Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Hi Freda!
Is baltimore really hot?
You'll love the humidity out there.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

fre

Post by fre » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:15 pm

gyre wrote:Is baltimore really hot?
we've had a break in the heat for the past couple of days, but yes, it gets pretty hot here in the summer. 90+, sometimes 100+ with very high humidity making it feel even hotter. I'd rather it be hot than cold, though.

pepperlime

Post by pepperlime » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:02 am

Hi all! My name's Rachel and I currently live in Pittsburgh, planning on moving to San Francisco and going to my first Burning Man later this summer. I am super excited, brainstorming all the art I want to create, and reading everything I can about the event! My friend went last year and told me that this would be something I would love. I totally agree.

My challenges are going to be fitting all my wordly possession in my car (for the move) and doing all this on a tight post-student budget :) (I didn't buy a ticket months and months ago so that's probably going to be my biggest expense). It's ok, challenges are awesome.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:22 am

Welcome to the madness, Rachel! (Oh yeah, welcome home, too!)

Read the survival guide and all the prep stuff here. Remember to bring sunblock and enough water. Keep an eye on the ticket part of the forum and you might find a lower priced one out there (just confirm that it's not a fake - that does happen occasionally).

Most important - leave the expectations behind. As you do more of these, that'll make sense. Don't try to do and see *everything* - and remember the desert gets cold at night!

Hugz...
bb

Soul Game

Post by Soul Game » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:51 am

Hello there! I'm Ryan and I'll be attending this year with my 21 year old girlfriend (I'm 16).

Come from Kansas City, and I'm an in-training synth player (mainly Goa Trance and Ambient).

So, how's everyone?
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead." -Hans Christian Anderson

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:28 am

Older woman :twisted:, and welcome to e-playa. Make sure to read the survival guide. Burningman makes and breaks a lot of relationships so if you're planning on going next year, tread lightly.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:30 pm

Jesus, where were these women when I was 16?

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:39 am

Soul Game wrote:Hello there! I'm Ryan and I'll be attending this year with my 21 year old girlfriend (I'm 16).

Come from Kansas City, and I'm an in-training synth player (mainly Goa Trance and Ambient).

So, how's everyone?
Hiya, Soul Game. I'm clicking with your fine taste in music. There will be plenty of space ambient and downtempo space trance at our theme camp, Labwërks. Be sure and stop by and introduce yourselves. Don't forget to bring your oven mitts for intensive testing and research... IN SPACE!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

DaveDub

Post by DaveDub » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:37 am

Hey everyone,

This is Dave Dub from Toronto. Never been to BM but this year some friends and I have are making the mission out to the desert.

I am a DJ/Producer. Mostly breaks, but really I play, listen to, produce a wide range of styles. I am hoping to play on some stages at the festival this year. I have toured through the west coast a few times. Def the highlight was playing the main stage at Shambhala a few years back. Spinning at the Fractal Forest was also a real treat.

Anyways, hope to make some new friends on this board and for sure can't wait 'til BM.

BTW, here is a DJ set I recorded a while back. I'll be posting more of these in the upcoming weeks.

http://www.davedub.net/audio/djsets/DaveDub-Nov2006.mp3

cheers
DAVE

waywardvirtuoso

Post by waywardvirtuoso » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:51 pm

Hey all. My name is Airen. I'm in Sacramento, CA. This was to be my 3rd year, but can't get the time off work. Found the eplaya while dreaming of Finding a way... ANY way to go this year while at work. I wish everyone that's going the best!! I'll be there next year damn it!

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:46 pm

I missed what was supposed to be my third year too. I recommend robbing a bank and or selling the children for scientific experimentation.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:
Soul Game wrote:Hello there! I'm Ryan and I'll be attending this year with my 21 year old girlfriend (I'm 16).

So, how's everyone?
Hiya, Soul Game. I'm clicking with your fine taste in music. There will be plenty of space ambient and downtempo space trance at our theme camp, Labwërks. Be sure and stop by and introduce yourselves. Don't forget to bring your oven mitts for intensive testing and research... IN SPACE!
Hey Jelly... a while back I tracked down a 3 record set that you'd love. Space Night Vol. VIII. It's simply devine. And I scored a Jens Buchert CD, "Sunrider". love it, love it, love it.

We'll be at the Space docking Party for sure.

waywardvirtuoso,

I'm sorry that it looks like you'll be missing the burn this year. but don't you dare give up hope. And if you don't make it, you can just roll that hope forward towards '08.

