Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
mhb1225

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by mhb1225 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm

trilobyte, thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to try that out!

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Hoorray!!! Lots of introduction in the last 24 hours!!! What ever happened to folks having their very own introduction thread?

Hello kelizabeth, Sorry you're making Frenemies before friends! But its great to have you on ePlaya either way!

Welcome Issa Bot! You My friend sound awesome! I really hope to run into you on playa!

Hey Stinkyfoot (aka ellie) I love your name! You need to hit up the How did you get your playa name Thread and tell us all about it!!! Hopefully it has nothing to do with raunchy foot fungus!

Ms. Kitty its great when veteran burners finally join eplaya! We're happy to have you!

Welcome to all the new folks!
If you want you can go start your very own introductory thread!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:08 pm

kelizabeth wrote:Hi!

I think I'm making frenemies on the ticket 2011 boards, so I thought I'd waddle over here and introduce myself all proper.
I'm glad you did! Once the event is past & the tickepocalypse is long gone I hope you stick around the boards- just from the bit you've posted here & little bits you've said in other threads it's obvious you have a lot of knowledge to share. Bottom line, that's usually what this board is about.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 pm

mskitty63 wrote:Well, howdy..my default name is Tressa, but most call me Ms Kitty, or Kitty. Lived in Portland, OR for 15 yrs, moved to Reno in '09. (sure is shorter drive to the burn! haha)
2011 will be my 11th year, started in '09, but missed 2 yrs in early 2000. I have camped with Gypsy Witch Camp for 5 or 6 yrs, this year. A great group of seasoned burners who welcome lone travelers, virgins, and unsures to our camp, as long as there is respect and isnt any hard drugs or violence IN our camp. I camp with them for this reason.
It is a spiritual place for me and love how we are accepted, loved, share without expectations. I have broke ribs, dislocated a knee, twisted an ankle or 2 or 3, bit the dust, and still go on. I have met friends from all over the world, dust storms are a great time to also do this (and yell yeeehaawww!). I didn't go with expectations then, nor do I now.
I make 'moop' bags from material and pass them out. These are for moop, cameras, water, chapstick, other gifts..whatever you like. I have made necklaces, kahluha, salsa too, all to share and gift. Photography is a side hobby and this is a great place to do it.
Welcome one and all, please be safe and love one another..! Ms Kitty'11
Hi Ms Kitty! Welcome to the board . . .

I love it that you make bags for people; it's a great present. A lot of people forget to bring them. And a bag increases the likelihood that someone with a (clear) baggie full of wipes will actually exit the portapotty with with said baggie politely concealed, rather than stuff it down the john in embarrassment. I think most of the bathroom offenders are more embarrassed rather than simply unable to read signs.
Last edited by Savannah on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Eric wrote:

I think I'm making frenemies on the ticket 2011 boards, so I thought I'd waddle over here and introduce myself all proper.
I'm glad you did! Once the event is past & the tickepocalypse is long gone I hope you stick around the boards- just from the bit you've posted here & little bits you've said in other threads it's obvious you have a lot of knowledge to share. Bottom line, that's usually what this board is about.
Sharing knowledge..... and Eric making jokes about his boy friends. :wink:
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:52 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Eric wrote:

Sharing knowledge..... and Eric making jokes about his boy friends. :wink:
Hey, I crack an occasional joke about my wife as well!

We're actually getting a lot of enthusiastic newbies in this thread! Makes me happy!
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Hell yeah! I totally agree!

Remember the conversation we had about one or two good newbies coming out of the tickepocalypse?

kelizabeth

Post by kelizabeth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm

illy dilly wrote:Hell yeah! I totally agree!

Remember the conversation we had about one or two good newbies coming out of the tickepocalypse?
As I've said before, I've lurked this board for years for tips and advice. The "tickepocalypse" was simply the catalyst to get me to start an account and open my loud mouth.
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:41 pm

illy dilly wrote:Hell yeah! I totally agree!

Funny... I had that exact same conversation with Trilobyte over PM. :D

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

stinkyfoot

Post by stinkyfoot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Savannah wrote:You may have seen this link about relationships on the playa, but if not, it'll be handy.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ships.html
Haha, I have read it, I suspect my boyfriend has as well since he tends to obsessively research things like I do, and I do expect we'll either come out of this event in flame or at a new level of coupleyness, from which we will progenate many totally awesome projects.
illy dilly wrote:Hey Stinkyfoot (aka ellie) I love your name! You need to hit up the How did you get your playa name Thread and tell us all about it!!! Hopefully it has nothing to do with raunchy foot fungus!
It is not a playa name, although it does have that ring to it. It is not because of terrible foot fungus either, thankfully. I don't really wear shoes or walk around barefoot in gym showers enough to contract anything truly horrible. It's from hiking around at the beach with lots of stinky, seaweed infested water pools and streams. I think you can figure out the rest. :D

