Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
jbillea

HEllo

Post by jbillea » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:19 am

Hi guys My name is Jody(male) . I have heard about BM for years and never got it together to go. But I have my ticket and I will make it this year. Looking foward to getting to know some folks before I get there may be going alone dont know yet.. Got a new BF but dont think it will be for our relationship.. What ya think

BonnietheCajunQueen

Bring Him!!

Post by BonnietheCajunQueen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:01 am

You should bring him.

I have a little issue. I may be getting kicked out of the military! Its very easy to get kicked out of the USAF. I like it there, but it may not be in my cards for much longer. I'll be fine, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford tickets!! Atleast if I get out, I'll be able to go "skyclad" every now and then at BM. You're not supposed to be nude in public when in the Military.
I'm Bm-curious.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:22 am

In the recommended reading you'll find the relationship survival guide. Read it, read it twice, believe it.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ships.html

roldar

Howdy

Post by roldar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm Roldar. I'm a new RPCV (Guinea 06 - 07), and there's a group of us from Guinea thinking about coming and I was just looking around to see what was up.

So 'Howdy! Nice to meet ya'll.'

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi, Roldar! My friend Dorie was in Samoa '04-06; I don't know if she's coming out to the playa this year, but she has Burned in the past. I'll drop her a note and see if she has any advice.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

jbillea

Re: Bring Him!!

Post by jbillea » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Re you from LA If so I am a coonass too
[quote="BonnietheCajunQueen"]You should bring him.

I have a little issue. I may be getting kicked out of the military! Its very easy to get kicked out of the USAF. I like it there, but it may not be in my cards for much longer. I'll be fine, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford tickets!! Atleast if I get out, I'll be able to go "skyclad" every now and then at BM. You're not supposed to be nude in public when in the Military.[/quote]

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:19 pm

Welcome Roldar and jbillea.

Djnos

Post by Djnos » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 am

Hey all my name is Ian and I usually go under the alias Dj Nos when I do music in Seattle or the usa for that matter. I have never been to a Burning Man yet it has been pulling me toward with each passing year. I will be going this year and brining turntables and art too soo I am happy to be a part of this board, and I will hopefully see everybody on the Playa!!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:59 am

Welcome Home DjNos! Can you tell us about your art?

Djnos

Post by Djnos » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome!! I am excited for this year's event, it should be a further expanse of both mind and body for myself and others I imagine. As far as my art, music is really my art, I wanted to setup a structure and mini-stage to put my turntables on and have various other DJ friends of mine spin music all night and day..with ofcourse respect to other musicians in the area. As far as the minicamp I wanted to setup.. it would ofcourse also coincide with the theme of this year's event. Green and Nature :):) Nothing too extreme, trying to stay cheap yet flashy and inviting, and basically just want to have fun is all.. any suggestions? I am leaning toward the construction of a 20' by 20' dome but dont know how that will go.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Keep reading the survival guide and all the recommended reading, and keep digging in these threads

I don't have much to say about music because I camp in Hushville, which allows no amplified music. I hear it all as ambient background, mixing in and out with all the other music of the playa. But drop by and say hi, and adopt some art from the Wayward Home.

My mantra: Be prepared for anything, expect nothing, share your gifts.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:28 pm

I wanted to setup a structure and mini-stage to put my turntables on and have various other DJ friends of mine spin music all night and day..with ofcourse respect to other musicians in the area. As far as the minicamp I wanted to setup.. it would ofcourse also coincide with the theme of this year's event. Green and Nature
That sounds like a great idea. A 20' dome is pretty easy. I would suggest a 2v with 1" conduit as supports. You can go higher frequency, but will end up more costly and more work, but it will be stronger and your cover will flap around less.

Keep in mind that a 20' gives you much less floor space than a 20'x20' room. The circle cuts off the corners, and the walls slope in, so that the edges of your room are less useful. We've done a small club out of out 22' dia dome without a problem, so you might be just fine as long as you're accounting for the actual space you'll have.

smirks

Post by smirks » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:17 am

Hi, everyone.

I've been thinking about going to BM for some time and I think this is the year it'll happen. Really need something new in my life. My girlfriend and I have just started our planning. She's not on here yet...but will be soon. Just wanted to say Hi.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Welcome Smirks. Where is that icon of yours from? I've seen it somewhere before.

