Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
walla b

Post by walla b » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:04 pm

Oh, I wish I were from Walla, Walla. For to be from Walla, Walla. Hemm. I have a grandmother who was the apple blossom quenn of Wanachee, Wa. But she was carted away and noone in the family has been from Washington since. BM '06 was my first burn and I shall not miss another! I'm a Santa Cruzan at the moment.

I have an idea for a 'Karma Wash' with an absolving chalice of flame. You write what you want to let go of onto a piece of paper, and into the flame. This could expand into a sponge wash, too. Popular by the end of the reek, er,.. week.
Anybody who sees this interested? -Walla B

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:11 pm

very cool idea's....
I graduated from walla walla high many years ago.
My sister lives in Cashme just a stones throw from Wenachee..
Way to many church's in that neck of the woods.. Way to Many...
I was in SC last week... campmates live in felton... Blackbird is new to the eplaya and lives in SC also..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:53 am

Decided to Road trip it in... put it up om my MSN name (similar to AIM or ICQ) and an old friend jsut happened to be going to, now I just have to buy a new bike (damn oakville kids stole my bike) thanx for the heads up tho :)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:13 am

Buy a bike lock when you buy the bike. Sadly, they get stolen at burning man too.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 am

Python with a 6 foot cable will lock both wheels when you have nothing else to tie it to.
Light and survives the dust.
If anyone wants cutter proof, it's available.
Heavier though and worth more than a cheap bike.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

icehawk

Apple Blossum Flashbacks!

Post by icehawk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:54 am

I haven't been to Apple Blossum in Wenache in 20 years. Holy cow, has it been that long since my High School days??? Crap, I'm gettin old.

My first Burn will be the 07 Burning Man. I cannot wait!! I'm within driving distance now. Monterey, CA to BM, NV. About 450 miles is all.

BTW. I'm a Burning Man Noob. I've read the survival guide, and most of the recommended reading. Can't wait, can't wait!

I'm also a fiddle playing computer geek that got my butt handed to me by Katrina. As such we now live in Monterey, CA. Nice place to land.

Rich AKA Ice_hawk
Rich
Monterey, CA

Jamm'in

Post by Jamm'in » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Oh yea, Ol' Wenachee.....Not to far from here. I love the idea of a "Karma Wash" very cool. What would keep the flame flowing like a stream? Maybe Im just a lil lost..... :?

And always, a warm welcome to the new faces. Even though Im a newbie too, its always nice to meet people before an event. DJNos, definetly up for meeting, let me know of any events coming to Seattle that would be worth going? Anyone else from the Greater NorthWest?
Pinemom, heres one..... Just cause I know the list is pages long..... What are the top 10 items/supp. you would bring.? (excluding water, food, first aid kit, etc..the basics)

Anywho, ill continue to read all that I can,..... but I cant wait to go home!
Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm

What are the top 10 items/supp. you would bring.? (excluding water, food, first aid kit, etc..the basics)
good pair of shoes and extra socks, ear plugs, hat, goggles, bandana, warm jacket, sun screen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Jamm'in

Post by Jamm'in » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:37 pm

Theirs some double checks on my list, thanks misfit.....

Dance dog, dance!
Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
- Margaret Mead

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:54 pm

Dust goggles.
That fit.
Ticket.

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Post by PurpleKoosh » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:09 pm

misfit wrote:good pair of shoes and extra socks
My personal rule of thumb is 1.5x undergarments and 2x pairs of socks, where x is the number of days you'll be at the event.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:06 pm

Vinegar, Bag balm, deep moisturizer.

Jamm'in

Post by Jamm'in » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:29 pm

Vinegar.......just a lil curious?
- Margaret Mead

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:46 pm

Jamm'in wrote:Vinegar.......just a lil curious?
Vinegar water is acidic - neutralizes the highly alkaline playa dust. necessary to counteract it, lest you succumb to playa foot, etc... Lemon juice works as well, smells better, but costs more...

Don't leave home wihtout it!

Sus

Jamm'in

Post by Jamm'in » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:55 pm

Oh, didnt know that. Thank you much for the info..

