a drink, or several!

I love biking in deep playa at night with my hubby and friends, as well as running into new friends in the middle of dust storms. I'm hooked on this amazing, surreal event and have more fun every year!
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:29 pm

I wish you'd introduced yourself here first! I think your well-roundedness would have come through a lot more. Making your own dome is pretty amazing.

I like deep playa biking at night, too (really fast! wheeeee!) and making friends during duststorms too. I didn't realize until 2008 that it was the best possible thing to do. Although I'm not sure I was truly tested by a storm until that year, either. :D

issa bot <3

Post by issa bot <3 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Hello beautiful burners! I myself am attending my first burn this year!! Wahoo!!!! :D I am 25 yrs old and live WAYYY up North...... in Whitehorse, Yukon! No, not Vancouver, that's not even north guys.... lol. Think East of Alaska... :D I love living in the Yukon! I have been here for 6 ish years. There is tons of wilderness and I can walk 15 min and be in the middle of nowhere.... Ahhhh..... It's glorious. :) I am driving to BM this year with one of my very best friends in the whole world! That's right! DRIVING! WAHOO!! 10,000 kms round trip! We have a month off work - 1 week to drive down, 1 week to burn, 1 week in SF & Wine Country, and 1 week to drive home! I have heard of BM for so many years and dreamed of going and this year that dream is becoming a reality! I love my job - I'm a manager for a Telecommunications company for Northern Canada. Today marks my 4 yr anniversary with my company! Hmmm... What else... I'm HELLA EXCITED!!!!! :D My birthday is Aug. 20 (technically that is when I'm turning 25.) and that is my first day of vacation! I think that is pretty DEECE! :) I'm staying at the Time of Your Life camp at 2:50 & Anniversary. Life is good! :) <3

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Welcome to ePlaya! Wow, that sounds like quite a trip - it sounds like each stage of your adventure is going to be awesome. Check out the boards, there are some great people around here that can help you figure out any part of the logistics or answer any hanging questions you may have. Safe travels, and hope to see you out there!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Wow, Issa Bot!

Life IS good.

stinkyfoot

Post by stinkyfoot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 pm

I am Ellie from the SF Bay area, I am 27 and this is my first year, attending with my boyfriend of a year and a half, also his first time. I've been following the event since 2003 and, well, originally thought I was some crazy place where everyone went to take drugs and listen to really loud music in the desert because that's what my friends were doing at the time. So, sort of attracted to it, but sort of terrified as well. Now, that I've got a better idea of what it's all about I've been waiting for the right time and the right person to go with. I'm happily planning out out little camp and provisions, he's getting out transportation ready and we're both stoked to be going this year. Definitely a big deal both both of us personally and a big deal for us as a couple. :D

mskitty63
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Gypsy Witch Camp

Post by mskitty63 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 am

Well, howdy..my default name is Tressa, but most call me Ms Kitty, or Kitty. Lived in Portland, OR for 15 yrs, moved to Reno in '09. (sure is shorter drive to the burn! haha)
2011 will be my 11th year, started in '09, but missed 2 yrs in early 2000. I have camped with Gypsy Witch Camp for 5 or 6 yrs, this year. A great group of seasoned burners who welcome lone travelers, virgins, and unsures to our camp, as long as there is respect and isnt any hard drugs or violence IN our camp. I camp with them for this reason.
It is a spiritual place for me and love how we are accepted, loved, share without expectations. I have broke ribs, dislocated a knee, twisted an ankle or 2 or 3, bit the dust, and still go on. I have met friends from all over the world, dust storms are a great time to also do this (and yell yeeehaawww!). I didn't go with expectations then, nor do I now.
I make 'moop' bags from material and pass them out. These are for moop, cameras, water, chapstick, other gifts..whatever you like. I have made necklaces, kahluha, salsa too, all to share and gift. Photography is a side hobby and this is a great place to do it.
Welcome one and all, please be safe and love one another..! Ms Kitty'11
[color=#400080]Life, family, Mother Earth, the Playa are all treasured. Be kind to them all.[/color]

Raymaker

Post by Raymaker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:45 am

Hello, you started in '99 not '09 :)

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 am

Maybe she's got a time machine, or will someday ;)

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:50 am

stinkyfoot wrote:I am Ellie from the SF Bay area, I am 27 and this is my first year, attending with my boyfriend of a year and a half, also his first time. I've been following the event since 2003 and, well, originally thought I was some crazy place where everyone went to take drugs and listen to really loud music in the desert because that's what my friends were doing at the time. So, sort of attracted to it, but sort of terrified as well. Now, that I've got a better idea of what it's all about I've been waiting for the right time and the right person to go with. I'm happily planning out out little camp and provisions, he's getting out transportation ready and we're both stoked to be going this year. Definitely a big deal both both of us personally and a big deal for us as a couple. :D
Hi Ellie! Glad to hear this is your year.

You may have seen this link about relationships on the playa, but if not, it'll be handy.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ships.html

Return to “The Greeter's Station”