Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Lollipop
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Light and Illusion

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by Lollipop » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Welcome Curvy. What part of Nor Cal are you from?
Thank you. The Sacramento area.
"You ARE The Good Witch Lollipop!"

http://istoppedtryingtopleaseyou.blogspot.com

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 am

LochTessMonster wrote:Hey Everyone!
My name is Tess. I love hooping, sewing, coffee, dreads, pizza, fire spinning, and layers. I live in Moorhead MN and would love to meet some Burners from around here!
Happy Burning!
Hi Tess! :D

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Hello, all.

Well, I've gone and done it. After four years of yearning, bucking against tight work schedules and moving across (and among) continents and other (totally lame) excuses, I've finally gone and committed myself to attending TTITD this year.

I like maps, science, mad science, sewing, cooking, karaoke, hiking, and camping. As a photographer and cyclist, I'm in the throes of deciding whether or not to bring my camera and bike along to BM, but there's time to make that decision. Right now, I'll just proceed to dance around the apartment in giddy excitement that I'm finally going (!).

I may camp in HushVille if I'm feeling particularly self-reliant come spring, but I love to cook for others so I'm also considering theme camps. I might apply to CouchBurners' Camp, as I've been participating in Couchsurfing for four years now and love that community.

My goals for participating on the playa are 1) lamplighting at least one night (oh... I could camp with those guys'n'gals too...); 2) delivering mail for the BRC Post Office as a PedEX courier; and 3) leaving the rest of the week totally unplanned for spontaneous art, participation, and general experience.

PS - Lest the signature confuse anyone, I'm definitely on the female end of the gender spectrum. I just like to "be prepared" and be adventure-y, hence drawing comparisons to the Boy Scouts. :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice intro! Hi Ensimismada.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:25 pm

Welcome to e-playa, Female End Of The Gender Spectrum! :wink:
No-one can make decisions for you, but my thought would be to leave the camera in the default world your first year. You may not want to complicate your first week in BRC with the care and feed of your Kodak.
And a "good" bicycle does not belong in BRC. There is a lot of "borrowing" of bikes, and the dust is corrosive. Bring a clunker (but well tuned with good tires).
:D

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi, I'm Ratty. 2012 will be my 3rd trip to BM. All my life I've been a costumer. I have a real job but sewing is my love/hobby/therapy. I camp alone. A week of accounting only to ME is the opposite of my defaltia. I've made some friends and we camp near each other for fun and support.

2010 I didn't go. Silly me. I thought going every year was too disruptive and time consuming. I sat staring at the live feed. I'll never miss another year. Once there I 'work' in the dome for Kostume Kult and at Center Camp a couple of shifts in the coffee station. This year I'ld like to try Pottie Patrol too.

I made one of those diaramas in tinytropolis a couple years ago and I am looking for another contribution to make. Besides gifting costumes I decorate regular umbrellas to be flowing parasols, make face masks, wigs from stuffed animals and tutus from everything else.

When people ask about BM I tell em It's a week in the desert and 51 weeks till I get to go again.
Last edited by Ratty on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 pm

It's so funny to see you in the Welcome thread after dazzling everyone with your creativity in another thread, but it's excellent to have a chance to say

HELLO, RATTY! :mrgreen:

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:02 pm

It never occurred to me to introduce myself. (How rude of me). I saw it suggested to someone else and thought it would be nice to blab a bit. When I have more time I'll read about everybody. Nice to meet you ALL.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:05 pm

I never officially delurked, myself. :D

Lughnasa

Post by Lughnasa » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey, all. Lugnasa here. After years of BM being on my list of 30 Things to do Before I'm 30, and then 40 Things to do Before I'm 40 ... It's once again landed on my current list, 50 Things to do before I'm 50. And this is the year. The last two years have been crazy. Adventurous, but crazy. After being laid off from my state university professorship, I ended up in Shanghai, China, teaching English for a newly created ESL school for kids (run by THE Mouse). Up through the ranks and now find myself the academic manager/boss of the center here in Nanjing, China. Within these last two years here in China, I've reconnected with an old college friend, Kate, who's married with a kid. During a casual social network conversation we discovered our hopes to one day attend BM. And now we're in the lottery and will be there (hopefully). We're excited, freaked out, and giddy with anticipation. Oh, and after a year of shitty chemotherapy here in China for early stage colon cancer, I was diagnosed cancer-free on January 3rd. Perspecitve is everything. And with this new perspective, I will greet you at BM with open arms and a clean colon. :P

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey Lughnasa!

Intro stories don't get much more interesting than that! Congratulations on your diagnosis, your perspective, and your vacation plans. :D

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:29 pm

:D
And when you get to the Black Rock City gate, tell them Walt sent you. :D

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:40 am

curvyburner wrote:
Hi there! In not at work and my children are occupied now so here's more about me:) I'm a poly wife to a man who suffers from depression and ADHD who's finally going to try medication, mom to a son who's 13 and also suffers from depression and ADHD, as well as a learning disability, and IS medicated, the mother of a goofy, bright 10 year old girl I'm trying to raise with self confidence (so far so good), I'm from an alternative family (my dad and brother are gay, mom is straight), I'm working for non-profit mental health and wellness center, & I'm raising my children with open minds. I hope to be a birgin at bm 2012! I'm heading to burning man with my bf and a group of poly friends, possibly staying with the theme camp the bf camped with last year. I can feel the pull though I've never been. How could that be? I want to go and just be the purest form of me, which I don't ever really get to be in my world because I spend my days battling my codependency and caring for everyone else. Not mother or wife, or clinical services coordinator, just for one week, just a lover who likes to laugh and dance. I plan to dance my way around the playa. I think it's also a wonderful chance to work on my issues with receiving gifts, shyness, and my innate introversion. I also plan to give, and I'm trying to figure out what. I'm also trying to figure out how to NOT have heat stroke, which I am prone to. I'll be chatting with my doctor. A tall order, no? Thanks for listening! Now back to your regularly scheduled greeting board :)

