Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
jscott26

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Post by jscott26 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks guys!

Yeah when I was up and about it wasn't that bad. But when I would wake up in the afternoon (hungover sometimes) my tent would be really hot. This year I'm going to build a Monkeyhut so that doesn't happen (to the same extent)!

russelldthomas

Post by russelldthomas » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:30 am

Hey there. My name is Russell from Wales in the UK. Have known about BM for years but have only now done some research about coming over this year with some friends for my birthday. It would be great to get to know some of you. Apologies in advance for any stupid questions that i'm going to ask such as 'Is it possible to still get tickets?' I guess the more i read of these forums and the site i'm sure most of the answers will come to me.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:47 am

Welcome, Russell!

Virtually all the answers are indeed here on either ePlaya or the main site, and the more you appear to have attempted research, the nicer people are about filling in the blanks.

Ticket info is here:
http://tickets.burningman.com/

as well as in the 2012 Event Tickets forum.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewforum.php?f=289
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:54 pm

We have a woman, called Chyenne, who's from Wales.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

(^o^)

Post by (^o^) » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi everyone!
I have a question for the first timers. Since this is the place for the newbies I'd like to ask if you have any expectations of how black rock city citizens are going to treat us new comers? I just want to know what you all think...

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:14 pm

There are a sizable number of virgins every year. I'll take a wild guess and say up to 15-20% at any given time (because not all seasoned Burners attend every year). So, you are not alone. Most people will smile to know you're new, and the folks at the Greeters station are especially happy to see virgins (Greeters is your 2nd stop in the city, after Gate--which is where they take your ticket & search your car).

If you're well-prepared, people can't necessarily tell you're new (stealth virgins!). This is considered impressive, btw--being so well-prepared that your status as a newbie isn't obvious. So prepare to the teeth, but know that being a virgin is not shameful. We were all virgins at one point. The playa is not utopia, but it is a very smiley, friendly place for the most part. More so than any other city I've ever been to.

Negative things that are (sometimes) correlated with being new: being unprepared, having a poor attitude, letting even tiny particles of trash (MOOP) hit the ground, marketing products or otherwise contradicting the 10 Principles, failing to participate, i.e. being a spectator. It's also considered extra rude to hover a few inches over a porta potty seat and leave it anything but perfectly dry. :)

Sugahoneyicetea

Post by Sugahoneyicetea » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey. My name is Erik, me and my brother have registered for tickets and are dying to find out if were goin :D
If we get them..we'll be coming all the way from the east coast.
cant wait to see it all for myself. I hope its as fantastic as you all make it seem.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey Erik--good luck with the tickets! Except for those of us who did well in the holiday pre-sale, we're all on pins and needles here, too. The latest news is that 1/21 and 2/1 will be the next ticket-drawing days.

I hope the event will be as fantastic for you as we make it sound, too . . . though the best way to make sure you aren't let down by the experience is actually to release your expectations. (Easier said than done.) Because you could have an amazing time, or an okay time, or you could hate it. :) Finding out is part of the adventure.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Savannah wrote:The latest news is that 1/21 and 2/1 will be the next ticket-drawing days.
Either she meant 1/31 or she's messing with our heads.

Again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:15 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Savannah wrote:The latest news is that 1/21 and 2/1 will be the next ticket-drawing days.
Either she meant 1/31 or she's messing with our heads.

Again.
You passed the test!

[youtube][/youtube]

Nah, it was a typo. :) Ticket drawings are 1/31 and 2/1.

OUtback UFO
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Nexicon Portal

Post by OUtback UFO » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Savannah wrote:Hi OUtback UFO! :D

Here's a good starting place for photographers--if you haven't seen yet. Etiquette, Protecting your Equipment, Lighting Conditions, etc.

PHOTOGRAPHY AT BURNING MAN
http://www.burningman.com/press/photo_guide.html

Thanks Savannah....will look over the link for thoughts on etiquette... always good to do your homework...

