Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Whinneey
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Arctica

Re: Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You

Postby Whinneey » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi all. I'm a first timer, and an old timer! A flower child gone to seed! I'm a recent retiree and grandmother to 5, with a son who comes every year and has intrigued me to the point that I must make this trip! It's a bucket list item, probably my only bucket list item. My son lives in Portland and I'm in Pennsylvania. He camps with his sweetheart, but at the perfect age of 69 I've decided to rent a small camper trailer for this trip. I'm actually looking for another AARP burner to share, as my other half thinks I'm nuts! It's supposed to sleep 4, but two is plenty! Share the shelter, share the amenities, share the cost. So if anyone out there has a parent, sib, etc. who is dying to come in 2016, but refuses to be a 3rd wheel, I'd be interested in meeting to share the experience with a peer! I'm setting up either a poetry or tarot booth, camping and volunteering at Arctica. Can't wait!
Blessed be...

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:40 am

Hola and hello...

Whinneey, youll love volunteering at Arctica! lots of fun energy and interaction. Stick around and get to know us and hopefully you'll find that connection youre looking for.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Postby shroom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:08 am

Hi everyone!

Hey newbs!

Not sure when I'm ever getting back to burning man, soon I hope, but I have gotten involved with local burns.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

House_of_Awesome
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: CAMP AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!

Postby House_of_Awesome » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Hello ePlaya!!! I am House of Camp Awesomesauce

Casas in default camp. 2015's Carnival of Mirrors was my first time to the Burn after 6 years of investigation/immersion into the culture on a local scale.

It was incredible.

I first discovered ePlaya a few years back during my first wave of looking into the nexus of awesome that is Black Rock City and it's lovely citizens. I'm back on here mostly to see what's going on in the Burnerverse and stay connected.

Professionally I'm starting (or attempting to start) a career in film. Right now I work mostly as Productions Assistant doing anything and everything that needs doing behind the people behind the scenes (also awesome). I live in a trailer surrounded by rolling ceder covered hills in north Austin, Texas with one of my best friends who's virgin year on the Playa was 2011 or 2012.

Did i leave anything out?

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 am

House_of_Awesome wrote:

Yes, what gender are you and if you're a female where are the naked pictures?

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:41 am

Welcome House of AW. I'm glad you finally made it. (To both your first burn and to introducing yourself here.) Now I want you to post something on the threads. There's one thread about what you learned, one about what food worked and what didn't etc...Jump right in and let us get to know you.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:22 am

Whinneey wrote:Hi all. I'm a first timer, and an old timer! A flower child gone to seed! I'm a recent retiree and grandmother to 5, with a son who comes every year and has intrigued me to the point that I must make this trip! It's a bucket list item, probably my only bucket list item. My son lives in Portland and I'm in Pennsylvania. He camps with his sweetheart, but at the perfect age of 69 I've decided to rent a small camper trailer for this trip. I'm actually looking for another AARP burner to share, as my other half thinks I'm nuts! It's supposed to sleep 4, but two is plenty! Share the shelter, share the amenities, share the cost. So if anyone out there has a parent, sib, etc. who is dying to come in 2016, but refuses to be a 3rd wheel, I'd be interested in meeting to share the experience with a peer! I'm setting up either a poetry or tarot booth, camping and volunteering at Arctica. Can't wait!

Fantastic to "meet" you, Whinneey! :D If I see another AARP Burner looking for a Pennsylvania connection (or close by) I will try to steer them your way. We have a significant number of AARP Burners on the site, and in the world.

House_of_Awesome wrote:Hello ePlaya!!! I am House of Camp Awesomesauce

Casas in default camp. 2015's Carnival of Mirrors was my first time to the Burn after 6 years of investigation/immersion into the culture on a local scale.

It was incredible.

I first discovered ePlaya a few years back during my first wave of looking into the nexus of awesome that is Black Rock City and it's lovely citizens. I'm back on here mostly to see what's going on in the Burnerverse and stay connected.

Professionally I'm starting (or attempting to start) a career in film. Right now I work mostly as Productions Assistant doing anything and everything that needs doing behind the people behind the scenes (also awesome). I live in a trailer surrounded by rolling ceder covered hills in north Austin, Texas with one of my best friends who's virgin year on the Playa was 2011 or 2012.

Nope!

