Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:15 pm

Welcome.
Since you're not wild anymore you'll fit in fine.
You can park at your camp.
There will be a map of spacing to camp in.

Theme camp is a weird concept.
It is basically anything you want to do that interacts with the public.
'Meet Your Future Self' crossed over into art.
They can be simple or insanely elaborate.
You can find a list of the 2006 theme camps somewhere, I think.
Some good pictures of theme camps at
http://www.marc.merlin.org

Fiction, but a good description in The Man Burns Tonight.
I recommend it.

Tay's novella-best description of art at the burn ever.
http://burningnovel.blogspot.com/

"They create because they need to create. They create for the immediacy of creation and are content to let their creations drift away in the smoke and ash of eternity. "
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Hello Bonnie, and give Jenina our welcome as well,
There is a lot to get to know about Burning Man both on this board and the main site, not to mention on tribe and other places, oh and the thousands of pictures people have posted, and yet nothing can really prepare you for the experience because everyone's trip is different, it has a lot to do with what you bring to the experience and what you put into it. And your feelings about it will change a little with time too. I’ve seen people who were reduced to tears after enduring a two day whiteout dust storm, almost be reduced to tears months later when they smell the dust on there camping equipment because they miss it so much. I love the dust storms myself. As was mentioned else where if you think you’ll really need it bring it yourself. The camps I’m involved with take some newbies but a theme camp experience is a little different from going and setting up on your own. you have to contribute to the camp projects both money and time, and people expect you to spend some time around camp if your camping with them. I would generally tend to suggest a first timer not hook up with a camp, there is so much to see and do and it takes some time to settle on how you thing you can fit into the community and where you’d like to contribute to it. I would suggest you do volunteer for something early on in the week, not a big commitment but a chance to get to know some people and do something that need to be done.

it really is all worth it, wow!

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Yeah.
Even if you can view the full panoramas,
the ultra mega hyper hidef version beats the photos.

chucko

Post by chucko » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:29 pm

I found out about Burning Man in a Car and Driver magazine that I picked up at the barber shop. I want to attend in 2007 but I'm not sure I can convince my wife to go with me. She's worried about taking our new class B motorhome because she thinks it will be ruined.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:07 pm

RVs seem to do well if you are careful about tracking in dust.
You should tape over ventilation intakes before you get there.
The outside will get dusty.
You can always camp and
leave it at home.

Do you still have a copy of that car and driver?
I would love to see how a car magazine deals with this.

chucko

Post by chucko » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:10 pm

Thanks. No I don't have a copy of that Car & Driver mag, but I think it was a very current issue. I was surprised to find burning man in a mag like that, but I thought the article was very well done.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:18 pm

What can you remember about the article?

chucko

Post by chucko » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:27 pm

Of course, cars were mentioned. One vehicle was pedal powered and the others that were mentioned were those that were decorated. The article also mentioned a huge structure made of "seconds" wood that came from Canada. Since the writers were "virgins" to the BM they were overwhelmed by the "craziness" of the event. They noted that nothing could be bought, but they still found a "tavern" where the drinks were on the house. I'm not sure they stayed for the entire time and saw everything although they did write about the burning at the end. I thought it was a very good article with a few small pictures.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:17 pm

If they didn't know anything before they got here,
I bet they were overwhelmed!
A 20 second clip of art cars and robots was my intro.
I'm not sure it was even an event yet when that clip was made.
I had no idea what it was from for some time.

I came for the art cars.
I go back for the people.

If you are a car guy,
then you will love the art cars.

The wood thing was such a big fire that it created it's own weather.
The best video I saw was on guva.
It was the euchrion or waffle.

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:49 pm

"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:24 pm

Not a bad article for car and driver.
If anyone missed it, there is a photo gallery besides the article.
I think the altitude is higher too.

Important thing is water is not available out there unless you get it from someone trucking it in.
Some really good photos.

I used to look at photos and think,
I wish I was there.
Now I look at photos and I think the same thing.
Then I realize I was there.
I just didn't see that.
Or at least from that angle.

The worst thing about it is that you miss most of burning man.
It doesn't matter what you do or how fast.
There is just not enough time.

I want a six week burning man.
That would be about right.

melissamary

woohoo eplaya!