That fine dust is a pain for all any equipment... found that out traveling by motorcycle across the remote areas of the Outback. :D
From out of a dream I rode to beyond the Horizon. Got Adventure? The Zen Gear One Meteior Crater surrounded by a lot of roos, emus, Yowies, drop bears and one major flood in the driest desert on Earth... There still was a bottle of red with dinner.

kalenalorraine

Allow me to introduce myself

Post by kalenalorraine » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi, my name is Kalena and I'm from Seattle. Although I have been interested in BM for years, 2011 was my first Burn. I've registered for tickets to this years Burn as well, and am crossing my fingers in hopes for a ticket. Last year being my first year, I decided to hook up with local burners and decided to camp with LEGOBAR, in hopes to get more acquainted with what to expect from BM. This year, I've decided that I would like to explore more radical self reliance by having my own small camp with just my partner and maybe a few close friends. Although camping with a larger camp definitely had it's perks (shower, dome for kitchen, sink, stove and some meals), I couldn't help but feel like LEGOBAR wasn't the best fit for me.
I'm extremely excited to start my own projects this year, and have the plans for a few already in place as far as building a dome that will house our little kitchen, and ideas for an evaporation pond. I feel like my focus this year will be mostly on figuring out the logistics of having my own camp, and (unfortunately) less on art, which is the main reason why I love BM so much. I can't help but look forward to BM 2013, as hopefully it will be the year that I will have had most of the logistical kinks ironed out, and focus more on the creative side of art, instead of mainly practical applications.
I am wide open, and would greatly appreciate any tips or advice for anything BM related, specifically if they relate to building/shade construction, water/resource conservation, shower setup, evaporation techniques, ways to protect cameras, food storage and anything you think might be a bit of good advice for someone who is having their own camp for the first time. :D
Thanks so much for letting me introduce myself!! I sincerely look forward to making connections with you soon!!

See you at Home,
Kalena

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Kalena! Welcome to the board. :)

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Welcome to the board. I am from Seattle as well if you ever want to chat or grab a cuppa go ahead and hit me up in PM.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.

Thorormr
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Post by Thorormr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:40 am

Greetings.

I am a twenty year veteran of living history organizations, currently been a member of the SCA for ten(ish?) and only recently have looked into the Burning Man. "That Video" was crossposted through my G+ which was not the first time I had heard of Burning Man, but piqued my curiosity enough to really look into it. So of course I found my way to the main site, read the history of the event, the mission, the 10 Principles and other things for about the last two weeks. For me it will be a 2600 mile road trip each way and I can choose a suburban with the factory extra capacity radiator, factory oil cooler, 40 gallon fuel tank(range of 520 miles) and expect to spend $1400 in fuel to get there and back . . . or a Toyota pickup with 330,000 miles (never say die 22RE. . .), a 12 gallon fuel tank and enough tweaks to squeeze 372 miles between fill ups. Definitely not planning to make it this year, but have it penciled in for 2013 (I'll be 13*3, rather interesting I think). I should be able to make a regional, I'm about four hours out from Playa del Fuego, Transformus and Frostburn. In fact I know the site Frostburn goes on at, I was just there for two weeks in August with the SCA.

My camping style is not exactly minimalist, though in the SCA most do consider me a minimalist. I don't need a pavilion, king size bed, etc, though I did have a very period (11th century Norse, my username here is part of my registered SCA name) camp set up before my big FUBAR in 2010. I do use an eight man tent for just ol' me, but I sleep on a single cot. All my gear lives in footlockers. Everything is packed and ready to go save for a stop for water, food and ice. Although, my butane stove is useless this time of year so I'd have to repack with the propane. I'm thinking about adding a monkeyhut, it fits my somewhat survivalist mentality better than buying an ez-up. Compared to other SCAdians, I am a MOOP nazi, and was somewhat gratified to read it in the Principles. I also pack in everything I need and have always had the policy of not leaving to get more stuff. I either have it or don't, and if I don't, then live without it or discover a way to work around not having it. My camp setup SOP is to pitch my tent, drop my gear, set up my cot as fast as I can, then refill my water bottle, grab some carbs, and wander around with my hammer and get other folks' tents up.

The past year has had me asking the easy but hard to answer questions, and without knowing, a lot of my life has come into resonance with the 10 Principles. Never having read them before very recently was something akin to deja vu. "Hey, I do that too!" My greatest struggle has been finding people of like minds to network, share ideas and collaborate with. I'm not fitting well with the SCA (as an org) anymore. It's high time to broaden the horizons.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:55 am

:D
Welcome Thor!
I rarely hear mention of the Society for Creative Anachronism around here, but one or two of us do claim Old Norse heritage.

Definitely drive the Suburban -- the vehicle with the best chance of actually getting there.
:D
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Thorormr! Welcome. Great intro!

I am a large tent single cot person myself. Everything in bins. /random. :)

Your instinct to do a monkey hut is a wise one. They're much sturdier than an EZ-Up.

