Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:51 pm

Hey glttrgrl...

Welcome Home.

Your city and the gulf region has a special place in the hearts of many folks on the playa. Hang around here and get prepped for your adventure.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:57 pm

Welcome Glttrgrl,

I'm in memphis.
There is a regional.
Email if you need details.

Come to the playa and we'll give you some vowels for your name.

Don't be shocked if the people you know that should come won't.
Something is at work there, but I can't explain it.

In the group I know that should be up for it one person is interested.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 pm

HA! Yeah I guess my "vowels" are missing. I'm used to writing it that way, especially online, since the actual word "glitter" is used quite often by many.

Is anyone organizing any "car pools" or something along those lines?

Gotta get back to work.....
Tish
:)

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.--Dubuffet***

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:28 pm

Welcome glttrgrl!

Well, I am in Wisconsin and don't know whether I am going to be able to make it this year or not (lack of employment and, therefore, money), so I don't think car pooling with me would really help you any....

Last year (my first year, at age 43) I car pooled with some people from Illinois. We met through the Share Resources forum. As the event gets closer, you might want to ask on there. It helps to have someone else to share the driving with.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

nowheregirl

Considering my first BM

Post by nowheregirl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:32 pm

Hey all!

My name is Boley, I'm 24 and considering my first BM. I have heard of the event, and thought about it in passing, but not until recently have I gave it serious consideration. I'd like to talk my best friend into going, because I know it's something she would really enjoy as well. I've read alot about the first timer's tips and have been reading through the survival guide.

I'm not much of an artist myself, but I do love and appreciate many things in art and music, so I am trying to find where I would fit in at BM. Hopefully a bit more exploring will solve that. :D

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:24 pm

You don't have to be an "artitst" to attend burning man. There's so much variety, being well prepared for the camping part, having a good attitude and be willing to jump in and help ... well, you should be fine. Oh, and welcome to eplaya!

FLIPPERVIXEN1

IM FLIPPER

Post by FLIPPERVIXEN1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:30 pm

WEEEELLLLL MY NAME IS FLIPPER AND I AM A GO-GO DANCER ALONG WITH A STILT WALKER AND MY GOAL IS TO SPREAD MY LOVE FOR IT EVERYWHERE I G0. I AM LEARNING WHO I AM SINCE I WENT TO MY FIRST BURN LAST YEAR, AND I CAN WAIT TO GO HOME! THERE ONLY 208 DAYS LEFT. I ALWAYS WANT TO MEET NEW PEOPLE. BUT I CANT WAIT TO FALL IN LOVE![color=blue][/color][size=18][/size]
FLIP

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Nowheregirl,

I'm trying to get my best friend to go as well, but I'm slowly learning that if I want to go, I cannot wait for someone else to say yes. I wonder if you're starting to feel the same way.
Tish

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.--Dubuffet***

FLIPPERVIXEN1

Post by FLIPPERVIXEN1 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:43 pm

YES! U CANT WAIT FOR OTHER PEOPLE! ME AND MY GROUP ARE ALREADY WORKING ON OUR ART CAR AND MAKING OUR LIST.. HAVE U BEEN BEFORE?? ITS SIMPLY AMAZING!
FLIP

nowheregirl

Post by nowheregirl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:39 pm

[quote="AntiM"]You don't have to be an "artitst" to attend burning man. There's so much variety, being well prepared for the camping part, having a good attitude and be willing to jump in and help ... well, you should be fine. Oh, and welcome to eplaya![/quote]

Im so excited about the joining in and helping part. The whole gifting thing just makes me all warm inside, and I cant wait to think of something fun to be as my "gift" to others. :-) I'm glad that you don't necessarily have to be an "artist", and the more I read, the more I realize that.

Thank you for the welcome! :-D

nowheregirl

Post by nowheregirl » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:41 pm

[quote="glttrgrl"]Nowheregirl,

I'm trying to get my best friend to go as well, but I'm slowly learning that if I want to go, I cannot wait for someone else to say yes. I wonder if you're starting to feel the same way.[/quote]

Well, I havent tried very hard to get her to go, so I guess she's not holding me back yet. It's just very intimidating to go to something huge and wonderful like this without at least one solid person that you know. I think that would just make everything easier and better. :-) But...Im not waiting on her forever!! Hah! Hopefully I can hook up with some Burners around where I live (in Indiana), and maybe can get to know them to go in August. :-D

ebenflow

My small gift to you.