I've been reading 'The Tribes of Burning Man' and I'm at the part where they debate whether it's the art of the community that keeps the event together. Well for me, I don't think I would bother to go if it weren't for the community, the gift economy and the fact that the whole thing takes place in what look like some kind of beautiful extraterrestrial landscape. If you can tell that I read a lot of Robinson and Delaney then you probably need to get out more. I know I do.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 pm

. . . in flame or at a new level of coupleyness, from which we will progenate many totally awesome projects.
Yes! :lol:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 pm

I think there's something inherently wrong with using the word apocalypse with regards to tickets. It's Burning Man, it's already an apocalypse! I've been using either Ticket Mayhem, or Ticket Madness (said like the Ren character from the Ren & Stimpy cartoon would say "space madness!"). :D

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 am

trilobyte wrote:I think there's something inherently wrong with using the word apocalypse with regards to tickets. It's Burning Man, it's already an apocalypse! I've been using either Ticket Mayhem, or Ticket Madness (said like the Ren character from the Ren & Stimpy cartoon would say "space madness!"). :D
I still like "Perfect Blamestorm 2011". ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Audio Sam Ego
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by Audio Sam Ego » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 am

Great day to you! My name is Audio Sam Ego and I'm from Bakersfield CA. I'm 50 years old and act like 20. I like to drive fast and listen to all types of music. This will be my first Burn. I'm in recovery and will have 6 years clean and sober on August 20th, 2011.
You can't argue with people who don't know what the f*ck they're talking about.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Audio Sam Ego! Welcome to the board . . .

If you're truly a speed demon, be really careful the closer you get to Black Rock City. Local law enforcement is quite serious about the posted limits (25mph in Gerlach) . . . and if you get a speeding ticket on tribal land, they will expect you to post the fine immediately. Note that highway 447 and 34 are pretty common places for accidents on the way in. 447 is very twisty, and features cows. :) Page 16 of the printed version of the 2010 Survival Guide has more info. The 2011 guide . . . well, should be available any day now.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

I don't know if you'll need any reinforcement out there after 6 years, but a lot of people Burn Sober, & there are resources available.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... sober.html
Last edited by Savannah on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:53 am

trilobyte wrote:I think there's something inherently wrong with using the word apocalypse with regards to tickets. It's Burning Man, it's already an apocalypse! I've been using either Ticket Mayhem, or Ticket Madness (said like the Ren character from the Ren & Stimpy cartoon would say "space madness!"). :D
I believe associated the "apocalypse" term to the Ticket Mayhem, is not so much to say that there actually was any sort of "apocalypse" as much to make social commentary on the situation.
Always when people believe there is any sort o Apocalypse coming they act foolish. Couple of examples, Y2K, earlier this year, 2012 Mayan calendar.
Is there any sort of Apocalypse, no. Do people act foolish and crazy as if the world were coming to an end, yes.
People rushed out and paid astronomical prices for tickets, similarly to how people rush out and pay astronomical prices for bull shit, when there is "Impending doom".
But Ticket Fiasco, Ticket Madness, and such are more literally accurate descriptions, but the connotation that comes with an "apocalypse" is what drives Tickepocalypse.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

illy dilly wrote:
I believe associated the "apocalypse" term to the Ticket Mayhem, is not so much to say that there actually was any sort of "apocalypse" as much to make social commentary on the situation.
Always when people believe there is any sort o Apocalypse coming they act foolish. Couple of examples, Y2K, earlier this year, 2012 Mayan calendar.
Is there any sort of Apocalypse, no. Do people act foolish and crazy as if the world were coming to an end, yes.
People rushed out and paid astronomical prices for tickets, similarly to how people rush out and pay astronomical prices for bull shit, when there is "Impending doom".
But Ticket Fiasco, Ticket Madness, and such are more literally accurate descriptions, but the connotation that comes with an "apocalypse" is what drives Tickepocalypse.
Having just finished a book on the cultural weight that St. John's Apocalypse has, and how it still affects us, I cannot but help but feel that we have this idea of impending doom (that might lead to a paradise on earth) that we snapped the whole ticket trauma into, making our dealing with it less rational, and more hysteria-generating than it actually is.
I've wondered if I should start a broader discussion about the event and apocalyptic (or apokaliptik) thinking.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 am

I think that might prove interesting.

I do think most of humanity has a default Doom! DOOM! chip built in, which evolved for a reason or two.

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:28 am

theCryptofishist wrote: I cannot but help but feel that we have this idea of impending doom (that might lead to a paradise on earth) that we snapped the whole ticket trauma into, making our dealing with it less rational, and more hysteria-generating than it actually is.
I've wondered if I should start a broader discussion about the event and apocalyptic (or apokaliptik) thinking.
O yeah, I agree 100%. There was no ticket apocalypse, just good old fashioned high demand- low supply. But people freaked out! Why else would you pay 10 grand for 2 tickets.
I think that it would be a little early to start another thread about the ticket fiasco. A bunch of folks would chime in restating the obvious that all that really happened was "high demand- low supply". Or it would turn into another "I hate ticket moochers thread"
Though, I believe that when we all get back to defaltia, and all the ticket hype is long gone, would be a great time to look back and analyze/discuss the "apocalypse" mentality that turned it into a shit show.