Post by melissamary » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Hey everybody! I haven't been on the eplaya since 2002, but now I'm back to reconnect with online burners. This year will be my 10th on the playa, I'm 27 and in love with life! You'll hear more from me soon

BonnietheCajunQueen

Thanks

Post by BonnietheCajunQueen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:41 am

Thanks so much everyone for the warm welcome and the friendly advice. I think I'm buying the tickets for my friend and I with my tax return. Should be atleast $ 800! Woohoo! Work is pissing me off today! I'd explain it but it is too complicated. I'm overly frustrated, so it always helps to come to this site and think about August's "Green Man" themed BURNING MAN!! My first ever! Its strange how with each passing day, I get a new survival or costume idea, or incorporate new found advice from "veterans" into my plan and scheme. Some nights, I've had quick fleeting dreams about, naked, painted, masked, or outlandishly dressed people, large towers and sculptures that don't make any sense, magic and mischeif, and a reoccuring comforting feeling that I'm back home at Mardi Gras when I'm having these dreams as well. I daydream about it, about how I'll be escaping from this mundane world into a world that makes no sense except that it makes perfect sense right then and there. The dirty, sweaty body being ignored my the elated mind, The crazy colored expansive view of something imperfectly perfect, the feeling that you've landed on an island where everything is different in every way, the feeling that you are stuck in a constant Mardi Gras Parade with no beads or trinkets, and there are more colors than just green, yellow, and purple. Colors that there are no names for, only whispers upon the wind, or screams upon the dust storm. Colors as primal as nature and ancient as time that dance before your very eyes and delight you even after you've gone. Wow, what a daydream, every day. So thanks Burners for giving this 22 year old girl that's too young to feel so burned out on life something new to burn and desire for. What a beautiful dream, and what a beautiful reality!
I'm Bm-curious.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:45 am

Cool description, but after day two, everything is a uniform playa beige dusted! (joking, but not so much, aha!)

When life or work or jerkwads overwhelm you, go into General Discussion and find the FUCK! thread. And yell your fucking head off in there, we all do. Feels good.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:49 am

BonnietheCajunQueen...yes cool discription...write down your idea's...you get elated and forget some...hehehe...speaking from experience!woops!

Yes, default world to you will become a chore here very soon. Its so hard sometimes to keep focused (on Burning!!! hahahaa)

hince why we call it default world...it is not really our world, its just the long ass season we have to endure till summer burning time!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

BonnietheCajunQueen

Post by BonnietheCajunQueen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:54 am

Thanks, antim, for the heads up! and Playa dust beige is a color too!! I'll bet its a good one. I'm hoping to find some people on here and possibly meet them at BM. I know Pinemom will be at the BooBy Bar, and her tutu-ed rubber chicken toting bouncers. HOTT! Where will I find you at?
I'm Bm-curious.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:19 am

3:00 Plaza...somewhere...still havent gotten exact placement...that comes in july/aug
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:44 am

I'll be in Hushville, which will be on the map. Better yet, I'll have Anti M's Home for Wayward Art in Hushville, so I'll likely get streetside placement within the village.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:12 pm

I live in West Wales (in England, SIC), my first BM will be in '07 (tickets bought, flight booked, RV booked).........

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Welcome Cajun. Welcome Goatboy - we know lots of British burners.

dashquatch

Anomity 'R' Us

Post by dashquatch » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:50 pm

If you're going to be at Mighty (Burnal Equinox) on 3/3, come up a take a photo of me in my Burner Threads. (see left) I'll be there from 9pm-3am. I'll also be in the Tix/Will Call booth from 12am-3am. See ya.

Xhile

Hello from the world's bottom

Post by Xhile » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:00 am

Hello from the world's bottom

Or is that the bottom of the world?

Anyway, I live in a place called Aotearoa

better known as New Zealand.

We had a burn 3 weeks back. A real one. It was good. We'll have another one next year.

(check www.kiwiburn.com)

I'm hoping to make it to the original BM in Nevada this year. Have been hoping to go for the past 6 years. Still, funds allowing, I may well see you there.

Kia ora, greetings, @#$!n burn it!!
meh.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:58 pm

Hari mai hari mai Xhile! Hello to you too, hey New Zealand is awesome I was there for some months back in the early 80's...didn't have the Kiwiburn (or BurningMan for that matter) to check out then but the landscape and people were beautiful. Was down in Ngaruawahia for a bit. Hope you make it to BRC this year!
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

easymagicmachine

glad to be here

Post by easymagicmachine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Hello everyone.