Great nickname. :D Welcome!
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

cowhunter
Burning Since: 2019

Postby cowhunter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:23 pm

hello

Arne from norway. havent ben at Burning Man but am planing maby to go thes year
bevare of dumb question and strange ways and write something. English is not my language and a dyslexic sooooo.
and super shy.
member of the Dyslexia Association in my native language and more so in English

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:26 pm

Hallo Arne, og velkommen til ePlaya!
Du er langt fra den første Norske deltager på Burning Man, og likeså på ePlaya.
Men... til fordel for alle de andre deltakerene, så skal jeg bruke Engelsk. Vi kan snakke Norsk via Personal Message, hvis du ønsker.

All right folks, you no doubt understand that I speak Norwegian, so I greeted our new Norwegian ePlayan in his own language.
But honest -- I swear! -- I did not say anything nasty about any of you.

So... Arne joins a long list of Norwegian Burners and ePlayans, such as the (in)famous Herring Huggers (Camp Herring).

Arne... just forget about dyslexia and shyness and all that crap. We don't care. All we care about here is good people. So please tell us a bit more about yourself!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

MarkSpark

Postby MarkSpark » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 pm

Hello Hello ~

I'm coming to the burn this year!

There's and ocean and a continent between me and BRC (I live in London), but I'll not let trivialities like that stand in my way. I know I'll figure out the details and I'm hell'a excited.

I had a BM ticket 6 years ago, but me and my american girlfriend had to call time on our long distance relationship, so I never made it. I've been keen as mustard ever since!

I've been heavily involved in European festivals and free parties for about 18 years, including more recently in UK burner events. I love the possibilities and autonomy of temporary communities.

I work as a set builder, making scenery and props for theatre/festivals/film - So my primary drive is to build stuff at this year's burn. I've got a few weeks before and after the event to help with build and take down, plus a lot of experience, enthusiasm and good humour - so I'd love to hear if anyone has suggestions of crazy/creative/fun/improbable projects for me to get involved with.

It's only the start of February but I can already tell that 2016 is going to be a specfreakingtacular year. I can smell it from here!

cowhunter
Burning Since: 2019

Postby cowhunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:47 am

a ja..takker.
not much and say about me. I am cycle mechanic :) lives in oslo with all my bikes. and like art and painter and sculptor. but have not done anything with it for a while.
I think about and sign up as a volunteer and join the build of the city.
since Norway is quite far away and I have yet no on to go with. it sems like a soft start fore me and all my shyness etc a like to work its easy to be part of somting then.
but we must see..

Thanks for the hospitality
and hello to MarkSpark
member of the Dyslexia Association in my native language and more so in English

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:10 am

Hello and welcome to you both!

Keep your eyes open, there will be a multitude of projects coming to the playa that could probably use help in the runup to the event. There is a volunteer questionnaire you can fill out on the Burner Profile site, if you're interested.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:00 am

First time burner, long time listener. First heard of the burn in 97 when some buddies in SF told me about it while I was out there DJing. I was a NC based DJ and promoter in the 90s with ties to the scene in CA (Hardkiss, Wicked, Moontribe...). Almost went in 99 and 2000 when I lived in Thousand Oaks but I was broke and had a dog. Moved to NYC in 2002 and did the whole get married, have kids, move to the burbs thing.

Now that my kids and 10 and 11 and I have the financial flexibility to go. I'd like to bring with whole crew but I want to see what we're getting into first.

I work in the legal publishing business in NYC and live the burbs west of town. I'm very happy to have found the NYC based happy hour events and the Garden State Burner group on FB. I even have a BDVer for a neighbor one town over!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:38 am

Leap wrote: I even have a BDVer for a neighbor one town over!

It's not too late to move further away.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello and welcome! You should also check into the regional group mailing lists, there are some fairly large-ish theme camps out in that area (Disorient and Kostume Kult immediately spring to mind), they do a fair number of awesome burner parties/events in the area, and I think Disorient even does a weekend camping thing around memorial day. Those events are not only great for connecting with other burners, but can be opportunities to get your friends to check things out.

That said, I want to take a minute to thank everyone who's posted in this thread over the years. I'm closing this thread down now, but that does not mean that we don't want to hear from new people. In fact, it's the opposite - we want to welcome EVERYBODY, and invite every single new user to post their own thread to tell us a little about yourself. Save your questions for other parts of the board, this is a place just to talk about you and what brought you here.

newtopic3012.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”