DaveDub,

Check out the Stages Seeking Artists and Artists Seeking Stagesthreads for some leads on places to spin!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

foxy00_2000

I CAN"T WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Post by foxy00_2000 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 pm

I am flipping out I am soo excited. There will be four of us, two of us are virgins, and we're driving from Tucson, AZ. I can't wait to meet you all!!
If home is where the heart is, mine will lie in pieces strewn beside the road.

Turambar

I also can't wait!!!

Post by Turambar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:58 pm

Howdy folks,

First time burner here. I’m a 41 yr old guy from Houston TX, looking forward to this soooo much. I had big plans to DO something grand my first year (my son is autistic and I wanted to so some thing on that theme). At this point I’m just trying to get-my-ass-there. I have build a 17 foot EMT dome (I like to build stuff, its my vice). So I have shelter covered. I’ve done lots of camping in the past and read every shopping list/FAQ/Survival guide I can find, so I think I’ll be prepared for (almost) everything. I haven’t really connected with any of the Houston Burners, we seem to have a decentralized group out here.

I plan on driving out. I have room for others in my vehicle (Ford Exploder). It would be great to help share the road costs and have company of the trip.
My plans for BM 07?

Arrive
Drink water
Wear sunscreen
Drink water
Meet people
Help build stuff
Take pictures
Drink water
Absorb the experience
Burn the man
Oh yeah, drink some water

Hope to see you all there. – I’ll be the guy covered in dust :wink:

msrevie

Hi It's Me, at least for now.

Post by msrevie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 pm

:)
Hi, I'm Reva, and I'm in Anchorage Alaska enjoying 20+ hours of sunlight. Was hoping to join in my first ever Burningman this year -- figured kids all grown, now it's my chance. But woman plans and fate laughs as they say. Biopsy didn't come back exactly as i would have preferred so seems I will be sitting this one out. HOWEVER, will definitely be at 2008!!

Anyway, meanwhile thought I could enjoy BM07 vicariously through some of you all, if you don't mind.

And if you know anyone who wants 2 tix cheap . . .[color=darkred][/color]
Reva a/k/a zacsmom a/k/a msrevie
Anchorage, Alaska
"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-- Ralph Hodgson (1871-1962)
"When people care about you they can straighten out your soul." -- Langston Hughes (1902-1967)

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:45 pm

Welcome Home foxy and Turambar!!

Glad you stopped by.

foxy,

Isn't fun to plan and get all giddy about your first trip out? I loved that lead up to my first burn. Fun, fun, fun.

Turambar,

So you like to build stuff, eh? Nice avatar. Come out and just absorb it your first year. There will be plenty of stuff to get your hands on and help with once you get there. So don't sweat not having a big project. My first three years I did projects that I could put in my pocket, like necklaces. This year, I'm working on something a little bigger. Search around... see if you can find it.

LeChatNoir

Re: Hi It's Me, at least for now.

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:52 pm

msrevie wrote::)
Hi, I'm Reva, and I'm in Anchorage Alaska enjoying 20+ hours of sunlight. Was hoping to join in my first ever Burningman this year -- figured kids all grown, now it's my chance. But woman plans and fate laughs as they say. Biopsy didn't come back exactly as i would have preferred so seems I will be sitting this one out. HOWEVER, will definitely be at 2008!!

Anyway, meanwhile thought I could enjoy BM07 vicariously through some of you all, if you don't mind.

And if you know anyone who wants 2 tix cheap . . .
Hello, Reva...

Bad hit about that biopsy. Sometimes I wish I could snap my fingers and fix things. But then I suppose we would all miss out on the lessons we get from going through the tough spots. Looking back on them, I know I'm grateful for mine, at least.

So I can't snap my fingers in that manner, but I can say that I hope you get whatever problem you face dealt with smoothly and that you come out healthier (mentally and physically) for it in the end.