Unless you meant start a thread about "Apocalyptic" events in general. In which case its never too late, cause we all know the world is gonna end next year. :wink:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 am

I think the reason I tend to associate Burning Man with the apocalyptic is that it has the look and feel of some of my favorite post-apocalyptic films (such as Mad Max/Road Warrior, etc). Where DIY meets state of the art in design, tech, and of course art. To me, it feels like the party at the end of the universe. In fairness, though, I consider myself to be pro-apocalypse. Regardless of when it happens or how and what exactly goes down (the word actually translates to 'revelation' - so it could just be some kind of major shift), but I'm curious to see how it unfolds. :)

Frostyfire

Post by Frostyfire » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:38 am

lo all Frosty here
who told me about this site : its all Foxfurs fault

tell yall bout me huh !? mkay
36 y/o gay guy
caregiver to my mom
pot grower (legaly. mom is a licenced patient so im covered under her licence)
burner virgin
avid poi spinner. i discovered it 2 weeks before metropolis.

yes i will be spinning at the foot of the man this year and i intend to bring something truly beautiful to the playa
"the universe is as it should be"
"we live , we learn , we grow "

KeywordSher

Post by KeywordSher » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am

does anybody know how to get there? :roll:

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 am

I tend to fly my magic carpet to the phone booth Maxwell Smart uses to get into CONTROL Headquarters and make sure it stops on the Burning Man floor first.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:04 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I tend to fly my magic carpet to the phone booth Maxwell Smart uses to get into CONTROL Headquarters and make sure it stops on the Burning Man floor first.
Can you make that route public on Google Maps?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 am

trilobyte wrote:I think the reason I tend to associate Burning Man with the apocalyptic is that it has the look and feel of some of my favorite post-apocalyptic films (such as Mad Max/Road Warrior, etc).
WEll, after reading this book, I have to say that it's completely possible that Mad Max is a manifestation of the way that the idea of the apocalypse perpetuates itself in our minds. I suppose "meme" is a good description.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

peteybee

Post by peteybee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello my name is PeteyBee and I am from the little town of North Bend in the beautiful Cascade foothills of wonderous Washington State. I work in medical imaging for a living and while this job is somewhat "techie" and "clinical" I prefer to be in nature and feel a strong connection to the earth and all its wonderous and eternal cyclical power. I am turning my home into a huge flower and herb garden and would love to be able to grow hemp for its incredible versatility and medicinal qualities just like the earlier Americans however I am justifiably paranoid of the insane federal domestic drug policies so I will abstain from that activity out of respect for both my freedom and the integrity of my anal sphincter muscle and sigmoid. But I digress: does anyone have any tix for sale to BM? I need 2. Peaceout!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Peteybee, welcome to the board. You need the 2011 Tickets forum.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=190

and this:

!!READ ME!! Find 'Tickets Offered' Threads!
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 90&t=42348

There are other threads about How Not to Get Scammed. Read them. :)

Sellers don't check this forum; they have all the email and private messages they can handle, and don't have time. Don't forget to tell all your friends you're looking, and keep at it. Best of luck.

peteybee

Post by peteybee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:29 pm

OK and thanks Savannah! :P

kelizabeth

Post by kelizabeth » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Savannah wrote:Hi Audio Sam Ego! Welcome to the board . . .

If you're truly a speed demon, be really careful the closer you get to Black Rock City. Local law enforcement is quite serious about the posted limits (25mph in Gerlach) . . . and if you get a speeding ticket on tribal land, they will expect you to post the fine immediately. Note that highway 447 and 34 are pretty common places for accidents on the way in. 447 is very twisty, and features cows. :) Page 16 of the printed version of the 2010 Survival Guide has more info. The 2011 guide . . . well, should be available any day now.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... index.html

I don't know if you'll need any reinforcement out there after 6 years, but a lot of people Burn Sober, & there are resources available.
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... sober.html
I received a ticket last year for going over the speed limit by 9MPH just after pulling out of the gas station near empire. Asshole gave me a sober driver t-shirt as a door prize with my ticket. For being sober. I still have it, I think. *sigh*

Lesson: DRIVE REALLY SLOW.
"Defiance and resistance are illegal. Therein lies the salvation of man. Everything illegal necessitates integrity, self-reliance, and courage."
Emma Goldman

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:08 pm

kelizabeth wrote:I received a ticket last year for going over the speed limit by 9MPH just after pulling out of the gas station near empire. Asshole gave me a sober driver t-shirt as a door prize with my ticket. For being sober. I still have it, I think. *sigh*

Lesson: DRIVE REALLY SLOW.
WOW, thats stupid that you got a ticket for speeding less than 10mph, but thats awesome that he gave a you shirt that said Sober Driver!

But it makes ya think. How fucked up are things, where instead of punishing people for driving intoxicated, we're rewarding people for not breaking the law.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”