.....Add tp list

>Vinegar
- Margaret Mead

qazse

Post by qazse » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 am

Ok...now that I am finally through all the login BS, time to (at least attempt) to get my thoughts straight for this here "introductory" post.

Who am I? Good question; I don't even know that one, but I'll go by Qazse (Kaw-zz-ay), even though my real name is Todd (shout out to Barrett [easymagicmachine]). Anyways, I've been lurking about for a bit now...couple of days or so, just reading old posts and getting a "feel" for the the place. So yeah...

Anyways, who am I (besides the name) is probably a good question, and this is the place to met it out. However, I promise if you follow along with this post a minute or two, it most certainly will be worth your while; it'll either be interesting, or utterly hilarious to you, and thus (either way), you win.

Ok...I'll start from more recent times, and go a bit more indepth...

I am (currently) a fourth-year fine arts student in Saskatoon, SK, Canada. I live with my parents, as it is hella easier to go to university when you don't have to pay for rent/food (whatnot), and I am quite greatful for that, I might add. Basic shit really. Now things get a little more heavy...

I feel like a "black lamb" here...I don't think the same as many people I know, I don't have the same values...basically, I feel I do not really belong in this "situation".

Let's just say that around highschool things changed for me (...no, don't even go there)...what with the fact that I had to cross the whole city to go to school at the opposite end, passing the library and whatnot and with the increasing availablility of the internet in my life, I was granted a certain amount of freedom I had not previously known. Let's just say...I was capable of exploring certain "interests" (...again, no).

I went into chemistry class one day and listened to the usual jargon concerning the make-up of the universe and whatnot (ie: matter/energy/empty-vacuums/billiard balls) and sat there thinking, "BS...how is this any better, any more accurate than what any 'holy book' ever said"? Yeah...I became disenchanted with it, and thus began my "journey" inward, if you will.

No...science is good, don't get me wrong...however, I am not so naive as to believe it's all been figured out; I am humble and ever ignorant.

Yeah...needless to say, I haven't been in peoples good books ever since...looked at as a "crackpot", even though I do not ignore scienctific evidences, philosophy and whatnot in augementing my, more mystical approach, to understanding myself/reality. Thus, I learned early on...I had to hide this part of me in our society; conformity is the word. Not a member of a "standardized religion"? ...Then you are classified a nut job. I'm a mystic philosopher (a thinker), an artist, a scientist....I'm a little bit of everything, but to our society as it stands, I am worthless. Hard to be oneself in that kind of situation, really.

Thus...there is Burning Man. What do I look forward to at Burning Man (as I will end up going, either this year or the next); is it logical to look forward to it? I might say, from what I have gleened in my research (and continual research): yes. I am looking for a space in which to, at least temporarily, be myself that transformation could occur; the facade could be dropped, if at least for that time...I could be me...the self I never knew. Tell me...have I come to the right place?

I'm sorry about the rather long post (to any of you who might take offence in such a long story)...it can go much longer, I assure you. I always consider such things as an "exercise" in truth...

Peace out (and I damn well mean it),

qazse - Todd

P.S. - I am an avid "listener"; I am more than willing to hear out another's story as well, if you have on to share.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 am

Welcome Home, qazse. You've found the right place perhaps, but be warned: expectations about Burning Man as anything other than an interesting and dusty camping trip may lead to disappointment. That said, it is one of the best damn things in the universe, whatever it comes to men to you. There's 40k participants, there's 40k views of the event.

Be prepared for everything, expect nothing, share as you may.

On a personal note, dang, you're channeling my high school years here in Utah!

take care,
anti m

qazse

Post by qazse » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks for the reply; it does mean alot. As you can tell (and as I had forgotten to mention, I do believe) I have never been, but am trying to figure a way out there this year, and if not possible then next year for sure. Either way...

As per expectations...well, you see, I'm not really expecting much of the event itself...but moreso of myself; do you get what I mean? All there needs to be is some amount of freedom (and I'm not talking "break-the-laws" freedom, either) and the rest pretty much comes down to how I will express myself...which I do not know.

