Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:12 pm

He is not amused ,...

............... much

SED

Post by SED » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:41 pm

I'm tellin' ya, peeps. Mac Daddy Zule is the Rule. Da babies drool when he takes 'em to school. Gets more tail than a slaughter house janitor. In the Army they called him Tri-Pod. Homeboy's got back troubles from the strain.
And just look him. Muthafucka is 27 years old!
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.

shadowkittymonster
Burning Since: 2008

Post by shadowkittymonster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:53 pm

LMAO!!!!!

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:06 am

Adopting a Mikie for only under a dollar a day :) you'll get a card in the mail.. with his photo.. his accomplishments his desires and how hes progressing :)

so far I have a few friend from Toronto whos thinking of going but if anyone knows Canadian Geography Calgary and Toronto are not too close.. lol so if anything .. I might make the trip solo - damn Ihate people and their "maybes"
Burning Man NOOB - 2007 - Possibly!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:22 am

Do we need to buy shoes for Mikie?

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:19 pm

do i have to take mikey to see a doctor and other necessities?-- not very good at human care ;)

disco

Post by disco » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:21 am

Hi, i'm introducing my self. Disco Dan from toronto. If your also from toronto and are burning in 2007 let me know...

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 am

[quote="shadowkittymonster"]do i have to take mikey to see a doctor and other necessities?-- not very good at human care ;)[/quote]

Im sure you can do your best :)

[quote="AntiM"]Do we need to buy shoes for Mikie?[/quote]

Size 13 please :)

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:09 pm

ok is my mikie potty trained and stuff? hmmm-- that might be a tough one if your not lol:P

<<<<<---- and this is why i dont want to have kids ( they scare me too :O)

knottyblueyes

Post by knottyblueyes » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Hey, I`m Bri and live in Vancouver BC, i am going to 2007 burn and would love to get some advice from some regulars.

Could someone explain to me how to use this site, I am no computer wiz! Please, I truly do suck at computer stuff
You can talk a great philosophy, but if you can`t be kind to people everyday it doesn`t mean that much to me.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Since I had never seen a site like this before, it took me years to figure out how to post anything.
You've done the hard part.
Here's the site map-

http://www.burningman.com/index/sitemap.html
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:04 pm

hey bri-- youll get used to using this forum-- no prob. and gyre is right, you can find out the (real facts) on that page... good luck:)

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Hey burners and fellow first timers. I'm also from Toronto (hi to all!!) and this is my first time. I've read through most of the important stuff and now have effectively freaked myself out.

I have a ton of questions but the main one is how people from out of the country can effectively contribute to the BM in a substantial way? I was thinking maybe it would be easiest to fly to Reno and then rent a car because the logistics of carrying around a shit load of water and all essential supplies, well, it doesn't make sense.

Also, one other question, I heard there were places to eat, food for which you can barter, which is great, but can anyone tell me if there are vegan friendly or vegetarian friendly food places? I think my anxiety lies mainly with showering. I'm not sure how people from out of the country are set to shower and be clean. I've read all the posts about the showers but can find no real way this will work for people from out of country. There is only so much we can take on a plane. Especially these days.

What do most people do who cannot drive to Reno in regards to showering and ensuring they have enough food, water and essential supplies?

Mikie

Post by Mikie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Totally potty trained :) ur definitely safe :) I just need help to tie my shoe.. :) one loop over around under or something.. no thats a tie.. hmm shoelace uhh help!!

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:01 pm

well since you have tying a tie under control mastering the shoelaces should be no problem.

SED

Post by SED » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Oh my god! The Canadians are coming! Call Homeland Security!
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.

Golde

Post by Golde » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:45 pm

[quote="SED"]Oh my god! The Canadians are coming! Call Homeland Security![/quote]

hahaha, heres another one!

Hi, my name is Lisa from Edmonton, Canada and this is not my first time here.....Ive red through this site, Ive known about BM for Years, been meaning to go for years but have had other festivals to attend to and have lot o friends that go to BM.....SO, My goal is to make it down this year....im sick of waiting, It feels like this is my year!

Im really a lovable Canadian, feel free to say hi! :D

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:01 pm

mikey--sweetie momma will get you velcro straps mmmkkkay? lol :P

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:06 am

Hi Stargazer..... and Welcome Home!

Yes, your idea of flying to Reno and renting a car is one option many people use. One thing you don't have quite right is bartering. It's not really bartering, it's more "gifting". While it is possible that a camp will invite you in for a meal, don't count on it. Come to the Playa completely self-sufficient with plenty of food, WATER, and ice to get you through your stay. These supplies can be purchased in Reno (not at BRC), after you get there.