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:06 pm

[quote="Djnos"]Hey all my name is Ian and I usually go under the alias Dj Nos when I do music in Seattle or the usa for that matter. I have never been to a Burning Man yet it has been pulling me toward with each passing year. I will be going this year and brining turntables and art too soo I am happy to be a part of this board, and I will hopefully see everybody on the Playa!![/quote]

hey ian! I too am a DJ from seattle goin to BM for my first time. Where about's do you play? We should totally hook up in BRC and jam, or before hand for that matter. :-) I'm bringing my CDJ's so long I can find a tried and true method of keeping as much dust as possible OUT of them.
2k7 Booty Resin Space Camp (7 and J)
2k8 Emerald City Sound Camp (2 and D)
2k9 Camp John The Jew (8 and C)
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!

k-jo420

Post by k-jo420 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:26 am

my name is Kelly and i'm from central Fla. This will be my first year attending Burning Man at 24 years old but I have waited to attend this event since I was about 15. My boyfriend and I will be driving out there so if there are any tips about anything please enlighten us!!! Thank You, See ya Soon!! :wink:

easymagicmachine

Post by easymagicmachine » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:12 pm

[quote="LeChatNoir"]Welcome Home easymagicmachine!!!

I really like your idea. You reminded me that I wanted to do an art piece once that would track, via gps, various pieces of trash. For instance, hand out consumer products to people around several major cities with the idea that they would toss it in various trash cans in spread out places. Then the gps devices would show up as red dots on a U.S. ,or even World, map on a gallery wall.

Then when folks viewed this map in the gallery, they might see that these things simply don't disappear, but instead are always out there somewhere. I had a mental image of this map with little red lights glowing day and night for years and years.

Then I got sidetracked by something else and forgot about it. So yeah, I hope you can pull off your idea. And feel free to use mine if you ever have the desire to. Consider it your first playa gift even!! Or maybe just another piece of trash...

Anyways...
[i][b]
WELCOME!![/b][/i][/quote]
sounds like that would really be a rad project wit the trash, gps'ing trash would prove tricky, but hell, anything is possible, right?

thanks for your support and i am glad to be online with you all. really hand wait to get going!

prem

Post by prem » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:07 am

Hi everyone, my name is Paul, I'm 28 years old. I've never been to burning man before but I've heard a lot about it and I'm pretty eager to check it out. I've actually met up with a few local burners here by accident and they're trying to convince me to go with them. So hopefully I'll be seeing you folks out there in a few months.

Jamm'in

Post by Jamm'in » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:28 pm

Dj Nos, Ive heard you play. Im from the Seattle area as well, and would love to see you on the playa......breakin some beats. Sounds like theirs a whole group of us, first time burners, from the NW. Do you have any events coming up, or hey better yet......would any of you be interested in a Northwest regional??
Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Great Zot!!!

Look at all the new faces popping in!!

Welcome, welcome...

So good to see new faces around here.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:31 pm

Jamm'in wrote:Do you have any events coming up, or hey better yet......would any of you be interested in a Northwest regional??
psst - http://www.massiveburn.org/
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

Mushroom

Re: HEllo

Post by Mushroom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:16 pm

[quote="jbillea"]Hi guys My name is Jody(male) . [/quote]

Heyy! my brotehr's name is Jody, I was just about to phone him up and yell at him for not telling me he had a boyfriend but its 2:11 am and I'm pretty sure you're not him.

Anyhow, virgin burner here I'm Mushroom but I answer to Candy aswell just lookin for tips I'm heading in from the far exotic north of Toronto (lol). Wanted to bring my bike then I remembered it was stolen, and I don't know how much the airline would like me and a friend bringing bikes onboard. So is there anywhere nearby that would rent a bike (I don't rollerblade and last time I skateboarded I ended up with whiplash for a week) And just one last thing is it better to fly in or drive in?

Djnos

Post by Djnos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:08 am

Jamm'in .. right on I am excited about coming out and introducing myself to the playa and seeing what it has to offer ya know. I will be bringing a nice array of vinyl ranging from Jungle, DnB, Dirty Breaks :) House, whatever something to keep my fellow campers entertained :D:D hope to see you there maybe we can collaborate on meeting up before we all venture to the desert :).. ciao for now Can't wait to meet everybody there.

prem

Post by prem » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:08 am

Thanks for the welcome black cat, hopefully I can make a whole bunch of new friends here so that when I do actually make it down to the playa I already know a bunch of people there.