As for the view points...I know; probably one of the most interesting things about it is that everyone has their own meaning for it, and hell, I'd love to hear them all.

Anyways, guess that's enough for this reply here...(yes, I like to talk/write/communicate).

Peace out,

qazse - Todd

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 pm

(runs in… swats at the feet of qazse… )

Welcome Home!!!

(skitters over and rubs AntiM’s legs, then zooms back out the door)
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:28 am

Hey! Who's been feeding LeChatNoir coffee beans?! :P

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:44 am

I think someone left out some of that replacement kitty stew... The stores had to replace all the recalled stuff, and there was something about Starfucks volunteering to have a replacement for it?

Good Ointningm, all... They're stripping (the floors) in here. Wheeeeee!!!!

bb

alyse3332000

Hi I'm Alyse

Post by alyse3332000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:45 pm

Hello Fellow Burners,

I am Alyse from Eugene, Or. I am so looking forward to another year on the playa. This year is a more exciting for me because my crew is doing an unregistered theme camp for the first time. I wondered if anyone had any suggestion for power. For example, benefits of buying a generator or renting one, sharing power from a larger camp. Any and all ideas are welcome.
Super Uber Camp

thisisthatwhichis

Post by thisisthatwhichis » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Heya LCN....... where's the 25% more blather?... :lol:

Qazse... ya got the right attitude..... Don't expect anything, be free to self-expression and that of others..... Hope you make it this year....Welcome Home!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:52 pm

That kitty needs a little "nip"..
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

snake

hi

Post by snake » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:09 am

i've been to the burn 6 or 7 times (i forget). i live in nevada and years before i ever went, would see all these hippie vans and marked up vehicles packed to the gills with bikes on top. i'd think 'grow up you old hippies, get a life'. well damn me and my judgemental thinking.
a girlfriend talked me in to going, knowing i love art.
been a burner ever since. this year i'm bringing my grown kids, who always thought i was weird. well, they still will.
i just haven't eplayed before.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Hello snake.

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Nick Collide

Post by Nick Collide » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 pm

Hi - Burning Man virgin here, but I am really looking forward to my first time around. I agree with many of the posts I have been reading about reality seldom living up to inflated expectations (except maybe for sex - I had some pretty high expectations of that my first time around, and it turned out to be damned cool anyway).
I spent a lot of years taking inmates from the state prison here in Utah out on forest and range fires around the western US, so I am used to camping in dry, hot, and dusty conditions. I am kind of thinking that, except for the art and alcohol, BM is going to be a lot like some of the crazier fire camps I have been in over the years.
Anyway, I do have a question that someone might know about: I have been reading the BM web site about use of cameras and it seems to imply that if you are taking video shots, even short ones from a cell phone, you have to register with their media staff. Does that apply to ALL cameras? If that were the case, I would think that nearly everyone in attendance would have to be registered.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:09 pm

Welcome to eplaya, snake and alyse3332000!!

And welcome Nick!!

Never been to one of the fire camps you’re referencing, but I suspect there’ll be similarities and yet a lot of differences. There’s only one Black Rock Desert. Helitack might give you a better idea than I could about all that.

Technically everyone with a video camera is supposed to register it… even a digital camera that takes video. I’ve seen folks that do not. I’ve also seen some who didn’t get comforted about it.

I think really it boils down to how you are acting with the camera (assuming your not toting around a large press-type setup without a tag or obviously videoing a great deal of footage). A rule or thumb I’ve seen used is, if you are within earshot, ask the folks in your viewfinder if you can photograph or video them. It’s just polite and I can tell you from the perspective of the person being photographed (me) I really appreciated it.

And you’ll get different responses within your own camp as opposed to walking around within The Temple.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

BurntDutch

Post by BurntDutch » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:58 pm

My name's Levi and this is my last year of uni at Central Michigan University. I ship out for the Peace Corps in September, but I'll be at Burning Man '07 for one last hurrah (even though I'm a birgin!).

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:49 pm

Welcome.
I applied to go to Budapest and was accepted.
They froze the pay so long ago, I couldn't afford to go.
I hope you have a good time.

Return to “The Greeter's Station”