Post by ebenflow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:35 pm

My Name is Eben aka Ebenflow aka DJ Ebenflow aka really excited to be finally after 4 1/2 years going to Burning Man 2007 (I GOT MY TICKET).

I have been invovled with the UT burn regional event 3 of the last 4 years.

I wil be looking forward to the year to come!

The preparation has already begun!

Here is my small gift to you.

http://www.musicv2.com/artist/ebenflow

Two of my DJ mixsets can be found for Download or Stream here.

Ignite! is the newest and The Melt is the second old Fav!

I am proud to be part of this amazing event. I hope that I will be able to give as much as I have already recieved.

Thank you
"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove."

-Timothy Leary
www.soundcloud.com/ebenflow

grumble

Post by grumble » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:30 am

Here is Charly from France.

I will be at the BM 2007 for the first time. I will come alone, so if you wish to talk with a french guy with a very strong accent, you are welcome.

I'm 27 age old - and working as web-developper and i'm mostly travling around the world with my Tarot :)

Smiiiiiiiiiiiile: http://www.jean-charles.net/charly.jpg

msn: grumble_grr5 (at) hotmail.com

^^

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:03 pm

Charly,

Are you coming from France? That must be expensive! This will be my first "burn" too. I hope I see you there.
Tish

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:05 pm

nowheregirl,

we should create a camp where people can mingle with others who are going alone......or has that been done?

Does anyone know if that's been done?
Tish

nowheregirl

Post by nowheregirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:31 pm

[quote="glttrgrl"]nowheregirl,

we should create a camp where people can mingle with others who are going alone......or has that been done?

Does anyone know if that's been done?[/quote]

That would be awesome. Cause I'd love to go "alone" as far as away from everything I know here, but I'd like to at least have some sort of support in place for me there. I'm still trying to figure out how the best way to get out there is.... I dont wanna drive all the way there, but I cant take everything I need with me on an airplane!

We should think about this... :-)

MikeVDS
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:55 pm

The problem is... would it be run by just one person? :wink:

More seriously though, if you go alone and want a network you can find any camp that shares similar Burningman objectives. People who like space don't always go alone either. For example, our camp is very independent. We're doing one event, then nothing else is scheduled. No meals or anything. Do what you want.

nowheregirl

Post by nowheregirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:07 pm

[quote="MikeVDS"]The problem is... would it be run by just one person? :wink:

More seriously though, if you go alone and want a network you can find any camp that shares similar Burningman objectives. People who like space don't always go alone either. For example, our camp is very independent. We're doing one event, then nothing else is scheduled. No meals or anything. Do what you want.[/quote]

Thats part of the problem. I dont even know where to start when it comes to looking at camps to join in or possibly be around. There just seems to be a whole lot, with a whole lot of different interests. Any suggestions on how to cruise around and find something that fits?

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:16 pm

I am finding the BM website helpful for just about everything. Granted, this forum is equally informative. As a first-timer, I would suggest reading about last year's burn, maybe even the ones before that as well. There are so many great stories....

On the travelling note: I don't think I can afford to fly, considering that I'm digging for pennies to purchase my ticket to the playa. I wouldn't mind driving, but I honestly do not want to take my car. I'm afraid it may not travel that far. I'll have to figure something out.
Tish

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:17 pm

For example: Last year we had two campers with us I'd met on Tribe, one from Portland who drove in, and one who flew in from Pittsburg. The gal driving brought the tent and food for the one flying in, we provided the shade and infrastructure. As far as I know, they'll be joining us next year; we got along absolutely prefectly. Of course, we're a small camp, and we're in the larger Hushville.

So you just have to start somewhere, here, or over on tribe, and begin finding folks you resonate with. See if you can join up with others, even if they don't have an established theme camp. Plenty of folks fly in, even from overseas, so hang in there, if you want to be there, it can happen.