I've got some many ideas swirling around in my head about what to do and what to bring down, I should start writing it all down.

Solar powered cooler, EL wireframe bicycle, hugs (definately going to need to bring lots of those)
Peace, Love and Shambhala

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 am

whew...helloo all you newbies...to many I wasnt paying attention to list ya'll

Im not a dj but I play one on t.v. J/K
I think you Dj's need to speak with seasoned playa DJ peeps. I think bringing Vinyl is bad, unless its a copy and your treasured one will be left at home!
Most all things that are delicate, will be trash when you get back to civilazation. Playa eats through everything!

and If you've never been to playa, and this is your first yr, mine was last yr!!!
Please do yourself the favor of reading everything on the survival guide...really no REALLY!
You can say oh I camped b4, or we used to camp in the desert, etc...

I used to camp 15-20 times a yr, growing up I used to go out for weeks at a time to the mojave and death valley to sand rail with my family....nothing... not one bit of your past will prepare you for the playa!
Read and above all ask questions, but try to read first as most questions are answered in Survival Guide.
then write down your questions, I did and oh boy , lots of my packing was for no good use, so many things I hauled out there were never tounched, so many things I thought about bringing, but didnt, I should have!
...so in a word...read...then LIVE IT! your gonna LOVE IT!
well some will, I know peeps who hated it!
Love and much firelight,
Pinemom
P.s. WELCOME HOME!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

Djnos

Post by Djnos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks for the helpful advice Pinemon(sp?) I will take into consideration what you said about bringing out newer vinyl.. i can always bring my old vinyl and hang it on the wall when done lol. I will be going wth a group of seasoned burners so I should be in good hands when I get into the desert :) I am open to keeping in touch with people before we all get down there... so holla!!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:45 am

In addition to the Survival Guide, the Recommended Reading is exceptionally helpful.

Mushroom, there's not really a good place to rent bikes. Many folks purchase cheap bikes at big box stores, but you are responsible for taking it away too. We've had crap bikes left in camp and had to haul them back to Utah. There is info on folks who sell usde bikes, but I think you have to reserve them. That info comes out in the JAckRabbit Speaks newsletter I believe. A third option is to make friends and contacts with folks in the US who are driving in and can bring a bike for you. Again, you're responsible for taking it away after. We've done that in the past, but our group has grown and we haul in bikes for our air traveling campmates.

If you haven't ridden a bike in a while, get your ass on a bikeseat now. Couple years I took nieces, oh sure they rode bikes as kids, but their butts were sore as could be after a day or two of time on the saddle. Personally, I'm on a four-wheeled bike with boat seats and a shade canopy. Plush.

Rollerblading on the playa? Harharhar ... Not unless you have specialized blades.

If you fly into Reno, you still must find transportation to the playa. Often involves rental cars, but there is a rideshare system in place. It even works some of the time. Little early for that now.

Welcome Home.

BonnietheCajunQueen

Jody Jody...

Post by BonnietheCajunQueen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:41 pm

Did you know that the thing a US Marine fears the most is a man named Jody? Apparently, he bangs their women while they're away...

"Jody, Jody, 6 foot 4, Knockin on my woman's door!
While I'm out here playin' war,
in the Unites State Marine Corps!
3- 4!!!

The song is actually more vulgar than that, but that's the version my dad taught me when I was little and he was in the reserves. But this was also the man who gave us such songs as, "OOOOHKlahoma where the wind comes whistlin' through your knees!" and "You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, 'cause you might roll over a TERD!!!" he's fun.
I'm Bm-curious.

walla b

Howdy, Folks!!

Post by walla b » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:48 pm

The Burnal Equinox woke me up and I have been shyched for the greening, buying st. pats green things, made my man skirt today. Hoo Baby!!! Muchas Smooches and a Happy Burn Day!! Walla B

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Walla b Might you be from Walla Walla??

I forgot my Manners... WELCOME...... 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Return to “The Greeter's Station”