As for showering, it depends on how much water you bring. You will need to conserve enough to drink to get you through the week. Those camp shower bags work good, don't use a lot of water, and fold up small. Remember, showering is not the most important thing on the survival list. Drinking water, food, protection from the sun and dust storms are.

Anyway, read and re-read the survival thread so that you are prepared for the environment.
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

stargazer

Post by stargazer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:21 am

Thanks so much!! We're already preparing our items and going through the Survival Guide. Lots to learn, but we'll be fine.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:24 am

I agree that survival is first. If you're healthy and take care of yourselves you can have a lot of fun without any of the other junk. For first timers the basics are the most important thing to worry about. If you're friendly, open people, the veterans will gladly share their experience and stuff with you. You'll probably find neighbors who'll let you shower if you provide the water, you'll find people who'll let you let you share their chill spot etc. Of course these are not guarantees and it depends on a lot of unknown factors but you can have fun without those things if they don't happen to become available. Then once you're more knowledgeable about the event you'll be bringing stuff to share with the newcomers.

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm

this is an ar- tard question----- how well does duct tape survive on the playa?

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:50 am

That's actually a good questing other have asked as well. I have not personally used it, but I've heard mixed reports. Some say it works others say it doesn't. I've also heard that it depends on the brand. Basically you should treat it like always, it will do the job, but expect it to fail. Might try zip ties instead, or heavy duty clips. Those are easier to use and don't leave sticky leftovers. If you have to seal something you might try silicone. For most things there is something better to use than duct tape, even ducts.

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:10 pm

QUACKKKKKKKKKK! i was thinking of using the duct tape on my tent (wal mart $30 ozark trail) to seal the top so the mesh stuff isnt exposed--- the more and more i think about it i want to get a better tent:P

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:36 pm

SKM, Before I built my 8x8x8 plywood cube to live in at B.M. a tent was my home. My tent is a four season with only a small vent on the top. Enclosed in a wind resistant shade structure with the rain fly on I had very minimal dust intrusion. It was a bit hot in the daylight hours. I think that some air flow is beneficial especially when it gets warm so you may not want to completely block the vent. Check out pictures of peoples camps to get ideas of how you could go about making a nice easy comfortable living area. The shelter threads here will start cranking up several months before the event. Things I try to think about when building my abode are,
A wind friendly profile.
Blocks sunlight and wind.
Dampens sound.
Dust limiting venting.
Good luck! I am sure you will come up with something great.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:02 pm

Some people make their tents so that they are nice to be in during the day. I would not recommend this. I would say it's better to make a shade structure so you're not couped up in your tent. So much is always going on that it's nice to be out in it, even if you're taking a short nap (with your shoes off of course). If there is a dust storm you don't want to hide away either. They are fun to adventure out and about in and if you want shelter it's a good chance to get closer to your new neighbors and make more and closer friends. Most of my favorite people out there do not hide or try to alter what is given to them whether it be heat during the day or a dust storm or rain. Look at it as an opportunity.

And as far as closing things off, it will work only if you can reflect most of the light off. If not you'll just be making a solar powered oven without any way for the heat to escape. The two easiest ways I've seen people stay cool is by completely covering their shelter with solid reflective or white tarps or by using a material that lets wind through easily and blocks a lot of light. Anything else enclosed seems to cook from sun-up to sun-down. The way I avoid this is by staying out of tents during the day.

shadowkittymonster

Post by shadowkittymonster » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:29 pm

TARPS!!!!!! Thats it!!!

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:33 pm

Make sure you do a good job securing them. They make great sails too. Last year we were camped next to a group of masseuses who set up a beautiful camp made of lots of tarps for shade and wind breaks. We got hit by either a small tornado or gargantuan dust devil (you may have seen pictures) and it was thrashed after that.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:56 am

OUr tent is so small it is only good for crawling into to sleep. But! Our shade structure has evolved into a sturdy comfy shady reststop. Carpeted, with a coffee table, chairs, a cooler for guests, and a cot to stretch out on. True, we have a trailer to haul it in, so I know not everyone can do this, but honestly, a bit of shade and a chunk of something to lie on for naps outside your tent makes a gigantic difference in your day.

We don't seal our mesh top on the tent, we simply spring clamp a fabric cover over it. Currently we've been using a quilted comforter, but we've also used wedding kimono or heavy velvet curtains. Works pretty well, although we always make the bed in case dust get6s in. Sleeping in dusty bedding really, really sucks.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:58 am

Topic drift! Welcome to eplaya!

Return to “The Greeter's Station”