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:20 pm

Post on this board a while. You'll get the gist of some peoples personalities. You can check out Tribe.net as well. But really if you want to go alone, you should. You never really know people til you meet them in person. I know my camp and most of my village is very welcoming to "fresh meat". Even though I go with friends, most of the time I'm "alone" there if that means with no one that I met before that day.

If you're only going alone because you currently don't know anyone else who's going and would like to go with others, check out the regionals in your area and camp events. Go meet some people before you go out to the desert with them. Unfortunately as a female you will want some sort of network you can trust if you're going to do substances of any sort. If you go alone it could take a few days before you build friendships that you can have a decent level of trust in.

nowheregirl

Post by nowheregirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:36 pm

Thanks so much for the advice. :-)

Yeah, I actually wasn't planning on doing any substances. I may have a drink or two (I am of age), but beyond that, I really wanna experience the Playa at my natural state, and not a "me" that is a result of something I did. But I would still be alot more comfortable if I at least had a few people I knew and generally trusted while I was there.

I have signed up in my Regional's yahoo chat group, and am planning to do their regional burn in the summer to get to know some people before I make the leap to the desert, and hopefully hang out with some of their other gatherings to get to know people. Hopefully I can feel out my options that way.

The more I think about this, the more excited I get about doing it. It just has to be such a life experience.

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:05 pm

You'll go to bars while you're there. Have to watch that sometimes too I've heard, or make sure you're with people you trust if you get slipped something. Not trying to scare ya. I've never personally heard of anything happening, though I know things happen. It's a different culture and you'll have to get used to that, but don't get suckered into think that everyone there is different. We still get scum. You'll notice how the atmosphere changes from early in the week to late in the week. From natives mostly to a large yahoo population.

grumble

Post by grumble » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:54 pm

Hii glttrgrl,

Thank for replying, it's cool to see that some poeple read this section too ^^ Yeps, I will come from France (Brussels-Belgium more exactly).
In europe, we do a very small BM called "the nowhere" in spain - mosly euroburners from London.
It's not so expensif to come from europe, in 6 months is easy to find a cheap flight ticket. The main probleme is to make good contact on San Francisco before the travel.

Never been to USA before :) *stressssssss*

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:27 am

grumble,

My family is from Belgium...well, half of it is. I am the third generation in America.

Never been to the US? Well, I've never been to Europe! And I have been wanting to go to Europe for years!!! I guess I am too lazy to get a passport :(

I hope you have a safe trip!
Tish

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:39 am

I am not planning on substances either. I'm sure I'll have a drink, or two, or three... :D Honestly, I've had my "honeymoon" with many of them. I agree with nowheregirl. I'm only drinking. If you don't want to risk someone slipping you anything, my guess would be to get everything yourself. That's also where a trustworthy friend comes in. There's only two people who are allowed to buy/bring me drinks and unfortunately, they are not coming with me. I guess that should apply to food as well...bring your own. Nothing has happened to me personally, but I think that I would NOT enjoy a substance that I didn't take myself.
Tish

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:09 am

glttrgrl wrote:Nowheregirl,

I'm trying to get my best friend to go as well, but I'm slowly learning that if I want to go, I cannot wait for someone else to say yes. I wonder if you're starting to feel the same way.
Best plan.

I have several friends that keep saying we wanna go to and I doubt they have even looked at the main site yet.

So all of my prep is related directly for me going solo.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:16 am

There's only two people who are allowed to buy/bring me drinks and unfortunately, they are not coming with me.
I'm glad you're safe, but only two? That seems a little paranoid. I'd think most females could be trusted after a short talk.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:49 am

Just two words,Ladies!

Covered cup!

Example's...sippy cup, big mouthed top removable type thingy, carry with you everywhere as well as your water.
Most bars dont offer cups, so you'll need one, and while your visiting getting to know peeps, you'll be safer knowing no easy way to dose your drinkypoo!

Never go into large crowd w/ open top!
Then no problem on dose'ing!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

glttrgrl

Post by glttrgrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:45 am

Well, Mike, I may have slightly exaggerated on that number. You're right though, you can trust most females after a couple of conversations.

That covered cup idea is useful. Thanks!

CapSmashy, that's exactly how I'm preparing too.
Tish

Return to “The Greeter's Station”