(marks down on calendar... "meet up with Reva in 08")

Ok... now you gotta follow through.

msrevie

Thanks, moi mala matchka

Post by msrevie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:44 pm

thank you, my little cat (croatian). anyway, will do and see you next year. let me know how it was
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Reva a/k/a zacsmom a/k/a msrevie
Anchorage, Alaska
"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-- Ralph Hodgson (1871-1962)
"When people care about you they can straighten out your soul." -- Langston Hughes (1902-1967)

DJBiggaman

me

Post by DJBiggaman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 pm

Hi my name is steven but i go by the name DJ BiggaMan. I had the pleasure of attending 2006 hope and fear.What a wonderful place with wonderful expressiveness.I will be attending 2007 and cannot wait! i wanna link up with theme camps so if anyone needs a smashing good vibe type dudeman to rock it! :D

DJBiggaman

mixes

Post by DJBiggaman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:19 pm

my site for my crew to hear my mixes and view pics from last years burn go to www.positivevibemovement.com i played at cirque de flambe and it was crazy time.....wanna play new stages got tons of tunes!!!!!

Howard J. Wu

I'm BAck

Post by Howard J. Wu » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:35 pm

:lol: On eplaya that is. Took me years after the first year to figure on to log on again: lost name.(Who would have thought to use their real name.) lost password and this site wouldn't let me start over cause my email address already had me assigned. Luckly I found an email I forgot to dump in 2003.

:x I've been to burningman in many incarnations over the decades. I was there last year. This year fills me with trepidations. Too many Virgin burners last year in RV's. I don't mind folks being comfortable, but a group of RV's in a circle is not a theme camp, and makes not for an interactive city I felt a real loss of culture being replaced by big ticket bought items. And this retro theme, I mean carbon offsets at burning man? But my friends are returning, my theme campers will be there and what would I do instead? See the county fair and the demolition derby.

:idea: Myself, I hope to do a infotainment project provisionally named, "Your Boron Footprint." It celebrate how Boron-proton fusion could someday save the planet.

Marscrumbs in Bishop

Etain

Post by Etain » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi - my name is Laura, I live in Toronto. I haven't been to Burning Man yet and won't be able to this year (much as I'd like to) because it's a little late in the day to be planning on all levels...

But, while I consider this for a future year, I have a question. I've been browsing the forums and have seen repeated over and over again to new members "don't expect to rely on anyone". Would this mean that Burning Man would not be an event that someone with a medical condition should participate in?

For me - I have multiple food allergies and am used to fending for myself simply because I have to, but my concern would be whether the atmosphere is such that anyone would help in an emergency situation...

Thanks.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:27 pm

Welcome...People who come to Black Rock City are radically self reliant. Allmost to a tee we are welcoming, friendly enthusiastic and action oriented. If you were in trouble in any way and could communicate it you would be assisted. There are staffed medical posts and a field hospital on site as some times it does come to that. It sounds like you are on top of your situation and so are allready self reliant. Ask your doctor if you are fit enough to participate if unsure.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:28 pm

...there are EMS providers at each ranger thingy...
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:32 pm

There are med tents for emergencies.
Most people will try to look out for you.
There are people out there with much worse issues.
Just bear in mind that it's a long way to a hospital.

You still have plenty of time to make arrangements to go.
Come on out.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:56 pm

gyre wrote:
You still have plenty of time to make arrangements to go.
Come on out.
What he said....... 8) 8) 8) [/b]
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Etain wrote: But, while I consider this for a future year, I have a question. I've been browsing the forums and have seen repeated over and over again to new members "don't expect to rely on anyone". Would this mean that Burning Man would not be an event that someone with a medical condition should participate in?...

Thanks.
Not at all. That phrase is repeated because you should approach this event as if you were camping in the Black Rock Desert by yourself. Then when you get there and find out that there's lots of cool people there too, it like a bonus!!

If you came unprepared and just figured that everyone else would take care of your needs, then you would be expecting others to look out for you. But if you plan for your needs and still needed assistance, you better believe that plenty of folks would step up to help... and fast. I’ve seen it happen numerous time before in varying situations.

casacre

Hurruh for newbies

Post by casacre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:19 pm

Hey everyone! My name is Cass (boy, this is gunna sound bland). I live in Melbourne, Australia. We don't have events such as Burning Man here. I'm very interested in traveling to America to participate. I hope that on this forum I'll be able to meet some excellent people who can share their experiences with me.

More about me::

deviantart
iam.bme
myspace
gravity doesn't grant me the privilege of failure

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 pm

Hey Cass!!

Welcome!

Check out this link to the regionals pagefor info on things happening in your area. There's a link to the Autrailia and New Zealand regional contacts.

You'll find lots of interesting folks around here too, so hang out.

casacre

Alllrright

Post by casacre » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 pm

Thanks Black Cat, I'll check it out =)
gravity doesn't grant me the privilege of failure

Return to “The Greeter's Station”