Monti

Post by Monti » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 am

Hi,
I am Monti, I have making my pilgrimage to the desert since 2004. I recognize many of the names and avatars of those online today and making posts regarding the Terminal Village Camps.

I thought I would register and interact a bit this year. Still waiting on my ticket.
Shut up and think about it before you say something.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 am

Hi Monti! :D

I actually think I made it out to Terminal Village (knowingly, anyway) for the first time last year.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Well, since it's the New Center Camp, I should hope so!
The Lady with a Lamprey

iconoplastyfervor

Post by iconoplastyfervor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi I am the Reverend Iconoplasty Fervor, Pope Synchronicity the Next
I hope I meet everyone who reads this. It is not my religion (SLACK) that makes me a BM virgin for so long, but the bear of economics. Fuck it this year, making small sacrifices to go experience big things. Hello Burning Man, Lottery Please be kind tomorrow or the next day...
Drinking for my blood type.

Fuse is lit, Ray. Windows are up.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Heyyy Reverend Iconoplasty Fervor, Pope Synchronicity the Next!

Don't ask me to kiss your papal ring or anything, 'cause I'm like a thieving magpie for the shiny stuff, but welcome to the board and good luck in your ticketquest!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Can we have inter-papal wrestling with Pope Lenny?
The Lady with a Lamprey

inthecolumbiagorge

Post by inthecolumbiagorge » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi, I am Susy and if we get tickets in the lottery 2012 will be our first burn! Home is the amazingly beautiful Columbia Gorge in WA state and if we are lucky enough to get to burn this year we will be bringing an interactive art installation with over 50 sail boards on revolving/articulating/stationary stands that allow you to hop on and with the wind blowing have at least a semblance of what it feels to sail on a sailboard:-) Burning Man has been on my to do list some years and of course we had to choose the year the try the lottery thing to be our first (which burns me big time!!!) but we are hopeful that somehow we will find the necessary 6 tickets for my family members to be there regardless. There is no question that we will be prepared if we get our sought after tickets, prepared should probably be my middle name:-) We have friends that are in some of the large camps but will be probably be most happy in our own camp and have our time free to do/see/experience all that Burning Man has to offer! My daughters and I have been working on festival wear since we decided last year that we would be going and we will bring as much as possible to share with those that may not have been quite as proactive as us:-) I look forward most of all to meeting so many like minded people from all walks of life and locations who come together to form such a magical place as Black Rock City!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Susy! :D

SnogginMonster

Post by SnogginMonster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Rhiannon, and this will (fingers crossed) be my second year and the bf's 3rd.
I like faux fur hats, gin and tonics, and my big dumb dog. The boy and I love festivals and are regulars at Coachella and Sasquatch.
Now that I've said hello, you can find me in the lottery thread freaking out. J/k!! (sorta ;))

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Rhiannon! Welcome to the madness! :D Good luck with your tickets.

I almost typed "rickets". That would have been awesome.

strange love
Burning Since: 2011

Post by strange love » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello my Burning Man fam! Rites of passage was my first burn and it was the most amazing thing I have ever participated in. Looking foward to another amazing burn, see ya on the playa :)

SnogginMonster

Post by SnogginMonster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi Susy!
I recognize your name from the coachella message boards that I like to obsessively follow. I believe you were the one with issues about them letting your group camp together last year..hopefully it's a better system this year!
Anywho, you seem like a pretty rad lady-the bf and I would love to have a beverage with ya at coachella or Sasquatch this year if you're there :)

achehorn

Post by achehorn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:31 pm

I've been lurking all shifty eyed and secret like in the forum shadows... until now!

I held off just in case I didn't get a ticket. But, thankfully, my ticket came through this evening and that anxious feeling has subsided and been replaced with joy.

So, here I emerge from the forum shadows to start my participation! *squeal*

Here's where I ramble and give you the set up to my excitement to get the opportunity to participate! I imagine it sounding something like an excited teenager talking about the new [insert celebrity something or other here]. :P

It'll be my first burn (gasp! virgin!) and I know it's going to be an amazing experience. I'm looking forward to meeting more Seattlites and Burners who happen to pass through, in the months coming up as I prepare my self for this new and exciting experience. I've been not so secretly devising outfits, reading the forums, researching equipment and planning a budget, even though I wasn't sure it was even going to happen.

All was not in vain! The stars aligned and my ticket came through!

*phew*

So excited! :D

Tiffany

Return to “The Greeter's Station”