dirty-roots

Post by dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 am

hey hows it goin im luke 27 from the u.k ive been a tarpaulinist since i left school now starting my own business in it. not many people have heard of this job so ill give you the lowdown i make and repair things made of p.v.c and canvas i.e marquees, lorry tilts, yurts,tipi's boat and trailer cover pretty much anything you can think of made of such materials ie also got sum minor carpenty skills. i love building and making things love the satisfaction of stepping back n thinking yep i had a hand in that! :P

i love music love festivals love gettin involved been looking into burning man for a while love the concept big smiles :)

look forward to meeting you all

roots ;) x
you can open any door as long as you have the kay

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 am

Hi dirty-roots! Welcome!

dirty-roots

Post by dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:12 am

curvyburner wrote:Hi dirty-roots! Welcome!

hey curvyb glad to be here ;) x

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 am

dirty-roots, you might want to go directly to the "camping and shelter" sub-section of the preparation forum. A whole lot of tarps there...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

dirty-roots

Post by dirty-roots » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:dirty-roots, you might want to go directly to the "camping and shelter" sub-section of the preparation forum. A whole lot of tarps there...

hey crypto thanks if i can lend a hand i will

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Ratty, your awesome "use what you have" costuming thread was part of what convinced me to stop my months (and years) of lurking and finally get an account and introduce myself!

@Savannah, @elliot: Thanks for the warm welcome. :D
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:32 pm

Where? What costuming thread? :)

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Never mind. Used my brain. Found it. :)

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm

curvyburner wrote:
curvyburner wrote:
Hi there! In not at work and my children are occupied now so here's more about me:) I'm a poly wife to a man who suffers from depression and ADHD who's finally going to try medication, mom to a son who's 13 and also suffers from depression and ADHD, as well as a learning disability, and IS medicated, the mother of a goofy, bright 10 year old girl I'm trying to raise with self confidence (so far so good), I'm from an alternative family (my dad and brother are gay, mom is straight), I'm working for non-profit mental health and wellness center, & I'm raising my children with open minds. I hope to be a birgin at bm 2012! I'm heading to burning man with my bf and a group of poly friends, possibly staying with the theme camp the bf camped with last year. I can feel the pull though I've never been. How could that be? I want to go and just be the purest form of me, which I don't ever really get to be in my world because I spend my days battling my codependency and caring for everyone else. Not mother or wife, or clinical services coordinator, just for one week, just a lover who likes to laugh and dance. I plan to dance my way around the playa. I think it's also a wonderful chance to work on my issues with receiving gifts, shyness, and my innate introversion. I also plan to give, and I'm trying to figure out what. I'm also trying to figure out how to NOT have heat stroke, which I am prone to. I'll be chatting with my doctor. A tall order, no? Thanks for listening! Now back to your regularly scheduled greeting board :)
Curvyburner,
I'm glad to hear you'll be working on taking care of yourself at this burn, instead of taking care of everyone else! You might remember things about yourself out there you'd forgotten. :)

The Keeping Cool forum will be right up your alley.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=280

And good idea, talking to your doctor about your propensity for heat stroke/heat exhaustion. You might like to get some opinions on electrolyte drinks and powders from him or her--perhaps the heavy duty kind runners and cyclists use. If you run into trouble, you can be seen at the medical stations at 3:00 & C street, 9:00 & C street, or just off of Center Camp. There's no charge unless you're evacuated for treatment off-playa.

A good parasol and copious amounts of simple low-end stuff like Gatorade and Pedialyte made 2011 my most hydrated burn.

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Thank you so much Savannah! I didn't even know about the Keeping Cool forum. I'm on my way there now! I just got a parasol and I've ordered a SPF golf umbrella, good for windy conditions. ;) I'll look into the electrolytes. Good suggestions, all! I do hope to remember some things about myself. :)

zombiegrease

Post by zombiegrease » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:05 pm

hello, my name is noah~ i'm from seattle washington. my talents include (but are not limited to) gurgling lurching and groaning, using bodypaint to transform into a superhero, and falling down with style. i like black licorice, and want to be a cowboy when i grow up. this will hopefully be my first year attending burningman, anybody want a peanut?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:07 pm

ensimismada wrote:Ratty, your awesome "use what you have" costuming thread was part of what convinced me to stop my months (and years) of lurking and finally get an account and introduce myself!
Wow. It's odd what sort of chain reactions occur.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:17 pm

zombiegrease wrote:hello, my name is noah~ i'm from seattle washington. my talents include (but are not limited to) gurgling lurching and groaning, using bodypaint to transform into a superhero, and falling down with style. i like black licorice, and want to be a cowboy when i grow up. this will hopefully be my first year attending burningman, anybody want a peanut?
Hi Noah! :D

Lurching comes in handy on the playa. Staggering is also recommended.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 pm

*note to self: pack anti-zombie gear*
The Lady with a Lamprey

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:37 pm

"How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself."

Am I just too distracted, or is subscribing to a topic beyond me? I'm pretty comp savvy and I can't find any link as stated above. Help please?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Scroll to the very bottom of the page. It's next to the "Board Index" link.

I think.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Scroll to the very bottom of the page. It's next to the "Board Index" link.

I think.
Criminy! I searched all up and down the top and sides. *facepalm*

Thank you theCryptofishist :)

Return to “The Greeter's Station”