My name is Barrett. I hopefully will be seeing many of your faces who frequent this board, this summer, and im really excited about it!

I am an artist out of saskatoon, sk, canada. Im just starting to get the performance/public space thing, and its really feeding me with energy. I graduated from the university here with a bfa in 2005, in painting. I really like bicycles, and music, i like reading, somedays philosophy and other days, goatlist.com. I love people alot.

ok,

im doing a project for burning man this year that is my getting there. The project is called "the easy magic machine". It invovles, hopefully with some funding... Cycling from here to black rock in order to promote not only burning's theme this year but address the idea of space, and space i suppose as consciousness. The world from my perspective is different then any other fellow artist who say drives or fly's down from here, but more importantly the collective consciousness, i feel, percieves the worlds size also by the percieving of how OTHERS move around it. so with this, I will be wearing a gps that will be projected in the local city gallery here hopefully begging people to redefine not only that space, but in that effort become more intimate with their idea of earth and ourselves, and whateva.

anyways im really pumped for the trip and meeting alot of you. if any of you are cycling to burning man or thinking about it, i encourage it ofcourse, but if your along the west coast of the states, you are more than welcome to join or party with us.

I am going with a friend ania, and she is pretty tight with why im wanting to do this, but has her own slant on these issues as well and hopefully she will get posting on here.

you can see some of what else I do.
www.myspace.com/barrettrussell

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Welcome Home easymagicmachine!!!

I really like your idea. You reminded me that I wanted to do an art piece once that would track, via gps, various pieces of trash. For instance, hand out consumer products to people around several major cities with the idea that they would toss it in various trash cans in spread out places. Then the gps devices would show up as red dots on a U.S. ,or even World, map on a gallery wall.

Then when folks viewed this map in the gallery, they might see that these things simply don't disappear, but instead are always out there somewhere. I had a mental image of this map with little red lights glowing day and night for years and years.

Then I got sidetracked by something else and forgot about it. So yeah, I hope you can pull off your idea. And feel free to use mine if you ever have the desire to. Consider it your first playa gift even!! Or maybe just another piece of trash...

Anyways...

WELCOME!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Hello peoples-

My name's Dewey. I'm a total virgin to BM but know way too much about it (from so many friends that can't get enough of it) to NOT come this year. I'm bad with describing myself but I love to meet new people. So far I've never met anyone that's been to the playa that hasn't had a life changing experience, and they are anything but negative or bad vib-ish people. I cannot wait to be a part of this amazing event.

I'm a humble Seattle-ite. I work my 6 day a week salaried job. I play Trance, Psy Trance, Progressive House and keep adding more and more fun stuff to play with. My favorite parties every year are the outdoor parties next to lakes and rivers or in the middle of the desert. Washington is great for pretty much any atmosphere for parties. Burning Man seems to be the ultimate test/party/experience/journey/education/and everything else for me to be at.

I'll be camping with Camp Booty Resin, c'mon by! I'd love to meet every single one of you! :-) Much love to all of us in this world, see you this summer!
2k7 Booty Resin Space Camp (7 and J)
2k8 Emerald City Sound Camp (2 and D)
2k9 Camp John The Jew (8 and C)
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!

boomerang

Post by boomerang » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:48 pm

Hello, I'm Dani Rene...

I just began really thinking about Burning Man very recently, and would love to attend, though not this year, I dont think. Too much prep and money involved for this year...

Nice to meet you all!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:22 pm

Hello Dewey,

That's great that you're already with a camp. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

boomerang,

It took me three years of trying and on the fourth year, things fell into place just right. So stay involved as best you can, even if only hanging around here on eplaya. Check the regionals page for contacts in your area. There's always somethig going on somewhere that will allow you to meet up with burners in your area. No need to wait till next year to meet folks!!

If you're near Detroit, you should check out the "Detroit Dream" Temple project.. Looks like Karine and I will be up there welding and grinding sometime in May.

Welcome Home to both of you!!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:38 am

Dani,
If you are meant for this, make the effort.
You will regret missing it.
You don't need a costume.
You just need to get here and have survival gear.
Bring the luxuries next year.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:28 am

Yes. I regret not showing up the first year I heard about it. I put it off and put it off. Once you go you'll be back every year because you know what you're missing.

If you have to bum change for the next 6 months so that you can afford it, then hitchhike all the way, it'll be worth it.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”